Photo

Multiple races in DA2?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
728 replies to this topic

Cerberus Operative

Cerberus Operative
  • Members
  • 88 posts
Just to clear this up, having read some of the posts on the forums, can we still choose between humans, elves and dwarves?

Edited by Cerberus Operative, 08 July 2010 - 02:54 PM.

Darth_Trethon

Darth_Trethon
  • Members
  • 5,043 posts
I doubt it.....I think DA2 has more of the pre-defined character approach sort of like Mass Effect....you'll probably be able to choose your gender but I think races are out. There are no origins in DA2.

Kimarous

Kimarous
  • Members
  • 1,218 posts
From the look of things, we might actually be locked as a single character, although this may simply be a particular origin/identity with changable appearance and race...

Although I have to wonder whether or not dwarves would still be available. The only known dwarven cities left are Orzammar in Fereldan and (other place) in (location; near Orlais, I think). If this takes place in a distant land like Tevinter (which I think it will), where would a dwarf player come from?

Cerberus Operative

Cerberus Operative
  • Members
  • 88 posts
Thanks for the info

If true, then its a massive disappointment, as the origins stories were what attracted me to the game in the first place. Still buy it though.

If the origin stories are being cut in favour of a voiced PC then I implore Bioware to change their mind on this, voice dosen't matter.

Edited by Cerberus Operative, 08 July 2010 - 03:00 PM.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
While there are multiple races in the game, like elves, dwarves, etc, in Dragon Age 2 you play a human character.

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 08 July 2010 - 03:01 PM.

Cerberus Operative

Cerberus Operative
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

While there are multiple races in the game, like elves, dwarves, etc, in Dragon Age 2 you play a human character.

This is very disappointing, taking away the chance to experience the story from the viewpoint of different races. If it isn't too much trouble could I be informed of the reasoning behind the choice to remove the origin stories.

the-expatriate

the-expatriate
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

You know, for some reason, this doesn't really disappoint me.

As much as I loved DA:O's elves and dwarves, and the rich backgrounds that came with them... I always felt like they didn't fit the story as well as the human characters. Though I know that people who did their first play-through as an elf or dwarf would likely disagree with me on that

KendallX23

KendallX23
  • Members
  • 1,458 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

ouch.....so much for choosing who we play...a bit limited...at least we can choose how we play

Gorthaur the Cruel

Gorthaur the Cruel
  • Members
  • 3,662 posts
I don't know if I'm taking this wrong but right now it feels like all the customization the first game had will be absent in the second.

Darth_Trethon

Darth_Trethon
  • Members
  • 5,043 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Woooohoooo THANK YOU!! You've just made my day. This is quite possibly the best news I've heard of DA2 so far. That means that making more unique DLC like armors and such be far more varied and unique will be a ton easier for the developers and the character can have a far more deeper story.

Forst1999

Forst1999
  • Members
  • 2,921 posts

Kimarous wrote...

From the look of things, we might actually be locked as a single character, although this may simply be a particular origin/identity with changable appearance and race...

Although I have to wonder whether or not dwarves would still be available. The only known dwarven cities left are Orzammar in Fereldan and (other place) in (location; near Orlais, I think). If this takes place in a distant land like Tevinter (which I think it will), where would a dwarf player come from?

Kal Shirok lies between Orlais, Anderfels and Tevinter, so it isn't a geographical issue. Except DA 2 is in Antiva, Rivain or the Free Marches. The concept art with the mountains suggests otherwise.

dheer

dheer
  • Members
  • 705 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

How is that supposed to be a good thing?

Lara Denton

Lara Denton
  • Members
  • 874 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Can this human character be female? Or is this Hawke a male only?

SnakeHelah

SnakeHelah
  • Members
  • 1,325 posts
Maybe you get to play as that other female in the concept art too? You know, Like you can play Shepard on ME2, but they don't show female shep on the gamebox

Indoctrination

Indoctrination
  • Members
  • 806 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Uh oh... find cover! A ****storm is brewing on the horizon!:lol:

Paromlin

Paromlin
  • Members
  • 260 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

And let me guess.. you get a set surname as well. So people can address you in the voiced dialogues.

Vincentdante

Vincentdante
  • Members
  • 134 posts
This is upsetting for me I loved my Dwarf characters.

sanadawarrior

sanadawarrior
  • Members
  • 448 posts
That seems like a step backwards to me...

Shoko86

Shoko86
  • Members
  • 253 posts
I CAN'T BE AN ELF. MADDNESS.

Lady Catastrophe

Lady Catastrophe
  • Members
  • 721 posts
Damn.I love my knife-ears. :<

Swoo

Swoo
  • Members
  • 927 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Fantastic. So basically we just get to rent Bioware's character like in the Mass Effect series, after having tons of options and creative opportunities in the first one.

I am Hawkicus...just like everyone else. RAH! SPARTA!

:lol:

Darth_Trethon

Darth_Trethon
  • Members
  • 5,043 posts

Paromlin wrote...

Chris Priestly wrote...

And let me guess.. you get a set surname as well. So people can address you in the voiced dialogues.

This would be absolutely fantastic if they did.....hopefully they'll do the whole game with Mass Effect style dialogue trees and choices.

ParalyzedHero

ParalyzedHero
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Paromlin wrote...

Chris Priestly wrote...

Most likely....But  I dont care, as long as we get to customize our character!

JasonPogo

JasonPogo
  • Members
  • 3,084 posts
Well this is very unDragon Age like if I may say so.

_-Greywolf-_

_-Greywolf-_
  • Members
  • 605 posts

Cerberus Operative wrote...

Chris Priestly wrote...

This is very disappointing, taking away the chance to experience the story from the viewpoint of different races. If it isn't too much trouble could I be informed of the reasoning behind the choice to remove the origin stories.

I would take it as confirmation that you do in fact get to play as Morrigans child, I always suspected this but I always wondered how they would implement dawrves and elves as PCs since Morrigan is human and any charcter would have to be either half dwarf, half elf or full human. The fact that you can only play as human confirms that you are Morrigans child.