Photo

Dead Characters Cameo-ing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
225 replies to this topic

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
Why did Bioware decide to not include character deaths in the import data? Why do Leliana, Zevran, and Alistair all ressurrect themselves? Would this have been excusable in Mass Effect 2? For Kaiden/Ashley to show up with no explanation?

ANKERS666

ANKERS666
  • Members
  • 38 posts
depending on your choices, in your import files, characters do or dont die, when does leliana die, your import must be faulty, i killed zevran on one import and not on another.

errant_knight

errant_knight
  • Members
  • 8,256 posts
As far as I know, Alistair doesn't appear unless he lived. Leliana is probably the same thing as Oghren in Awakening--she wasn't dead, but just unconcious. Zevran is more problematic, I agree, since that was a cutscene, but I suspect he isn't supposed to show if you killed him. The imports are a bit bugged.

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
All I know is that for me, personally, I killed Zevran and he showed up in DA2 like nothing happened. I have had friends tell me that they killed Alistair or Leliana and they both appeared in DA2 for them as well.

Is this bugged? Retcon? Bioware is just being lazy?

sevalaricgirl

sevalaricgirl
  • Members
  • 903 posts
My import worked perfectly except for Alistair calling the warden an old ball and chain, lol. I'm sure she would appreciate that, not. He says, who cares if she killed an arch demon, so it worked fine.  I was also surprise that my awakening import worked when I thought I only saved through the end of origins.  Alistair knew Anders which happens in the beginning of Awakening.

Edited by sevalaricgirl, 16 March 2011 - 05:15 PM.

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
^But did you kill any of the characters? I've heard this happens if your Warden died as well

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,437 posts

Cajeb wrote...
Why did Bioware decide to not include character deaths in the import data? Why do Leliana, Zevran, and Alistair all ressurrect themselves?

Zevran does not. Neither does Alistair or Nathaniel.

If we wish to bring someone back to life, it's because we wanted to.

SSJShancus

SSJShancus
  • Members
  • 18 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Cajeb wrote...
Why did Bioware decide to not include character deaths in the import data? Why do Leliana, Zevran, and Alistair all ressurrect themselves?

/thread

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
Well I killed Zevran in DA:O, imported, and he appeared during a Murder of Crows.

Are you telling me it is a glitch?

David Gaider

David Gaider
  • BioWare Employees
  • 4,437 posts

Cajeb wrote...
Well I killed Zevran in DA:O, imported, and he appeared during a Murder of Crows.

If Zevran died in DAO, you shouldn't be getting the Murder of Crows quest at all.

RazorrX

RazorrX
  • Members
  • 1,133 posts
there is a 'quasi' cannon version. I wish they would tell us what it is, but for sure there are certain things that absolutely happened.

1) Leliana is ALWAYS alive
2) Anders is ALWAYS alive
3) Justice is ALWAYS alive (long enough to bond with Anders)

I think the OGB is NOT cannon as David has stated over and over and over and over that it is not. (which makes me happy)

Edited by RazorrX, 16 March 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
Perhaps the flag is for the later death? I killed him right when he wanted to join so he was never even in my DA:O party. I'm not sure if he can die later than that. I know I'm not the only one that's had this happen to them

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
It's comforting at least that it wasn't an intended retcon. Thought you guys just threw all the character deaths out the window

TurboTwistedFire

TurboTwistedFire
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Cajeb wrote...

Is it possible that your saves me have gotten mixed up? Maybe from reloading to see what other options you can choose from? That happened to me when I imported a save. I had forgotten that I had reloaded the whole Morrigan ritual right after installing a mod that fixed Alistair's dialogue. I just wanted to test it and I did the Archdemon fight again. When I had installed DA 2, it was saying that Alistair killed himself when I remembered that he didn't. I checked the saves in Origins and, sure enough, I had forgotten to delete the latest auto save after the coronation. After doing so, I reloaded DA 2 and everyone acted as they should.

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
I only have one complete save for DA:O. I never got Zevran in my party because my Dwarven Noble is paranoid about betrayal so he killed the smooth-talking assassin. So...no that isn't possible

Uhh.. Jonah

Uhh.. Jonah
  • Members
  • 1,436 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Cajeb wrote...

Then why have the option of killing Leliana? 

Parahexavoctal

Parahexavoctal
  • Members
  • 81 posts

David Gaider wrote...

Cajeb wrote...

If Zevran died in DAO, you shouldn't be getting the Murder of Crows quest at all.

That would explain why I can't find that quest no matter what I do.

Isn't that quest the only source of Merrill's second gift by the way? If it is, that would be a really annoying consequence of my import:crying:

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
Naw I think you can get two sylvanwood rings...unless those are the first gift

Parahexavoctal

Parahexavoctal
  • Members
  • 81 posts
Going to have to google around for the source of the other one then, I only recall obtaining the Halla carving for her. Thanks for the info though:)

Edited by Parahexavoctal, 16 March 2011 - 06:08 PM.

Dave of Canada

Dave of Canada
  • Members
  • 17,365 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Parahexavoctal wrote...

Going to have to google around for the source of the other one then, I only recall obtaining the Halla carving for her. Thanks for the info though:)

Kill the bandits outside the Dalish camp, the ring is on the thief leader.

Icy Magebane

Icy Magebane
  • Members
  • 3,419 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Uhh.. Jonah wrote...

David Gaider wrote...

Cajeb wrote...

Then why have the option of killing Leliana? 

Exactly.  I can overlook this, but you should know that all this handwaving and retconning is very annoying.  Also, I don't like this attitude that since it's your story, you can just do whatever you want.  That may be true, but if that's how you feel, don't trick us by making us think we have choices.  If you realized later on that you guys couldn't take all those variables into account, then own up to it.  I can understand being limited in time and resources far more than the idea that "We decided, so get over it."

This is why I have no real interest in anything that happens in the DA storyline anymore... I really don't care what happens because at any point, those "choices" will just end up negated for no apparent reason!  But hey, it's fine.  All I'm saying is that it would have been better to not get our hopes up that you were actually willing and/or able to make these kinds of alternate realities possible.

Edit:  Let me just add that this would be even less acceptable in the ME series.  If they just decided to bring back whoever they wanted to, regardless of Virmire and the Suicide Mission, that would be ridiculous!  Thankfully, there's only one game left and that story is over.  I hope the ME team doesn't pull this kind of stunt, but I'm not going to rule it out... 

Edited by Icy Magebane, 16 March 2011 - 06:24 PM.

likeorasgod

likeorasgod
  • Members
  • 371 posts
You need to watch which save you import too. I accidently imported an early save and not the ending one I wanted on my first playthrough (well partial causwe I made so many mistakes I just started over with my mage play through.)

Cajeb

Cajeb
  • Members
  • 151 posts
I already said I imported the right save...

Uhh.. Jonah

Uhh.. Jonah
  • Members
  • 1,436 posts
Yea... Now I feel like whatever I do in this game won't matter at all in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw my dead sibling in the next game.

KAAurious

KAAurious
  • Members
  • 129 posts
Clearly Bioware wasn't expecting you to go through DA with just a team of warriors. Or perhaps a playthrough where you tried to screw over as much **** as possible. They thought, "Well, we could design a bunch of responses for these sadistic bastards, but let's not end up writing ourselves into a wall!"