Jump to content

Photo

CEP_Updater on Windows 7


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1
Baaleos

Baaleos
  • Members
  • 1,055 posts
Someone on my forums is having problems installing CEP2.3 using the cep auto updater application.

When they run it, it vanishes after a second, when they do a 'cep test' whatever that is, it keeps saying they do not have 1.69 installed, dispite them having installed the critical rebuild etc.


Does anyone have any experience with Windows 7?  I myself use XP 64, and have little/no experience with Windows 7.

#2
Barry_1066

Barry_1066
  • Members
  • 10 posts
I have win7 and have no trouble with the updater.



Several things to check:



1) Run the Bioware updater - yes i know 1.69 is already installed but the updater will make certain all is updated properly in the OS registry.



2) Make certain ALL CEP files are in the hak and tlk directories - missing the custom hak or missing the tlks WILL cause the updater NOT to run.



3) Set erf.exe to run as administrator and all NWN exe files to run as administrator as well.



If these three steps are followed, the updater should be running. The updater will NOT run if any one of these steps are not followed and set to rights.

#3
Baaleos

Baaleos
  • Members
  • 1,055 posts
Hey Barry,
in regards to registry.... slightly off topic I know, but
I recently developed a c# application to help distribute content to my players.
BMU,mp3's (which get inflated/converted to wav for nwn) and 2da etc.
For clients who have windows xp, reading from the registry works fine,
however, when I try to read from a vista and possibly windows 7 registry, to get the nwn path, it returns a permission error, and if I request read permission via the RegistryKey.ReadSubKey overloaded method for requesting permissions, it returns a null key.
It only seems to do this in vista or above though.
Was just wondering what you guys built your updater in, and if it was c#, did you have any problems with cross compatability?

The way my updater works, is 2 fold sorta.
Files in a web directory of mine, get processed by a cronjob, in php, taking note of their md5, and files names etc,
then these are outputted to an xml.
The downloader application then downloads the xml to the nwn directory, and then compares local files md5 with the expected values in the xml.
If not present, or not matching, they are added to a download queue, and then the player has the option to download them by pressing the Download Button.
Nice wee graphical interface etc, and displays a nice report at the end of what was updated.
some Screenies of the app can be seen here.
http://www.nosgoth.a...nshots/nrd1.jpg
http://www.nosgoth.a...nshots/nrd2.jpg

#4
Frith5

Frith5
  • Members
  • 330 posts
Make sure it's installed in the right directory: ../NeverwinterNights/NWN

I believe it needs to be there to function properly.

Regards,
JFK

Btw  I am using Win7, and all works perfectly for me. good luck.

#5
Baaleos

Baaleos
  • Members
  • 1,055 posts
k, I am just waiting to hear back from the player to see if the advice helped her out. (its actually her friend who has the problem)

#6
Knight_Shield

Knight_Shield
  • Members
  • 433 posts
Just now reading this ...I clicked on the wrong thing in files recently because I was updating and it said I didnt have 1.69. I found the right thing to click on and *poof* the c/. poppesd up and I pushed ENTER then I was updated .So maybe they clicked the wrong folder like me .