[Linux] Install Diamond Edition, Original Edition + 1.69 Update + NWMovies

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

HipMaestro

HipMaestro
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts
: 11/16/2008:
This is an updated version of Wolfram's previous guide for Installing Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition For Linux - revised for the Final v1.69 Update and also including instructions for NWMovies!  Also provided is a link to the procedure to install the 3-disc Original NWN Edition. (2012-01-25)

Editor's Note: Due to the limitations of the message formatting, backslashes have been represented in the following code expressions with a question mark "?".  Please substitute a backslash character (where applicable) at each occurrence before you execute the code.

To install the Diamond Edition (assuming DVDs automatically mount at /media/cdrom):

1. Create a directory where you wish to install Neverwinter Nights (the destination directory). Neverwinter Nights Diamond requires 4.6 GB of free hard disk space.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]mkdir nwn[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]cd nwn[/color]

2. Unzip Data_Shared.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory. Unzip Data_linux.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]unzip /media/cdrom/Data_Shared.zip[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]unzip /media/cdrom/Data_linux.zip[/color]

3. Unzip data/XP1.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory (overwriting all). Unzip data/XP2.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory (overwriting all).

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]unzip -o /media/cdrom/data/XP1.zip[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]unzip -o /media/cdrom/data/XP2.zip[/color]

4. Download nwclientgold.tar.gz (7.2 MB) and extract it into the destination directory (overwriting all).

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]tar -xzf ~/nwclientgold.tar.gz[/color]

5. Download nwclienthotu.tar.gz (37.7 MB) and extract it into your nwn directory, overwriting all.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]tar -xzf ~/nwclienthotu.tar.gz[/color]

6. Update to latest version (506 MB).

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]tar -xzf ~/English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz[/color]

7. Run ./fixinstall from the destination directory.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00][b]./fixinstall[/b][/color]

8. To run Neverwinter Nights, run ./nwn or ./dmclient from the destination directory to run the player client or DM client respectively.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00][b]./nwn[/b][/color]

9. If you get this message:

Code:
[color=#FF0000]nwmain: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:77: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.[/color]
[color=#FF0000][b]Aborted[/b][/color]

- - Remove ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]sed -i~ 's|?./lib:||' nwn[/color]

Neverwinter Nights™ Kingmaker Setup

Unfortunately, the premium modules are only available as a Windows installer on the Diamond DVD, so we must use Wine to run it. A registry patch is required to tell the installer where NWN is installed. The installer is linked (or copied) to the NWN directory so it won't try to install the Windows patch which would break the Linux installation of NWN.

1. Install Wine.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]sudo apt-get install wine[/color]

2. If present, remove (or rename) wine configuration directory.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]rm -fr ~/.wine[/color]

3. Run winecfg then cancel, to create configuration directory.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00][b]winecfg[/b][/color]

4. Link drive letter to nwn directory (must be current working directory).

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]ln -s $PWD $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/n?:[/color]

5. Create registry patch.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]cat nwn.reg  nwn.reg[/color]
[color=#FFFF00][b][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?Software?BioWare?NWN?Neverwinter][/b][/color]
[color=#FFFF00][b]"Location"="n:???"[/b][/color]
[color=#FFFF00][b]EOF[/b][/color]

6. Apply registry patch.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]regedit nwn.reg[/color]

7. Link (or copy) KingmakerSetup.exe to nwn directory.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]ln -s /media/cdrom/KingmakerSetup.exe [/color]

8. Run KingmakerSetup.exe to install the Premium Modules.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]wine KingmakerSetup.exe[/color]

9. Remove obsolete files.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]rm -f KingmakerSetup.exe nwn.reg 'premium/uninst Neverwinter Nights(TM) Kingmaker.exe'[/color]

To install the Original NWN Edition (i.e. the set of 3 CD-Rom discs):

Follow the instructions furnished by Skildron listed below

NWMovies

NWMovies puts the movies back into the Linux client just like they are on the Windows clients.

