Photo

Constructive Criticism

2797 replies to this topic

HawXV2

HawXV2
  • Members
  • 661 posts
NOTICE: THIS  POST IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF ALL FEEDBACK. PLEASE READ USERS POSTS IN THIS THREAD FOR MORE SPECIFIC FEEDBACK. THIS IS SIMPLY A GENERALIZATION.

Ok, now that we who own the game have a forum to post in, let's do BioWare a favor and post what is really wrong with a great game without being trolled.

Re-used maps

...Really nothing to say here.

Enemy encounters

Why do they randomly appear? In Origins, you guys had it perfectly. Behind a door they would come streaming, or when you turn the corner, bam! Darkspawn! Now, they just...apear. Literally. I've defeated many a wave quickly, just to see a warrior phase through like Star Trek! Very immersion breaking.

Rogue-type enemies

They're so overpowered! They'll disappear and one shot my healer, or if they don't, they'll half my tank's health! And there seems to be no CD. Tsk Tsk!

Linearernessed...uh...Linearreerrr...It feels too one-track minded

Don't get me wrong, the style of story telling was very good, and the story itself was superior to Origins in my opinion, but it just felt...pushed along. In Origins, it felt like you could do anything at anytime. In this one, I just felt like I had to everything in this order. 

The feel

It didn't feel as big as Origins, which is sort of a give-in. It's only based in Kirikwall, which is a setting that looks simply stunning, but it just has to have more places to go to. It loses it's epic feeling when you stay in one place. Expand upon it!

Enemy deaths

Some of these are just ludicrous. I stab a guy in the back and he explodes? What? This does feel a bit childish, and only leads to more immersion breaking. 

Junk

It's...junk? Yay? I just killed a dragon and I get...junk? This has potential, such as possible lore, backstories and stuff. You can even make it a sidequest. Rebuild an ancient Elven weapon or dwarven armor. The way it is now, it's just taking up disc space and has to go.

Auto-Attack

Nothing much to say, just need a toggle for some of us. I like both ways, though.

Companions

What's that, Alistair? You're a bastard?! Oh noes! Leliana, that lady will KILL YOU! Add in some LI dialogue, BioWare! I really would've fallen in love with Isabella if she would've told me about life at sea, or Fenris if he would've explained about his Lyrium skin, or life in Tevinter. I think you guys did wonderful with the romance dialouge itself, but I would like to personally know them.

Armor

We need more of it! Give us armor sets. Origins had a ton. In this game, it's 3. Although this does add to the legendary feel of it, we just want more choices. Also, ditch the colorful basic plate armor. It doesn't feel warrior like at all. The kind from Origins was perfect, it had a great color. It's not the armor style, it's the color.

Friendly Fire toggle

Some of us want FF on levels like hard, where combat isn't as tough as NM, or as easy as normal. Personally, I hate it, but the people want what they want! :P

Darkspawn

I'm sort of sleepy while putting this, but these designs are horrible. The original were much better, and a lot scarier. What happened to Genlock and Shurlock? Did Hurlocks get jealous and slaughter them all? Just bring back the old designs and put back in Genlocks and Shurlocks.

2 stat requirements

See Dave of Canada's post on page 12. He summed it up far better than I can.

Interface

A lot of people don't like the new interface. It just doesn't scream RPG. It seems a bit too modern. The look of Origins was fantastic. Let's go back to it.

Would like to be seen:

CPU interactions

Nothing really intricate, but if I run into somebody, I want to see them stumble and grunt angrily, maybe even curse at me. If I get into a fight, I want civilians running away, or guards helping out.

Weather

Does it ever rain or snow in Thedas? I want to see this. It would help greatly with the RPG experience.

Change log:
3/15/11: Added Exploding enemies
3/15/11: Added Inventory Junk
3/15/11: Added Auto-Attack 
3/15/11: Added Dialogue (for companions)
3/15/11: Added Armor color
3/15/11: Added FF toggle for Hard
3/15/11: Added Arcane Warrior
3/15/11: Added Darkspawn Designs
3/15/11: Removed Arcane Warrior. It was decided that not having it made a lot of sense lore wise, and just shows BioWare's intelligence in lore design.
3/16/11: Added 2 stat requirements
3/16/11: Added Interface design
3/16/11: Added CPU interactions
3/16/11: Added Weather
3/16/11: New section! What would like to be seen.
( I'm going to find a more effecient way for this log soon)

I'm sure there are other gripes from other people. If you post them, I'll add them here, as I'm sure these aren't the only problems people don't like. But most people need to agree with it, as what you may find fault with, many others may like.

