BG2 on Win7 x64

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Kevin Lynch

Kevin Lynch
  • English Community Moderators
  • 1,842 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
This is pulled from the sticky in the old forums. Check out the original thread for more details and alternate steps, or discuss here.

Posted 10/25/09 03:20 (GMT) by Georg Zoeller

Just wanted to drop by and say that it is possible to run BG2 ToB with widescreen resolution on Windows 7 64bit.

Steps

a) Install G3 widescreen mod
http://www.gibberlin...net/widescreen/

B) Set compat settings to Windows XP SP2.

c) Run as admin or install into a writable directory

d) Double check that baldur.ini path settings are pointing into the right place.

then run bgmain.exe.

Result:

Click Here

Edited by Kevin Lynch, 09 February 2013 - 12:14 PM.

Dsurian

Dsurian
  • Members
  • 821 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3
...what about BG1 +/- TotSC with W7 x64?

dabbister

dabbister
  • Members
  • 15 posts
Not sure about BG1 in the old engine but it runs fine for me with EasyTutu.

Chebby

Chebby
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Dsurian wrote...

...what about BG1 +/- TotSC with W7 x64?

I know it works without the WS mod, not sure if it's compatible with the WS mod though.

Kimmuryiel

Kimmuryiel
  • Members
  • 1 posts
how do I edit the .ini file to use the CLUA console? I've tried editing it, but it says "Access Denied" when I try to save changes to the game directory. I tried saving to the desktop then moving the file to the directory, but it wouldn't read the change. (doing all this as administrator)

jaxsbudgie

jaxsbudgie
  • Members
  • 291 posts
You have to click on 'Compatibility files' in the toolbar at the top, then edit that baldur.ini file there.

EEmotion

EEmotion
  • Members
  • 28 posts
BG 2 runs just fine on Windows 7 64bit, however BG 1 don't, you will need to use Totu.

KCraine

KCraine
  • Members
  • 1 posts
BG2 runs okay for me, but it doesn't save my games. = ( It's REALLY frustrating.

Will this patch help with that? I am running Windows 7, and I've never had this problem with my other OS.

Kevin Lynch

Kevin Lynch
  • English Community Moderators
  • 1,842 posts
You probably installed the game in Program Files (x86). Try installing it in a folder of its own like C:\\Games. Win7 doesn't like giving things access to Program Files and it's better than running the game as an admin all the time.

ErichHartmann

ErichHartmann
  • Members
  • 4,440 posts
I downloaded BG 1 from GOG this morning and it runs fine on Windows 7 (64bit).

Disconnected1010

Disconnected1010
  • Members
  • 1 posts

EEmotion wrote...

BG 2 runs just fine on Windows 7 64bit, however BG 1 don't, you will need to use Totu.

I have the opposite experience: BG1 runs just fine on W7x64, but BG2/Tutu has a sort of accumulating lag-o-rama thing that all but crashes the game after a minute or so.

Robtachi

Robtachi
  • Members
  • 222 posts
I'm having a problem I can't seem to find any info on anywhere. I'm running the 4-in-1 SoA and ToB installed on Windows 7 x64, and for some reason I'm not getting any feedback circles underneath my PC, any of the NPCs, or any other creatures/objects in the game. Is this a known issue? Something that is resolved once I get out of Irenicus' lab? I ran a clean re-install and it was still a problem...

bobdisgea

bobdisgea
  • Members
  • 3 posts
anyone know what to do if only my tutu version is having issues(other than play vanilla :P)

When i start it up about a 3rd of the way into the screen is a big black bar. just covering my screen. can i do anything to fix this?

FrostyThundertrod

FrostyThundertrod
  • Members
  • 37 posts
BG1 will run in win7 x64. but there are some steep need.

1. Don,t install it in prgram files. make a new folder on your hard drive and install it there

2. You must istall every thing to your HD that will take some time if you use the old 5 disk set.

Finaly don't run in compatablity mode.

oyzar

oyzar
  • Members
  • 223 posts
@bobdisgea : It sounds like you have installed mods to your BG2 install before installing tutu, specifically widescreen mod. You need to have a clean install of BG2(uninstalling all mods also work) before running tutu...

icthy

icthy
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Howdy folks, I've been trying to install SOA (would like to install TOB too but can't find all my disks) on my 64-bit WIn 7 machine.   But I've run into some problems.

a) Install G3 widescreen mod
http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

The widescreen mod won't install without BGII installed.   So I take it initial installation of BGII needs to be done first.

B) Set compat settings to Windows XP SP2.

I assume this refers to "setup.exe" on the disk.    Done.

c) Run as admin or install into a writable directory

This is where I run into problems.   When I try and do this, to install to C:/Users/me/Black Isle/BGII - SoA, it initially works, then wants me to load the 2nd disk.   When I do so, I get an error message that says: "Setup could not find a file on the specified path or disk.   Plase check that the proper disk is inserted or specify a new path."