1. NWMovies v4.0 RC1 depends on libx11-dev - X11 client-side library (development headers). The Bink Video command line Player for x86 GNU/Linux depends on libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 libx11-dev[/color]

2. Install NWMovies v4.0 RC1. (Note: Link changed from original post.)

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]wget http://home.roadrunner.com/~nwmovies/nwmovies/nwmovies-latest.tar.gz[/color]
tar -xzvf nwmovies-latest.tar.gz

3. Install the Bink Video command line Player for x86 GNU/Linux.

Code:
wget http://www.radgametools.com/down/Bink/BinkLinuxPlayer.zip
[color=#FFFF00]unzip BinkLinuxPlayer.zip[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]chmod 755 BinkPlayer[/color]

4. Modify the 'nwn' startup script.

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]sed -i~nwmovies '?|?./nwmain|iexport LD_PRELOAD=./nwmovies.so' nwn[/color]

5. Optionally enable Screen Flickering at movie beginning/end fix:

Code:
[color=#FFFF00]sed -i '?|nwmovies|aexport NWMOVIES_GRAB_HACK=1' nwn[/color]

6. Run NWN.

Code:

7. You get this message:

Code:
NOTICE: NWMovies: INI File written: Now exiting. This is perfectly normal!
[color=#FF0000]NOTICE: Your next run of NWN should be complete, and include movies.[/color]

- - Run NWN a second time.

Code:

Tested on Ubuntu.
--
Wolfram Ravenwolf
(Stefan Daniel Schwarz)

NWMovies Issue 01: Skipping movies

A fix furnished by Skildron  on 9/3/2011...

"I switched the kde desktop effects off and through this disabled the composite manager. Lo and behold, the intro movies are playing fine again."

Edited by HipMaestro, 25 January 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Selene Moonsong

Selene Moonsong
  • English Community Moderators
  • 3,350 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Cleaned up some and stickied

cokeCan

cokeCan
  • Members
  • 15 posts
The link is wrong for installing nwmovies, it should be,

wget http://home.roadrunn...s-latest.tar.gz

The rest works fine (putting in the backslashes)

Coke

HipMaestro

HipMaestro
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

cokeCan wrote...
The link is wrong for installing nwmovies, it should be,
wget http://home.roadrunn...s-latest.tar.gz

The rest works fine (putting in the backslashes)

Coke

Corrected 11/12/2010. Tx.

Kithera

Kithera
  • Members
  • 1 posts
A few thoughts:

• First and formost, thank you so much for putting this together. Before I found this, I was only able to find very dated information. This worked extremely well, with only very minor tweeks.
  • On my machine (Asus EEE1015 w/Ubuntu 10.04), the bink movie player would appear to freeze after playing a movie, requiring me to switch to another virtual terminal and kill the process to continue. Removing the local lib directory (./lib) in the nwn script corrected the issue.
  • While I have yet to experiment with the details, the open source 7-zip application can read the Kings Maker installer directly, allowing the install to simply be a series of file extractions. It's a bit easier than messing with wine.
  • I added a "cd /install/directory" to the begining of the nwn script so that it would work nicely when called from anywhere. This allowed me to add it to the menu as an application. I also extracted the icon from the windows exe using IconsExtract www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html. I then used the Gimp to convert from .ico to .png.

doctoren

doctoren
  • Members
  • 1 posts
I'm having a problem with NWMovies. For some reason it will not show every second movie after launch. So I see the Atari and WotC logos and the intro but not the Bioware and Floodgate logos. The movies are playing but the screen just remains black. This I could live with but it seems like none of the movies will play while in game. Starting SoU will just hang at Loading area... screen while the movie is playing. Pressing esc or waiting for the movie to complete will proceed to the game. The same will happend when playing from the movies submenu. The picture and cursor will freeze and will return to normal upon pressing esc or waiting for the movie to complete.

There are some errors in the nwmovies.log but they seem to occuring for all movies.
ERROR: ld.so: object './nwmovies.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
NOTICE: ZoomSurface functions unavailable. The error was: libSDL_gfx.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

Just for the record I installed the game and expansions following the instructions available at nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html

HipMaestro

HipMaestro
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

doctoren wrote...
I'm having a problem with NWMovies.... etc

This topic was originally created just to port useful "How-to" information over from the legacy forum and has been slightly modified since that event.

I recommend posting this as a separate topic in the Tech forum or it will likely get missed by most of the Linux users.  Also, if the problem is related to drivers and/or hardware, you will need to post your full specs and in that case, this is not the place to resolve those issues.  To emphasize the OS being addressed I recommend using the "[Linux]" prefix in the title.

Should you get a satisfactory clarification/fix for your problem in a separate post, you could edit your original post in this thread if you felt it is directly related to the Linux installation procedure.

In any case, I hope you are able to resolve this issue quickly.

Edited by HipMaestro, 31 January 2011 - 06:19 PM.

konjad

konjad
  • Members
  • 36 posts

While I have yet to experiment with the details, the open source 7-zip application can read the Kings Maker installer directly, allowing the install to simply be a series of file extractions. It's a bit easier than messing with wine.

