Photo

Is ps3 really using me3 engine?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

bcooper56

bcooper56
  • Members
  • 607 posts
Or is it just marketing ploy. I seen comparisons and its not even better looking.

If it really is i expect me3 to look no different then me2 in graphics wise.

Guest_Randy_Mac_*

Guest_Randy_Mac_*
  • Guests
http://www.gamespot....tml?sid=6285483

'Tis true.

bcooper56

bcooper56
  • Members
  • 607 posts

Randy_Mac wrote...

http://www.gamespot....tml?sid=6285483

'Tis true.

I hope instead of improving graphics they add back rpg elements that were taken away.

chaosapiant

chaosapiant
  • Members
  • 577 posts
Sigh...there is NO ME3 engine. It's all based on Unreal technology, from the first one up. They have refined it quite a bit, but it is still the same engine as the first game, as well as Bioshock 1 & 2, Alpha Protocol, and i'm sure several others.

Atmosfear3

Atmosfear3
  • Members
  • 1,654 posts
ME3 engine doesnt mean anything when its still the Unreal Engine 3 especially when its the same one ME1 and 2 used.

Edited by Atmosfear3, 24 December 2010 - 04:01 AM.

adam_grif

adam_grif
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts
"The ME3 engine" is a modified Unreal 3 engine, just an iterated version of the one they already used for ME2. In some ways it looks better and in some ways it looks worse on PS3, but until you see ME3 running on 360/PC, you won't really be able to tell how much of that was just the PS3 and how much of it was the updated engine.

SSV Enterprise

SSV Enterprise
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts

chaosapiant wrote...

Sigh...there is NO ME3 engine. It's all based on Unreal technology, from the first one up. They have refined it quite a bit, but it is still the same engine as the first game, as well as Bioshock 1 & 2, Alpha Protocol, and i'm sure several others.

Actually, BioShock 1 & 2 run on Unreal Engine 2.5.  Mass Effect 1 & 2 run on Unreal Engine 3. [/nitpick]

But seriously, even though the core Unreal engine remains the same, BioWare has heavily customized everything around it, and there were major performance, lighting, and shading improvements between ME1 and ME2.  It's not unreasonable to think that ME3 will have similar improvements over ME2, and call it the "ME3 engine" to differentiate it from how ME2's engine was set up.

Guest_Randy_Mac_*

Guest_Randy_Mac_*
  • Guests

SSV Enterprise wrote...

chaosapiant wrote...

Actually, BioShock 1 & 2 run on Unreal Engine 2.5.  Mass Effect 1 & 2 run on Unreal Engine 3. [/nitpick]

But seriously, even though the core Unreal engine remains the same, BioWare has heavily customized everything around it, and there were major performance, lighting, and shading improvements between ME1 and ME2.  It's not unreasonable to think that ME3 will have similar improvements over ME2, and call it the "ME3 engine" to differentiate it from how ME2's engine was set up.

This.

chaosapiant

chaosapiant
  • Members
  • 577 posts

SSV Enterprise wrote...

chaosapiant wrote...

I agree with everything you said.  :)

SSV Enterprise

SSV Enterprise
  • Members
  • 1,515 posts
Also, I forgot to mention that Epic (the creator of the Unreal engine) makes a lot of tweaks and improvements to UE3 periodically, with one set of improvements announced only recently. Newer Unreal Engine-based games undoubtedly take advantage of these improvements.

SOG TOUGH

SOG TOUGH
  • Members
  • 678 posts
It is, but the PS3 doesn't handle it very well if the demo is anything to go by.

marshalleck

marshalleck
  • Members
  • 15,644 posts

SSV Enterprise wrote...
 It's not unreasonable to think that ME3 will have similar improvements over ME2, and call it the "ME3 engine" to differentiate it from how ME2's engine was set up.

Actually, it is. They've said that much of the development time between ME1 and ME2 was spent on overhauling the engine and making all those improvements; development of ME2 began around summer of 2007, so quite a long time ago. Now that all that heavy lifting has been done, the major development focus of ME3 is not going to be technical, but rather content and gameplay mechanics. 

