Photo

Black Human Noble

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
537 replies to this topic

Pseudo310

Pseudo310
  • Members
  • 45 posts
Hey Bioware, I have some quick feedback for you. I made a black human noble character. His whole family was white. The whole kingdom was white. That is just silly. Could you do some palette-swapping or something to make the characters who are only in the game's intro consistent with your skin tone? I realize the "no black people in Ferelden" conversation has already been done, but unless there is a reveal that my character was adopted it's jarring and dumb for my family to be the whitest white people. It was done in Fallout 3 and I really appreciated it then. It's a nice acknowledgment that not everyone playing these games is white.

Thanks.

Edited by Pseudo310, 18 November 2009 - 04:01 PM.

Haasth

Haasth
  • Members
  • 4,412 posts
Wow. Haven't even thought of that. That seems silly indeed.

lawsie100

lawsie100
  • Members
  • 215 posts
you forgot 'his mother was a tramp'

Pseudo310

Pseudo310
  • Members
  • 45 posts

lawsie100 wrote...

you forgot 'his mother was a tramp'

Ah, yes. The Qunari milkman.

MrGOH

MrGOH
  • Members
  • 1,096 posts
Your noble wasn't black, just extremely well-tanned.

Seriously, though, I think it would have been nice to have the PC's family share skin tone/hair color to some degree with the PC. I also understand the devs logic as to why it's not included in the main campaign, but the CC's apparent inability to make any facial structures not found in medieval Europe to be unnecessarily limiting, given that modmakers may wish to place their mods in different settings.

Haasth

Haasth
  • Members
  • 4,412 posts

MrGOH wrote...

Seriously, though, I think it would have been nice to have the PC's family share skin tone/hair color to some degree with the PC. I also understand the devs logic as to why it's not included in the main campaign, but the CC's apparent inability to make any facial structures not found in medieval Europe to be unnecessarily limiting, given that modmakers may wish to place their mods in different settings.

Regarding that. I always thought the reason the City Elf's dad had grey hair was becaues they didn't want to risk making it odd that the PC would have different hair colour.

MrGOH

MrGOH
  • Members
  • 1,096 posts

Haasth wrote...

MrGOH wrote...

Regarding that. I always thought the reason the City Elf's dad had grey hair was becaues they didn't want to risk making it odd that the PC would have different hair colour.

I thought it was because he was old. ;)

I liked the dwarf noble Origin, though - the two NPC brothers look *nothing* alike, nor do they look like the king. Dwarven promiscuity ftw!

jaime1337

jaime1337
  • Members
  • 1 posts

It's a nice acknowledgment that not everyone playing these games is white.

Thats absurd.  How does playing a game as a black person acknowledge that black people play the game?  I played the game with a white elf, but I'm a brown human; there is no correlation.

I do agree that it would be nice if your parents were the same color.

Kozuka78

Kozuka78
  • Members
  • 63 posts
I mean it seems incredibly prejudiced but realistically I doubt there were many black people in 12th century england either, and since bioware seems to be going for alot of realism in this game you can understand why there arnt many people of none white origin in fereldan.

In most of these fantasy settings the countries that are based on asian and african origins are usually geographically located on the other side of the world from the players location (since the players location is pretty much always based on central europe somewhere). And since there is no method of flying, or no way of knowing in which direction to set sail, its incredibly difficult for people of these distant regions to come into contact with each other

Sten is obviously of some sort of african or persian based decent and no one in thedas even knows where the qunari came from.

Having said that, it might be possible to create a mod that alters your families skin tone, although it depends on whether each family member has their own individual reference file somewhere I would think.

Larcat

Larcat
  • Members
  • 9 posts
FWIW I am playing a black elf (Dalish) on my first play through.

Thankfully, his whole family is already dead so no immersion is broken!

-Larcat

Loc'n'lol

Loc'n'lol
  • Members
  • 3,594 posts
Well, the Chasind are black, but there is no barbarian human origin, unfortunately (would have been way more interesting than a human farmer origin for sure, especially since they seem to be the first people hit by the blight on the surface).

Anyway, if you want your human noble to be consistant with oyur origin story, your character should be white, and probly have dark hair too (cf Fergus Cousland)

Loc'n'lol

Loc'n'lol
  • Members
  • 3,594 posts

Kozuka78 wrote...

I mean it seems incredibly prejudiced but realistically I doubt there were many black people in 12th century england either.