Ok, constructively complain away, guys.

Edited by HawXV2, 24 March 2011 - 01:39 AM.

Spatchmo

Spatchmo
  • Members
  • 386 posts
I love the game, and am playing a second and third playthrough simultaneously, but I am 100% with you on the re-used maps and enemies spawning out of thin air. The map re-use is borderline offensive.

Rockpopple

Rockpopple
  • Members
  • 3,098 posts
I'd add some of the rogue animations. Not all! In fact, keep most of the battle animation, especially for the mages. I love how they have swagger now. But enemies shouldn't explode from being stabbed in the back.

John Epler

John Epler
  • BioWare Employees
  • 3,390 posts
If you have nothing to add to a thread, don't reply to it.

Seriously.

Spam posts removed.

Edited by JohnEpler, 15 March 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Zealuu

Zealuu
  • Members
  • 188 posts
I like high fantasy, but the whole street thugs magically phasing into existence like space invaders frequently prompts me to use the tactical pause function in order to tactically facepalm. I'd humbly suggest a middle ground approach in DA3 - I mean, skeletal warriors crawling out of the earth and the likes are cool. Enemies randomly appearing in the middle of combat could would be a great way to surprise the player and force them to alter their tactics, if it was used sparingly instead of constantly.

Edited by Zealuu, 15 March 2011 - 07:03 PM.

Ryenke

Ryenke
  • Members
  • 100 posts
Adding to original (good, imo) post

The inventory.

The junk-idea is not really fun (without descriptions or pretty pictures - why not just spare me the grinding back and forth to merchants and have the monsters drop me the money directly!)   I miss descriptions and history on non-junk items too!  I miss companion equiping!

ALSO, to paraphrase someone else on the general board - DA2 feels less like a role playing game and more like a choose your own adventure movie - I suppose that is what Bioware was going for, but disapointing for me. 

Edited by Ryenke, 15 March 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Rockpopple

Rockpopple
  • Members
  • 3,098 posts
I'm curious, to any Dev, John or whomever... if you had a chance to do 1 thing over when it comes to DA 2, what would it be?

Snarky or humourous responses welcome.

ZacOfTheZombies

ZacOfTheZombies
  • Members
  • 25 posts
The script could use some definite work. It feels like someone thought Twilight was the pinnacle of Romantic Literature and tried to copy it. The non-romantic scenes are the worst though, they are hollow and life-less. I miss the witty banter from Awakening.

PretentiousCat

PretentiousCat
  • Members
  • 152 posts
ANOTHER WAVE

Me: Okay, pause the game, use my rogue to move behind that ene...okay he teleported.
Me: Alright use backstab.
Enemy: RARGH, EXPLODES INTO A MILLION CHUNKS REACHING FROM HERE TO FERELDEN.
Me: Covered in 20 gallons of blood, blinding me for 3 to 5 rounds.

Honestly, story is fine.
Dialogue could be better (more than 2-5 words on the wheel, so I -know- what's to be said).
Less of "I'm hungry"
More isometric view (top view)
More customization.
Less re-use of dungeons with different closed doors.
More sword shield warrior damage/animations.
Actually the sword and shield warrior seems unloved if played by Hawke, simply do to the lack of animations. Shield slam looks great, as are the abilities, but the auto-stab attack animation seems, kind of lacking.

OH we need cats. Lots of cats. Maybe it'd keep Anders, uhm...happy.

Edited by PretentiousCat, 15 March 2011 - 07:04 PM.

Cutlass Jack

Cutlass Jack
  • Members
  • 8,083 posts
Strange. I've never had trouble with Rogue based enemies. But I play a mostly rogue party, so we give back worse than we get.

And Origins felt more linear to me. I'm wandering around pretty freely in Kirkwall. Because of the whole framed narrative thingie, it doesn't seem to matter much which order I do things, or if I take my time getting to the main plot parts.

