Photo

Steam and the Signature Edition deal...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

PSUHammer

PSUHammer
  • Members
  • 3,278 posts
 Is this deal going to be extended to Steam (order before January 11th and you are automatically upgraded, etc.)???

If it is not, I would like to go preorder it somewhere else.  Is there some official announcement about Steam availability?

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
No the Signature Edition offer will not be available through Steam. The only digital source for the Signature Edition is the EA Store and already listed retailers. Physcial copies are available at all retailers.

Edit: Misspoke.

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 22 December 2010 - 02:56 PM.

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,807 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

No the Signature Edition offer will not be available through Steam. The only digital source for the Signature Edition is the EA Store. Physcial copies are available at all retailers.

:(:(:crying:

Edited by Brockololly, 22 December 2010 - 02:53 PM.

Jonp382

Jonp382
  • Members
  • 1,375 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

No the Signature Edition offer will not be available through Steam. The only digital source for the Signature Edition is the EA Store. Physcial copies are available at all retailers.

Thanks for the word. Does that mean the Signature Edition is no longer available at the other digital services? Direct2Drive, Impulse, Gamersgate, etc.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts

Jonp382 wrote...
Thanks for the word. Does that mean the Signature Edition is no longer available at the other digital services? Direct2Drive, Impulse, Gamersgate, etc.

Whoops, thanks for catching that. No, I meant that only the digital stores currently carrying the Sig Edition (like D2D and the EA store for example). I edited the above answer.

Edited by Chris Priestly, 22 December 2010 - 03:00 PM.

DVACDK

DVACDK
  • Members
  • 308 posts
So what about the normal edition?

Reight

Reight
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Good news.

This means I'll have more money to spend for a different game. Thanks!

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,685 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Chris Priestly wrote...

No the Signature Edition offer will not be available through Steam. The only digital source for the Signature Edition is the EA Store and already listed retailers. Physcial copies are available at all retailers.

Edit: Misspoke.

That's unfortunate but thank you for answering this. I had been holding off on preordering on the chance I might get it through Steam.

ErichHartmann

ErichHartmann
  • Members
  • 4,440 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Reight wrote...

Good news.

And I bet you'll still post here. 

ejoslin

ejoslin
  • Members
  • 11,719 posts
This is too bad. I very much prefer ordering through steam. Ah well, so Amazon it is.

Reight

Reight
  • Members
  • 3 posts

ErichHartmann wrote...

Reight wrote...

Good news.

Nah, I'll probably just lurk around as I always did.
Oh, wait ... I DID post again. Dammit...

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,685 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

ErichHartmann wrote...

Reight wrote...

Good news.

Naturally.

Reight wrote...

Oh, wait ... I DID post again. Dammit...

This forum is like the scarlak pit.

What if Steam offered the regular edition of the same?

Edited by Maria Caliban, 22 December 2010 - 03:49 PM.

DVACDK

DVACDK
  • Members
  • 308 posts
If Steam offered the regular edition, i would still be pissed. EA pretty much gave all steam users the finger imo.

Reight

Reight
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Maria Caliban wrote...

It's not about the game itself, but losing 20$ worth of "stuff" even though i would have pre-ordered the game on Steam kinda pisses me off.
I mean ... to me Steam is not a store, but a platform the same as 360 and PS3. I bet console players would also be upset if something similiar happened to them.

Or is this way of thinking too absurd?

PSUHammer

PSUHammer
  • Members
  • 3,278 posts
I would imagine it would be available at some point but this sucks! Lol...i am trying to get out of the box & disk game purchases. Guess I have to go Amazon.

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,807 posts

Reight wrote...

No, unless you can download the game DRM free like GoG, then I like to keep all of my digital downloads to one service like Steam. It just makes it easier.

DVACDK

DVACDK
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Reight wrote...

Maria Caliban wrote...

It's not about the game itself, but losing 20$ worth of "stuff" even though i would have pre-ordered the game on Steam kinda pisses me off.
I mean ... to me Steam is not a store, but a platform the same as 360 and PS3. I bet console players would also be upset if something similiar happened to them.

Imo no, its not absurd, i pretty much buy all my games on Steam, cant remember when i last bought a Retail Box other then World of Warcraft.

Vincentdante

Vincentdante
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Reight wrote...

Good news.

Just be happy with the standard edition or are you honestly going to buy this for the freebies/extras > game? It's not like your getting screwed over this offer is LIMITED to certain companies to a certain date. There will be many places that won't do this offer.

