Photo

Do the Qunari approve of same sex relations amongst eachother?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
159 replies to this topic

Ninja Mage

Ninja Mage
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts
 I know how stoic and culture driven the Qunari can be, so how does their race react to a Qun that has feelings for one of the same sex? It would be interesting to see that dynamic play out somewhere in game, kind of a Qunari two spirit thing. Would a female be driven out, would a male have to fight his loved one? What would happen?

Edited by Ninja Mage, 04 January 2011 - 05:04 AM.

Collider

Collider
  • Members
  • 17,165 posts
I foresee Sten being posted here in the near future.

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I don't imagine the qunari as a people value individuality and freedom so I'd guess no.

What purpose would the relationship serve their society? 

M/F would reproduce offspring, and I'm somewhat certain that's the only aspect of it they'd care about.  Especially given children are raised communally.  Or so I believe?

Edited by Upsettingshorts, 04 January 2011 - 05:05 AM.

YoziMaiden

YoziMaiden
  • Members
  • 243 posts
I hate to say it, but I doubt it. I foresee that horny bastards only coupling to procreate. Though, I suspect that they may have extremely deep friendships.

Felfenix

Felfenix
  • Members
  • 1,023 posts
Considering the Qunari disapprove of sex for anything except reproduction, I doubt they'd approve of some same sex romantic attachment. They're incredibly utilitarian and not very free.

marshalleck

marshalleck
  • Members
  • 15,644 posts
"Couplings" are arranged for reproductive purposes and specifically to develop desired traits in the offspring, so I can't imagine any reason a same-sex pairing would ever officially approved. That said, followers of the Qun are granted a surprising amount of freedom assuming all of their duties and obligations are being met, so what happens on their own time may be of little or no concern to anyone.

Edited by marshalleck, 04 January 2011 - 05:07 AM.

Gavinthelocust

Gavinthelocust
  • Members
  • 2,894 posts
Probably don't see it as practical, to them any sort of relation is unpleasant in the first place so doing it for recreational purposes without the chance of adding another to the population wouldn't be logical. They only fill the roles they're put into with very little pleasure or emotion, kinda sad really. Seems like a medieval totalitarian government really, but now I'm getting off topic.

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts

marshalleck wrote...

That said, followers of the Qun are granted a surprising amount of freedom assuming all of their duties and obligations are being met, so what happens on their own time may be of little or no concern to anyone.

That makes sense.  How much "free time" does a Qunari get, though?

Edited by Upsettingshorts, 04 January 2011 - 05:10 AM.

Guest_Ms. Lovey Dovey_*

Guest_Ms. Lovey Dovey_*
  • Guests
Well they don't raise their own children so it's possible......

Collider

Collider
  • Members
  • 17,165 posts

Upsettingshorts wrote...

I don't imagine the qunari as a people value individuality and freedom so I'd guess no.

M/F would reproduce offspring, and I'm somewhat certain that's the only aspect of it they'd care about.  Especially given children are raised communally.  Or so I believe?

Given that how restricitve qunari society is, it might be interesting if they had a tolerant view of homosexuality despite it.

Eclipse_9990

Eclipse_9990
  • Members
  • 3,116 posts
I'd say thats a big no. I think Yozi might be right in that they only really have sex to make kids, and that they think having sex with the same gender would be a waste of time and..."resources".

Guest_Ms. Lovey Dovey_*

Guest_Ms. Lovey Dovey_*
  • Guests

Collider wrote...

Upsettingshorts wrote...

Given that how restricitve qunari society is, it might be interesting if they had a tolerant view of homosexuality despite it.

We don't know if they have any thing in their religion that goes against it in the first place.  I agree with Marshall.

TJPags

TJPags
  • Members
  • 5,694 posts
Yea, I don't see this as probable.

What I gathered from Sten was that the Qunari are very much a "everyone in their place and a place for everyone" kind of people.  As in, everything is for the good and betterment of the Qunari as a whole.  Merchants are merchants, warriors are warriors, children have teachers, not parents, etc.

I can't see them valuing individual happiness over the good of the people.  Same sex relationships don't result in offspring, so in that respect, they don't add value to the Qunari as a whole.  They may tolerate it to a degree, but I don't think "approve" is the right word.  In fact, I would think they would very much disapprove, and view it as actually harming the people.

ShadyKat

ShadyKat
  • Members
  • 1,630 posts
No.

Enshaid

Enshaid
  • Members
  • 807 posts

ShadyKat wrote...

No.

...Well played shady cat-person.

Ninja Mage

Ninja Mage
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts
But some of the Qunari must hate tradition, and have desires for..something else, no?

Saberchic

Saberchic
  • Members
  • 2,816 posts
I think those Qunari become Tal'Vasoth.

Ploppy

Ploppy
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Ninja Mage wrote...

But some of the Qunari must hate tradition, and have desires for..something else, no?

Qunari don't have desires. That said, it's theoretically possible that relations between two Qunari will result in one of them becoming pregnant. Not all species have the same gender specifications. It's even possible that Qunari males have "parts" that humans would consider female.

YoziMaiden

YoziMaiden
  • Members
  • 243 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Ninja Mage wrote...

Indeed,  but you asked how do the Qunari view same sex relationships,  not individual Qunari.  There is a difference between the individual and the whole.  

Oddly enough,  I suspect a Qunari would say the same thing.

Ploppy wrote...

Ninja Mage wrote...

But some
of the Qunari must hate tradition, and have desires for..something
else, no?

Qunari don't have desires. That said, it's
theoretically possible that relations between two Qunari will result in
one of them becoming pregnant. Not all species have the same gender
specifications. It's even possible that Qunari males have "parts" that
humans would consider female.

You fetishize everything...

Edited by YoziMaiden, 04 January 2011 - 05:22 AM.

MarginalBeast

MarginalBeast
  • Members
  • 664 posts
IIRC, the Qunari don't form romantic relationships at all, heterosexual or not. They only use sex to procreate, and their sexual partner is chosen for them by someone else, and after the deed is done they generally never see each other again. So I can't imagine homosexual relationships of any kind being tolerated in their society.

Whether or not they actually have the capability of being romantically attracted to someone else in the first place, I have no idea.

Ploppy

Ploppy
  • Members
  • 384 posts

YoziMaiden wrote...

I don't mean anything "sexy" or fethish-like. It simply could be possible that Sten has a uterus, and could carry a child to term from a male human lover. We don't know what "male" means to Qunari, biologically speaking.

Edited by Ploppy, 04 January 2011 - 05:25 AM.

dan4354

dan4354
  • Members
  • 22 posts
I would think if qunari have same sex relationships they would send them to be re educated just like they do with other people who have sex.

dan4354

dan4354
  • Members
  • 22 posts
qunari have male and female look up concept art.

TJPags

TJPags
  • Members
  • 5,694 posts

Ploppy wrote...

YoziMaiden wrote...

I don't mean anything "sexy" or fethish-like. It simply could be possible that Sten has a uterus, and could carry a child to term from a male human lover. We don't know what "male" means to Qunari, biologically speaking.

Um, no.  There are Qunari women.  Sten is not one of them.

Ninja Mage

Ninja Mage
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts
What if a Qunari had been denied the pleasures of life, because he got lost from the Qun, and Hawke was the only one around, bathing in a hotspring..the qunari would have to make a choice!