Photo

Might the Magi Boon of DA:O play a role in DA2 or continue to be ignored?

113 replies to this topic

LobselVith8

LobselVith8
  • Members
  • 15,114 posts
During the ceremony of DA:O, a mage Warden can ask for the mages of Ferelden to be given their independence, and despite the monumental ramifications that one would assume this would bring throughout Thedas, this boon is promptly ignored in Awakenings. Considering that the Ferelden Circle would be liberated from the Chantry, why wouldn't the mages Hawke encountered in DA2 want to leave for Ferelden? Since that the Chantry has been mentioned to factor into DA2 and Hawke's sister Bethany is a mage, might the Warden's decision in DA:O play a role for Hawke and the mages of DA2?

andar91

andar91
  • Members
  • 4,029 posts
I've always thought that particular boon was especially ridiculous. And I picked it and always play a mage. I just can't see them liberating the mages from the Templars because of one person, and I'm not sure they even should be liberated completely.

Captain Hex

Captain Hex
  • Members
  • 206 posts
I don't know that something which is so variable, since not everyone will have chosen that option, can be that important to the story. Also, simply because the hero of Ferelden and the King/Queen declare that the mages are free of the Chantry doesn't mean that the Chantry will just let them go. Remember, they think that they are following Andraste and the Maker's laws. That trumps the ruling of any mere human lord. Perhaps for those that did opt to free the mages, you will simply hear of unrest in Ferelden regarding the Chantry trying to hold onto their mages, making it seem as though the Chantry is in trouble everywhere, not just the Free Marches.

Dave of Canada

Dave of Canada
  • Members
  • 17,366 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2
I also expected being the Teryn of Gwaren, King of Ferelden and having my brother being Teryn of Highever to be mentioned somewhere.

SDNcN

SDNcN
  • Members
  • 1,181 posts

LobselVith8 wrote...

During the ceremony of DA:O, a mage Warden can ask for the mages of Ferelden to be given their independence, and despite the monumental ramifications that one would assume this would bring throughout Thedas, this boon is promptly ignored in Awakenings.

Was it? I just assumed 6 months wasn't enough time to implement it, I mean with them recovering from the Blight and all.

Minxie

Minxie
  • Members
  • 958 posts
Good question... I'd like to see the ramifications of that in DA2, but I suspect there won't be a lot of change for mages, perhaps using the excuse that the Warden's wishes alone wouldn't be enough to change Ferelden society. Politics and whatnot.

Khayness

Khayness
  • Members
  • 6,750 posts
The Chantry ovverrules the crown. As a prince-consort, second-in-line Teyrn, Commander of the Grey, ruler of Amaranthine I found that statement insulting. Then I killed that templar women trying to arrest Anders and felt good once again.

Arrtis

Arrtis
  • Members
  • 3,679 posts
I have a good feeling it will be ignored.

svenus97

svenus97
  • Members
  • 470 posts
Perhaps a small part of Ferelden only, it's not like Ferelden is really that important in Thedas.

Sable Rhapsody

Sable Rhapsody
  • Members
  • 6,665 posts

SDNcN wrote...

LobselVith8 wrote...

During the ceremony of DA:O, a mage Warden can ask for the mages of Ferelden to be given their independence, and despite the monumental ramifications that one would assume this would bring throughout Thedas, this boon is promptly ignored in Awakenings.

Was it? I just assumed 6 months wasn't enough time to implement it, I mean with them recovering from the Blight and all.

The impression I got too in Awakening was that the particular templar chasing Anders just plain had it in for him.  I got a little bit of the CRAAAAAZY vibe from her, more so than with most templars even.  

Also, implementing freedom for the mages is going to be a gradual, careful process if they know what's good for them.  I 100% support the freedom of the mages, but just cutting the ties one day is not going to work.  And as for the Chantry, they can try all they like to mess with Anora, who's Queen in my game.  I have the feeling she'll eat them for breakfast.

Wittand25

Wittand25
  • Members
  • 1,574 posts
None of the requested boons, get recorded in your characters history, So I quess they wont be part of DA2. The character history always ends with Morrigans departure before the epiloge scene in the throne room.

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,454 posts
It does come up, actually.

Keep in mind, however, that the kingdom doesn't control the Circle of Magi. That conversation no doubt went a little like this:

King/Queen: "We would like mages in Ferelden to be free."
Chantry: "No."

