Photo

Bioware: We want Call of Duty's audience

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
317 replies to this topic

shinobi602

shinobi602
  • Members
  • 4,711 posts
The Canadian developer sees similarities between COD's progression and Dragon Age's foundations

Nowgamer wrote...
With Dragon Age II’s release imminent, senior producer Fernando Melo feels the sequel has far more reach than Origins, even potentially attracting the same kind of crowd that flocks to gaming’s biggest franchise, Call Of Duty.

Speaking to NowGamer Melo said: “We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”

There’s certainly logic in his thinking, and with individuals who failed to be enticed by BioWare’s original epic actually being swayed by the sequel –not to mention the upcoming demo giving gamers a chance to sample its goods first – there’s every change Dragon Age II may succeed in this goal.

www.nowgamer.com/news/5141/bioware-we-want-call-of-dutys-audience

Edited by shinobi602, 08 February 2011 - 08:36 PM.

October Sixth

October Sixth
  • Members
  • 660 posts
I sure hope this isn't news to anyone

pumpkinman13

pumpkinman13
  • Members
  • 443 posts
lol so basically anybody that enjoys a "narrative"...

Alanosborn1991

Alanosborn1991
  • Members
  • 1,835 posts
Guys it isnt massively multiplayer unless it has multiplayer or co op which is doesnt

Soloros

Soloros
  • Members
  • 6 posts
I understand what they're trying to say, and a broader audience is never a bad thing per se for games. It just means that more people appreciate the game and more copies get sold so we get more installments in the series, and that's all well and good but. . .

If I ever hear the term "noobtube" associated with a BioWare game, I'm going to Critical Mission Failure.

Eclipse_9990

Eclipse_9990
  • Members
  • 3,116 posts
*yawns tiredly* So... Is this supposed to be a bad thing, or am I missing the point completely because of lack of sleep?

Edited by Eclipse_9990, 08 February 2011 - 08:45 PM.

Shadow of Sparta

Shadow of Sparta
  • Members
  • 162 posts
i doubt it.i hope this doesn't mean they'll start dumbing down successive games to try and snare a part of CoD's audience.i was a dragon age convert.heard it was crap.bought it for 10 quid.couldn't believe how good it was.

Edited by Shadow of Sparta, 08 February 2011 - 08:45 PM.

lv12medic

lv12medic
  • Members
  • 1,796 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I think the point of this is that a lot of people may actually like playing a game like Dragon Age 2 but have no idea it exists.

Fernando may be right. A certain percentage of CoD focused players may like DA2 just for the leveling progression. But at the same time, CoD's leveling system is more of a in your face I'm better than you noob competitive system. Where as, the closest DA:O came to a competitive nature is people doing solo Nightmare runs.

Saphara

Saphara
  • Members
  • 841 posts

seif9 wrote...

Imagine a world where 13 year olds played RPGs instead of games like COD.

Hey hey hey, when i was 13 i played RPGS mostly! Posted Image

AlexXIV

AlexXIV
  • Members
  • 10,670 posts
One RPG element does not make an RPG.

I am sure Bioware games have more to offer than character customisation.

If you go for the most simplified definition, RPG aka role playing game could be any game which features any sort of main character.

Ciupy

Ciupy
  • Members
  • 28 posts
That's..not a really good ideea.

They play Call Of Duty for the action and don't actually give a crap about the story.

As long as they can kill something with a shiny gun,or ambush someone in multiplayer with a sniper rifle by camping or a sneak kill with a knife,they are happy.

They don't want a story,they don't understand or need a story or deep characters or any of that.

They would be the ones that would complain why exactly the game has so much talking and why you would need the usual BioWare companions with you.

I mean,aren't you badass enough to finish the game by yourself?

BioWare,I understand that you are trying to expand your market share by creating new fans,but be careful that by doing that you don't alienate a good chunk of your current fans by removing or adding elements that you think the Call of Duty crowd may hate/enjoy.

You can't please everybody in the end and if you try that's the key to failure.

Edited by Ciupy, 08 February 2011 - 08:51 PM.

WidowMaker9394

WidowMaker9394
  • Members
  • 679 posts
It's possible to like more than one genre, y'all know?

Amyntas

Amyntas
  • Members
  • 584 posts
Bioware should focus on their strengths and not try to copy what others do better. Dragon Age was a hit and sold more than 3.2m copies. There is still a market for complex rpgs. 10m+ sales are an anomaly and they can't seriously expect that.

