Photo

Is is right that a ban of a customer's EA account prevent the banned customer from accessing single player content?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

Adepitice

Adepitice
  • Members
  • 4 posts
 As suggested by the moderator who locked this thread: http://social.biowar...1/index/6503413 I open this one to discuss on the matter.

So let's discuss.

Gary the Gnu

Gary the Gnu
  • Members
  • 58 posts
I think it is really, really not good of them to have such a power to do so. I don't even know why it was/is instilled into a SP game.

AJRimmsey

AJRimmsey
  • Members
  • 1,459 posts
I`m betting a testicle the point was to lock it,and not to start another one with the same question.

heres a hint,if no rules are broken and it gets locked,your next one is getting locked too

LeaveMeAlone9009

LeaveMeAlone9009
  • Members
  • 180 posts
DONT POST THIS MAN, THEY ARE WATCHING USSSS

FellowerOfOdin

FellowerOfOdin
  • Members
  • 1,326 posts
I don't want to get too deep into that certain area we must not debate on these forums, but EA cannot render you unable to play the game by banning your account as there are plenty of opportunities to get around it, including long discussions with the support or...other ways.

TheJestersHat

TheJestersHat
  • Members
  • 253 posts
Maybe it was another accident....

Pacifien

Pacifien
  • Members
  • 11,527 posts
I'm going to have to move the thread because it's not strictly Dragon Age 2 related (though I am aware that it has beginnings with someone having problems accessing the game). Moving to Off-Topic, which is personally more like "BioWare General" to me, so don't take it as banishment to the netherworld.

Adepitice

Adepitice
  • Members
  • 4 posts

AJRimmsey wrote...

I`m betting a testicle the point was to lock it,and not to start another one with the same question.

heres a hint,if no rules are broken and it gets locked,your next one is getting locked too

I don't think so, he clearly said that the previous one was locked because it was about one specific ban, I opened this thread to discuss about the matter in genral.

So two completely diffrent puposes.

Randomjob

Randomjob
  • Members
  • 239 posts
Ugh, what does this have to do with dragon age 2 general discussion. Can't you do this on some other random gaming forum?

It would be nice if this forum actually talked about the game and wasn't just constant spam (both complaints and blind praise, mind you).

passionata

passionata
  • Members
  • 81 posts
I find it hard to believe in human errors regarding these issues...Nor do I see that they were corrected if they had indeed been human errors. I am pretty sure news sites already started picking up on that topic again.

aries1001

aries1001
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts
Isn't the problem more than gamers risk being locked out (banned) from their games because of a forum post. And that EA probably has a text parser looking for what they flag as profanity and then have a mailrobot sending out the 72 hour bans automatically.

I agree that it is a bit harsh to prevent people from getting access to their dlc by banning their entire EA account - because of a forum post. As I understand, steps seem to be taken to prevent this from happening ever again.

accessd

accessd
  • Members
  • 138 posts
This is not a MMO. Blizzard bans people who are ruining the game experience of other players. Either by abusing language, theft from your guild, ruining the economy (gold selling) and so on.
They are also banning people from the forums - but these bans are not hindering the banned playing World of Warcraft. Forums are totally separates from the game itself so to speak.

When people who are using abusive language in these forums gets banned its ok as long it doesn't interfere with their purchased products in my opinion. Sadly it's not the case and thus its not ok.

arghhhjustletmein

arghhhjustletmein
  • Members
  • 15 posts
Given that we were told the original ban a couple of days ago was a glitch, I find it troubling to see other people coming forward and apparantly they are also being banned from the game.  I do NOT think it is right to use access to a single player game as a beating stick to try and control the content of posts on forums, it seems like some kind of
Orwellion social control experiment.

I seem to recall another company that thought it would be a good idea to attempt to control forum behaviour, except they sought to use the fear of forcing people to post using their Real ID. I hope this does turn out to just be a 'glitch' rather than a deliberate company policy, otherwise I think Bioware are headed for their very own version of Blizzards Real ID fiasco.

Edited by arghhhjustletmein, 13 March 2011 - 02:34 PM.

KenKenpachi

KenKenpachi
  • Members
  • 5,768 posts

accessd wrote...

This is not a MMO. Blizzard bans people who are ruining the game experience of other players. Either by abusing language, theft from your guild, ruining the economy (gold selling) and so on.
They are also banning people from the forums - but these bans are not hindering the banned playing World of Warcraft. Forums are totally separates from the game itself so to speak.

