Photo

If player creation doesn't happen until after the intro...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
706 replies to this topic

cephasjames

cephasjames
  • Members
  • 284 posts
...then does that mean we always start the game as default Hawke? Or is that just a demo thing?

Taleroth

Taleroth
  • Members
  • 9,107 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
The first segment is always default Hawke.

nelly21

nelly21
  • Members
  • 1,230 posts
It's the legendary Hawke. William Wallace didn't look at all like Mel Gibson did he?

Rimfrost

Rimfrost
  • Members
  • 731 posts
I kinda like legendary Hawke... shows people's idea about him more then what he really was

Giltspur

Giltspur
  • Members
  • 1,117 posts
Yeah I get the "exaggerated" explanation.  And I can see advantage to spreading out character creation rather than frontloading it.  However, I hope in future games they put designing your face at the very front again.

Jzadek72

Jzadek72
  • Members
  • 1,884 posts

nelly21 wrote...

It's the legendary Hawke. William Wallace didn't look at all like Mel Gibson did he?

Thedas has cinemas now? :blink:

madsabroo

madsabroo
  • Members
  • 259 posts
There are these things and we call them bards.

Fenn_

Fenn_
  • Members
  • 1,168 posts
I see it as Varric's pathetic attempt to throw off the seekers.

Jzadek72

Jzadek72
  • Members
  • 1,884 posts

madsabroo wrote...

Difference is, William Wallace looked like Mel Gibson because they needed an actor to play him. I don't see why Hawke would be remembered in story as a brunette, if, say, she was actually blonde.

WolfShapedBullet

WolfShapedBullet
  • Members
  • 117 posts
I do think that's a rather bad idea to have to play the default as the legend. So you're telling me that the legend going around is that Hawke looks like the default when Hawke could be a -insert decriptor- man/woman with -insert descriptor- hair and -insert descriptor- eyes.

I guess it can and does happen where legends are concerned, but you think they'd (the ones spreading the legend) would at least get one attribute of (custom) Hawke...

Elsariel

Elsariel
  • Members
  • 527 posts

Jzadek72 wrote...

madsabroo wrote...

Difference is, William Wallace looked like Mel Gibson because they needed an actor to play him. I don't see why Hawke would be remembered in story as a brunette, if, say, she was actually blonde.

Or black.

TheSleazebag

TheSleazebag
  • Members
  • 139 posts
In DA3, you unlock character customization halfway through the game. This is because the story is told by a drunken monkey man inspired (read:stolen) by Discworld

Taleroth

Taleroth
  • Members
  • 9,107 posts

TheSleazebag wrote...

In DA3, you unlock character customization halfway through the game. This is because the story is told by a drunken monkey man inspired (read:stolen) by Discworld

Edit: I misunderstood you, my apologies.

More fantasy could use Discworld inspiration.

Edited by Taleroth, 01 March 2011 - 05:06 PM.

MarchWaltz

MarchWaltz
  • Members
  • 3,075 posts
Heh. I have 2 other friends that are getting this.

One (the white one) said "wait, the dwarf tells the epic story of the white hawke, so in your play through (black and brown dude) the dwarf will talk about white hawke being epic, then saying no he wasn't epic at all he was a black/brown guy running away".

Kinda funny.

We're all basing our first hawke's off of ourselves, respectively.

Jzadek72

Jzadek72
  • Members
  • 1,884 posts

TheSleazebag wrote...

Well, since I plan to steal most of my first character's RP style from Vimes, it seems appropriate.

Melra

Melra
  • Members
  • 6,673 posts

TheSleazebag wrote...

Thanks for making all my drinks go up to my nose. :D:o

aintnodancer

aintnodancer
  • Members
  • 5 posts

MarchWaltz wrote...

Heh. I have 2 other friends that are getting this.

One (the white one) said "wait, the dwarf tells the epic story of the white hawke, so in your play through (black and brown dude) the dwarf will talk about white hawke being epic, then saying no he wasn't epic at all he was a black/brown guy running away".

Kinda funny.

We're all basing our first hawke's off of ourselves, respectively.

Sort of like how people always consider certain spiritual figures to look exactly like them.

Defekto21

Defekto21
  • Members
  • 30 posts
yeah he started talking about a "legend" so in that story it was default Hawke then when he starts telling the truth you can customize him in your way

Zerakus

Zerakus
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Jzadek72 wrote...

madsabroo wrote...

Well, there's Napoleon, as an example... he was pretty average of height, but since his days became seen as a very small man.  Stories don't need actors to change things about them. Political  ideologies, public image, and so forth colour impressions among the people.

Also, in ages without photography and the like, it's not difficult to imagine public image taking on it's own life, with few people actually meeting said person in person.

PinkysPain

PinkysPain
  • Members
  • 789 posts
So Varric is prejudicial on skin colour but not a genderist?

Edited by PinkysPain, 01 March 2011 - 05:23 PM.

LeonardoLuiz

LeonardoLuiz
  • Members
  • 82 posts
Well, probably not...

I do not expect a Diablo screen telling us to choose Sex and class.

Will be something like the first Dragon Age

Spitfire80

Spitfire80
  • Members
  • 196 posts
yes, that struck me as a little peculiar. But it will be interesting to see how it pans out. If it doesn't then, i'll cry foul..loudly!!

marshalleck

marshalleck
  • Members
  • 15,645 posts
Hawke's face, Bethany's boobs. Varric likes to embellish.

PinkysPain

PinkysPain
  • Members
  • 789 posts
On reflection I understand why they did it, they wanted to use some prerendered CGI in the intro.

If I had been them I would have done the CGI for both sexes AND all the major ethnicities though ... most of the cost is in the modeling and a few extra facial models and skin colours wouldn't have broke the bank. Would have avoided the stigma of racism.

Edited by PinkysPain, 01 March 2011 - 05:26 PM.

Lycans Bane

Lycans Bane
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Jzadek72 wrote...

madsabroo wrote...

Or caucasian if he's dark