Photo

You cannot in good faith limit a persons ability to play a game because of a forum post.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1559 replies to this topic

Fissure

Fissure
  • Members
  • 10 posts
http://social.biowar...index/6459941/1

Or
"talking crap" in a forum, or chatroom. Calling a company a devil, so
you make it so the guy can't play his own  game. Are you all crazy.
That;'s gonna look good, he insults you so you ground him from playing
the game. Get over yourself EA, some people think your a **** company,
CRAP LIKE THAT IS WHY

Melness

Melness
  • Members
  • 756 posts
This EULA really sucks.

But even the victim agrees that he was unnecessarily vulgar. So I hope this isn't used as an excuse to be an ass in the forums.

Kub666

Kub666
  • Members
  • 400 posts
What the hell happened to this big thread that the moderator urged people to post in?

Getterray

Getterray
  • Members
  • 67 posts
Yes, its quite BS. A comment on a message board should not be grounds for losing the right to play your games. This feels like a violation of consumer rights. You can't, or shouldn't, be able to bury that kind of clause in the EULA and get away with it. In fact, it is illegal to do so.

Fissure

Fissure
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Kub666 wrote...

What the hell happened to this big thread that the moderator urged people to post in?

My other topic was pretty big, no clue why but i can't actually post in it anymore

http://social.biowar...3616/12#6465368

Anathemic

Anathemic
  • Members
  • 2,361 posts
The big thread got locked, kind of ironic.

And plus I would love to see this case get taken to court. Too bad justice system in the US is mediocre and a publisher like EA could just prolong the case and bankrupt the defendant.

lzb2811

lzb2811
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Kub666 wrote...

Pulled out from the board......this is really bad

mordarwarlock

mordarwarlock
  • Members
  • 100 posts
lets continue the thread here, answering to the last user

You get banned for smashing that glass over someones head or abusing the barmaid while there.

territory, landmass =/= product, this is a product, this is not the guy going into EA's offices and smacking them or shooting them with a gun, stop being so dense

You get banned for driving without license, drink driving even other minor and major offences.

car =/= Driveway and Government builds, you are not going into toyota's office to kill them all, you are insulting the creator of the car, which it's the same thing as EA/bioware with their product, again, stop being dense

You get banned for trying to steal that product or smashing it up or causing grief to other members of the public in that place and more.

no you won't get banned from the creator of the product, that applies to government laws, not the product itself, again, the guy did not take the game and kill someone with it, completely unrelated and comparisons that do not make sense

seriously, how much dense, uninformed and downright ignorant could you be?

joriandrake

joriandrake
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts
no one really ready the stuff you click "I agree" on when you install a game, seriously, both the buyers and sellers know that, only a rare 1 of a million people do actually take some hours to read over that thing,this is why the EULA could include such silliness as "if you have complains about the product you forfeit your right to your house and soul" without even noticing it, ever.

IronWolf1987

IronWolf1987
  • Members
  • 87 posts
Might makes right, or as the case usually is money makes right. Even if what has happened is illegal there is no way to stop EA and their near limitless resources. Best way to handle this would try to get this whole thing to go viral and cause a PR storm and see if that changes EA's mind about this.

lovelyrita

lovelyrita
  • Members
  • 14 posts
They can, they did, and that's one more reason to crack it.

The only thing propping up the action as legal is the EULA, though, and EULAs have never been worth anything in court. If someone got banned from the EA community they could probably get away with a lawsuit, seeing as the there are next to no cases in which a license agreement has stood up.

Anathemic

Anathemic
  • Members
  • 2,361 posts

lovelyrita wrote...

They can, they did, and that's one more reason to crack it.

The only thing propping up the action as legal is the EULA, though, and EULAs have never been worth anything in court. If someone got banned from the EA community they could probably get away with a lawsuit, seeing as the there are next to no cases in which a license agreement has stood up.

Well the opponent has to be financially secure, the case does cost money, big bucks. EA is a major publisher and can prolong the case, and in the US cases can take up to 5+ years, it's all about leverage when in the US Justice System.

Maera Imrov

Maera Imrov
  • Members
  • 580 posts
This is not an MMORPG, you should not be able to block people from being able to play an offline game that does not involve social interaction for infractions accrued on a social network. If games want to really push this networking nonsense, and have all of our stuff registered here, then they really need to separate forum access from EA account access. Or at the least make bans from the forums have no bearing on what you do with offline RPGs you paid money for.

The fact that it is not surprises me. I always assumed it had been.

lovelyrita

lovelyrita
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Anathemic wrote...

And plus I would love to see this case get taken to court. Too bad justice system in the US is mediocre and a publisher like EA could just prolong the case and bankrupt the defendant.

