Photo

So how did Maric die?

150 replies to this topic

SnakeStrike8

SnakeStrike8
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts
The title says it all. How did Maric actually die? There's no mention of that event in The Calling nor is there any in the actual game. I know it doesn't really matter, but I'd still like to know how that bugger's luck ran out eventually.

JamesX

JamesX
  • Members
  • 1,876 posts
I thought the book "Stolen Throne" covers his death?

I don't have any of the novels so I have no idea if it does or not. I just remember people talking about it.

Teknylanis

Teknylanis
  • Members
  • 10 posts
There were some here that assumed he hadn't died. But replaying Ostagar cleared me of that doubt with what Loghain said. Sounds like a plot line for Dragon Age 2: The Search for More Money.

SnakeStrike8

SnakeStrike8
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts

JamesX wrote...

I thought the book "Stolen Throne" covers his death?
I don't have any of the novels so I have no idea if it does or not. I just remember people talking about it.

I did not, and that irks me. How did this fellow die?!!!

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,703 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Corrupted nug. He went into the deep roads and met his fate at the hands of a broodnugger.

Xover

Xover
  • Members
  • 42 posts
He went to an Elven orgy and got snufffed out by the Spectre of Katriel

LumpOfCole

LumpOfCole
  • Members
  • 379 posts
His life was an elven orgy.

LdyShayna

LdyShayna
  • Members
  • 618 posts
Maric didn't die in any of the books. I vaguely remember someone saying he died "by a blade" about five years before the events in the game, but I don't recall which NPC said it or in what context. Other than that, I;m REALLY curious about this too.

arjay2813

arjay2813
  • Members
  • 98 posts

LumpOfCole wrote...

His life was an elven orgy.

lol, truth

LdyShayna wrote...

Maric didn't die in any of the books. I vaguely remember someone saying he died "by a blade" about five years before the events in the game, but I don't recall which NPC said it or in what context. Other than that, I;m REALLY curious about this too.

i didnt see that, but i'll be sure to keep a better eye out on my current playthrough. do you have any idea about where you met the NPC by any chance?

RavenholmeCP42

RavenholmeCP42
  • Members
  • 373 posts

LdyShayna wrote...

Ghost in the Alienage just prior to Landsmeet

The specific quote is:

"One, Two, Maric's run through
Three, Four, Kingdom's at war"

Looks like Loghain's got more than just Cailan's blood on his hands.

action jim

action jim
  • Members
  • 62 posts
I felt the loghain of the books vs. loghain of the game were radically different already, if the game also suggests he killed Maric, thats way out of character from the novels.

RavenholmeCP42

RavenholmeCP42
  • Members
  • 373 posts

action jim wrote...

I felt the loghain of the books vs. loghain of the game were radically different already, if the game also suggests he killed Maric, thats way out of character from the novels.

Actually, not entirely, I think the seed that would enable Loghain to murder Maric was always there. Certainly Flemeth knew so, from her visions, and she attempted to warn Maric.

I think once Cailan came of a ruling age, but still impressionable enough that Loghain thought he could be molded to HIS vision of Ferelden, he did away with Maric, especially since at the end of The Calling, Maric was talking about making peaceful overtures to Orlais, which would have incensed Loghain. Just unfortunate for Loghain that Cailan was very impressed with the Grey Wardens, no doubt from Maric's story of his excursion to the Deep Roads.

The man is a pathological xenophobe to the point of being psychotic about it.

And let us not forget the fact that he with held part of the truth so that Maric slew Katriel (An Orlesian Elf, which no doubt made Loghain's skin crawl), and then pawned off the woman he loved back to Maric so that the Queen would be Ferelden.

I don't think that there is "two" Loghains, and David Gaider certainly didn't plan that.

Edited by RavenholmeCP42, 13 November 2009 - 06:23 PM.

SnakeStrike8

SnakeStrike8
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts

RavenholmeCP42 wrote...

action jim wrote...

Actually, not entirely, I think the seed that would enable Loghain to murder Maric was always there. Certainly Flemeth knew so, from her visions, and she attempted to warn Maric.

I think once Cailan came of a ruling age, but still impressionable enough that Loghain thought he could be molded to HIS vision of Ferelden, he did away with Maric, especially since at the end of The Calling, Maric was talking about making peaceful overtures to Orlais, which would have incensed Loghain. Just unfortunate for Loghain that Cailan was very impressed with the Grey Wardens, no doubt from Maric's story of his excursion to the Deep Roads.

The man is a pathological xenophobe to the point of being psychotic about it.

