Photo

Anyone seen the Isabella hair/skin mod?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts
 I can't really think of anything good to say about this mod, apparently people couldn't stand the skin colour of Isabella so much they made a mod to make her pale white with a variety of different hair colours. 

Mods like these really make me lose faith in humanity...

AjuntaPall316

AjuntaPall316
  • Members
  • 39 posts
... and? If she was fat there would be a mod to make her skinny. Does that mean they are prejudice against obese people? Some people yes, to others it's just personal taste. And even if they do discriminate, most people do to one degree or another whether they realize it or not. Over the last few years you notice a lot of discrimination that nobody says anything about. For instance an African American can make unlimited remarks against "white people" with nobody saying a word. How many people do you see harassing people who smoke on a daily basis? You can't throw a rock without hitting someone who discriminates against someone. People suck... that's just how it is. Especially the ones who think they don't. And kids... personally I don't like kids.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

AjuntaPall316 wrote...

... and? If she was fat there would be a mod to make her skinny. Does that mean they are prejudice against obese people? Some people yes, to others it's just personal taste. And even if they do discriminate, most people do to one degree or another whether they realize it or not. Over the last few years you notice a lot of discrimination that nobody says anything about. For instance an African American can make unlimited remarks against "white people" with nobody saying a word. How many people do you see harassing people who smoke on a daily basis? You can't throw a rock without hitting someone who discriminates against someone. People suck... that's just how it is. Especially the ones who think they don't. And kids... personally I don't like kids.

It's a deeper issue and more serious issue than body types, not accepting someone because of the colour of their skin is disgraceful. I see a lot of people say it is due to personal taste and then they go on to say I would never have a relationship with a black person, thats not a preference thats discrimination.. 

On your other point I understand that there are some that hide behind the shield of political correctness, but for most this is an important part of society where you are protecting a group of people that faced injustice and prejudice in the past and still face prejudice. It's easier to speak from a point of view where you are in the majority, go to another country and where you are a racial minority and feel what it is like to expereince prejudice based on the way you look. 

Edited by CRISIS1717, 21 March 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Sylvan05

Sylvan05
  • Members
  • 9 posts
I think you're reading way too much into it. Stop looking for injustices where they may not exist.

For years, people have created mods for characters to look differently. Even now, you can get face replacements for all the characters, costume replacements, hair style/color changes, body type changes, etc.

Think of it as the paper doll concept. We like to dress up our characters and change the way they look. When we get bored, we change them again.

There's no discrimination. If anything, the modders are embracing change.

AjuntaPall316

AjuntaPall316
  • Members
  • 39 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

It's a deeper issue and more serious issue than body types, not accepting someone because of the colour of their skin is disgraceful.

It's not a deeper issue though... skin color is more important than religion, gender, sexual orientation, obesety, smokers?  No... not so much.  You might think so based on a personal opinion, but when it comes down to it "race" is just another label like any other group of discrimination.  If you happen to make a comment to a overweight person it is no different then if a white person says they would never date a black person.  Discrimination... is discrimination, no matter the label attached to it.  Jewish people have been arguably just as discriminated against as African Americans.  "Isabella", I believe, is a hebrew name, would you be just as upset if someone made a mod that changed her name?  I doubt it. Although it implies the same level of discrimination that you claim.

The world has not fallen apart since the creation of this mod... it's been broken for a long time.  This isn't news.  To answer your initial comment... "lose faith in humanity".  All I can say is... about time.  It's not going to change.  It's "human nature".

As it pertains to this mod:  There is nothing wrong with it... download it and enjoy it if you wish.  There is no racism here unless you perceive it to be.

Edited by AjuntaPall316, 21 March 2011 - 12:36 PM.

MKDAWUSS

MKDAWUSS
  • Members
  • 3,323 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

I can't really think of anything good to say about this mod, apparently people couldn't stand the skin colour of Isabella so much they made a mod to make her pale white with a variety of different hair colours. 

Well, she was a redhead in DAO, so it might be a continuity thing for some of them.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Sylvan05 wrote...

I think you're reading way too much into it. Stop looking for injustices where they may not exist.

For years, people have created mods for characters to look differently. Even now, you can get face replacements for all the characters, costume replacements, hair style/color changes, body type changes, etc.

Think of it as the paper doll concept. We like to dress up our characters and change the way they look. When we get bored, we change them again.

There's no discrimination. If anything, the modders are embracing change.

I have seen all of those mods, except one to change the skin colour of a character in DAO as the characters were white or light tan. 

Along comes Isabella redesigned and we get our first Michael Jackson mod. 

