Photo

Disc is unreadable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
I got home and opened my copy of Dragon Age 2.    I placed the disk in my drive and proceeded to download the items from the promo codes.   I then tried to launch the game and I get to the original loading screen at which point it sits there a while and then I get a message the disc is unreadable.   It suggests to restart the console or wipe the disc.    I tried both but neither had an affect.   I inserted a couple of other games and they worked fine.   I look at the disc itself and I don't see any scratches or blemishes on it.   

I uninstalled the promo items and rebooted my xbox but still got the same results

Is my only option to contact the retailer I bought it from or is this a known issue?

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
I removed my xbox Hard Drive and rebooted the xbox. I then could get into the game and started a new game. I then shut down my xbox and reattached the HDD. When I tried loading the game again it worked this time. Very strange

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
Definitely was very frustrating and I hope if someone else encounters it hopefully the same works for you because to be honest I don't understand why it worked that way

NickFurious

NickFurious
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I am having the exact same issue... only I have tried everything on the xbox support site and the only trick that seems to have any effect so far: putting in any other game. It will start loading the screen with the two statues, or sometimes go just beyond to the menu screen, before the error message pops up. Please help, I loved DA:O and can't wait to play DA2.

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
Had this happen again today when trying to load the game. Had to sign out of xbox live to get the game to launch. At which point at the title screen it asked me to sign in and it seemed fine. Got it just a few minutes later when loading a new area. Launched the game again and this time it worked loading the same area. Seems like an issue with how the game is set to load

Will Kuhn

Will Kuhn
  • BioWare Employees
  • 100 posts
What kind of xbox's are you using? (New/Old/Slim)

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
It's one of the black xbox that came with the 120gb hard drive which I think makes that new

Edit:  XBox 360 Elite

Edited by SonvarTheMighty, 10 March 2011 - 03:46 AM.

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
Also using signature edition disc if that makes any difference

LEETseesh

LEETseesh
  • Members
  • 11 posts
Same thing happened to me. I came home yesterday with the Signature Edition and put it into my console. It sat at a white screen that had the Xbox 360 logo and did not progress past that. It did that twice and was also recognizing the disc as a dvd. I had to restart the console and open and close the tray again to get it to work. I have an Elite 120gb.

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
Yeah I see the error primarily at loading screens. Tonight while going from one area to another I've seen the message about 5 times causing me to reload

Edited by SonvarTheMighty, 10 March 2011 - 03:46 AM.

VesperValle

VesperValle
  • Members
  • 88 posts
I'm having the same problem with the disc unreadable error, I have the Signature Edition and am using the new slim version of the console.

dchsknight

dchsknight
  • Members
  • 26 posts
Unfortunately there sometimes in a blue moon a few discs that burn bad. If you bought the game from GameStop make sure to have your receipt. I work there and the policy is 30 days with receipt for opened new product... IF your system did not ring the game you should have no problems returning it for the exact same product. If they BS you around the store policy is 30 days with receipt for a defective exchange for the exact same product. Most of the stores in my district will open the new copy to make it the same as before so as to protect themselves from people trying to get they money back, because NO place will refund your money for a new opened product. If how ever you system ringed your game that is your systems fault and the defective policy does not cover any damage done by your or your system. the only way for a game to get ringed is by your xbox, new games are not sold that way.

NickFurious

NickFurious
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Signature edition here too, but I've only been able to get to the main menu screen. I'm playing on relatively new 60gb system.

infantile

infantile
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same issue on an older black 360 with an (upgraded) 250GB hard drive. Frustrating. Especially since it showed up in the post a day early so I'm not even sure I can exchange it one of Game's stores until tomorrow :-(

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
@infantle
Is yours also the signature edition version? That seems to be the common theme so far. I'll check my disc tonight to see if my xbox did damage the disc just in case but I doubt it.

Protojax

Protojax
  • Members
  • 17 posts
This happened when I first tried to install the game, I got about ten percent in and it gave me the disc read error. The second time I tried to install it worked. Mine is the signature edition, too.

