Photo

Dragon Age II DRM. Answering the SecuROM question

260 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
Hi Everyone.

Some people are still questioning the Dragon Age II DRM (Digital Rights Management), specifically whether or not a system called SecuROM is used or not.

Dragon Age II does not use SecuROM DRM. Any statements made to the contrary are false. The confusion stems from the use of Release Control which is also made by Sony. Release Control was employed to protect the game against usage prior to its release date. These are two different technologies with different purposes. Release Control in no way affects users’ rights to access after launch, and its executable automatically deletes itself once the Release Control process is finished. For more information, please visit Dragon Age II Support.

FAQ

Do you use SecuROM DRM?
No, the game does not use SecuROM DRM.  Dragon Age II uses a technology from the Sony SecuROM technology group called Release Control.  While Release Control is made by the same development team as SecuROM DRM, Release Control is simply a technology that involves a one-time startup check with a server to confirm that official street date for the game has passed.  Once the street date has passed and the check is done, this software is removed.

What are the differences between SecuROM DRM and Release Control?
Among other things, SecuROM DRM is a technology used to prevent against unauthorized copying and access of software, and may be disc based or involve online activation.

Release Control is a completely different product with a different purpose.  Release Control’s sole purpose is to protect software until its street date, by doing an online server check on initial game startup to confirm the street date has passed, at which point it removes itself.

Why did I see a pop-up message that says SecuROM when I installed my game before the official release date?
Release Control is a separate Sony product from SecuROM DRM, but is developed by the same technology group and support is provided through a common Sony customer support site. That is why SecuROM branding and the SecuROM support URL appear in Release Control.

When my installation and online check are completed, why are there files remaining in my temp folder saying SecuROM?
Both SecuROM DRM and Release Control products are made by the same company, and as such they share a small number of common utility library files.  This is common to any software development – for example, developers often use Microsoft common libraries for Windows-based software or re-use internally created libraries with a discreet purpose across multiple products (e.g. connect to a server), rather than duplicating or re-writing the same code for each product.

Although Release Control has an auto-removal process, these inert library files are left in a windows temp directory.  This is also common practice with software.  But these files are indeed inert and you can easily, manually remove them by doing a simply temp folder cleanup.  There are no SecuROM DRM product files installed.

We hope this clears up any outstanding questions about Dragon Age II DRM. :)

:devil:

Gary the Gnu

Gary the Gnu
  • Members
  • 58 posts
requesting a lock.

cloudstrife070

cloudstrife070
  • Members
  • 65 posts
we totally believe in you guys LOL

Karathandir

Karathandir
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Funny looks like DRM version 7.42 even does a disk check. Perhaps If you call it something else loud enough more people would believe this

http://arstechnica.c...=1#comments-bar

yogibbear87

yogibbear87
  • Members
  • 27 posts
If the Sony Release Control server were to go down, would I no longer be able to activate DA2?

Yes/No.

Thanks.

KaZumaSaru

KaZumaSaru
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Karathandir wrote...

Funny looks like DRM version 7.42 even does a disk check. Perhaps If you call it something else loud enough more people would believe this

http://arstechnica.c...=1#comments-bar

So if Sony shuts down its Release Control servers, those on Release Control get shafted?

Also, why the heck would a disk check be necessary when you guys clearly said it doesnt need one?

HighFlyingDwarf

HighFlyingDwarf
  • Members
  • 214 posts
Was this disclosed prior to release?

jlibster

jlibster
  • Members
  • 7 posts
To answer Yogibbear87, I'd say no. Think about it.

Sorry EA, but this looks a legal grey hair to me. A subset can still contain dangerous elements of the original. (and usually does) This DRM is made by Sony from SecuROM. You acknowledge is shares a "small" amount of functionality of SecuROM. Small doesn't mean insignificant.  Many have said this before: We will not buy any game with SecuROM. You say it removes it after online activation. How do we know that? and what does it leave behind that you may or may not have disclosed (since failed to menion it was SecuROM subset before now). I'll give people a criteria you (EA) cannot work around so easily:

Any of your games which include: Mandatory Internet activation, SecuROM, libraries of SecuROM or any DRM that install root kits, is difficult to remove either by hidden files/registry values/files or undisclosed materials or is not removed fully upon uninstall is off my purchase list.

Furthermore, I remember people asking specifically if there was anything other than a Disk check (like Dragon Age I). EA/Bioware said "no". So at least to my inquires, your action were in contriction of the answer I saw posted several months ago. Using SecuROM "components" or libraries I consider to be a deception in spirit; an attempt to force SecuROM on people and get around a court order at the same time. We've noticed, and now the public will no longer trust you. Unfortunately, that includes me. I've just written off Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 as you've set a pattern of behavior. If you ever decide to stop this sneaky nonsense, you'll have to prove through independent agencies that you aren't trying to deceive/poison us with intrusive DRM libraries again.

Edited by jlibster, 13 March 2011 - 04:26 PM.

BAOBAB_AOTEAROA

BAOBAB_AOTEAROA
  • Members
  • 90 posts
oh bioware .....please.........
securecom is a company , i as a player , have no reason to trust......they were evasive, the were hiding the truth, they were doing things on my computer i didn´t have no idea about, and i PAID them to do it??????
TRUST is the magic word and once there is no trust there cannot be the  CONFIDENCE to buy a certain product......

Edited by BAOBAB_AOTEAROA, 13 March 2011 - 04:33 PM.

ManiacalEvil

ManiacalEvil
  • Members
  • 208 posts

jlibster wrote...

To answer Yogibbear87, I'd say no. Think about it.