More importantly, I'm sure that even if there were some, none of them were nobles.

Edited by _Loc_N_lol_, 18 November 2009 - 04:18 PM.

Larcat

Larcat
  • Members
  • 9 posts
OMG.

Someone call Dave Chapelle.

-Larcat

Edited by EA_Isledyr, 19 November 2009 - 03:58 PM.

Beowulf1990

Beowulf1990
  • Members
  • 53 posts
Reminds me of my noble playthrough, i looked as if I was the father....big grey beard and all.

iampotato

iampotato
  • Members
  • 44 posts
Maybe you were adopted?

xD

Wishpig

Wishpig
  • Members
  • 2,173 posts
I was adopted... part japanese and my families all white... so it happens right?

There are FAR more black skined elves, humans, and dwarfs in the game then anyone who looks asian.

Besides... it seems like your dad and mom in the origins are the Brad and Angelina of their day.

Edited by Wishpig, 18 November 2009 - 04:26 PM.

Damar Stiehl

Damar Stiehl
  • Members
  • 333 posts
If you swap your family's skin tone for a darker one, won't they just look like white people in blackface?

Just resolve to think that you were adopted, or that your grandma had hot one-night stand with a Chasind and the genes have surfaced in you...

Edited by Damar Stiehl, 18 November 2009 - 04:28 PM.

Pseudo310

Pseudo310
  • Members
  • 45 posts

jaime1337 wrote...

Thats absurd.  How does playing a game as a black person acknowledge that black people play the game?  I played the game with a white elf, but I'm a brown human; there is no correlation.

That's some nice data you got there for that correlation. You must be a scientist.

Pseudo310

Pseudo310
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Damar Stiehl wrote...

Just resolve to think that you were adopted, or that your grandma had a fling with a black guy and the genes have surfaced in you...

No.

J.O.G

J.O.G
  • Members
  • 355 posts
Genetics tell us that it is possible for white parents to have a black child, as long as somewhere in both family trees were black people. Of course even in our society it may need a paternity test to convince the father of the mother's faithfulness.

Few87

Few87
  • Members
  • 371 posts

_Loc_N_lol_ wrote...

Kozuka78 wrote...

I mean it seems incredibly prejudiced but realistically I doubt there were many black people in 12th century england either.

More importantly, I'm sure that even if there were some, none of them were nobles.

Well there would almost certainly have been less than 100 in the entire country, and those that were here would have all been in london or Bristol having arrived on trade ships and they would not be staying. Its not racist, its the truth and to have something similar in DA would have been far more realistic rather than people of every colour dancing under a rainbow.

lawsie100

lawsie100
  • Members
  • 215 posts
yeah this is earth. That is fereldan. See the difference? No? Look harder. We have many black people on this earth. They dont. Its a fantasy. Fantasy. Fan-tasy world.

Pseudo310

Pseudo310
  • Members
  • 45 posts

lawsie100 wrote...

yeah this is earth. That is fereldan. See the difference? No? Look harder. We have many black people on this earth. They dont. Its a fantasy. Fantasy. Fan-tasy world.

Yeah, I know most white people's fantasy world is one without black people in it.

But you guys get that I'm not complaining about the lack of black people in Ferelden, right? That's a non-issue. I'm saying that it's silly to make a black character who has a white family. Especially since there's no other black people in Ferelden, he or she had to come from somewhere. So I'm giving Bioware some feedback on that. Having multiple character models for the family wouldn't be the hard I bet.

JeffNichols

JeffNichols
  • Members
  • 28 posts
Few, that is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. 12th century England didn't have dragons, elves, magic, or stupid internet commenters asking for less diversity.

This is a FANTASY setting. There is no reason it needs or even SHOULD reflect medieval times or existing fantasy stereotypes-- namely, that the whiter you are, the more magical/elven/immortal you are.

Dragon Age is a truly modern game in so many ways. It's treatment of religion, sexuality, race (which could be expanded on); it would be silly to think that skin-tone would be particularly significant when there are OTHER actual races.

The noble-family skin-tone is just a minor oversight. Hopefully a mod or even a patch could fix it.

Pseudo310

Pseudo310
  • Members
  • 45 posts

JeffNichols wrote...

The noble-family skin-tone is just a minor oversight. Hopefully a mod or even a patch could fix it.

Exactly. And that would be real nice.