Photo

Corrupted Save

386 replies to this topic

Typh0nx

Typh0nx
  • Members
  • 5 posts
So i was just upgrading some weapons after playing the game for 8 hours.
The game froze so i waited a minute or 2.
Then i restarted the game.

When i came back in it only gave me the option to play a new game.

So i went and checked my save.
YUP corrupted.
Fun.
No more Mass effect 2 for me.

Thanks bioware.

brunoqc

brunoqc
  • Members
  • 8 posts
I just got that too. Played about 20 hours, console froze and no more save game.

I did a new game to get the load game menu, and nothing, even if I try to switch career.

I rented the game and I was thinking about buying it. I guess I'll wait and get it cheaper later, maybe on a steam sale.

I guess now I have time to play the first one before.

mikebarry

mikebarry
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Same thing just happened to me, froze on a loading screen went to play again and save is corrupt, probably not getting DA2 now based on this

kane442

kane442
  • Members
  • 302 posts
same thing happend to me ...was at a loading screen froze had to reset ps3 and well you see where this is going

Gaea

Gaea
  • Members
  • 8 posts
You guys are able to load a previous save (prior to the game freezing) and continue correct?

I can't imagine this effecting all saves, if you continue with an older save do you continue to run into the freeze / corruption issue?

Edited by Gaea, 20 January 2011 - 08:40 PM.

Capeo

Capeo
  • Members
  • 1,540 posts
Wait, please don't tell me you guys were only playing with one save? I hear that all the time and it blows my mind. RPGs, guys, 10 save minimum.

On the other hand, if all your saves got corrupted then that is just nuts. I ended my session last night with a freeze. Hopefully I'll have no issues when I go home to play tonight.

brunoqc

brunoqc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Gaea wrote...

You guys are able to load a previous save (prior to the game freezing) and continue correct?

I can't imagine this effecting all saves, if you continue with an older save do you continue to run into the freeze / corruption issue?

No :crying:

I had more than one save game (about 5). I hope I didn't overwrite anything by trying to get to the load screen using "new game".

Frangible

Frangible
  • Members
  • 16 posts
I've had several hard lockups while playing on a PS3 slim. Not overheating, just a hard freeze. Typically while zoning, but also during play. Not experienced with any other games (save Fallout 3/Fallout NV).

After Samara's loyalty quest, in which Morinth died, the mission summary screen with the Illusive Man came up, but after that, it locked up with a black screen before it got to the loading screen.

When I reset my PS3 and reloaded, it seems the "system" save was corrupted, as all of my configuration settings were lost. I was able to reload a save game and continue past that point.

Unfortunately, the system save file is copy protected, so if it was the case that it became corrupted, I cannot make an easy USB memory stick backup. Obviously, while fixing the lockup bugs is the primary concern, I ask you to consider removing the "copy protected" flag and instead locking it to a PSN ID.

Gaea

Gaea
  • Members
  • 8 posts
[edit] double post

Edited by Gaea, 20 January 2011 - 11:25 PM.

Gaea

Gaea
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Wow that is nuts, seems like the OP had the same problem .. only able to load a new game.

Curious if periodically sending the saves to another profile/fob would be a good idea in the meantime.

brunoqc

brunoqc
  • Members
  • 8 posts
I didn't know we can actually see "Corrupted Data" in the xmb. http://imgur.com/NtLJ7

Edited by brunoqc, 20 January 2011 - 11:56 PM.

Karim_A

Karim_A
  • Members
  • 142 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Capeo wrote...

Wait, please don't tell me you guys were only playing with one save? I hear that all the time and it blows my mind. RPGs, guys, 10 save minimum.

On the other hand, if all your saves got corrupted then that is just nuts. I ended my session last night with a freeze. Hopefully I'll have no issues when I go home to play tonight.

True that! Actually I have 39 FFXIII saves and normally have around 20 for every RPG I have. A bit paranoid with saving as well so though this glitch sucks and needs to be looked at, I'll be prepared. Though if it affects all of the simultaneously we have a problem...:mellow:

brunoqc

brunoqc
  • Members
  • 8 posts
I asked a question on the consumer support thing and I got a reply but it seems like a canned reply for people who deleted their save game.