Agelico

Agelico
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2
I'd post something smart here, but... I CAN'T LAUNCH IT to critisize anything.
And it looks like the most outrageous thing in this game for me XD

HawXV2

HawXV2
  • Members
  • 661 posts

Rockpopple wrote...

I'd add some of the rogue animations. Not all! In fact, keep most of the battle animation, especially for the mages. I love how they have swagger now. But enemies shouldn't explode from being stabbed in the back.

Complaint added.

Nameless one7

Nameless one7
  • Members
  • 1,816 posts
I'd like to see more affects from origins on dragon age 2.

Hiei987

Hiei987
  • Members
  • 41 posts
Those are problems summed up well. The only thing I disagree with are the rogue elites. While they can be extremely annoying, I think they add a great challenege to when you have to face them. You can still prevent their backstab/assassanation out of stealth by using aoe abilities.

HawXV2

HawXV2
  • Members
  • 661 posts

Ryenke wrote...

The inventory.

The junk-idea is not really fun (without descriptions or pretty pictures - why not just spare me the grinding back and forth to merchants and have the monsters drop me the money directly!)   I miss descriptions and history on non-junk items too!  I miss companion equiping!

ALSO, to paraphrase someone else on the general board - DA2 feels less like a role playing game and more like a choose your own adventure movie - I suppose that is what Bioware was going for, but disapointing for me. 

Junk complaint added, companion armor is a hot topic, I have to get more views.

Chadthesad

Chadthesad
  • Members
  • 110 posts

HawXV2 wrote...
Re-used maps

I agree it was a poor choice.

Enemy encounters

Why do they randomly appear? In Origins, you guys had it perfectly. Behind a door they would come streaming, or when you turn the corner, bam! Darkspawn! Now, they just...apear. Literally. I've defeated many a wave quickly, just to see a warrior phase through like Star Trek! Very immersion breaking.

It was an attempt to show how reinforcements would appear. It wasn't done great, but the concept is in the correct direction.

Rogue-type enemies

They're so overpowered! They'll disappear and one shot my healer, or if they don't, they'll half my tank's health! And there seems to be no CD. Tsk Tsk!

They can do a lot especially on Nightmare mode. I found mages to be more difficult. If threat was generated and the proper skills were choosen for warriors, Rogues mobs weren't able to do much. Yes, though rogue mobs are challenging.

ReinaHW

ReinaHW
  • Members
  • 353 posts
Constructive critism, hmm, well the one I've been saying since last week - The tiny text is a pain for those, like me, who are limited to an SDTV. The text is very hard to read and that isn't a good thing in a game with a fair amount of text.

The feeling while playing that the game needed more development time, at times I've come across points where the game needs a lot of refinement. One example was during a boss fight last night, I won't go into detail due the potential of spoilers, but a couple of times during the fight the game seem to sputter and struggle to keep going, it was quite the fight and I almost got slaughtered due to the game having hiccups.
Won though, what a battle.

The reuse of many of the games enviroments comes across as pretty poor, I've joked on it a couple of times while playing. One area in particular in Darktown/Lowtown was used about eight times in one hour of my playing for eight different quests, the only differences being different starting places, different exit points and lootables placed in different locations.
"Oh look, I was just here about five minutes ago!"

Being largely limited to Kirkwall becomes tiring very quickly, I understand it's the whole 'Champion Of Kirkwall' thing, but surely there must be other settlements in the region to go to as well.

Edited by ReinaHW, 15 March 2011 - 07:07 PM.

Demonicom

Demonicom
  • Members
  • 41 posts

HawXV2 wrote...

Ok, now that we who own the game have a forum to post in, let's do BioWare a favor and post what is really wrong with a great game without being trolled.

I agree with this.  Some re-using is fine, all games do that, but it does break the immersion to re-use so many areas in DA: 2
Re-used maps

Eh, I kinda/sorta agree, but it really isn't THAT terrible.  Tacky yes, game-breaking, no.  I do agree that Origins did it better.
Enemy encounters

I am playing a Rogue right now, so I can appreciate the power.  It does get annoying when an assassin disappears and you have to wait *at a complete stand still* for him/her to reappear to stab you.  Though again, not really game-breaking.
Rogue-type enemies

I have not found this to be true in my opinion.  It felt to me that I was working my way up the Kirkwall ladder and that each mission I was doing (apart from the retreive tasks) were letting me get closer to the goal.
Linearernessed...uh...Linearreerrr...It feels too one-track minded

Don't get me wrong, the style of story telling was very good, and the story itself was superior to Origins in my opinion, but it just felt...pushed along. In Origins, it felt like you could do anything at anytime. In this one, I just felt like I had to everything in this order. 