If I go into the disk manually, change the compatibility settings on setup.exe to Win XP SP 2, I get this error: The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.

IKernel.exe could not be copied to 'C:\\Program Files (x86) \\Common Files\\InstallShield\\Engine\\6\\Intel 32'.   Maake sure that you hafve the appropriate priviledges to copy files to this folder. (0x20).

I could go back and change the permissions on setup.ext to "run in administration mode", but that seems to contradict the advice given that installing to a writable directory is the way to go.    I get the feeling I am doing something wrong or out of order.   Any advice?    Thanks.

Things I didn't get to:

d) Double check that baldur.ini path settings are pointing into the right place.

then run bgmain.exe.

CrustyCat

CrustyCat
  • Members
  • 290 posts
I have it installed on my pc with win7 64. I never had to set the compat settings to anything. I just put the disc in and installed to a different directory other than program files(x86). Uninstall everything and start over. Make a directory on C: called games or something like that and install it there. After that install the official patch, then the G3 Fixpack, and whatever else you want. If you run the resolution very high, everything gets too small in my opinion.

icthy

icthy
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I'll try it again the way you suggest. Funny enough, I still haven't completed BGII after all these years. One day...

Thegamergirl89

Thegamergirl89
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I know this may make me sound dumb on this but what is Totu mean?

Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • Members
  • 520 posts
Tutu: it's a mod you apply to a full install of both BG1 and BG2, to play Baldur's Gate I in the engine of Baldur's Gate II, giving some advantages like Tab highlighting items and being able to pause while in the inventory. Should only be used if you take some time to learn how to avoid the Beregost bug: Tutu has a chance of crashing when leaving or re-entering Beregost, unless a bugfix is made (how to do that, was discovered after the latest update to Tutu). But if you're knew to Baldur's Gate, the best advice is to experience the unmodded game first (you wouldn't now what's been changed if you didn't get to know the original).

CrustyCat

CrustyCat
  • Members
  • 290 posts
Yeah, I basically used the Big World Project to merge the two together, bg1 using bg2 engine, install various fixes and so forth. I didn't add any of the mdos tho. I wanted to have an "original" experience, without the bugs. Anyway, BWP made it pretty easy.

Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • Members
  • 520 posts
Big World Project makes use of the other option to play BG1 in the BG2 engine: Baldur's Gate Trilogy, or BGT. Whether you like BGT (installed manually or making use of Big World Project) or Tutu (just BG1 in the BG2 engine, when you're about to start BG2 you start a new BG2 campaign) is up to you. There's a lot of discussion to be found on what is better. Just search for 'BGT or Tutu' and you can find many arguments pro and con for both.

_genetix_

_genetix_
  • Members
  • 38 posts
actually W7 Service Pack 1 fixes alot (if not all 'runs straight up' with 3D accelerations) issues of the BG1-2 so no worries (even the 3D Acceleration) mainly sound fixes although.

Widescreen patch on BG1 with ATI/AMD card is pretty horrible well at least the BG1 on 1920x1200. however the BGT, Tutu and The Big World works great. Although, I think GPU scaling + ITC processing at 1024x768 is much better (on AMD GPU than the widescreen mod at least for my 16:10 display using beta drivers CCC 11.4)

Edited by _genetix_, 15 March 2011 - 05:00 PM.

Jaryd theBlackDragon

Jaryd theBlackDragon
  • Members
  • 151 posts
Ok, I got the installer to launch in the most bizarre way. I was closing up for the night shutting down everything and suddenly the installer popped up whining about there not being a disc in the drive.

So I was like... wtf? ... and popped the disc in the drive. It's installing as we speak. I'm not quite sure what I closed that seems to have blocked the installer, it must have been either Firefox or Clementine (music player, damn good one too). So if nothing else try shutting down all your applications and see if that suddenly makes the installer get off of it's lazy behind.

On that note, widescreen patch seems to work great with BG2 on my NVidia GeForce 460GTX for as much as I've played it (wanted to play through them in order again, but started off in BG2 since 1 didn't want to install initially), I might try to get ToTu going with BG1 as the tab highlighting is pretty sweet (something only introduced in BG2 with ToB as well iirc), I'm not sure if there are any other significat differences, been way too long since I played BG1 (and only finished it once, unlike BG2 which I played so much I'm surprised my CDs still work...)

deathviper1959a

deathviper1959a
  • Members
  • 9 posts
hey guys,

i just reinstalled BG\\tosc, BG2\\tob on my win7 machine, there was a problem with a bif file not opening but checking the baldur.ini the game path was not right.

i am running as admin and in xp sp3 compatablility mode, but as soon as i try to load a game "program has stopped working" crash.

win7 tried to identify the problem and it comes back incompatibility problem.

any help pls as me and a friend want to play multi player.