The guy said that I should have made a backup prior to the "deleting".

Is that even possible? One of the two save game I have is write protected (the one about game progress/settings).

Sweet Seoul Brother

Sweet Seoul Brother
  • Members
  • 43 posts
No one should have to make 10 saves "just in case". There should be no "just in case" in the first place if this whole thing was better programmed.

Almost 70$ spent and here I am just waiting to walk into a death trap that will corrupt my saves... Sorry but I don't think I will play for a while.

Edited by Sweet Seoul Brother, 21 January 2011 - 07:58 AM.

Bogsnot1

Bogsnot1
  • Members
  • 7,997 posts
You mean like noone should have a second copy of their car keys, just in case they lose the first set?

Data corruptions happen for a number of reasons outside of the program. Power fluctuations, hardware glitches, hdd failures, heating issues, even nudging it slightly with your foot by accident can affect it.

Relying on one, single solitary save is asking for trouble. If you do so, you have noone to blame but yourself. Data intergrity is the sole responsibility of the owner of that data. Noone else

Sweet Seoul Brother

Sweet Seoul Brother
  • Members
  • 43 posts
Cars and Data... they're a totally different circumstance. Physical tangible object vs. Data. Not everyone is a computer expert and know about data corruption, face it. The casual person would think to just keep one save and not think any of it. I have played Mass Effect 2 on my laptop with only one saved file, dropping it many times only for it to come back in tact and the file still there. Why can't you factor in error in programming as this seems to be? Do you see how many people are having the same problems? Are you saying that after paying 70$ for a game we don't have the right to put trust in it that it won't fail on us?

People's Mass Effect files are the only ones that get corrupted.  There would be a worse problem if people started to say that their "whole" hard drive's save data outside from mass effect, but alas only mass effect is affected.
Some posters here also note that even their multiple files became corrupted.  So having multiple saves won't remedy anything unless you make backup of your saves in separate USB sticks, but who would go to that extreme to keep files without questioning the integrity and the quality of the product which is in this case is the game itself?

If an Excite bike NES game cartridge can keep ONE save file of the player created tracks since the 80's why can't a multi million dollar game with seemingly unlimited resources in 2011 do the same?

Edited by Sweet Seoul Brother, 21 January 2011 - 08:29 AM.

prodog

prodog
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Corrupted save has happened to me twice so far. I deleted the first and started a new game...and that one corrupted as well. The files were corrupted during a frozen load screen (both times). PS3 had to be turned off/on again. I checked the ps3 saves folder and the character profile save was labeled as "corrupted". Unfortunately I had racked up a considerable amount of play time on both profiles before they died.

To those people saying multiple saves is a solution, sadly that will not work. It corrupted the character file including all of my separate saves. The copy-protected profile save on the other hand was fine.

If you have another device to store your character profile on, I recommend doing that immediately.

Other than that, I don't think I have the resolve to start another game. Hopefully it gets patched soon. I haven't had a game-breaking problem like this on consoles before, and I'm sad it had to be from a bioware game.

Sweet Seoul Brother

Sweet Seoul Brother
  • Members
  • 43 posts

prodog wrote...

If you have another device to store your character profile on, I recommend doing that immediately.

Other than that, I don't think I have the resolve to start another game. Hopefully it gets patched soon. I haven't had a game-breaking problem like this on consoles before, and I'm sad it had to be from a bioware game.

It should never come to that where we have to take a desperate initiative to backup "game" saves for fear of data loss.  I as with many people here will wait until the game is patched before moving forward.  I too can't believe this is Bioware, I would expect this from another developer but not Bioware.

Bogsnot1

Bogsnot1
  • Members
  • 7,997 posts
No, you dont have the right not to expect it not to fail. If you doubt thta, check out the various court cases that have proven otherwise. People have tried to sue computer manufacturers, hard drive manufacturers, and even repair shops because they have lost data somehow. Every single ruling has turned out the same. The end user is the one solely ersponsible for the intergrity of their data.

If people arent willing to learn a little bit about the technology upon which they rely, then they are asking for trouble.