That said, the conversation doesn't necessarily stop there-- as you'll see. We can indeed pick up the boons the Origins player was granted and do intend to use them in the future.

Koffeegirl

Koffeegirl
  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

David Gaider wrote...

Keep in mind, however, that the kingdom doesn't control the Circle of Magi. That conversation no doubt went a little like this:

That said, the conversation doesn't necessarily stop there-- as you'll see. We can indeed pick up the boons the Origins player was granted and do intend to use them in the future.

haha, that's okay my mage Lady Hawke shall crush the chantry....then all mages everywhere shall be free and chaos shall ensue....bwahaha:wizard:

Nerdage

Nerdage
  • Members
  • 2,424 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Sounds good. I had planned to only import the same Origins save for any/all my DA2 plays, guess I'll be trying some other saves too, I just hope March isn't a busy month for me...

Eudaemonium

Eudaemonium
  • Members
  • 2,876 posts
David can you shed some light on exactly how we import those? Because the epilogue save is made *before* the corronation scene, which means it doesn't record that decision, to my knowledge? Would we have to import a save game made *at* the coronation scene? Seeing as we're not playing the Warden, it seems unlikely that we'd get an in-game choice regarding it (ala human councillor in ME2).

Minxie

Minxie
  • Members
  • 958 posts

Koffeegirl wrote...

David Gaider wrote...

haha, that's okay my mage Lady Hawke shall crush the chantry....then all mages everywhere shall be free and chaos shall ensue....bwahaha:wizard:

:D Ah, yes. I'll be playing a mage Lady Hawke too my first playthrough and I hope I get the chance to give the Chantry attitude about how the times are a-changin' and they can't keep control of us all much longer.

Dave of Canada

Dave of Canada
  • Members
  • 17,366 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Eudaemonium wrote...

David can you shed some light on exactly how we import those? Because the epilogue save is made *before* the corronation scene, which means it doesn't record that decision, to my knowledge? Would we have to import a save game made *at* the coronation scene? Seeing as we're not playing the Warden, it seems unlikely that we'd get an in-game choice regarding it (ala human councillor in ME2).

Well, I remained at Alistair's side in one ending as chancellor (by saying I'll serve the crown) and rumors came out that I was the real power behind the crown in Awakening, meaning it did have an impact.

Edited by Dave of Canada, 31 August 2010 - 09:27 PM.

Kyenne

Kyenne
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Eudaemonium wrote...

The epilogue save takes you to a point before the final battle and coronation, but isn't it *made* afterwards, as in it still records those decisions?

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,813 posts
I just hope that the import feature for DA2 is a bit more transparent as far as whats importing, if for no other reason to avoid getting the wrong thing imported or read in DA2. There is nothing worse than to play through a game and get to a point where your imported choice isn't recognized or is bugged (yeah, I'm looking at you, Awakening Morrigan romance epilogue bug...)

Eudaemonium

Eudaemonium
  • Members
  • 2,876 posts

Kyenne wrote...

Eudaemonium wrote...

The epilogue save takes you to a point before the final battle and coronation, but isn't it *made* afterwards, as in it still records those decisions?

As far as I'm aware the epilogue save is made just after you kill the archdemon, between that and the coronoation scene. Though if what Dave of Canada said is right, whatever decision you make does seem to carry forward, somehow. Maybe I was wrong.
If so, i look forward to hearing *anything* about how Shianni is doing as Bann of the Alienage ;)

Elanareon

Elanareon
  • Members
  • 980 posts

David Gaider wrote...

And the Chantry is in shambles right?

NKKKK

NKKKK
  • Members
  • 2,960 posts

David Gaider wrote...

LOL, good post Graider

Giggles_Manically

Giggles_Manically
  • Members
  • 13,595 posts
  • Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

David Gaider wrote...

The Chantry must be taking lessons from the book:
The Qun and You: How to negotiate life and interactions.
Writen by: STEN.

Merlin Dawnweaver

Merlin Dawnweaver
  • Members
  • 348 posts

Koffeegirl wrote...

David Gaider wrote...

Yup, let the fun times roll.

stalkerevotutin

stalkerevotutin
  • Members
  • 6 posts
These boons don't happen to just be dialog, are they? I would like something in gameplay terms.