I have tried it but unfortunately even though I have installed modules that way DRM won't let me play them. It says that it cannot be authenticated.

Skildron

Skildron
  • Members
  • 229 posts
Edit on 2011-07-22: Added in the download links for spanish and italian patch files.

These are the download links for the latest NWN Linux client patches and resource files, since the Bioware servers are still down:

English patch 1.69 for NWN with HotU
English patch 1.69 for NWN with SoU
English patch 1.69 for plain NWN

German patch 1.68 for NWN with HotU
German patch 1.68 for NWN with SoU
German patch 1.68 for plain NWN

French patch 1.68 for NWN with HotU
French patch 1.68 for NWN with SoU
French patch 1.68 for plain NWN

Spanish patch 1.68 for NWN with HotU
Spanish patch 1.68 for NWN with SoU
Spanish patch 1.68 for plain NWN

Italian patch 1.68 for NWN with HotU
Italian patch 1.68 for NWN with SoU
Italian patch 1.68 for plain NWN

Neverwinter Nights resource files v1.29
Be careful, download size is about 1.2 GB!

Linux client Files for plain NWN 1.29

Linux client files for 1.62 international

German resource files for V1.29

French resource files for V1.29

Spanish resource files for V1.29

Italian resource files for V1.29

With this you should be able to download all you need. The 1.69 patch never got released for languages other than English, so you will have to go with the English patch for 1.69 which works flawlessly with the Linux client. Then download the community provided 1.69 dialog.tlk French version, German version or Italian version and replace the English version provided by the 1.69 patch - that's about it.

HTH
Greetings
Skildron

Edited by Skildron, 22 July 2011 - 08:01 AM.

HipMaestro

HipMaestro
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts
Aprecio mucho, Skildron!

I will copy this into the general thread on locating patches so we are covered if/when the admins sticky that one.

Hip

Djes

Djes
  • Members
  • 25 posts
Good instructions, worked like a charm for me.

Kjeldo

Kjeldo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
The latest download of the linux binkplayer seems to include source/header files, will it now be possible to 'kill' the 'last?' nwmovie/nwn bug (music not playing when entering the menu first time after playing the intro)?
Well, I actually don't care (I am 60+), but a lot of younger former win$ users do.

Edited by Kjeldo, 08 September 2011 - 04:09 PM.

SpaceSimba

SpaceSimba
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Just wanna mention, when/if it asks for a cd key, CAPS LOCK IS THE DEVIL.

Starfire91

Starfire91
  • Members
  • 2 posts
where could I find a similar guide for the simple 3 CD installation?

Skildron

Skildron
  • Members
  • 229 posts
There is no direct way AFAIK to install NWN from the original 3 CD version on a Linux system. One possibility is the use of wine, then move the nwn directory out of ~/.wine to any location you like and install the Linux client into that nwn directory.

The second possibility is to use the Loki installer. You can download it here. Choose the correct version. For download of all other resources, look further up in this thread for the appropriate links.

HTH
Greetings
Skildron

Starfire91

Starfire91
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Right, but it seems bioware has removed the guide that (i'm sure once there was) explained how to install the nwn base pack on linux. Perhaps some "wolfram's" or similar name?
Around the net, all the links towards the official bioware linux installation guide just send to bioware's index.. pretty useless, and I couldn't manage to find the guide anywhere... Pretty annoying.

HipMaestro

HipMaestro
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

Starfire91 wrote...
Right, but it seems bioware has removed the guide that (i'm sure once there was) explained how to install the nwn base pack on linux. Perhaps some "wolfram's" or similar name?
Around the net, all the links towards the official bioware linux installation guide just send to bioware's index.. pretty useless, and I couldn't manage to find the guide anywhere... Pretty annoying.

What you see here is all that ever existed about Linux install, simply copied over from Wolfram's original sticky (it's clearly explained in the opening paragraph of this guide) and reformatted to this message board before the legacy knowledge base "rug" was pulled out from under the community.  In addition to that, others have provided updates for resources/links that have disappeared over the months following the transition. AFAIK, Bioware never provided any Linux details... only members from community did (like Wolfram).

Since I am NOT a Linux owner myself and cannot help with getting NWN to operate on it (I just grabbed the info quickly before it went *poof* to post it here), any information which can make the installation and performance more helpful I would be more than happy to edit into the original post.

Since THIS topic was never intended to solve installation problems, I recommend starting a new topic, provide your full system & hardware specs, what you have already tried and a detailed description of the exact problem.  You'll have a better chance of getting a response from other Linux users if you preface the title with the label "[Linux]".

