Bioware, FemShep Fans Need to Bring This to Your Attention

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
561 replies to this topic

Guest_rynluna_*

Guest_rynluna_*
  • Guests
**************MODERATOR NOTE***********************

Alright guys, to be sure, this is NOT a femshep fan thread where we can all talk about how we think femshep is better or even to talk about the VA.

This
is about the bugs with the character models. If it continues to be
posts about VA, and femshep preference, it will have to be locked,
despite my overwhelming preference for femshep (femshep is canon as far as I'm concerned :P )
---------------------------
To find DEV quotes in a thread, when you're browsing the Thread Titles,
click on the BIOWARE blue logo under the thread and that shows you the
OP of the thread, and every single BioWare staff comment.  -->

Posted Image

The Dev Comments for this thread can be found here

**********************************************END MODERATOR NOTE***********************

Before I begin, I feel that we should set some rules for this thread.

There will be no bashing of characters, Bioware and it's employees, or between posters of this thread.  I feel that the best way to get our message across is to state our concerns in a polite manner.  If you came in here to tell us we are complaining, you will be ignored.  We are trying to see if something can be done about this, not argue with trolls.

There have been increased discussions over the way FemShep is presented in Lair of the Shadowbroker.  At first, we noticed clipping issues with some scenes in which FemShep interracts with a romanced Liara.  When FemShep iniates the kiss interrupt, you can briefly see her hand go through Liara's arm. 
Posted Image

Also, when in Shepard's cabin Liara brings up the joke about  Joker asking if she and Shepard would be acting out scenes from Vaenia.  After she says that, FemShep replies with, "of course he did." but her mouth keeps moving after that without any dialogue.  Also, during the cabin scene when Shep and Liara are cuddling her face actually smiles more with MaleShep than she does with FemShep.  See videos of the cabin scene here:

MaleShep Cuddle Scene

FemShep Cuddle Scene

**************************************************************************************************

These instances could have been ignored if it were not for the fact that in MaleShep's version right before you hug her in the base, that Liara openly sobs in front of him.  FemShep version did not get this very emotional scene from Liara.  See the video comparison here.  It's only about a minute and a half long:

You can actually hear Ali Hillis cry in that scene, whereas in FemShep's scene, you do not hear anything from her.  This is very disappointing to many of us who romanced Liara with a FemShep.
We almost feel as if we paid for a bugged DLC.  The question is, was this bugged or is there a reason behind the difference?

EDIT V1:
In this
vid a MaleShep that didn't romance Liara also gets the sobbing scene.  So it is clear that Liara will sob in front of MaleShep regardless if she is romanced by him or not.

EDIT V2:
Bioware has given us a response on why Liara smiles more in the cabin scene because of differing animations between MaleShep and FemShep but it still doesn't explain why Liara sobs for MaleShep and not FemShep.  Liara is the one who speaks, not FemShep...so there should not be any animation problems there.

**************************************************************************************

Now clipping is not something new to us when it comes to the Female version ofCommanderShepard but this DLC has raised concerns that FemShep gets the short end of the stick.  Paying customers who prefer to play the lead Female Character deserve an emotional continuation of the romance, not something unfinished, bugged, and/or lazily worked on.

This also raises concerns about FemShep's future with Liara in Mass Effect 3 and even has us worried on how she will fare in the rumored Virmire Survivor DLC.  We would appreciate hearing from a developer or developers on a possible fix for this issue and can only hope that this won't happen again in the future.  Thank you.

Edited by rynluna, 30 September 2010 - 12:35 PM.

kraidy1117

kraidy1117
  • Members
  • 14,910 posts
There is also the issue with the supposed hair pulling. Watching Maleshep and femshep, liara's hand is lcsoer to her hair and pulls down, this gives the look Liara is pulling Shepards hair, but it's very very sloppy.

Start at 3:08

Also I agree. We paid 10 bucks and we get a sloppy experience while Maleshep players got the better treatment, this is very poor. Very disappointing.

jlb524

jlb524
  • Members
  • 18,654 posts
I'm very displeased.

only1sgop

only1sgop
  • Members
  • 252 posts
I don't think could have been said any better. Thanks for showing this in this manner :D

Guest_Cartims_*

Guest_Cartims_*
  • Guests
I am displeased also......

Systemlord Baal

Systemlord Baal
  • Members
  • 2,798 posts
Nice thread. I PMed Chris about this matter yesterday and I hope he or rather one of the devs can give us an answer as to why there is a difference in that particular scene. Since it's Liara's animation and Liara's VO, I can't think of any plausible reason for it myself so far.

ADLegend21

ADLegend21
  • Members
  • 10,686 posts
I am not happy about this.

Guest_GamerFSS86_*

Guest_GamerFSS86_*
  • Guests
I am a big fan oh FemShep and I just don't understand why BW would let this slide...

