Photo

Has friendly fire been removed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
364 replies to this topic

deuce985

deuce985
  • Members
  • 3,303 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I noticed in the new PC gameplay FF wasn't there. Is it removed? I really hope not...that is a pretty huge tactical part of the gameplay.

Edited by deuce985, 17 December 2010 - 04:17 PM.

Leonia

Leonia
  • Members
  • 9,495 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
More than likely the gameplay video was not showing us a PC playing on nightmare mode.

Altima Darkspells

Altima Darkspells
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
Well, DAO didn't have friendly fire on the Easy level, too.

And I don't think the consoles even had friendly fire until either hard or nightmare modes, too.

On the other hand, Hawke almost died (twice) in the gameplay, so I dunno.

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,437 posts

deuce985 wrote...
I noticed in the new PC gameplay FF wasn't there. Is it removed? I really hope not...that is a pretty huge tactical part of the gameplay.

It's based on difficulty.

Liablecocksman

Liablecocksman
  • Members
  • 353 posts

David Gaider wrote...

deuce985 wrote...

Are these the same as DA:O, then?
Consoles activating on hard, while computer activates on normal?

Bobad

Bobad
  • Members
  • 2,945 posts

David Gaider wrote...

deuce985 wrote...

Cool, but will companion and friendly NPC's resist the suicidal tendancy to run into AOE spells & attacks? 

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,437 posts

Liable****sman wrote...
Are these the same as DA:O, then?
Consoles activating on hard, while computer activates on normal?

I'm not sure. All I know is that FF exists.

Wulfram

Wulfram
  • Members
  • 15,876 posts
What we've been told before is that it's only on Nightmare

Garrett Bannister

Garrett Bannister
  • Members
  • 6,112 posts

Wulfram wrote...

What we've been told before is that it's only on Nightmare

and that it's subject to change, if i remember correctly

Akka le Vil

Akka le Vil
  • Members
  • 1,190 posts
Why can't it simply be a toggle ?

ErichHartmann

ErichHartmann
  • Members
  • 4,440 posts

Akka le Vil wrote...

/signed

Ensgnblack

Ensgnblack
  • Members
  • 293 posts
IIRC it was said that FF is only turned off in Nightmare. Once again, thats only what I remember, so I could be incorrect

Ziggeh

Ziggeh
  • Members
  • 4,360 posts

Akka le Vil wrote...

Difficulty balancing. Doubles your work load

Vylan Antagonist

Vylan Antagonist
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Again, one possible complication is that AoE stuff seems like it's much more common. That's now what Warriors 'do'. They are melee controllers. Their basic attacks are AoE. It's one thing to juggle your AoE mage spells. It's another thing entirely to worry about being tagged by your warrior's basic attacks just because you are in hir vicinity. If turning off Friendly Fire also effects warrior basic attacks, then it's no wonder that they've reconciled it to Nightmare level of difficulty, because it would indeed be a nightmare to manage that.

Reaverwind

Reaverwind
  • Members
  • 1,564 posts

ErichHartmann wrote...

Akka le Vil wrote...

/signed

/signed too

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,437 posts

Akka le Vil wrote...

Because it has a profound effect on the difficulty. Hence it being attached to the difficulty.

Or that, anyhow, is what I assume. Attaching things to toggles is great, but if someone flips that on and doesn't know that it will suddenly make their "Easy" game not quite so Easy anymore... well, that wouldn't be good.

ErichHartmann

ErichHartmann
  • Members
  • 4,440 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Akka le Vil wrote...

Because it has a profound effect on the difficulty. Hence it being attached to the difficulty.

Or that, anyhow, is what I assume. Attaching things to toggles is great, but if someone flips that on and doesn't know that it will suddenly make their "Easy" game not quite so Easy anymore... well, that wouldn't be good.

It would be the players fault for flipping on the toggle, lol. 

Ryzaki

Ryzaki
  • Members
  • 28,194 posts
I tend to give people enough credit to realize that if FF is by default off and they switch it on then realize battles got a lot harder they'd have enough sense to realize that it was because they turned FF on.

Not to mention if damage output shows up the same as in DAO they'll realize they're the ones doing the damage.

Edited by Ryzaki, 17 December 2010 - 06:15 PM.

Ziggeh

Ziggeh
  • Members
  • 4,360 posts
They've made a bunch of changes that let them more tightly control the game difficulty, they can't provide the option and then not balance it, that would defeat one of their aims.

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,437 posts

ErichHartmann wrote...
It would be the players fault for flipping on the toggle, lol. 

Yeah, I don't think "YOU ARE SUCH A NOOB LOL" is really a response that's going to work.

Toggles need to work for everyone, and we need to balance accordingly. An option that's more for advanced users is the kind of thing you'd stick in as an .ini file setting, I'd suspect. Feel free to ask for something different, but I think there's more affected by such a change than you'd think.

Edited by David Gaider, 17 December 2010 - 06:23 PM.

PsychoBlonde

PsychoBlonde
  • Members
  • 4,437 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2
I'm happy with a lack of friendly fire in Normal, personally. I found that it just gimped the usefulness of a lot of the damage spells, making the CC mage in Origins even more overpowered by comparison.

Gill Kaiser

Gill Kaiser
  • Members
  • 5,232 posts
Last I heard (a few months ago) was that FF was limited to Nightmare, which is a decision I wasn't particularly enamoured with.

I'd like to see full friendly fire on Hard, minimum. Wanting Friendly Fire doesn't necessarily mean you simply want a higher difficulty. Friendly Fire shouldn't be lumped in with difficulty only; to do so is a gross oversimplification.

Ziggeh

Ziggeh
  • Members
  • 4,360 posts

Gill Kaiser wrote...
Friendly Fire shouldn't be lumped in with difficulty only; to do so is a gross oversimplification.

That assumes the decision was made outside of the difficulty balancing process.

Wulfram

Wulfram
  • Members
  • 15,876 posts
It will be annoying if my incompetence will basically force me to not have friendly fire.

I also have to suspect that if FF is only on nightmare it won't be properly balanced and the AI won't handle it at all well.

Edited by Wulfram, 17 December 2010 - 06:49 PM.

Loc'n'lol

Loc'n'lol
  • Members
  • 3,594 posts

David Gaider wrote...
Yeah, I don't think "YOU ARE SUCH A NOOB LOL" is really a response that's going to work.

What ? It works every time !
In fact the game should give you that line whenever your party wipes.