Kronner

Kronner
  • Members
  • 6,249 posts
There's no ME3 engine. They use modified Unreal Engine. PS3 should have looked better than xbox, but it actually looks like crap based on screens that I have seen. ME2 PC graphics are a lot better than PS3 version, that's for sure.

Edited by Kronner, 24 December 2010 - 04:17 PM.

marshalleck

marshalleck
  • Members
  • 15,644 posts

Kronner wrote...

There's no ME3 engine. They use modified Unreal Engine.

Keep parroting this useless distinction as if it means something. Of course there is a ME3 engine--it's the most recent set of modifications and extensions Bioware has developed for UE3 to date. When people call it the "ME3 engine" it's the same as saying "the most recent set of modifications and extensions Bioware has developed for UE3 to date" except less verbose and less condescending. 

PoliteAssasin

PoliteAssasin
  • Members
  • 4,362 posts
Just because it's using the ME3 engine doesn't mean it's going to have a significant difference comparable to the differences in the ME1 and ME2 build. ME2's engine was pretty good with some minor imperfections as opposed to ME1's engine build. Stop overreacting.

-Polite

JRCHOharry

JRCHOharry
  • Members
  • 7,657 posts
It is using the ME3 engine but that doesn't mean it won't be improved by the time ME3 ships...

88mphSlayer

88mphSlayer
  • Members
  • 2,124 posts
what we do know is that whatever improvements were made for the "ME3 engine" it isn't really being shown off in ME2, don't really get why they even bothered with an improved engine in the port unless they wanted to redesign the game (which nobody in their right mind would do)

Edited by 88mphSlayer, 24 December 2010 - 04:25 PM.

Kronner

Kronner
  • Members
  • 6,249 posts

marshalleck wrote...

Kronner wrote...

There's no ME3 engine. They use modified Unreal Engine.

Keep parroting this useless distinction as if it means something. Of course there is a ME3 engine--it's the most recent set of modifications and extensions Bioware has developed for UE3 to date. When people call it the "ME3 engine" it's the same as saying "the most recent set of modifications and extensions Bioware has developed for UE3 to date" except less verbose and less condescending. 

Yeah, because I have the time to read all posts. Also, I don't see how saying there's no ME3 engine is condescending, it's simply a fact. Is there anything else you wanted to add?

marshalleck

marshalleck
  • Members
  • 15,644 posts
Nope, if I wanted to add more I would have. Thanks for checking, though.

WidowMaker9394

WidowMaker9394
  • Members
  • 679 posts
I hope not. ME2 on 360 looks better which is ****ed up.

supakillaii

supakillaii
  • Members
  • 398 posts
Actually ME2 runs on [a modified version of] Unreal Engine 3.5 [with Mass Effect 3 version further modifying it].

Edited by supakillaii, 24 December 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Guest_JoePinasi1989_*

Guest_JoePinasi1989_*
  • Guests

marshalleck wrote...

They've said that much of the development time between ME1 and ME2 was spent on overhauling the engine and making all those improvements; development of ME2 began around summer of 2007, so quite a long time ago. Now that all that heavy lifting has been done, the major development focus of ME3 is not going to be technical, but rather content and gameplay mechanics. 

And how cool is that?!

Honestly, I can't wait to see the new version. GameTrailers.com is probably gonna make a comparison. They usually make/have all sorts of vids.

Frraksurred

Frraksurred
  • Members
  • 362 posts
If this video is to be believed, there have been some lighting improvements:

There are some videos of Jacob as well. Regardless, I am glad for any graphical updates, but do hope they focus on content more for the finale.

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix
  • Members
  • 15,072 posts
My friend who played the demo says the most noticeable difference is in the lighting department, but everything else is pretty much as is. Either way, I'm sure ME3 will look better -- if only slightly.

Edited by FieryPhoenix7, 27 December 2010 - 04:42 AM.

Guest_JoePinasi1989_*

Guest_JoePinasi1989_*
  • Guests
Damn damn damn, the freakin shadows!!!

They also changed the tint a bit?

Edited by JoePinasi1989, 27 December 2010 - 04:48 AM.