Edited by HipMaestro, 19 January 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Skildron

Skildron
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Ok, since I updated the bioware guide on the legacy boards on how to install the linux client from an existing and up to date windows install, I will try to rewrite it. You will only need this if you have the original nwn on three CD-ROM, for the Diamond version look in the first post of this thread.

You can install nwn and both its extensions on any Linux box using wine if you don't have an existing windows install. The guide below works for both an existing windows install of nwn or a fresh one through wine.

To begin with, here is an archived version from www.waybackmachine.org of the original bioware guide to install the NWN Linux client: Click here.

Now to some other files and dirs, in addition to the ones mentioned in the guide above you should copy as well:
database/
docs/
erf/
movies/ (since nwmovies exists)
scripttemplates/
tlk/
utils/ (these can be used with wine)
nwncdkey.ini (saves you the need to enter them anew)
xp1.key
xp2.key
xp2patch.key
NWNHordes_Manual.pdf (move it to the docs folder)

After copying this files and dirs, first you need to make sure some files that may be there are removed:

rm -f patch.key data/patch.bif xp1patch.key data/xp1patch.bif

Next, you will have to download some files if you have not already done so - use the download links below. You can look in this post for further Linux related dowload as well.

You will need:
Linux client Files for plain NWN 1.29
Linux client files for 1.62 international
English patch 1.69 for NWN with HotU (given that you have HotU or both SoU and HotU)

Extract them in this order into your your nwn dir on your Linux system:

tar -xvzf nwclient129.tar.gz
tar -xvzf nwclienthotuintl.tar.gz
tar -xvzf English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz

Next run ./fixinstall

Finally, edit the nwn script in your favorite text editor and remove the ./lib statement from then line that starts with export LD_LIBRARY_PATH= and you should be ready to go.

Greetings
Skildron

Edited by Skildron, 21 March 2014 - 02:02 PM.

AndrzejL

AndrzejL
  • Members
  • 12 posts

HipMaestro wrote...
4. Modify the 'nwn' startup script.

Code:

sed -i~nwmovies '?|?./nwmain|iexport LD_PRELOAD=./nwmovies.so' nwn

5. Optionally enable Screen Flickering at movie beginning/end fix:

Code:
sed -i '?|nwmovies|aexport NWMOVIES_GRAB_HACK=1' nwn

6. Run NWN.

Hi guys!

When running the sed commands I get errors:

[andrzejl@icsserver NWN]$ sed -i~nwmovies '?|?./nwmain|iexport LD_PRELOAD=./nwmovies.so' nwn
sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `?'
[andrzejl@icsserver NWN]$ sed -i '?|nwmovies|aexport NWMOVIES_GRAB_HACK=1' nwn
sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `?'
[andrzejl@icsserver NWN]$

But I think I kind of understood what it was suppose to do so I entered the lines manualy and modified the nwn file to look like this:

#!/bin/sh

# This script runs Neverwinter Nights from the current directory

export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0
export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0

# If you do not wish to use the SDL library included in the package, remove
# ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib:./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_PRELOAD=./nwmovies.so
export NWMOVIES_GRAB_HACK=1

./nwmain $@

and it sort of worked... I can see the videos BUT there is no sound in them... The game itself has the sound working just fine. I get the menu clicks and the gameplay sound works fine too. Only bink vids are not playing sound. Ah I would almost forgot to add that playing videos directly from console using bink player works with sound...

Can someone show me their working (with the Bink videos working with sound) nwn file?

What were the sed commands suppose to do? Is the syntax correct?

I have noticed this:

cokeCan wrote...

The link is wrong for installing nwmovies, it should be,<br />
wget http://home.roadrunn...atest.tar.gz<br />
tar -xzvf nwmovies-latest.tar.gz<br />
<br />
The rest works fine (putting in the backslashes)<br />
<br />
Coke<br />

The rest works fine... ok - what's the story with the backslashes \\?

Thank You in advance for any given help.

Regards.

Andy

Edited by AndrzejL, 12 March 2012 - 12:29 AM.