Drax_Lyonsbane

Drax_Lyonsbane
  • Members
  • 152 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

I can't really think of anything good
to say about this mod, apparently people couldn't stand the skin colour
of Isabella so much they made a mod to make her pale white with a
variety of different hair colours. 

What about the mod that puts Bethany's face on her,  does shake your faith in humanity further?

Honestly, you seem to actively look for reasons to be offended and it annoys the hell out of the rest of us.

Some times a cigar is just a cigar.
The fact is, it is always just a cigar unless one chooses to see a phalic symbol.

It's a deeper issue and more serious issue than body types, not accepting someone because of the colour of their skin is disgraceful. I see a lot of people say it is due to personal taste and then they go on to say I would never have a relationship with a black person, thats not a preference thats discrimination..

So the author of the mod said that or are you simply assigning guilt to most everyone.
So everyone who does not date outside of their race is practicing discrimination? Really? What about you?
That is not discrimination. At best it is a personal preference and at worse bigotry, you should learn the difference in those things.

On your other point I understand that there are some that hide behind the shield of political correctness, but for most this is an important part of society where you are protecting a group of people that faced injustice and prejudice in the past and still face prejudice. It's easier to speak from a point of view where you are in the majority, go to another country and where you are a racial minority and feel what it is like to expereince prejudice based on the way you look. 

How about you stop bring your political views on the forums. They don't belong here.
If you don't like the game then complain in the proper forum, or simply stop playing and leave everyone else to be the terrible, unjust dregs that we are.

Edited by Drax_Lyonsbane, 21 March 2011 - 01:12 PM.

Thychiz

Thychiz
  • Members
  • 99 posts
She's black.... ? Heak I thought she was just tanned :/

Beknatok

Beknatok
  • Members
  • 77 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

Really?

If you're so dissatisfied with the work of others, why don't you make your own instead of trolling?

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Beknatok wrote...

CRISIS1717 wrote...

Really?

If you're so dissatisfied with the work of others, why don't you make your own instead of trolling?

I don't need to make one, I have no problem with her skin colour.

mesmerizedish

mesmerizedish
  • Members
  • 7,699 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Thychiz wrote...

She's black.... ? Heak I thought she was just tanned :/

She's sort of blackish/hispanicish/mediterraneanish. She's an amalgam.

Beknatok wrote...

Really?

While I do mostly disagree with the OP, (s)he's much less guilty of trolling than you. Either you didn't read the post, or you're choosing to respond to something that can't be found in it. Laziness or logical fallacy, either way.

syllogi

syllogi
  • Members
  • 6,246 posts
I personally find it somewhat suspect, but you have to keep this sort of thing in perspective. If someone in the real world told me, "I love your personality, but your skin color is all wrong"...I would be upset. But this is a video game, and objectifying the characters this way isn't a big deal. It's not something I would ever do, but I also would not use most of the head morphs on the Nexus for DA:O or DA2 party members.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

TeenZombie wrote...

I personally find it somewhat suspect, but you have to keep this sort of thing in perspective. If someone in the real world told me, "I love your personality, but your skin color is all wrong"...I would be upset. But this is a video game, and objectifying the characters this way isn't a big deal. It's not something I would ever do, but I also would not use most of the head morphs on the Nexus for DA:O or DA2 party members.

Of course if we keep it in perspective this is just a game it's just the attitudes and perceptions which lead to this mod which I find unacceptable: in order to make their Isabella character "perfect" they needed a mod to make her pale white. 

I agree with what you say though about head morphs thats not how the character is so I wouldn't change them. 

mesmerizedish

mesmerizedish
  • Members
  • 7,699 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

Of course if we keep it in perspective this is just a game it's just the attitudes and perceptions which lead to this mod which I find unacceptable: in order to make their Isabella character "perfect" they needed a mod to make her pale white. 

I agree with what you say though about head morphs thats not how the character is so I wouldn't change them.

So, I (sort of) agree with you in principle... but at the same time, I find it difficult to care. What other people do isn't affecting my game. I can not use a mod, and I'd never feel its effects. There are many many more radical examples of lingering semi-racism than a mod that changes a video game character's skin color.

I should also add that (if it's the mod that makes Isabela more "celtic"), then I think it's not "Isabela would look better with lighter skin," but "I want a character to be cool and Celtic, let's make Isabela a redhead." If it's the mod that makes her pale and blonde, then that's just something I scoff at. But, I don't like blondes*.

*Does this ruin your faith in humanity too? That, if Isabela had been pale and blonde to begin with, I might use a mod to make her darker?