I would like to know is...

was this a screw up? no ones perfect

or was this intentionally?

Guest_rynluna_*

Guest_rynluna_*
  • Guests

jlb524 wrote...

I'm very displeased.

As am I.  I don't even think I can play the DLC now after viewing the crying part with Liara.  I'll always play it and realize there is supposed to be more emotion there with my FemShep. :unsure:

Jagged Orchid

Jagged Orchid
  • Members
  • 438 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Thanks for taking the time to create this thread. I know it may be seen by some as a minor detail, but at the same time, it really does make a world of difference.

Melancholic

Melancholic
  • Members
  • 789 posts
I don't care much about the minor clipping, but I can't think of any reason for them not to include the sobbing. It's probably just an oversight. Should be easy enough to patch. At least Jennifer Hale pronounces the "Okay." as Bioware intended it. That comparison video reminded me why I play FemShep.

Guest_Cartims_*

Guest_Cartims_*
  • Guests
I can't understand why we are not permitted to play as OURSELVES.....I don't want the world to be gay....I want to be gay and enjoy MY life, not play as somebody else. BW there is room in this world for all people....we are here....don't close the door on us because our numbers are a lot more than you can ever imagine!

Guest_Caythark_*

Guest_Caythark_*
  • Guests
I´m really upset and angry about, that BW treats femshep as a second- class person!!!

tmk

tmk
  • Members
  • 591 posts
This kind of stuff is seriously upsetting. It makes femShep look like an afterthought addition to the game rather than a lead character. It's even more ironic considering that, according to the polls I've seen, around half the players actually prefer playing femShep (more than half, according to some polls).

Please fix this, and don't do this again.

kraidy1117

kraidy1117
  • Members
  • 14,910 posts

Valagil wrote...

Thanks for taking the time to create this thread. I know it may be seen by some as a minor detail, but at the same time, it really does make a world of difference.

I think my major gripe is I paid ten bucks for thia DLC and we get the short end of the stick. It looks like pure laziness or Bioware just didn't put the effort into Femshep.

jlb524

jlb524
  • Members
  • 18,654 posts

rynluna wrote...

As am I.  I don't even think I can play the DLC now after viewing the crying part with Liara.  I'll always play it and realize there is supposed to be more emotion there with my FemShep. :unsure:

Yeah, that's how I feel...LotSB is going on the shelf.

Guest_mashavasilec_*

Guest_mashavasilec_*
  • Guests

kraidy1117 wrote...

Valagil wrote...

I think my major gripe is I paid ten bucks for thia DLC and we get the short end of the stick. It looks like pure laziness or Bioware just didn't put the effort into Femshep.

or it's going to be explained as intentional. as in 'intentional non-togglable helmets'

Naltair

Naltair
  • Members
  • 3,442 posts
It must be a slow week, because of all the things to be really upset about this would not be one of them.

I see your distress but you are making a mountain of a molehill.

kraidy1117

kraidy1117
  • Members
  • 14,910 posts

mashavasilec wrote...

kraidy1117 wrote...

Valagil wrote...

or it's going to be explained as intentional. as in 'intentional non-togglable helmets'

That will just make the matter even worse. Did we like timetravel to the past when Females where treated bad? That's how it looks like Femshep in terms of how Bioware handels her.

jlb524

jlb524
  • Members
  • 18,654 posts

mashavasilec wrote...

I think intentional would be worse, IMO.

Guest_mashavasilec_*

Guest_mashavasilec_*
  • Guests

jlb524 wrote...

mashavasilec wrote...

it would indeed. but it also would be the easiest way out

/pessimism

kraidy1117

kraidy1117
  • Members
  • 14,910 posts

Naltair wrote...

It must be a slow week, because of all the things to be really upset about this would not be one of them.

I see your distress but you are making a mountain of a molehill.

I disagree. We paid money. I paid money for an experince, not a half-assed put together experince when Maleshep got better treatment. It's always been like this,  LotSB however hit home when you don't even hear Liara cry if you play a Femshep.<_<

Systemlord Baal

Systemlord Baal
  • Members
  • 2,798 posts

jlb524 wrote...

mashavasilec wrote...

I see your point, but if they could provide a good enough reason for it - from a writing point of view, I mean.

Guest_Cartims_*

Guest_Cartims_*
  • Guests
If there is a mountain to be made, so be it.....it's time that we stop being treated like second class citizens...it's minor to you, it's major when you have to be discriminated against just for being yourself....it has to STOP....enough is enough.....

Guest_GamerFSS86_*

Guest_GamerFSS86_*
  • Guests

mashavasilec wrote...

kraidy1117 wrote...

Valagil wrote...

and thats what I am thinkin what happened... how can something this big be an oversight or screw up? how?