Photo

Are we done with the unnecessary censorship yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
645 replies to this topic

Marionetten

Marionetten
  • Members
  • 1,769 posts
With The Witcher 2 coming out with full frontal nudity are we going to see any improvement in this department or are we stuck with hilariously awkward sex scenes and surprisingly decent brothels? I must admit I was rather shocked to see Morrigan dress up instead of down.

It would be nice to know if we had more to look forward to than even more gratuitous fountains of blood.

Edited by Marionetten, 20 August 2010 - 05:30 PM.

nhsk

nhsk
  • Members
  • 1,382 posts
Why do we care? It's animated pixels, and if the story goes along with what we see it doesn't really matter.

Marionetten

Marionetten
  • Members
  • 1,769 posts

nhsk wrote...

Why do we care? It's animated pixels, and if the story goes along with what we see it doesn't really matter.

We care because it harms the authenticity and believability of the setting. Something which is rather important for an RPG.

AntiChri5

AntiChri5
  • Members
  • 7,706 posts
Unlikely.

Will be the first thing modded in, and they have less restrictions/rabid media.

Dave of Canada

Dave of Canada
  • Members
  • 17,374 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Marionetten wrote...

nhsk wrote...

We care because it harms the authenticity and believability of the setting. Something which is rather important for an RPG.

But the believability of the setting is also questioned when you can have sex with people because you saved their cat and that there's naked people everywhere.

marbatico

marbatico
  • Members
  • 2,323 posts
if they do that DA2 will get alot of negative attention, just like the Saboteur.

RunNeonTiger

RunNeonTiger
  • Members
  • 124 posts
Well I don't think unnecessary nudity is going to hurt the game in my opinion. It didn't hurt DAO for me and if you need to see bare breasts to believe the setting, well, that sounds like a personal issue.

Lenimph

Lenimph
  • Members
  • 4,464 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Because seeing two woman cow-ride each other in (ugly) undergarments is absolutely ridiculous. A fade to black would have been better then me bursting out into laughter. The "love" scenes just rob from the moment.

thegreateski

thegreateski
  • Members
  • 4,976 posts
Nudity is what the internet is for.

epoch_

epoch_
  • Members
  • 8,916 posts
Just mod it in.

Daerog

Daerog
  • Members
  • 3,627 posts
Only way to get the uncensored Witcher in US was to import or get the Director's Cut edition off of Steam, which came out after original release of course.

Would certainly hurt sales in the US if they couldn't get the physical product in stores in the US; however, I suppose they could just make a censored version, but how dull.

The "love scenes" in DA were funny, and if they are not going to go nude (except with broodmothers, guess they don't count), ME1's type of scene was a good, tasteful route.

AntiChri5

AntiChri5
  • Members
  • 7,706 posts

thegreateski wrote...

Click the blue button.

ErichHartmann

ErichHartmann
  • Members
  • 4,440 posts
Technically a game should be rated Adult Only (AO) for full frontal nudity. The NC-17 rating for video games that no store will carry. Don't care, modding will fix any censorship.

Marionetten

Marionetten
  • Members
  • 1,769 posts

AntiChri5 wrote...

I'm not sure we can blame restrictions and media when CD Projekt ( a far smaller developer ) is doing it.

Self-censorship is a horrible thing. I wish BioWare and EA could move past it.

Dave of Canada wrote...

But the believability of the setting is also questioned when you can have sex with people because you saved their cat and that there's naked people everywhere.

I don't recall suggesting turning everyone into naked nymphomaniacs.

Obviously, it should be applied where appropriate. Such as brothels and sex scenes.

thegreateski

thegreateski
  • Members
  • 4,976 posts

AntiChri5 wrote...

thegreateski wrote...

Click the blue button.

Wonderful.

KathTea

KathTea
  • Members
  • 3,462 posts
Come on, Liara romance got so much "controversy" which is IMO unnecessary... But I doubt they wanna go throught that trouble, even though it's rated M for a good reason. I guess Elder Scrolls style loin clothes would be ok

AntiChri5

AntiChri5
  • Members
  • 7,706 posts

Marionetten wrote...

AntiChri5 wrote...

I'm not sure we can blame restrictions and media when CD Projekt ( a far smaller developer ) is doing it.

They know the first (or one of the first) thing modded in is nudity.

So why force an age restriction on the game, limiting their customer base and potentially drawing media controversy?

thegreateski wrote...

AntiChri5 wrote...

thegreateski wrote...

Click the blue button.

Wonderful.

I thought so.

Edited by AntiChri5, 20 August 2010 - 05:41 PM.

Apollo Starflare

Apollo Starflare
  • Members
  • 3,076 posts
There is definitely a balance that needs to be struck, but it's something the whole games industry seems to be struggling with (yes even the Witcher) so who knows when we'll see a game with content that matches it's age certificate yet remaining tasteful. I'm not holding my breath for DA2 to be blow us away in this department, but I would be satisfied with something better than Origins (which while not quite as terrible as some people make out to be, was still pretty cringeworthy/awkward in regards to this).

Guest_slimgrin_*

Guest_slimgrin_*
  • Guests
The Witcher is meant to be in your face with sex. It's part of the books.

As for DA2, I'm all for sex scenes ME1 style. But most likely we'll get love scenes with diapers cause there are legions of prudes clamoring for less sexuality in games.

Edited by slimgrin, 20 August 2010 - 05:41 PM.

Harcken

Harcken
  • Members
  • 343 posts
I don't care for nude pixels, just make it Mass Effect 1 like and not l-o-l like.

Daerog

Daerog
  • Members
  • 3,627 posts

Marionetten wrote...

AntiChri5 wrote...

Dave of Canada wrote...

I don't recall suggesting turning everyone into naked nymphomaniacs.

Obviously, it should be applied where appropriate. Such as brothels and sex scenes.

Smaller companies (indie companies?) have an easier time doing this kind of stuff than larger companies. They will still have to censor the physical copies in the US, just like the first Witcher.

relhart

relhart
  • Members
  • 3,050 posts
I was living in Europe when I bought The Witcher, so maybe I'm wrong...I'm pretty sure the NA version was still censored though.

ErichHartmann

ErichHartmann
  • Members
  • 4,440 posts
I'm sure the Witcher 2 will be censored for release so stores like Walmart will sell it. Then offer a patch later for those that want it.

Marionetten

Marionetten
  • Members
  • 1,769 posts

slimgrin wrote...

The Witcher is meant to be in your face with sex. It's part of the books.

Yet Dragon Age: Origins was far more in your face with talk of sex. Zevran, anyone?

But nothing was ever shown in any capacity. Censorship caused an obvious disconnect.

slimgrin wrote...

But most likely we'll get love scenes with diapers cause there are legions of prudes clamoring for less sexuality in games.

And the sooner we ignore those prudes the better.

CD Projekt is moving past it. Why can't BioWare?

relhart wrote...

I was living in Europe when I bought The Witcher, so maybe I'm wrong...I'm pretty sure the NA version was still censored though.

The US version was indeed censored. This was a decision made by the publisher. The US version of The Witcher 2 will not be censored.

Edited by Marionetten, 20 August 2010 - 05:47 PM.

Huwmin race

Huwmin race
  • Members
  • 154 posts
i wish we could have romance scenes like this i mean its classily done (mostly) and it isn't like full frontal nudity