And let us not forget the fact that he with held part of the truth so that Maric slew Katriel (An Orlesian Elf, which no doubt made Loghain's skin crawl), and then pawned off the woman he loved back to Maric so that the Queen would be Ferelden.

I don't think that there is "two" Loghains, and David Gaider certainly didn't plan that.

In all truth, Katriel had it coming. She was a spy of the worst kind: a seductor. Now of course, Maric was just as much to blame for falling for her when so much more was riding on him, but still. If Maric hadn't slotted Katriel, Loghain would have done it himself because that was what Ferelden needed.
But regardless, I'm not as interested in Loghain's character as I am in how Maric died. Mr. Gaider!!! Tell us!!!!

The Angry One

The Angry One
  • Members
  • 22,246 posts
He slipped on a banana peel and broke his stupid neck.

For all I care anyway.

SnakeStrike8

SnakeStrike8
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts

The Angry One wrote...

He slipped on a banana peel and broke his stupid neck.
For all I care anyway.

Or Mabari droppings.

Forumtroll

Forumtroll
  • Members
  • 323 posts
Licking one too many lamp posts.

Edited by Forumtroll, 17 November 2009 - 01:38 AM.

Isaantia

Isaantia
  • Members
  • 874 posts

Forumtroll wrote...

Licking one too many lamp posts.

Alienage lampposts.

I didn't hear about him dying to a blade, but I did hear that he dies 5 years before the story begins.

Zilod

Zilod
  • Members
  • 692 posts
the game did not gave me the impression that Logain killed him...

is more likelly that he met some strange dwarven guy who asked him

enchantment?

and thinking he was just a door to door vendor he started to trashtalk enchantments and magic in general...

Walina

Walina
  • Members
  • 594 posts
I am sorry to ask but we don't have those novels in France.

Can you tell me if the boks talk about Alistair mother please ?

I am also curious also about Duncan since we don't spend a lot of time with him. He seemed close to the Couseland family in the game and also close to Irving, the great enchanter.

HavardTheAegis

HavardTheAegis
  • Members
  • 68 posts
I actually saw the two Loghains as one. I saw them as the same character. At the end of my story where I killed him at the Landsmeet, I felt like I was truly starting to know him and saw that he was the same character and a bit tragic.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,703 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Maric met his fate, and now he'll ho no more

Do you know that kings should run

when Loghian's at the door?

Oronduil

Oronduil
  • Members
  • 248 posts

I am sorry to ask but we don't have those novels in France.
Can you tell me if the boks talk about Alistair mother please ?

Without giving too much away...yes. Or at least that's what it seems but the codex in game kind of contradicts the book. Posted Image

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,703 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
No. The books talk about another royal bastard Maric got on a Grey Warden elf mage after Rowan dies. Alistiar was born to a maid when Rowan was alive.

Maric has licked many lamposts in winter.

Eshaye

Eshaye
  • Members
  • 2,228 posts

SnakeStrike8 wrote...

In all truth, Katriel had it coming. She was a spy of the worst kind: a seductor. Now of course, Maric was just as much to blame for falling for her when so much more was riding on him, but still. If Maric hadn't slotted Katriel, Loghain would have done it himself because that was what Ferelden needed.
But regardless, I'm not as interested in Loghain's character as I am in how Maric died. Mr. Gaider!!! Tell us!!!!

Whoa tiger! It's made quite clear that even though Katriel did intend to seduce and manipulate or blind Maric she fell for him as much as he did her. It was probably even less expected on her part considering this is what she does for a living.. Also consider what kind of lives the elves are forced into, I imagine Katriel would have been quite different had she not been born as one. We don't know her past in Orlais very much but we do know of the second elven girl in Maric's life Fiona, and if Katriel's story is any similar who could blame her for being what she was? Fiona was a slave as a child and a brutally abused one at that..

I have been wondering how Maric died as well, the signing in the orphanage was very intriguing. Loghain was always rather ruthless from the beginning, I think I'd fault Maric for not having a better backbone, him killing Katriel harmed him quite a lot as he was gripped with guilt for a long time. Perhaps he was more subject to Loghain's manipulating that way especially after Rowan died as well. The more I think about it the more I think it likely Loghain did kill him..

Expansion!! Posted Image

The Angry One

The Angry One
  • Members
  • 22,246 posts
They should make it so Maric had another bastard, who turns out to be the female PC.

Why? So they can one-up George Lucas, of course! Luke and Leia only kissed, after all!!

Yeah I'm demented.