Photo

Seriously BW re-used the same dungeons OVER and OVER?!?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Dracotamer

Dracotamer
  • Members
  • 890 posts
I am finding this hard to believe, but so far it rings through. I have entered many different dungeons or quest locations only to find they are the EXACT same layout design as many of my previous adventures....

TheEveProject

TheEveProject
  • Members
  • 640 posts
yep.

Torpedic

Torpedic
  • Members
  • 27 posts
They did, but don't worry, the did it "artfully".
It's all good :)

rumination888

rumination888
  • Members
  • 1,274 posts
We all knew the game only took a year to produce. It was obvious they had to cut corners to meet EA's deadline.

Savber100

Savber100
  • Members
  • 2,811 posts
Yup.... of all the stripped and added streamlined features...THIS is impossible to defend. Sorry Bioware :P

JimmyG

JimmyG
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Dragon Age II is served with a healthy helping of copy pasta.

staindgrey

staindgrey
  • Members
  • 2,478 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Why did EA have such a ridiculously strict deadline in the first place? This isn't a sports game or Guitar Hero.

Granted, considering they had only a year or so... I'm actually impressed with how good it turned out. There are far worse games that stay in development for years.

KnightHood00

KnightHood00
  • Members
  • 30 posts
The settings were reused a lot but it didn't really matter to me. I was kind of focused on killing things and getting through quests. They weren't drab either so it was fine.

Vhaius

Vhaius
  • Members
  • 237 posts
It got jarring at times, at the very least they varied the items, furniture and paraphernalia that littered the dungeons.

RigVertigo

RigVertigo
  • Members
  • 32 posts
^^^^Reminded a whole lot of the side quests in the first "Mass Effect". You'd drive around on the planet for awhile until you got to the indoor environment and it was either "indoor environment A" or "indoor environment B". At least here you actually get some significant story progression afterwards.

RosaAquafire

RosaAquafire
  • Members
  • 1,180 posts
Am I the only one who not only didn't care much, didn't notice much?

I'm not sure I would have liked budget to be taken from other parts of the game to make a slightlty different cave to run around in. Maybe it's just my ****ty sense of direction, but I really just didn't notice much.

Is this such a big deal? I'm not judging anyone, I'm just wondering why this IS such a big deal.

Solitas777

Solitas777
  • Members
  • 54 posts
I noticed a lot. Good game, but this sort of thing smacks of laziness and why this game got an 80% and not the 100% Bioware games get.

Nyaore

Nyaore
  • Members
  • 1,627 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

RosaAquafire wrote...

I'm not sure I would have liked budget to be taken from other parts of the game to make a slightlty different cave to run around in. Maybe it's just my ****ty sense of direction, but I really just didn't notice much.

Is this such a big deal? I'm not judging anyone, I'm just wondering why this IS such a big deal.

Probably because in the real world each cave does not look like the other in terms of layout, and neither do many other natural wonders. The houses and alleyways I could understand overlapping, since the same thing happens in the real world with floor plans for buildings and streets. However, while I'm not as critical as some others have been about this matter I do have problems with the repetition in the natural environments. I didn't even mind having to visit the same areas over and over again, but it bugged me when caves I had never even seen before looked exactly the same as the last cave I visited.
I think another reason why it bothers some people is that the idea of copy and pasting anything, be it homework, an essay, or environments reeks of laziness to many. Which then only adds more fuel to the flames that some people are already spewing about the entire game. It's rather telling that many are willing to forgive the repetition when it occurs in a game they like such as Origins or Mass Effect, but can't stand it when it happens in a title they are less than thrilled about.

Slidell505

Slidell505
  • Members
  • 9,047 posts

staindgrey wrote...

Why did EA have such a ridiculously strict deadline in the first place? This isn't a sports game or Guitar Hero.

Granted, considering they had only a year or so... I'm actually impressed with how good it turned out. There are far worse games that stay in development for years.

They're trying to keep up with Kotick.

Vukodlak

Vukodlak
  • Members
  • 181 posts

RosaAquafire wrote...

I didn't really notice either.

Dracotamer

Dracotamer
  • Members
  • 890 posts
I found it very immersion breaking. DA2 had so many immersion breaking features and has been dumbed down so much it is hardly recognizable. Shame on you Bioware.