Sorry EA, but this looks a legal grey hair to me. A subset can still contain dangerous elements of the original. (and usually does) This DRM is made by Sony from SecuROM. You acknowledge is shares a "small" amount of functionality of SecuROM. Small doesn't mean insignificant.  Many have said this before: We will not buy any game with SecuROM. You say it removes it after online activation. How do we know that? and what does it leave behind that you may or may not have disclosed (since failed to menion it was SecuROM subset before now). I'll give people a criteria you (EA) cannot work around so easily:

Any of your games which include: Mandatory Internet activation, SecuROM, libraries of SecuROM or any DRM that install root kits, is difficult to remove either by hidden files/registry values/files or undisclosed materials or is not removed fully upon uninstall is off my purchase list.

Furthermore, I remember people asking specifically if there was anything other than a Disk check (like Dragon Age I). EA/Bioware said "no". So at least to my inquires, your action were in contriction of the answer I saw posted several months ago. Using SecuROM "components" or libraries I consider to be a deception in spirit; an attempt to force SecuROM on people and get around a court order at the same time. We've noticed, and now the public will no longer trust you. Unfortunately, that includes me. I've just written off Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 as you've set a pattern of behavior. If you ever decide to stop this sneaky nonsense, you'll have to prove through independent agencies that you aren't trying to deceive/poison us with intrusive DRM libraries again.

I don't quite think you understand what libraries are. They can be as general as having functionality that allows to communicate to a server. Really, why should a new library be made just because of the previous product it was used in? A library is like a weapon. It depends on what you do with it.

Jaron Oberyn

Jaron Oberyn
  • Members
  • 4,636 posts
It says I have securom on my pc after I installed it. Never had it before so i'm reluctant to believe your post. Face it - you guys lied. You, most specifically EA, are backed up against a wall and will inevitably face legal consequences for this action. Not only that, but you've shown many of your fans that they can't trust you anymore. Made your quick $$$ sure. But in the long run, you damaged your future sales, closest being ME3. Hope it was worth it.

-Polite

Gisle Aune

Gisle Aune
  • Members
  • 1,081 posts
OK, why the fuss? I installed the game, went trough the activation process easily and release control is done. That's all, I have never met any obstacle between the play button and the game. The release check was just checking online for a date.

Can the game be played on two computers simioultaniously given that they're using the same installation, account and are under the same local network?

Edited by Gisle Aune, 13 March 2011 - 05:21 PM.

ACDimps

ACDimps
  • Members
  • 323 posts
you guys have lots all credibility in my book.

Clammo

Clammo
  • Members
  • 150 posts
So it doesn't use Securom, but when customers encounter problems with the release control it directs them to Securom's help page - okay then......

Bioware was specifically asked did it use Securom at all and they replied it didn't. This statement and the above paragraph tend to contradict each other. Not to suggest you flat out lied to your customers, but if it walks like a duck, has feathers like a duck and quacks like a duck....

TacPlay

TacPlay
  • Members
  • 14 posts
:o   Posted Image

Edited by TacPlay, 13 March 2011 - 06:12 PM.

Shirosaki17

Shirosaki17
  • Members
  • 847 posts
Hi, playing DA2 on PC. I'm pretty sure I wasn't logged in to anything and had the upload feedback stuff turned off, and still got a message in game that I think server connection lost or something similar. It showed up where the quest info and completion text is above the portraits. If no DRM what was this about then? Some bug where I'm still connected to your servers regardless of settings?

Drax_Lyonsbane

Drax_Lyonsbane
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Shirosaki17 wrote...

Hi, playing DA2 on PC. I'm pretty sure I wasn't logged in to anything and had the upload feedback stuff turned off, and still got a message in game that I think server connection lost or something similar. It showed up where the quest info and completion text is above the portraits. If no DRM what was this about then? Some bug where I'm still connected to your servers regardless of settings?

Had this also, I'm still not sure I wasn't logged in though since it happened only once.

Shatterkiss

Shatterkiss
  • Members
  • 152 posts
Some Securom =/= NO securom.

Melness

Melness
  • Members
  • 756 posts

Shatterkiss wrote...

Some Securom =/= NO securom.

My brother once wrote me some code for reasons I won't specify. My scan identified it as a virus.

Was it a virus?

Edited by Melness, 13 March 2011 - 07:10 PM.

BadGameIsBad

BadGameIsBad
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Hi Everyone.

Lies, lies, lies, more lies, covering our asses for the incoming lawsuit, lies, and more lies.

We hope this clears up any outstanding questions about Dragon Age II DRM. :)

:devil:

Yup that sure cleared things up for me Chris.

HighFlyingDwarf

HighFlyingDwarf
  • Members
  • 214 posts

Melness wrote...

My brother once wrote me some code for reasons I won't specify. My scan identified it as a virus.

Was it a virus?

No, you just have a very sensitive antivirus program.

Garak2

Garak2
  • Members
  • 308 posts
So why does any company care if you start a game a few hours early?

Melness

Melness
  • Members
  • 756 posts

HighFlyingDwarf wrote...

Melness wrote...

Was it a virus?

No, you just have a very sensitive antivirus program.

Pretty much, but I like him though. The only one that doesn't seem to hate me.

TelexFerra

TelexFerra
  • Members
  • 1,621 posts
Don't you guys get it! They're subliminally telling us that EA has assumed direct control, and will not be RELEASING CONTROL.

djwyattwood

djwyattwood
  • Members
  • 92 posts
So when do we get the truth? The part where they deliberately left the SecuROM name off of DRM because they knew we wouldn't buy it? They call it Dragon Age 2 Release Control when it's actually Sony SecuROM release control. We won't get the truth because once they admit to it, instant law suit.

They didn't tell us the whole truth on purpose. Intentional lying.

Edited by djwyattwood, 13 March 2011 - 07:48 PM.