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
Checked my disc and see no rings or any issues with it. However again I am getting that message when trying to load the game. My prior workarounds are having no luck so far. Like the prior poster I'm going to attempt installing the game to my xbox.

habitat 67

habitat 67
  • Members
  • 1,584 posts
Hiya.
This has happened to me twice (coincidentally with ME1 both times) and here's what worked.

1. Clear your systems cache. note: I think all per game updates get erased but I could be mistaken. Regardless, they can be easily reinstalled.
2. remove your hardrive then put it back in. Do this multiple times if necessary.
3. put in a regular DVD. Does IT play?
4. report back if it works!

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
Did those steps and then signed out of xbox live. Then the game launched. I'm trying to see if it'll install on the xbox but it seems to always stop around 46-47 percent saying it can't read it. Also other DVDs and games are loading fine. Even after the last failure to install I got the game to load.

SonvarTheMighty

SonvarTheMighty
  • Members
  • 227 posts
At this point I'm not sure what exactly is causing this anymore. When it does load I'll be fine for an hour or two but then it'll pop up. Then I might be able to load up again and play for a bit or it will bring up the message again. The only consistent part has really been that I'm on a loading screen of some sort when this appears. I'm really enjoying this so far but this is really hurting getting through anything or at least my confidence that I'll be able to get through it

Viscount dash 13

Viscount dash 13
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I had this problem but just this morning I've managed to play the first portion of the game and now I've installed it to the hard drive. Maybe I was just lucky but give this a try...

Turn you Xbox 360 off and remove the Memory Unit (if you have one) I did this in a last act of desperation and managed to play the game fine and eventually install it to the hard drive.

I hope this helps because I know how horrible it is, such a great game. Good Luck.

Like I said before if you have success playing the game, be brave and jump back to the dashboard and install it to the hard drive to be safe from future problems.

Aceje

Aceje
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Well i have the same problem. Disc unreadable no matter what i do.
Got an older 120gb elite console and a normal copy of DA 2.

Now it might be something else too for me since i received my game with the mail and the holder for the disc was broken. The disc itself is literally covered with scratches etc.

LOLiLOLcat99

LOLiLOLcat99
  • Members
  • 12 posts
I have the problem too. Was having the problem from beginning, would go unreadable randomly, then I saw my console was upside down and thought this could be the problem. As i flip it the console rings my signature edition disc. I dont know what to do as the disc wont play at all now. I dont know if or where the disc can be repaired ?

Any one know what I should do?

WindedFlea

WindedFlea
  • Members
  • 1 posts
We also have the same unreadable disk with Dragon Age II: BioWare Signature Edition-Xbox 360. It played fine for a few days but now all we get is the disk unreadable message. We can't continue, load new game, or anything. Now I do believe that the problem is with the signature edition - since we went and rented the normal DA2, put it in, and it loaded and played fine - no problems at all. We put the signature edition in.. same disk unreadable message. All our other xbox games play fine. The problem is with the signature edition dvd and I think Bioware probably knows about it already but is hesitant to admit it. Our disk is flawless - like glass on the surface so it's not a scratch or some other problem that they will attempt to blame it on. I suspect it's a bad DVD burn from the MFR. or maybe bad media. Eitherway.. all of the comments above seem to confirm that its' a problem with the signature edition dvd and it's not something with our systems. The solutions you have suggested might work but I do believe that the corruption coming from the dvd will return once it's data is read back to your xbox again. It's random yes.. but definately with the dvd.. not with our systems. Bioware? you listening? whats up with this? We are exchanging our signature edition from Best Buy today and hopefully no all versions of the signature edition have bad media.

Paul Sedgmore

Paul Sedgmore
  • Members
  • 907 posts
A few could be to do with the machines, however with this many it would be unlikely. It is most likely a manufacturing fault, it would be interesting to see if the discs with the issues are all in the same region or effecting PAL or NTSC copies

NOTE: I have a PAL signature edition and was able to install with no issues (I always install long games as my DVD drive is noisy)