Guest_elektrego_*

Guest_elektrego_*
  • Guests
hello paranoia...
omg i installed that mod! Now my colored friends won't talk to me anymore,
just because i have a pale skin fetish.

foxunit

foxunit
  • Members
  • 82 posts
What do you care about a characters skin? Seriously you are creating an issue where none is existant, if people want a character to look different then they can do that, since it is their game.
Of course you have the right to have an opinion, but what other people do with their games is not your business. You are able to choose either to use it or not, right? So what do you care? It is not a matter of "race" since the "people" we are talking about arent REAL people. If the entire cast of DAII would be black I couldnt care less.

You dont like it, you dont use it, simple as that.

Edited by foxunit, 21 March 2011 - 03:40 PM.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

foxunit wrote...

What do you care about a characters skin? Seriously you are creating an issue where none is existant, if people want a character to look different then they can do that, since it is their game.
Of course you have the right to have an opinion, but what other people do with their games is not your business. You are able to choose either to use it or not, right? So what do you care? It is not a matter of "race" since the "people" we are talking about arent REAL people. If the entire cast of DAII would be black I couldnt care less.

You dont like it, you dont use it, simple as that.

Certainly people are free to mod the game however they want to but it doesn't make some mods any less morally reprehensible and it doesn't mean they aren't a legitimate topic of discussion. 

As I said before these are just characters, but its the attitudes and opinions which are the problem here. Have you heard of the Tales of Earthsea? Sparhawk is not white but to Ursula Le Guins annoyance the publisher came back with a white Sparhawk cover for the book. Sparhawk is just a character but the problem is peoples perception of his racial identity.

You may not care less if the entire DA2 cast was black but others would and I guarantee those people would bring out mods to make them all white to make their "perfect" game. 

Sad but true. 

Edited by CRISIS1717, 21 March 2011 - 04:21 PM.

AxellSlade

AxellSlade
  • Members
  • 57 posts
Don't like it, don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it nor like it. Now that's settled, move along, nothing to see here.

Brimleydower

Brimleydower
  • Members
  • 118 posts
This is ludicrous. There's enough racism in the world without people trying to brand things that aren't as such. People have different tastes; get over it.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Brimleydower wrote...

This is ludicrous. There's enough racism in the world without people trying to brand things that aren't as such. People have different tastes; get over it.

It runs a bit deeper than that, for gamers to have a perfect game the characters must be white? people can certainly have different tastes but thinking "you know what would make this game better? if Isabella was white" seems more like discriminatory behaviour to me. 

Brimleydower

Brimleydower
  • Members
  • 118 posts
It only runs as deep as you want it to, which is apparently an abyss. Stop making mountains out of molehills.

HyperLimited

HyperLimited
  • Members
  • 615 posts
I have no problem with how Isabela looks in the game. For some reason I thought Isabela looked worse with lighter skin and different hair.
:lol:

Khemdog

Khemdog
  • Members
  • 42 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

It runs a bit deeper than that, for gamers to have a perfect game the characters must be white?

You are the only person saying so. You also keep saying there is some deep underlying meaning/problem behind using those mods, yet your reasoning is shallow at best. You said that people can have different tastes so whats wrong with preferring Isabela with a lighter skin or different hair color? I happened to change Isabela's hair so now, according to your logic, I'm discriminatory?

CRISIS1717 wrote...

...but thinking "you know what
would make this game better? if Isabella was white" seems more like
discriminatory behaviour to me. 

Again, that is another (false) assumption you have assigned to the authors of said mods.

Drax_Lyonsbane wrote...

How about you stop bring your political views on the forums. They don't belong here.
If
you don't like the game then complain in the proper forum, or simply
stop playing and leave everyone else to be the terrible, unjust dregs
that we are.

QFT

Edit: Fixed quotes

Edited by Khemdog, 21 March 2011 - 05:06 PM.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Khemdog wrote...

CRISIS1717 wrote...

It runs a bit deeper than that, for gamers to have a perfect game the characters must be white?

You are the only person saying so. You also keep saying there is some deep underlying meaning/problem behind using those mods, yet your reasoning is shallow at best. You said that people can have different tastes so whats wrong with preferring Isabela with a lighter skin or different hair color? I happened to change Isabela's hair so now, according to your logic, I'm discriminatory?

CRISIS1717 wrote...

...but thinking "you know what
would make this game better? if Isabella was white" seems more like
discriminatory behaviour to me. 

Again, that is another (false) assumption you have assigned to the authors of said mods.

Drax_Lyonsbane wrote...

If
you don't like the game then complain in the proper forum, or simply
stop playing and leave everyone else to be the terrible, unjust dregs
that we are.

QFT

Edit: Fixed quotes

Sorry this is a forum for dicussion, it seems you are the one that has a problem with the adult conversation being broached here, if I am entitled not to use the mod because I don't like it you are entitled not to comment if you do not like the topic.