When people who are using abusive language in these forums gets banned its ok as long it doesn't interfere with their purchased products in my opinion. Sadly it's not the case and thus its not ok.

They do the same on Starcraft 2 actully, and it bans you from playing the game, unless you buy a new CD code. And in the modern age you don't own crap, Don't pay the taxes on your properties, and such and see how long till they snatch it up...Though I know a way around that in some states at least, where you don't have to pay the tax ever. But anyways, right or wrong, it seems games are just doing what the government and retailers have been for years.

And the Real ID thing works very well in South Korea, the problem is you have alot of people in the west that love being trolls, and jack asses, and would get there asses handed to them (as they deserve) if they had no wall to hide behind.

Edited by KenKenpachi, 13 March 2011 - 02:40 PM.

DinoCrisisFan

DinoCrisisFan
  • Members
  • 939 posts
He was banned for having an opinion and expressing said opinion? People do that all the time in the Mass Effect forum. I think it's unfair what happened to him.

DinoCrisisFan

DinoCrisisFan
  • Members
  • 939 posts
Please remember that corporations are amoral institutions. They don't exist to do right or wrong, they exist to make a profit.

DukeOfNukes

DukeOfNukes
  • Members
  • 1,431 posts
I believe BioWare has already addressed this...him being banned from playing single player was a fluke, and should not have happened.

KenKenpachi

KenKenpachi
  • Members
  • 5,768 posts
Yes it was, but some people just love beating a dead horse.

Guest_Stanley Woo_*

Guest_Stanley Woo_*
  • Guests
 :ph34r:[spam image removed]:ph34r:

Edited by Stanley Woo, 14 March 2011 - 05:04 PM.

Moondoggie

Moondoggie
  • Members
  • 3,740 posts
I wish people would just shut up about the issue. It's been dealt with statements were made end of story. I know the guy it happened to wants to suck as much attention as he can out of it and some people need any excuse to take a shot at EA but just get over it. All these threads are getting boring.

SleeplessInSigil

SleeplessInSigil
  • Members
  • 710 posts
Some of the retards idiots on here were more than asking for it though. This is a great example of double-trolling.

It's like running naked into the streets yelling obscenities harassing passerbys and then complaining about the police after you get jailed and screaming Tyranny!!!1

The solution is simple: Do not be an idiot. Apparently it's real hard for some morons.

SleeplessInSigil

SleeplessInSigil
  • Members
  • 710 posts
Also, most of the people pretending to complain about this are newly-created accounts with no games registered to them, therefore clearly intended to troll (you'd have to be utterly naive not to notice that) or members with a history of making idiotic posts almost all the time.

Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands are still happily enjoying their purchases. You know, the ones that don't feel the need to spaz out on the internet like a moron with brain cancer every N hours.

Edited by SleeplessInSigil, 13 March 2011 - 11:15 PM.

mousestalker

mousestalker
  • Members
  • 12,848 posts
I think the forum moderators are an amazingly attractive group of people. They truly are startlingly good looking.

TheBrownDragon

TheBrownDragon
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Fernando Melo said, or at least heavily implied, here and here that forum bans should not affect game or DLC access, and that they are investigating and fixing the issue.

The question, of course, arises that if this were never supposed to happen, how could it ever happen without the ability to do so deliberately put in there in the first place, and why did Stanley Woo here point out the terms of service and blatantly say that they can ban you from your game?

(NOTE: On reading the terms and conditions it says that EA can ban you at their sole discretion if they so please.)

Then, after this all happens, we have another case here
where the person can't log in, the game tells him he is banned and it won't
let him proceed so he cannot access the DLCs that were paid for.

That this happens once is appalling, but they promised it would be fixed. That they are still banning someone after all this is even worse.

Edited by TheBrownDragon, 14 March 2011 - 02:08 AM.

Moondoggie

Moondoggie
  • Members
  • 3,740 posts

TheBrownDragon wrote...

Fernando Melo said, or at least heavily implied, here and here that forum bans should not affect game or DLC access, and that they are investigating and fixing the issue.

The question, of course, arises that if this were never supposed to happen, how could it ever happen without the ability to do so deliberately put in there in the first place, and why did Stanley Woo here point out the terms of service and blatantly say that they can ban you from your game.

(NOTE: On reading the terms and conditions it says that EA can ban you at their sole discretion if they so please.)

Then, after this all happens, we have another case here
where the person can't log in the game tells him he is banned and won't
let him proceed so he cannot access the DLCs that were paid for.

That this happens once is appalling, but they promised it would be fixed. That they are still banning someone after all this is even worse.

Cry moar.