There have been cases where NES cartidges have failed and saved data has become corrupted. Just because you have ben lucky with NES, and dropping your laptop, doesnt mean that everyone is.

prodog

prodog
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Bogsnot1 wrote...

No, you dont have the right not to expect it not to fail. If you doubt thta, check out the various court cases that have proven otherwise. People have tried to sue computer manufacturers, hard drive manufacturers, and even repair shops because they have lost data somehow. Every single ruling has turned out the same. The end user is the one solely ersponsible for the intergrity of their data.
If people arent willing to learn a little bit about the technology upon which they rely, then they are asking for trouble.
There have been cases where NES cartidges have failed and saved data has become corrupted. Just because you have ben lucky with NES, and dropping your laptop, doesnt mean that everyone is.

My rights as a guy trying to enjoy a videogame? I think they should be self explanatory. You buy a game and expect it to save files that can be loaded and played. Yes, occasionally you lose data and it is annoying. No, it should not happen twice within two days.

Sweet Seoul Brother

Sweet Seoul Brother
  • Members
  • 43 posts
Based on the variables you say, don't you think that their whole data should have been wiped? Mass Effect and all games? I understand that certain physical or non physical can destroy data, but the point of this problem is with Mass Effect. What you are discussing is general and broad information that could lead to data corruption, which is great and you are correct more people should know about their properties. But none of the posters here have ever said anything about:

*Power going off and data gets broken
*PS3 fell on the ground and data gets corrupt
*PS3 Yellow Lighting whilst playing (overheating issues) leading to corrupt data

All of which are physical events that could affect ALL data, so this could only mean that the problem itself lies with the game. Being vigilant about your data is fine and dandy but it's a little useless when the game itself is breaking it's own save files. As much as I would like to factor human error rather than put all the responsibility bioware's end product (which you seem to be), I find it rather hard to believe that so much problems would come forth like this and it's the players' fault for not backing  up save files in USB drives.

Edited by Sweet Seoul Brother, 21 January 2011 - 08:48 AM.

Bogsnot1

Bogsnot1
  • Members
  • 7,997 posts
I didnt say anything about power failing, i said fluctuating. Get yourself a decent multimeter and check the voltage coming out of your power socket.

110 volts is an average of what comes out of your socket. It can fluctuate between 95-130. Same with 240, thats betwen about 220-260 volts, with 240 beign the average. Then you also have the frequancy issue, 50 or 60hz, again, being an average.

Depending on the demand on your local grid, your power could momentarily fall or raise outside of the min/max, and given how sensitive electronic devices are to power fluctuations, a millisecond is all it would take in many cases.

Nor did I mention dropping it, I distinctly said nudging.

I never said the game was bug free, and would never cause this issue, what I was saying, is that people should not be relying solely on a single save, as there was a horde of reasons outside of Biowares control that could corrupt it. If you cant accept the fact that data corruptions can happen outside of programming, then feel free to rely on a single source of data, and experience the pain upon its loss.

Sweet Seoul Brother

Sweet Seoul Brother
  • Members
  • 43 posts
Better than relying on another source of data for mass effect how about I did myself a favor and stopped playing the game and stressing out making backups on USB, no losses there.

Vernam

Vernam
  • Members
  • 7 posts
This just happened to my wife, her character had about 10+ hours into the game and the PS3 froze at a loading screen during the Shadow Broker mission. She had 3 different saves on her character and they were all deleted after rebooting the PS3. When she started playing she didn't like the way her character looked so she started a new character, the save games from that first character were not harmed so it seems to corrupt only the profile of the character you are currently playing as someone else mentioned before. Either way she's taking it a lot better than I would have... she already started her character over... I would not play the game until this it patched.

So how do you make backups on USB?

peerenboom77

peerenboom77
  • Members
  • 3 posts
This happened to me -- I was 24 hours into the game. Then, during The Shadow Broker mission, the game became full of glitches. Suddenly, it froze. Waited for a while, hoping it would unfreeze. No luck. When I turned the PS3 back on, everything was lost. I want to jump back into it, but I'll put it off.