Photo

Dragon Age 2 Final DRM and FAQ

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
945 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
UPDATED:
Below are the details of the final version of DRM that will be used with Dragon Age 2 for PC and Mac. 

We appreciate your patience and feedback on this.  DRM is always a topic of much debate, even internally.  It requires a delicate balance between providing some level of IP protection while minimizing the inconvenience or intrusion to a player’s experience.  These decisions are not made lightly - and a lot of time and effort was dedicated to ensuring that the system for DA2 is skewed to the player side of the experience.  It is as follows:

Dragon Age 2 Physical & Digital PC/Mac DRM are as follows:
  • No disc check, you do not need the disc in drive to play.
  • No limit on the total number of PCs you can install the game on.
  • There is a limit to the number of unique/different PCs that can play the game within a time window (if online) [5 PCs in 24hrs].
  • After each new install there is a 1-time online check needed the next time you play, requiring a log in to your EA account to verify game ownership.  If you are a member of these forums, you already have an EA account – just use the same email/password.
  • You can play offline thereafter - the game will NOT require any subsequent login checks.  If online, a game ownership check happens each time you play.
Steam versions use Steam DRM, no other DRM is added, which means:
  • No disc check, it is used for digital game versions purchased from Steam only.
  • No limit to the total number of PCs you can install the game on.
  • There is a limit to the number of unique/different PCs that can play the game at any one time (if online) [1 PC].
  • Each install requires logging into your Steam account to verify game ownership.
  •  You can play offline thereafter.  If online, a game ownership check happens each time you play.
  • Steam pre-loads use Steam release control – you will not be able to play until the release day/time has passed for that region.
Dragon Age 2 Release Control (non-Steam versions)
  • Does not use securom.
  • It does not install anything to the PC.
  • Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not.
  • It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed.
  • You will not be able to play until that date has passed.
  • Dates & times are set to the retail street date per country.
Common questions:

Does this apply to consoles? 
  • No.  This is applies to PC/Mac only.
What about Mac/Cider, does it use Securom? 
  • Dragon Age: Origins for Mac/Cider used Securom.  Dragon Age 2 for Mac/Cider will NOT use Securom and instead it will use the same non-Steam system listed above.
A PC review mentions Securom, what gives? 
  • All EA preview & review game builds sent to press use Securom which is where the assumption came from.  The Dragon Age 2 actual retail & download version of the game that you will play will not use Securom, it uses one of the systems above.
If you have other questions please feel free to post here – as always, a reminder  that this thread is NOT for the general discussion of DRM, the pros and cons of other DRM systems or any talk about circumventing DRM (which is against the rules of conduct and will be disciplined as such). Thanks. :)

:devil:

NEW - Did we sneak Securom in?  Short answer, still no.  Long answer...
social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/29#6490247

Edited by Chris Priestly, 12 March 2011 - 07:55 AM.

magicwins

magicwins
  • Members
  • 943 posts
"You can play offline thereafter - the game will NOT require any subsequent login checks"

YESSSS!!!!

Saibh

Saibh
  • Members
  • 8,063 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Oh, wow. Much better! Thank you.

Whiteshiro

Whiteshiro
  • Members
  • 655 posts
ty for the info, btw chris you need to register your dragon age games ;)

Osena109

Osena109
  • Members
  • 2,112 posts
 sweet

Psearo

Psearo
  • Members
  • 248 posts
Not needing the disc in the machine to play for retail copies????

I R HAPPY BUNNY!

Ariella

Ariella
  • Members
  • 1,434 posts
Looking at the DRM info for non-steam, does this mean we'll be able to download night before release?

Chaos-fusion

Chaos-fusion
  • Members
  • 1,083 posts
For once I am.. not seeing anything to worry about. Very nice!

I'm sure something will come up later, but for now I'll just be happy. *Goes off to pre-order*

Moondoggie

Moondoggie
  • Members
  • 3,538 posts
Well i'm glad after all the doom mongering on here the worries can be laid to rest. I'm happy that a good medium to keep both sides happy has been found and i think the DRM is perfectly fair and shows you guys really thought about it. Good job on making all our lives easier :D

Eurypterid

Eurypterid
  • English Community Moderators
  • 4,667 posts

If online, a game ownership check happens each time you play.

Chris, what does the above mean? Does this mean if you're on-line you have to be logged into your account in-game in order to play (i.e. you can't log out of your account and play if you're connected to the internet)?

RaenImrahl

RaenImrahl
  • English Community Moderators
  • 5,386 posts
Well done.

Osena109

Osena109
  • Members
  • 2,112 posts
 Wait so dos this mean when i pick my copy up at midnight i can come hom install and play?

Naemi79

Naemi79
  • Members
  • 146 posts
*No disc check, you do not need the disc in drive to play.*

Yes! Ty soo much for this :D

Always use an exe.crack for all my purchased games. Hate having to use the disk all the time (that wears it out you know ^_^ )

magicwins

magicwins
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Chaos-fusion wrote...

For once I am.. not seeing anything to worry about. Very nice!

I'm sure something will come up later, but for now I'll just be happy. *Goes off to pre-order*

It's crazy, isn't it?

Short of no DRM at all, this is quite possibly the best DRM evar.

Erani

Erani
  • Members
  • 1,534 posts
Thank you! That's very good, I'm happy.

JamieCOTC

JamieCOTC
  • Members
  • 6,075 posts
Thank you for posting this info. :)

Daniteh

Daniteh
  • Members
  • 272 posts
I don't understand, you dont install the game to your pc with non steam versions?

Shepard Lives

Shepard Lives
  • Members
  • 3,883 posts
Good, good. I understand the offline disk check was a cause of distress for many people; I'm glad it seems to have been removed. Skewed to the players' side, indeed.

DPB

DPB
  • Members
  • 906 posts
Just wondering, does the disc version have release control? If the retailer I bought the game from sends it a day or two early will I be able to play it then, or will I have to wait until the official date (the 11th here)?

Jonp382

Jonp382
  • Members
  • 1,375 posts
Awesome news. Thanks!

LastFadingSmile

LastFadingSmile
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification/revision. :)

Osena109

Osena109
  • Members
  • 2,112 posts

dbankier wrote...

Just wondering, does the disc version have release control? If the retailer I bought the game from sends it a day or two early will I be able to play it then, or will I have to wait until the official date (the 11th here)?

this is what i am asking am a PC user

Veex

Veex
  • Members
  • 1,007 posts
Someone message Connect, and quickly.

Soul Juggalo

Soul Juggalo
  • Members
  • 5 posts
So no changes about reselling the game in case i don't like it?

As i understand you have to bind it to your email account and that is permanent right?

If so, i do NOT like it.

Grouch666

Grouch666
  • Members
  • 48 posts
if i get the game a day early in the UK will i be able to play or is there still the server time check so you cant play until 12am 11th?