AndrzejL

AndrzejL
  • Members
  • 12 posts
I think I know what is going on. I think it's the libSDL that's causing the issues:

[andrzejl@icsserver lib]$ ls --full libSDL-1.2.so.0*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 andrzejl andrzejl 19 2011-05-27 16:22:38.322163807 +0100 libSDL-1.2.so.0 -> libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andrzejl andrzejl 405239 2003-04-16 20:49:34.000000000 +0100 libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5*
[andrzejl@icsserver lib]$

What I did was -

I have created new folder inside the lib folder and moved both libSDL files to it.

mkdir ./new\\ folder
mv ./libSDL-1.2.so.0* ./new\\ folder/

I have located the libSDL file in my installation

[andrzejl@icsserver lib]$ locate libSDL | grep lib
/usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
/usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3

I have copied the located /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3 to the ./lib/ folder

cp /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3 ./
ln -s ./libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3 ./libSDL-1.2.so.0

and when I started the game - the Bink videos were working - with sound... BUT as soon as I reached the game menu - X server crashed ;)...

Now I need to see if it was because of the permissions... so I will better post this and try it before X server crashes again... if anything good comes out of it - I will modify this post ;).

EDIT UPDATE 1: No those are not permission issues. After X server crashed and I was taken to KDM I have logged back in and I have started the game - it started with videos working properly and I could play the game as expected. I have rebooted and started the game - it crashed so I logged back into the KDE4 and the game crashed yet again... Weird... Will try investigating... Maybe compiling newer libSDL version... Will see what's the story.

Regards.

Andy

Edited by AndrzejL, 12 March 2012 - 12:33 AM.

AndrzejL

AndrzejL
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Whoa... Removing the libSDL* files from the ./lib folder completely seems to be fixing the issue... no libSDL files, X server not crashing, movies in game are playing with sound...

Go figure... Hehehe...

EDIT:

Ok for some weird reason I wanted the libSDL in the ./lib folder... Don't know why - I just did... Don't ask me...

Please note that this little manual does not installs anything. Please note that this manual does not removes anything from Your installation nor does it modifies anything within it. All You do is compile a certain lib (You do not actually make install it - just compiling as user). Please note that this little manual creates a backup copies of all the files that are being necessary to recover if anything goes wrong. If You are not sure of what is being done - please do not use this manual - yes it's easy and simple but I will not take any responsibility for something that could go wrong. Yes it worked flawlessly here but Your milage may vary. If You do decide to follow this little manual - please think - it does not hurts and may actualy help :P...

Here is what I did:

Downloaded latest available libSDL to my home folder:

[quote]wget -c http://www.libsdl.or...L-1.2.15.tar.gz[/quote]
Verified the gpg for the file

[quote]wget -c http://www.libsdl.or...2.15.tar.gz.sig[/quote]
[quote]wget -c http://slouken.libsd...uken-pubkey.asc[/quote]
[quote]gpg ./slouken-pubkey.asc[/quote]
[quote]pub  1024D/A7763BE6 2001-01-05 Sam Lantinga <slouken at libsdl.org>
sub  1024g/06F8768C 2001-01-05[/quote]

[quote]gpg --verify ./SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz.sig ./SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz[/quote]
[quote]gpg: Signature made Sat 21 Jan 2012 02:41:53 AM GMT using DSA key ID A7763BE6
gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found[/quote]

Unpacked it:

[quote]tar -zxvf ./SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz[/quote]
Entered the cd ./SDL-1.2.15 folder.

[quote]cd ./SDL-1.2.15[/quote]
Ran a few commands to prepare the compilation:

[quote]export PREFIX=`echo /usr/`[/quote]
[quote]export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH[/quote]
[quote]export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:$PREFIX/share/pkgconfig[/quote]
Then I have triggered the autogen script:

[quote]./autogen.sh --prefix=$PREFIX[/quote]
Which then told me:

[quote]Now you are ready to run ./configure[/quote]
And so I did:

[quote]./configure --prefix=$PREFIX[/quote]

After a while it was done and it was 'make' time (You may experience some dependacy issues - solve them by installing the appropriate devel packages for Your system - I had some devels installed as I am compiling stuff sometimes so I had no issues).

[quote]make[/quote]
Making will take a while... After that You need to locate the newly "made" libSDL file.

Gain root privilages

[quote]su[/quote]
[quote]root password[/quote]

Update the base of all files in Your installation

[quote]updatedb[/quote]
Loose the root's privilages - You no longer need them.

[quote]exit[/quote]
Locate the file

[quote]locate libSDL-1.2.so.0. | grep home[/quote]

File was found in:

[quote]/home/andrzejl/SDL-1.2.15/build/.libs/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4[/quote]
Now You can move Yourself to the lib folder in the game directory - in my case /media/games/NWN/lib/ - your milage may vary.