Anyways I own DA:O on disk and was planning to get this on disk regardless so I
am not affected. For steam users i'm sure the signature edition will be
available at the extended price if you want it so don't panic yet :)

DanaScu

DanaScu
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Vincentdante wrote...

Reight wrote...

Good news.

Just be happy with the standard edition or are you honestly going to buy this for the freebies/extras > game? It's not like your getting screwed over this offer is LIMITED to certain companies to a certain date. There will be many places that won't do this offer.

Anyways I own DA:O on disk and was planning to get this on disk regardless so I
am not affected. For steam users i'm sure the signature edition will be
available at the extended price if you want it so don't panic yet :)

Um...no, it won't.

Chris Priestly wrote...

No the Signature Edition offer will not be available through Steam. The only digital source for the Signature Edition is the EA Store and already listed retailers.

That is about a clear a statement of "No" as I've ever seen on the forums. And it does suck for anyone who wanted the game on Steam. If I was getting it, it would have been through Steam, just as I did for ME/ME2, DA:O and DA:Awakening. No access on Steam means 99.9% certainty that I won't be getting it at release, if ever. After seeing how "well" the EAloader/EAstore/EAsupport worked for ME et. al., I won't ever consider even thinking about the possibility of using it. I don't use D2D because of the patching/won't work with version x issues.

ralph2190

ralph2190
  • Members
  • 537 posts
Well, this was unexpected but thank you Chris for clarifying this. Obviously EA is having some serious jealousy issues.

DanaScu wrote...

That is about a clear a statement of "No" as I've ever seen on the forums. And it does suck for anyone who wanted the game on Steam. If I was getting it, it would have been through Steam, just as I did for ME/ME2, DA:O and DA:Awakening. No access on Steam means 99.9% certainty that I won't be getting it at release, if ever. After seeing how "well" the EAloader/EAstore/EAsupport worked for ME et. al., I won't ever consider even thinking about the possibility of using it. I don't use D2D because of the patching/won't work with version x issues.

How about getting it at retail? It won't be tied to any service and BioWare will post patches that we can install. It sucks that it won't be coming on Steam but the boxed copy would be the next best thing. I already have mine pre-ordered at Best Buy.

Zjarcal

Zjarcal
  • Members
  • 10,455 posts
Thanks for the clarification, even if it's terrible news to say the least.
The worst part for me is that the EA Store, D2D, and Impulse have me region locked, hence I can't purchase from them. I do have Gametap.com as an alternative but I don't know how reliable it is.
This sucks badly. The worst part is that according to what Priestly said, it's the Signature Edition promo which won't be available, which means that the actual game could be released eventually on Steam...

:mellow::(:crying:

darrylzero

darrylzero
  • Members
  • 181 posts
Can anyone clarify why they think this is happening? I've seen people post that EA doesn't like Steam, but why would that be? Does Steam somehow profit from the product in a way that either EA or Bioware thinks is unfair?

I recognize I'm not likely to get any kind of official response, but it just makes me curious. It's not a huge deal to me either way, though I would have bought on Steam otherwise.

DVACDK

DVACDK
  • Members
  • 308 posts
I heard that publishers have to pay to have their games on steam, might be something with that, no clue really.

Imo, i think its just EA that hope to get people to use their "so called" game download manager.

Guitarjoe91

Guitarjoe91
  • Members
  • 32 posts
You guys really did it this time... This is the most annoying decision you (or your EA puppet masters) made about this game.

EA and and Steam need to kiss and make up.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I wouldn't have been angry if you gave us official word a bit earlier.

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,807 posts

darrylzero wrote...

Can anyone clarify why they think this is happening? I've seen people post that EA doesn't like Steam, but why would that be? Does Steam somehow profit from the product in a way that either EA or Bioware thinks is unfair?

I have no clue, but it is very odd since Steam is the biggest digital distribution source. Steam/Valve profit in some way like any other retailer would, but it would seem something is going on with EA and Steam since they only put Hot Pursuit on Steam several weeks after it launched and you have EA games like Dead Space 2 coming out at the end of January which aren't available for preorder.

And yet EA announced today their retail partnership with Valve to distribute Portal 2 at retail. And its not like the SE isn't available at other digital disribution places either. It doesn't seem to make much sense really. Unless Valve is taking some huge chunk out of the preorder or something, it seems incredibly odd that EA wouldn't put DA2 SE up for preorder on the biggest digital distribution platform.

Obviously EA wants to push their own Digital download service as they'd make pure profit that way, but it makes no sense to not push DA2 on Steam, when other services besides EA's has it too.

Edited by Brockololly, 22 December 2010 - 05:53 PM.