It's not worth it to them to drag out the case. If they were sued it would cost them less to settle out of court and there would be less bad internet PR than a long court  case would generate. Lawyer fees are steep. Just reimbursing a customer for damages couldn't amount to as much as hiring lawyers for weeks.

CrimsonKumiho

CrimsonKumiho
  • Members
  • 51 posts
Hilarious. And I mean that in the best way possible. I agree with the above statement. It is like insulting Toyota and having them repo your fully paid-off car for it.

Anathemic

Anathemic
  • Members
  • 2,361 posts

lovelyrita wrote...

Anathemic wrote...

It's not worth it to them to drag out the case. If they were sued it would cost them less to settle out of court and there would be less bad internet PR than a long court  case would generate. Lawyer fees are steep. Just reimbursing a customer for damages couldn't amount to as much as hiring lawyers for weeks.

I guess it depends on EA's views on the scenario if they will get sued for this.

Xsquader

Xsquader
  • Members
  • 11 posts
I was wondering where the other topic went too as I ended up there because a moderator sent me there to discuss it. THen a few minutes later I can't post in it anymore or find it.

unlimited_sake

unlimited_sake
  • Members
  • 22 posts
Dragoonlordz and everyone else talking in the previous topic talking about how the guy might have lied about what he said to get banned, forget about that for a second. That's not the point. Here's what Stanley Woo said when he locked the first thread.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Now whether the guy whose account was locked told the truth, or he got banned because he was inciting racial hatred, as you suggested, or he posted pictures of dead kittens, or he posted Flemeth/Tali fanfic, it is irrelevant. What's at issue is this: is it okay for EA/Bioware to prevent someone from using a product he's already paid $60 for, as well as any other products that may have been linked to his account, without refund because he posted something that they didn't like on their forums?

If so, what if the product cost $600? $6000? Where do you draw the line?

What's at issue is our rights as a consumer, and how this policy violates it.

For reference:

The original topic: http://social.biowar.../index/6459941/
The previous discussion: http://social.biowar...index/6463616/1

Edited by unlimited_sake, 11 March 2011 - 04:34 AM.

Unit-Alpha

Unit-Alpha
  • Members
  • 4,015 posts

unlimited_sake wrote...

Dragoonlordz and everyone else talking in the previous topic talking about how the guy might have lied about what he said to get banned, forget about that for a second. That's not the point. Here's what Stanley Woo said when he locked the first thread.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Now whether the guy whose account was locked told the truth, or he got banned because he was inciting racial hatred, as you suggested, or he posted pictures of dead kittens, or he posted Flemeth/Tali fanfic, it is irrelevant. What's at issue is this: is it okay for EA/Bioware to prevent someone from using a product he's already paid $60 for (plus any other products that may have been linked to his account) without refund because he posted something that they didn't like on their forums?

Quite. Even if it's not as if he said anything that was worse than the standard Activision/Kotick/Devil deal or M$, he still has the right to the items he purchased.

However, it's not about him in particular. It's about the policy itself.

Edited by Unit-Alpha, 11 March 2011 - 04:36 AM.

Anathemic

Anathemic
  • Members
  • 2,361 posts

unlimited_sake wrote...

Now whether the guy whose account was locked told the truth, or he got banned because he was inciting racial hatred, as you suggested, or he posted pictures of dead kittens, or he posted Flemeth/Tali fanfic, it is irrelevant. What's at issue is this: is it okay for EA/Bioware to prevent someone from using a product he's already paid $60 for, as well as any other products that may have been linked to his account, without refund because he posted something that they didn't like on their forums?

Thank you for bringing sensibiltiy into this issue

Unit-Alpha

Unit-Alpha
  • Members
  • 4,015 posts
Double post.

Edited by Unit-Alpha, 11 March 2011 - 04:36 AM.

Cyocide

Cyocide
  • Members
  • 195 posts
Uh oh, this has been picked up by Reddit.

One.
Two.
Three.
I'm out.

I'm with ya, hold the door open mayne!

Magnum87

Magnum87
  • Members
  • 11 posts
The big thread was removed because other gaming sites were beginning to post links to it.

grushvak

grushvak
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Melness wrote...

But even the victim agrees that he was unnecessarily vulgar. So I hope this isn't used as an excuse to be an ass in the forums.

And that's exactly why a forums ban would have been justified. What they did was ban him and in the same swoop take his games from him.

Kaos_Renegade

Kaos_Renegade
  • Members
  • 10 posts
Uh oh, this has been picked up by Reddit.

Yeah nothing beats a bunch of self-righteous gamer in nerdrage mode imma right?!