I too felt that by having so many recycled areas it did cut down on the epic feel of traveling and seeing new places. 
The feel

It didn't feel as big as Origins, which is sort of a give-in. It's only based in Kirikwall, which is a setting that looks simply stunning, but it just has to have more places to go to. It loses it's epic feeling when you stay in one place. Expand upon it!

I'm sure there are other gripes from other people. If you post them, I'll add them here, as I'm sure these aren't the only problems people don't like. But most people need to agree with it, as what you may find fault with, many others may like.

Ok, constructively complain away, guys.

My responses in Blue.

I would also add that the lack of auto-attack on consoles was a bad idea, intended or not.  I would also add that the art rework of the Darkspawn and the elves are...not done well.  But that is my opinion.
Other than that I find that I am constantly being sucked into the story, even when I only intend to play for an hour.  That hour gets turned into 4, and my wife then gets to yell at me, which then makes me sad.  Eingefügtes Bild

Rockpopple

Rockpopple
  • Members
  • 3,098 posts
I actually liked the new inventory system. Non-human mobs shouldn't drop cash. DOES NOT COMPUTE! But random loot and crap you can sell for coin? Makes sense to me.

ZacOfTheZombies

ZacOfTheZombies
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Nameless one7 wrote...

I'd like to see more affects from origins on dragon age 2.

This, a hundred times this! Not to mention that the consistency. In my Origins play through I killed Zeveren, then his magical Evil Twin Brother appears in DA2. What the heck Bioware?

Wygrath

Wygrath
  • Members
  • 297 posts
 I agree with you, with the exception of the story. I thought that the way Origins was set up detracted from the overall flow of the narrative. The begining was solid, then end was strong, but because of the nature of the way the game was set up, the middle or largest part of the game felt really dry and unconnected.

I haven't finished Dragon Age 2 yet, but the story seems to be crescendoing into a climax. This is much more enjoyable to me.

On second thought, I also don't think the way the enemies spawn in is that big of a deal. I don't feel very strongly about it, one way or another, but I do enjoy Dragon Age 2's combat a whole lot more than the Origins.

veryalien

veryalien
  • Members
  • 229 posts
Please add companion relationships. I posted about this elsewhere but haven't seen any feedback from other players, yet.

I personally feel the rivalry and friendship system is a step forward but its horribly implemented. I get the strangest +5 friendship and +5 rivalry all the time. Wouldn't it make sense to have a friendship log which would chronologically show me why someone likes or dislikes me?

Thanks.

Chadthesad

Chadthesad
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Ryenke wrote...

The inventory.

You may have a point with money replacing junk, but they did make it so stackables didn't add to your bags maximum capacity. Wasn't the case in Origins. Unqiue descriptions and history were only removed on some items. Yes, companion equipment was different, won't say it was wrong. I think they were trying to show that each of your companions was an indiviual and you weren't necessarily in command of their choice of dress. You could include runes and make their armor better. It was simplified. 

Edited by Chadthesad, 15 March 2011 - 07:11 PM.

PretentiousCat

PretentiousCat
  • Members
  • 152 posts
I'd actually really like to see more cross tree synergy. Like some abilities buffing/adding effects to other trees, like sword and shield lending effects to defender or war monger.

I find myself using my inventory like older crpgs, holding onto a lot of stuff when only Hawke can use it. I'd really like an option at a blacksmith to 'customize' the armor for a companion, not changing their appearance, just letting them wear it. That would be pretty good.

NRO TYN

NRO TYN
  • Members
  • 491 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2
HOPEFULY Da3 would be a combine version of DA:O and DA2 and be more kickass

But back on track yes the i think the real problem is that they (Bioware) decided to change course 6 month down the line, and they tried to make this game more flashy to noninterested people.That in MY OPINION was their big mistake.

Edited by II That Burn In Ya Ass II, 15 March 2011 - 07:17 PM.