RosaAquafire

RosaAquafire
  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

Nyaore wrote...
Probably because in the real world each cave does not look like the other in terms of layout, and neither do many other natural wonders. The houses and alleyways I could understand overlapping, since the same thing happens in the real world with floor plans for buildings and streets. However, while I'm not as critical as some others have been about this matter I do have problems with the repetition in the natural environments. I didn't even mind having to visit the same areas over and over again, but it bugged me when caves I had never even seen before looked exactly the same as the last cave I visited.

I think another reason why it bothers some people is that the idea of copy and pasting anything, be it homework, an essay, or environments reeks of laziness to many. Which then only adds more fuel to the flames that some people are already spewing about the entire game. It's rather telling that many are willing to forgive the repetition when it occurs in a game they like such as Origins or Mass Effect, but can't stand it when it happens in a title they are less than thrilled about.

Fair enough! I get it's unrealistic, I just personally don't see the worth of mapping out an entirely new cave for one mini sidequest you go to. Seems a tiny thing to complain about it.

I think it IS that people are already upset about DA2 -- I disagree, but they're allowed to be -- and this one is an easy target that's hard to defend if you think this matters.

Cuthlan

Cuthlan
  • Members
  • 2,329 posts
Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were both also completely horrible games because of this.

So was NWN (tilesetslol).

Except they weren't...

People are looking for reasons to be upset at Bioware over DA2. This is a valid concern for some, but it's hardly something new for Bioware, and it hasn't stopped me from enjoying games before. And it didn't stop me this time.

Harleyzero

Harleyzero
  • Members
  • 7 posts
It annoyed me at times. But a lot of games do this. Oblivion, morrowind etc all had a hell of a lot of recycling. Its expected when the game is made in a single year. But yeah origins had much more in terms on new locations and dungeons. Hopefully next time they make a game they take more time with it. Anyway it didn't get on my nerves too much.

freddfx

freddfx
  • Members
  • 82 posts

RosaAquafire wrote...

I have a feeling you might feel right at home in a game that takes place in one setting all the time, I prefer a bit of variety myself... maybe a different looking jungle... or building interior... oh look this alley looks different. It's much easier for me to endure than the same layout over and over... the exact same alleys and backways, with the exact same spawn points. 

SmokePants

SmokePants
  • Members
  • 1,121 posts
Minor complaint. It's understandable from a development standpoint. Art takes longer than design. They employed some tricks to make them seem different, which was appreciated.

RosaAquafire

RosaAquafire
  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

freddfx wrote..

I have a feeling you might feel right at home in a game that takes place in one setting all the time, I prefer a bit of variety myself... maybe a different looking jungle... or building interior... oh look this alley looks different. It's much easier for me to endure than the same layout over and over... the exact same alleys and backways, with the exact same spawn points.

It's true, I really actually enjoyed staying in a centralized location the entire game :D I liked learning all the alleys, all the stops. When I first came to Kirkwall, it was huge and I couldn't find anything and it was overwhelming. But as time went on, I learned all the routes and layouts of the city. I think it reflected what Hawke's character goes through really well, and I enjoyed that. SHRUG!

Different strokes!

Gerudan

Gerudan
  • Members
  • 1,610 posts
Well, if you don't have enough time to build the dungeons, you have to help yourself somehow by recycling the same map over and over again.

Taiyama

Taiyama
  • Members
  • 422 posts
Yes, they reused stuff a lot. I normally side with the Bioware devs, but this is just absolutely stupid. There's no excuse besides EA rushing them to meet the one year deadline. Ugh... There are so many good things about this game, but some that really REALLY mar its potential.

And I'm still p***ed that since Leliana is, no matter what, off galavanting with the Divine doing ninja Chantry work, that implies that she left my Warden. I THOUGHT WE WERE IN LOVE, LELIANA! Posted Image

ReavousX

ReavousX
  • Members
  • 204 posts
I think one of the reasons why some people are so burned by the blatant recycling of maps is that it's confirmation that there were time constraints on the development of a game that we all had a lot of hope for. It's not a big deal, side quest dungeons are hardly at the top of my list of things I care about, but as others have said, it did break the immersion for me. Eventually you just deal with it, but I'm the type who does every single quest...and when there's such a large amount of side quests that lead you various maps, different dungeon designs are what keeps it interesting. When you know what's around every corner the chore of side questing becomes a little more of a burden.

One wonders what six more months could have changed in DA 2.