Photo

PC to PS3 Save Import - Can it happen Bioware?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Funkytable

Funkytable
  • Members
  • 6 posts
So, I am a PS3 and a PC owner. Mass Effect was the ONLY game on Xbox that looked interesting to me, and I waited until E3 2010 to see if there would be an announcement for the franchise to come over to PS3 since that is my platform of choice. There was no annoucement then, so I bought Mass Effect 1 on the PC and started playing it recently. Like I thought, I needed a new Graphics card to run it smoother, so I ordered one.

Then this announcement comes out, litterally 3 hours before my new graphics card arrives in the mail.

So anyway...

I started thinking about possibly jumping back to the PS3 for the second installment, since that really is my prefered platform. But a huge part of Mass Effect is the past decisions aspect. Then I thought, would it really be a big deal for the PS3 to read the PC Mass Effect 1 saves and import the saves over to the PS3? I would probably buy ME2 again on the PS3 if I knew I could use the saves from my copy of Mass Effect on the PC.

The PS3 is a powerful system. We could just copy over the save file on a thumbdrive and have it read the data to import the save. I don't know if legal issues would cause this option to not be available for the Xbox saves, but for folks who bought the PC version of ME1, it would sure entice us to buy the PS3 version as well.

So what do you developers think?

Optimystic_X

Optimystic_X
  • Members
  • 5,225 posts
You have a new graphics card; just get ME2 for PC.

Funkytable

Funkytable
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Preferred Console, is still PS3.

Funkytable

Funkytable
  • Members
  • 6 posts
So it's not really a whine fest, just saying I would buy more if this existed :D

DarthCaine

DarthCaine
  • Members
  • 7,173 posts
No, the save format is totally different

Funkytable

Funkytable
  • Members
  • 6 posts
So the PS3 couldn't read it?

Gorn Kregore

Gorn Kregore
  • Members
  • 636 posts
PS3's coding is a lot more different than the 360 and the PC. That's why the console port for the PS3 may end up being a disaster in the end. I mean, Christ look at Fallout 3 PS3 version, that thing had so many bugs in the vanilla and the dlcs than all the other versions.

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix
  • Members
  • 16,171 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Cross-platform importing is, I can't say impossible, but nearly so. Code and format are almost entirely different. There's no way they do that.

Funkytable

Funkytable
  • Members
  • 6 posts
So you guys don't think it could read a file with 700 plothooks?

NvVanity

NvVanity
  • Members
  • 1,517 posts
Well somebody managed to make a program to edit 360 saves on the PC. Given enough time somebody will probably figure out one for the PS3.

Khaanmouq

Khaanmouq
  • Members
  • 6 posts
I'm pretty sure if BW has an interest in this (and the legal rights to do so), they could make it happen.

I have no idea about the different coding on PC and PS3, but even if they could not get the PS3 to read the original save file, I can imagine to make some kind of savegame-translator tool, which you run on the PC and which will convert the original save in a format the PS3 can read, or at least can extract the plot flags from.

The main question is: Would this be in the interest of BioWare / EA? Don't know, its up to them to answer this question.

Dem_B

Dem_B
  • Members
  • 317 posts
I never thought about buying a console, and did not plan to buy it.

I only played the PC version of Mass Effect. Of course for ME3 already need a new computer. But if it is possible to transfer my savefiles from PC to PS3, I have instead of buying a computer might i buy a PS3.

Funkytable

Funkytable
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Glad to know I'm not the only person who would appreciate it.

prof-waffles

prof-waffles
  • Members
  • 14 posts
ps3 owners seem to have this strange complex where they feel they should get everything and never have to get anything outside a ps3.

you're getting a new graphics card. USE it.

Jotamide

Jotamide
  • Members
  • 151 posts
I would love to see this happen.

I think BioWare got the save file import system wrong, I would've set up an online database, where you registered, then uploaded your save file, read all the changes & important decicions that you did, and then just simply logged in your console of preference, logged to the system and downloaded the save just like you would download DLCs.

Altough it's not late to do something like that, at least for ME3!

Vahe

Vahe
  • Members
  • 513 posts
Wait, you want to willingly downgrade yourself from PC to PS3?

Why would you do that? That's illogical.

CARL_DF90

CARL_DF90
  • Members
  • 2,473 posts
I made a suggestion like that in a thread a while ago. Unreal Tournament III for the PS3 allowed you to import files from its PC counterpart and brought up the possibility that Bioware could do the same. Obviously, nobody paid attention and it didn't happen. Oh, well. The odds of it happening now run somewhere between slim and none, but I DEFINITELY would welcome it if it did happen.

UKStory135

UKStory135
  • Members
  • 3,605 posts

Vahe wrote...

I work on a computer for several hours a day.  To me when I think of PC's I think of work.  The last thing I want to do is sit at a desk with a mouse in my hand.  I agree that Gaming Rigs are superior graphically and that keyboard + Mouse is a much better combo, but I prefer the big screen TV, recliner, and controller.

Chala

Chala
  • Members
  • 4,063 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
the idea of a multi-console save game is pretty good actually... but also is almost impossible for obvious reasons

Mars Nova

Mars Nova
  • Members
  • 411 posts
Am I the only one who thinks this is a stupid idea? Not just a PC to PS3 save import, but a save import from any platform to a different platform.

Edited by Mars Nova, 25 February 2011 - 07:44 PM.

shep82

shep82
  • Members
  • 990 posts

Vahe wrote...

^this. I can barely sit through playing a game on my 360 because the graphics are so bad comparred to PC. Same with the Ps3.

Scimal

Scimal
  • Members
  • 601 posts

shep82 wrote...

Vahe wrote...

^this. I can barely sit through playing a game on my 360 because the graphics are so bad comparred to PC. Same with the Ps3.

That's entirely dependent on the port.

If it's a PC to Console port, generally it's been optimized for the PC first - higher definition graphics with better textures and a more complex UI to take advantage of the mouse and keyboard.

If it's a Console to PC port (as ME1/ME2 were, and ME3 will be), it's been optimized for the Consoles first, and since higher quality textures take up extra time and resources, it's the developer's choice whether or not to include them for the PC. ME2 looks very, very similar on all 3 platforms - regardless of the gaming rig. That's just how the textures were made and how the game uses the engine - nothing to do with raw power.

I mean, yes, you could still-frame an action scene and wax sophomoric over anti-aliasing and shadows... But in the end, you're not going to care because you won't be noticing that stuff during the actual gameplay unless you're specifically seeking it out or there's a very significant difference. Which, for the engine they're using, and using ME2 as a template, there won't be.

OP:

Doubt it. The PS3 software was barely cracked a few months ago. There hasn't been time to develop programs to transfer things. The Xbox was much, much easier to hack - but still, you have to modify an already-present save. You can't import new ones from the 'net.

I do like the idea of a common "Save Area" tied to the Social Network accounts, though.

L0RDbyrd

L0RDbyrd
  • Members
  • 1 posts
I also would love this because I can't stand Origin