Photo

What went wrong in Dragon Age from Rock Paper Shotgun

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
454 replies to this topic

Vast_Girth

Vast_Girth
  • Members
  • 37 posts
 http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/31/analysis-dragon-age-ii/#more-55711

Some very exstensive analysis....

Edited by Vast_Girth, 31 March 2011 - 07:41 PM.

neppakyo

neppakyo
  • Members
  • 3,074 posts
It is. And saying it was a mistake to attach the "II" to the end, when its akin to DA: Awakenings. Agree with that!

MorrigansLove

MorrigansLove
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts
Agreed. Bioware should read this.

tzedan

tzedan
  • Members
  • 4 posts
DA2 = Money Grab. I hope ME3 is not like this.

defpotec22

defpotec22
  • Members
  • 28 posts
While I don't agree with his view on the dialogue wheel or Aveline, I'd say 90% of this article is spot on.

Khayness

Khayness
  • Members
  • 6,696 posts
Well, if they go with the doomed hometown, then people will cry "BioWare cliché!", despite seeing it's an effective plot device, which indeed I missed.

But since the marketing kept yelling, "It's awesome! You start it and you get to fight immediately! It's cool I swear!" I had prepared for that a long time ago.

RPGs aren't rollercoaster rides all the way, the slow pacing immersive narrative is something I really miss in this game. It's all about combat, whatever you do.

Edit: Jesus, I've nearly choked at the femHawke romance part.

Edited by Khayness, 31 March 2011 - 08:22 PM.

San Diego Thief

San Diego Thief
  • Members
  • 63 posts
awesome review

Kimberly Shaw

Kimberly Shaw
  • Members
  • 515 posts

The trouble is, each time the game jumps forward three years, any sense of having connected to anything that’s going on is torn from you. Suddenly you’re not who you were before, with the seemingly interesting bits happening while we were off watching an animated cutscene. Oh, I’ve got my own place now? I’m rich now? Then how come I have the same amount of gold as before, the same equipment, and so on?

I like this review. A lot. Read it, and learn from it, Bioware.

Dragoonlordz

Dragoonlordz
  • Members
  • 9,752 posts
Spot on imho. It's just how I felt when playing it. Only I have more negative issues with it technical and specific ones which I have mentioned before. For everything good it did, it took 6 steps backwards enjoyment wise.

Maverick827

Maverick827
  • Members
  • 2,495 posts
He mentions a few good points, but most of his issues with the story still boil down to "I didn't like it" rather than "this was empirically wrong."

Kimberly Shaw

Kimberly Shaw
  • Members
  • 515 posts
@Maverick827, you really think his issues with the story boil down to "I didn't like it". Did you read this part?:

The game then betrayed me in two extraordinary ways. Firstly the biggest plot point in the game – one that changed everything that I’d been working for – happened in a cutscene, caused by one of my companions, and would have happened no matter what actions I’d taken before. It was such a strikingly bad decision, yet again making me feel irrelevant to the action. Sure, it’s great that an NPC can heavily impact the world. But surely I should get to be involved on some level?

And then the fudged ending forcing me to go down the same path whichever major choices I’d made, left me feeling cold. That it ends on a mother-sodding cliffhanger felt par for the course of the frenzy of middle fingers being stuck up at me, and when it didn’t bother to tell me what happened next to any of my companions, I realised I didn’t care.

I'd say he says that is empirically wrong.

MorrigansLove

MorrigansLove
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts
The people who give this game a 9 or 10 are obviously easily entertained.

Horus Blackheart

Horus Blackheart
  • Members
  • 383 posts
I just read the story and as much as it pains me to say it, i agree with prity much everything in it. I have to say that avalene as a call center switchbord option was so full of win and sadly true.

Eldragon

Eldragon
  • Members
  • 82 posts
I think RPS nailed it, and he barely touched on the game play mechanics issues (reusing areas, waves of enemies, etc).

This is the article I shall send to people who ask my thoughts about DA2.

Big_Chief

Big_Chief
  • Members
  • 433 posts
Honestly, even though I loved DA2 as a whole, that article brought up a lot of really good points that I think merit attention.

neppakyo

neppakyo
  • Members
  • 3,074 posts

Horus Blackheart wrote...

I just read the story and as much as it pains me to say it, i agree with prity much everything in it. I have to say that avalene as a call center switchbord option was so full of win and sadly true.

Me too. Shared on Facebook as well.

Pyrate_d

Pyrate_d
  • Members
  • 360 posts
Excellent article.

thrashmental

thrashmental
  • Members
  • 76 posts
Good review, read it bioware

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,805 posts
Excellent article by John Walker.

Sums it up rather nicely that one of the biggest problems is the "II" at the end of the title when its feels more like a side story than anything.

rak72

rak72
  • Members
  • 2,156 posts
That review sums up my feelings very well

Mr.Dioneo

Mr.Dioneo
  • Members
  • 41 posts
He didn't really touch on the recycled locations, or the game breaking bugs (well, he mentions being confused by Merrill's story, which is close). The only thing I didn't really agree with is the companions being boring. I liked them fine enough.

Before DA2 I didn't think it could be possible to hate and yet enjoy a game at the same time.

Lord Gremlin

Lord Gremlin
  • Members
  • 2,927 posts
Very interesting. I hope devs will read this.

Pyrate_d

Pyrate_d
  • Members
  • 360 posts
It's funny that DA2 was originally going to be DA: Exodus. I think that Bioware was aware at some level that this isn't a sequel to DAO in any sane sense.

gotthammer

gotthammer
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
That was a great read, thanks for the link! I'm sharing it and agreed on all points. :D

Lestatman

Lestatman
  • Members
  • 526 posts
An intelligent review which I agree with especially regarding the companions. Starting think of playing solo since Beth disappears for a long time.