[quote]cd /media/games/NWN/lib/[/quote]

Create folder that will be a backup folder for old libSDL files

[quote]mkdir ./libSDL_BackUp[/quote]

Move old libSDL files to the newly created backup folder

[quote]mv ./libSDL-1* ./libSDL_BackUp/[/quote]

Now copy the compiled libSDL file to the game lib folder

[quote]cp ~/SDL-1.2.15/build/.libs/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4 ./[/quote]

And make symlink to it called libSDL-1.2.so.0 (just like it was called previously).

[quote]ln -s ./libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4 ./libSDL-1.2.so.0[/quote]

Now try playing the game - start it the way You always do.

If it worked for You - great - enjoy the movies with sound in the game.

Regards.

Andy

Edited by AndrzejL, 12 March 2012 - 02:47 AM.

HipMaestro

HipMaestro
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

AndrzejL wrote...
The rest works fine... ok - what's the story with the backslashes ?

It's the way these boards translate a backslash character.

When a member types one in, the final post will display 2 of them, duplicating it for some reason, I guess it's the way the forum code is compiled.  If you type in 2 backslashes, it will display 4, etc.  There is no work-around ,unfortunately ,so I used a character that doesn't USUALLY get used in shell commands (the "?") and instructed potential Linux users to make the subsitution before they ran the code.  This was never an issue on the legacy boards (i.e. no weirdo control characters) but it is here.  Most digital editors and word processors provide a reather straight-forward way to make a global substituion of this kind so should be manageable.

Incidentally, I myself do not now and never have owned a Linux OS.  I just felt the instructions were important enough to grab and copy over when the legacy boards shut down before they when *poof*.  Apparently, it was worth the effort. ;)

Skildron

Skildron
  • Members
  • 229 posts

AndrzejL wrote...

Ok for some weird reason I wanted the libSDL in the ./lib folder... Don't know why - I just did... Don't ask me...

You did a lot of work - the easy way out would have been to change the line

in you nwn script to this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Then nwn would have used your system's libSDL because ldd, the dynamic linker, would not know anything about another version of libSDL shipped with nwn.

Greetings
Skildron

Edited by Skildron, 12 March 2012 - 09:24 AM.

AndrzejL

AndrzejL
  • Members
  • 12 posts

HipMaestro wrote...

AndrzejL wrote...
The rest works fine... ok - what's the story with the backslashes ?

It's the way these boards translate a backslash character.

When
a member types one in, the final post will display 2 of them,
duplicating it for some reason, I guess it's the way the forum code is
compiled.  If you type in 2 backslashes, it will display 4, etc.  There
is no work-around ,unfortunately ,so I used a character that doesn't
USUALLY get used in shell commands (the "?") and instructed potential
Linux users to make the subsitution before they ran the code.  This was
never an issue on the legacy boards (i.e. no weirdo control characters)
but it is here.  Most digital editors and word processors provide a
reather straight-forward way to make a global substituion of this kind
so should be manageable.

Incidentally, I myself do not now and
never have owned a Linux OS.  I just felt the instructions were
important enough to grab and copy over when the legacy boards shut down
before they when *poof*.  Apparently, it was worth the effort. ;)

Hehe ok - I understand now - all I had to do is replace ? with \\ in the command?

EDIT: DUH! It works...

Thanks for "grabbing" the copy of the instructions. It was annoying to not to be able to find them...

Btw... You don't own Linux OS... It's the Linux OS that owns You ;) hehehe that's the beauty of it.

Regards.

Andy

Skildron wrote...

AndrzejL wrote...

You did a lot of work - the easy way out would have been to change the line

in you nwn script to this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Then
nwn would have used your system's libSDL because ldd, the dynamic
linker, would not know anything about another version of libSDL shipped
with nwn.

Greetings
Skildron

Ah yes - but when I did that - the game kept crashing on me :) (plus there are some other links in the lib folder I have in the link to the miles folder and the libmss file) so I took the longer route to have the game + the movies working perfect... :D. Time well spent my friend :D - plus since I used slightly different method of installation I can now make a crossover bottle out of the game and move it easily between my machines :).

Regards.

Andy

Edited by AndrzejL, 12 March 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Kato_Yang

Kato_Yang
  • Members
  • 261 posts
Excellent infos here, TYVM! By the way, what would be the best Linux distro for speed and stability, knowing that I use my comp to write modules + host and sometimes play the game? I'm new to Linux and looking at some forums I have just discovered Puppy Linux wich is apparently the fastest distro, but I'm wondering if it has what it takes?

Thank you!

Kato