Photo

Dragon Age 2 DRM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
976 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
Hi everyone

Recently there has been some concern over the DRM (Digital Rights Management) included with Dragon Age 2. Hopefully this post will help clarify what the DRM is for all versions of Dragon Age 2.

Steam versions use Steam DRM, no other DRM is added.

Non-Steam versions (digital or retail disc) are as follows:
- No disc check, you do not need the disc in drive to play.
- No limit on the total number of PCs you can install and play the game on.
- There is a limit to the number of unique/different PCs that can start/play the game within a time window [5 PCs in 24hrs].
- Each install requires logging in to your EA account to verify game ownership and if you are a member of these forums, you have an EA account.
- You can play offline but the game will require a login check after a select period of days.

Release Control (does not use securom)
      . It does not install anything to the PC.
      . Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not. 
      . It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed. 
      . You will not be able to play until that date has passed.
      . Dates & times are set to the retail street date per country.

Hopefully this explains the DRM included in Dragon Age 2.

If you still have questions, please ask them here. However, this thread is NOT for the general discussion of DRM, the pros and cons of other DRM systems or any talk about circumventing DRM (which is against the rules of conduct and will be diciplined as such). Thanks. :)

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 31 January 2011 - 08:34 PM.

MuseMajora

MuseMajora
  • Members
  • 130 posts
 - You can play offline but the game will require a login check after a select period of days.

THIS is all I really wanted to know. Thank you. :)

Atakuma

Atakuma
  • Members
  • 5,609 posts
No disk check? That's great.

Shepard Lives

Shepard Lives
  • Members
  • 3,883 posts
Good, good.

I suppose this screws over the unlucky few who don't have an Internet connection on their gaming rig, but you can't please everyone.

XX55XX

XX55XX
  • Members
  • 2,966 posts
I really don't care much about the DRM - it appears reasonable, but I have a strong feeling that many people are going to be disappointed.

XX55XX

XX55XX
  • Members
  • 2,966 posts

Shepard Lives wrote...

Good, good.
I suppose this screws over the unlucky few who don't have an Internet connection on their gaming rig, but you can't please everyone.

I'll play devil's advocate here.

There are lots of people out in the world still relying on unreliable dial-up connections. A disk check should suffice for these people.

Count Viceroy

Count Viceroy
  • Members
  • 4,095 posts
Sounds good to me, and if it is indeed date locked, that would mean we'll have to wait 3 extra days to play it here in europe as per usual. Meh.

Count Viceroy

Count Viceroy
  • Members
  • 4,095 posts

XX55XX wrote...

Shepard Lives wrote...

Good, good.

I'll play devil's advocate here.

There are lots of people out in the world still relying on unreliable dial-up connections. A disk check should suffice for these people.

Yet, said dial up would still be enough to go through the validation every few days. Ie not a problem

Danilo86

Danilo86
  • Members
  • 60 posts
About time.

No disk check is really good.

I dont like too much this part:

But is ok.

Xeyska

Xeyska
  • Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Woot! No disk check. :D

Chaia

Chaia
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Release Control (does not use securom)
      . It does not install anything to the PC.
      . Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not. 
      . It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed. 
      . You will not be able to play until that date has passed.
      . Dates & times are set to the retail street date per country.

So wait, if say the game come through the post a few days before the release date of DA2 in your country, you basically won't be able to play it??

Xeyska

Xeyska
  • Members
  • 1,263 posts

Chaia wrote...
So wait, if say the game come through the post a few days before the release date of DA2 in your country, you basically won't be able to play it??

Yep.

the_one_54321

the_one_54321
  • Members
  • 6,112 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...
- Each install requires logging in to your EA account to verify game ownership and if you are a member of these forums, you have an EA account.

I'm not too happy about these. I'm not going to have any problems with my internet connection pretty much ever, but for some it is going to be a real problem. Also it still leaves the issue of "what happens when EA no longer exists?"

All in all, it's not sounding very bad.

Edited by the_one_54321, 31 January 2011 - 08:55 PM.

FellowerOfOdin

FellowerOfOdin
  • Members
  • 1,326 posts
Sounds awesome to me Chris. It's the ideal balance of a modern copy protection.

If you do not have an internet connection nowadays, at least every few days, you should not be playing video games.

Period.

...and seriously guys. EA is the biggest or second-biggest publisher, saying that it will no longer exist is true...in a far, far away future. I don't think that my copy of DA II will be compatible with my virtual reality device then ;)

Edited by FellowerOfOdin, 31 January 2011 - 08:48 PM.

Kloreep

Kloreep
  • Members
  • 2,315 posts
Thanks for posting the DRM breakdown. :)

ZenoX

ZenoX
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Not too unresonable... but it might get annoying if you're without internet for a longer time period. How long can you play offline before this security check kicks in?

"...a select period of days." isn't much of an answer at the moment.

HyperLimited

HyperLimited
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

...And how many days would that be?

Alodar

Alodar
  • Members
  • 660 posts
No disc check is awesome.
Not that a disc check is odious, it just means it will last longer all protected in it's original box.

Thanks Chris!

Alodar Posted Image

Edited by Alodar, 31 January 2011 - 08:57 PM.

the_one_54321

the_one_54321
  • Members
  • 6,112 posts

FellowerOfOdin wrote...
If you do not have an internet connection nowadays, at least every few days, you should not be playing video games.

Period.

The only reason you aren't getting mobbed by angry responses is because the people that would want to point out how ridiculous that statment is don't have a constant internet connection to be posting on the forums with.

Horace the Well Meaning Hybrid

Horace the Well Meaning Hybrid
  • Members
  • 33 posts
So no apocalyptic DRM? Damn...guess I'll go moan about something else then.

ReagaN7Ti

ReagaN7Ti
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts
it looks like a mix between formerly used DRM systems by BioWare. I'm glad the online check is made periodically rather than every time the game starts up.

One question about that though: *how* many days can one play without online check?

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 17,379 posts

HyperLimited wrote...

Chris Priestly wrote...

...And how many days would that be?

That is the thing most people will want cleared up I'm sure.

Jorina Leto

Jorina Leto
  • Members
  • 694 posts
Acceptable.

Chaia

Chaia
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Xeyska wrote...

Chaia wrote...

Yep.

Thats kinda...annoying Posted Image, we already have to wait an extra 4 odd days in the UK for the DA2 release date (I know that isn't BioWare's fault), but I was hoping an early post would shorten that....oh well the rest is ok, and the no disc check is pretty cool.

Reaverwind

Reaverwind
  • Members
  • 1,721 posts

the_one_54321 wrote...

Chris Priestly wrote...

I'm not too happy about these. I'm not going to have any problems with my internet connection pretty much ever, but for something is going to be a real problem. Also it still leaves the issue of "what happens when EA no longer exists?"

Surprise - you paid for a rental.