Photo

What's the verdict on auto-attack?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
It was implied that the jury was still out on whether auto-attack would be included in the console version a couple times:
Here about 6 minutes in by David Gaider
and here about 2 and a half minutes in by Sebastian Hanlon

Then Peter Thomas, in his Gameplay/RPG Systems thread, said this:

fchopin wrote...

Will the pc continue to fight when a target is selected even if a target moves position?  or will the pc just stand and do nothing until the player selects another target?

If you attack a target on the PC, your character will keep attacking and follow until it dies or you tell him to do something different. On console your character doesn't do that by default, but can be ordered to from the radial menu.

Is that the official decision? It's not on by default but you can select it on the radial menu? If that is the case, is it an option you can turn on in the menu, or is it actually an "auto-attack" command you give to a specific person for the duration of a specific foe's life? Or has the official decision still not been made yet?

If you don't want to answer I understand, but I'm curious. I certainly didn't feel like anything was missing while playing the demo at PAX, in any case. It was plenty fast enough, even without Varric's exaggeration giving me extra abilities. But still it would be nice to know what the official word is.

Edited by SirOccam, 18 September 2010 - 04:31 AM.

B3taMaxxx

B3taMaxxx
  • Members
  • 1,864 posts
I don't see how it would even work if it wasn't a toggle feature. If you have to prompt the radial to set auto-attack on each individual enemy then there's absolutely no point in including the feature. It's funny how poorly they judge their audience when features like this are as important to them as they are. Dragon Age didn't sell well on the console because players 'preteneded' the game was different. Perhaps an 'Action' toggle would be better. That way all the people who purchased, played and enjoyed DA: Origins on the console will still be able to play and enjoy DA2; 'Action' toggle [off]

I just find all these 'features' silly.

Edited by B3taMaxxx, 18 September 2010 - 05:05 AM.

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts
Like I said I thought it worked fine without it (and I didn't know it was an option in the radial menu, or if it was even enabled) on the console. Instead pressing A performed an attack, but it didn't start them attacking. This would get old on a PC, having to continually click over and over on the same enemy, but it feels right on a controller.

I would like to hear the official ruling straight from the horse's mouth, though. I'm also confused by the idea of having it in the radial menu. Like you say, it seems an odd compromise. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding how it works.

Elvis1

Elvis1
  • Members
  • 1 posts
i am new how do u play this or whatever

HopHazzard

HopHazzard
  • Members
  • 1,478 posts

SirOccam wrote...

Like I said I thought it worked fine without it (and I didn't know it was an option in the radial menu, or if it was even enabled) on the console. Instead pressing A performed an attack, but it didn't start them attacking. This would get old on a PC, having to continually click over and over on the same enemy, but it feels right on a controller.

I would like to hear the official ruling straight from the horse's mouth, though. I'm also confused by the idea of having it in the radial menu. Like you say, it seems an odd compromise. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding how it works.

Let me get this straight. Every time you want to swing your weapon you have to press 'A'? That's definitely not something I want.

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Elvis1 wrote...

i am new how do u play this or whatever

Posted Image

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

HopHazzard wrote...

SirOccam wrote...

Let me get this straight. Every time you want to swing your weapon you have to press 'A'? That's definitely not something I want.

No, just every time you want to do a standard attack (as in, not a talent/ability). You're definitely pressing all kinds of buttons, not just A.

HopHazzard

HopHazzard
  • Members
  • 1,478 posts
I'm not sure how I feel about that. There are times in DA:O when all I use are standard attacks. I don't want to be mashing 'A' like I'm playing Kingdom Hearts.

axa89

axa89
  • Members
  • 122 posts
If you select the attack command on the wheel your character will begin to auto-attack, at least, that's what I get from that quote.

edit: meaning, it's not a switch and it's valid for the current target only.

Edited by axa89, 18 September 2010 - 10:20 PM.

HopHazzard

HopHazzard
  • Members
  • 1,478 posts

axa89 wrote...

If you select the attack command on the wheel your character will begin to auto-attack, at least, that's what I get from that quote.