Edited by Amyntas, 08 February 2011 - 08:52 PM.

AlexXIV

AlexXIV
  • Members
  • 10,670 posts

WidowMaker9394 wrote...

Blasphemy! Burn the Witch(er)!!

blothulfur

blothulfur
  • Members
  • 2,015 posts
Hard lines Bioware you've got us finicky bastards, now on a more important note can you change the colour of Hawkes smoking jacket buttons because if this feature is not implemented I will cancel my preorder build a giant fricking laser on the moon and destroy the earth.

I do not think I am being unreasonable.

DJBare

DJBare
  • Members
  • 6,510 posts

Shadow of Sparta wrote...

i doubt it.i hope this doesn't mean they'll start dumbing down successive games to try and snare a part of CoD's audience.i was a dragon age convert.heard it was crap.bought it for 10 quid.couldn't believe how good it was.

Unfortunately where profit is concerned you can bet your last dollar they will go for the CoD audience, so don't be surprised if your DA:3 character suddenly pulls out a missile launcher!

The Elder King

The Elder King
  • Members
  • 15,616 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3
In truth, Melo cited Fallout (RPG) and Assassin's Creed (which has a good story, and even a little bit of RPG element in Brotherhood), not only COD.

Saphara

Saphara
  • Members
  • 841 posts

WidowMaker9394 wrote...

It is, but trying to mix the 2 will eventually irritate fans of both.

Not to mention, most of us fear the 12 year olds with no brain-to-mouth filter who tend to not like different things, instead of the adults who grew up to know and like differences between genres Posted Image

Not that that holds true for everyone. I know i wasnt like that when i was 12, and i know some stupidly immature adults. Posted Image

Edited by Saphara, 08 February 2011 - 08:54 PM.

lv12medic

lv12medic
  • Members
  • 1,796 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

DJBare wrote...

Shadow of Sparta wrote...

Unfortunately where profit is concerned you can bet your last dollar they will go for the CoD audience, so don't be surprised if your DA:3 character suddenly pulls out a missile launcher!

That is what RPG's are for... :P

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts
there was a post in this thread when it was posted to the MAss Effect board that I liked. one community member talked about how many games that are not RPGs now use character progression/advancement mechanics, and how BioWare wants to attract the players of such games because they might enjoy it.

Gamers are a little too quick to rely on labels rather than gameplay features when talking about game experiences they enjoy. I, for one, love character advancement mechanics, whether they're in RPGs or shooters, even adventure games. if a racing game, part of a genre I don't normally play, were to advertise that I could "level up" my driver or my car, or that the game had skill/ability trees I could explore while I played, I would be tempted to give it a shot and, just possibly, become a fan of racing games in general, or games in that particular milieu or franchise.

Inclusion rather than exclusion.

EDIT: So let's try and keep the insults and condescension out of the discussion, please.

Edited by Stanley Woo, 08 February 2011 - 08:57 PM.

Images

Images
  • Members
  • 586 posts
Steel yourselves fellow forumites and prepare for another genre war!

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts
Removed a bunch of the insulting and condescending posts. such childish behaviour from those who consider action and FPS players "kiddies." Sheesh.

Marionetten

Marionetten
  • Members
  • 1,769 posts
And the PR nightmare continues...

Saphara

Saphara
  • Members
  • 841 posts
appologies Stanley. I know i shouldnt generalize, and i do like SOME FPS like Goldeneye. I just dont think that expanding the audience should come at the expense of what makes RPGS great.

Generalizations often come with a grain of truth, and ive heard (directly) my share that im afraid that the more vocal supporters of CoD type games would water down any future games. DA:O sold great. Im guessing DA2 will as well. I'll just hold on to my faith that the devs know what to do to balance everything.

Edited by Saphara, 08 February 2011 - 09:05 PM.

PrinceOfFallout13

PrinceOfFallout13
  • Members
  • 1,003 posts

Saphara wrote...

appologies Stanley. I know i shouldnt generalize, and i do like SOME FPS like Goldeneye. I just dont think that expanding the audience should come at the expense of what makes RPGS great.

Generalizations often come with a grain of truth, and ive heard (directly) my share that im afraid that the more vocal supporters of CoD type games would water down any future games. DA:O sold great. Im guessing DA2 will as well. I'll just hold on to my faith that the devs know what to do to balance everything.

the cod series especially black op has depth so i dont see the problem