Which means I have to open up the radial menu, stopping the flow of the game, to issue a command that I could issue with the touch of a button in DA:O. Either that or assign it to one of the other buttons which takes up a slot that could otherwise be used to activate an ability. Most of what I've heard about DA2 has pleased me a great deal, but this I do not want.

axa89

axa89
  • Members
  • 122 posts

HopHazzard wrote...
Which means I have to open up the radial menu, stopping the flow of the game, to issue a command that I could issue with the touch of a button in DA:O. Either that or assign it to one of the other buttons which takes up a slot that could otherwise be used to activate an ability. Most of what I've heard about DA2 has pleased me a great deal, but this I do not want.

I agree, it's not ideal... a toggle would work well (in this case), despite the contempt devs have for toggles.

jhawke

jhawke
  • Members
  • 259 posts
to tell the truth, in Origins, I had a tendency to keep hitting A to auto-attack, just out of pure habit.

So, I actually don't mind if in DA2 you hit A each time to do a standard attack.

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts
I think of it this way...you're using your abilities as much as you can, but if they are all in their cooldown phase, or you want to save one or more of them for a certain enemy, you hit A instead of X, Y, or B. Your rate of button-pressing doesn't go up. You aren't auto-attacking while you're using an ability anyway, so the result is the same.

JasonPogo

JasonPogo
  • Members
  • 2,786 posts
I don't get this. Are we ment to spam our abilitais in every fight we come to? As a sword and sheild warrior I found myself only useing my abilites when I was fighing a strong enemy or something.

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

JasonPogo wrote...

I don't get this. Are we ment to spam our abilitais in every fight we come to? As a sword and sheild warrior I found myself only useing my abilites when I was fighing a strong enemy or something.

I don't suppose you have to, but I don't see any reason not to.

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts
Any dev feel like chiming in? :D

Talogrungi

Talogrungi
  • Members
  • 1,679 posts
Hmm. Toggle?

Off for people who like button mashing, on for those who don't?

Mike Laidlaw

Mike Laidlaw
  • BioWare Employees
  • 764 posts
Verdict!

Consoles:
  • Press A to perform basic attack.
  • Open radial menu and press A to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.
  • Non-controlled characters will behave based on tactics.
PC:
  • Right click to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.

Lord Gremlin

Lord Gremlin
  • Members
  • 2,927 posts
Verdict for consoles makes me sad. Is there any advantage in pressing button instead of auto-attack, or it's just mindless tapping to exhaust your finger muscles?

Also, what is A on PS3?

Bobad

Bobad
  • Members
  • 2,944 posts

Mike Laidlaw wrote...

Verdict!

Consoles:

• Open radial menu and press A to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.
PC:

[*]So as a console gamer, I'd like to ask why they went for this option for consoles instead of the old auto attack in Origins?

Dave of Canada

Dave of Canada
  • Members
  • 17,364 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Mike Laidlaw wrote...

Verdict!

Consoles:

I am one happy camper.

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Mike Laidlaw wrote...

Verdict!

Consoles:

PC:

Thank you very much! Ah, clearly-stated, unambiguous, citable information...it sustains me...

Lord Gremlin wrote...

Verdict for consoles makes me sad. Is there any advantage in pressing button instead of auto-attack, or it's just mindless tapping to exhaust your finger muscles?

Also, what is A on PS3?

It's not like it sounds. Most of the time you'll be using your abilities anyway, so it's only when they're all unavailable or you're saving one or more that you'll even need to press A. The rate of button-pressing doesn't increase...you just push A instead of pushing X, Y, or B. I'm probably not explaining myself very well, but it feels very natural and "right" for consoles.

That phrase they have about pushing a button and something awesome happening...it's true. It doesn't feel like a chore. You think "I want to cut that guy" so you press A and you cut that guy.

I only played the XBox 360 demo, but I assume it's whatever the bottom button is for PS3. X?

Garrett Bannister

Garrett Bannister
  • Members
  • 6,054 posts

Lord Gremlin wrote...

Also, what is A on PS3?

it's X

edit: never mind, ninja'ed

Edited by nightcobra8928, 20 September 2010 - 08:17 PM.

Deturis90

Deturis90
  • Members
  • 612 posts
PS3 ver:

Press X to perform basic attack.

Open radial menu and press X to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.

Non-controlled characters will behave based on tactics.

:)

rexil

rexil
  • Members
  • 304 posts
Good to know it still the same on PC. Thanks Mike.