Photo

BioWare taking pointers from DICE on ME3 Gun Audio FX

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts
Not much, but worth to know nonetheless: http://www.g4tv.com/...help-from-dice/

Edited by Pwener2313, 26 April 2011 - 04:13 AM.

PoliteAssasin

PoliteAssasin
  • Members
  • 4,362 posts
This has been known for a while. Check out GI's ME3 page. :)

-Polite

Vez04

Vez04
  • Members
  • 4,134 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Pwener2313 wrote...

Not much, but worth to know nonetheless: http://www.g4tv.com/...help-from-dice/

Shut up and take my money! becouse its DICE :D

Edited by Vez04, 26 April 2011 - 03:43 AM.

AdmiralCheez

AdmiralCheez
  • Members
  • 12,990 posts
Teehee. Clipping shenanigans on the stock of Thane's sniper rifle.

Old news nonetheless.

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts
It is? I've been with college studies the past week and now I finally returned.

marshalleck

marshalleck
  • Members
  • 15,644 posts
If it has been online for more than half a day you can be guaranteed there's already a thread about it here

Ramirez Wolfen

Ramirez Wolfen
  • Members
  • 2,607 posts
Cool.

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts
Wait, who the hell changed the title? I didn't change it. What the hell? Can mods do that? WTF

:ph34r:There's a great many things we can do:ph34r:

Edited by javierabegazo, 26 April 2011 - 03:54 AM.

javierabegazo

javierabegazo
  • Members
  • 6,232 posts

Pwener2313 wrote...

Wait, who the hell changed the title? I didn't change it. What the hell? Can mods do that? WTF

Lol, sorry man, I just didn't want people being misled by the date of the information :P It is sort of old news.

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts
You people can change titles? Is there any limit to your powers!? lol

Rob Blake

Rob Blake
  • BioWare Employees
  • 63 posts
Just to clarify, DICE aren't working on ME3 audio. We had some chats with them about how they approach their weapon audio design and we've done some asset and knowledge sharing. They've been super helpful and are great guys, but it's inaccurate to state that they're working on the audio content in any way.

We make incredible different games and our discussions really highlighted those differences. However, it's been really interesting speaking to different studios to see how they approach combat audio and we've already done considerable work to make the game sound much better :) I'm super excited about how the end result will sound!

Thanks!

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts
I didn't write the audio thing! javiera did!

ItsFreakinJesus

ItsFreakinJesus
  • Members
  • 2,289 posts
If DICE is giving pointers in weapon audio, then this is a benefit for everyone. They have some of the best gunshots in the industry.

javierabegazo

javierabegazo
  • Members
  • 6,232 posts

Pwener2313 wrote...

Lol, there we go, last change, honest :)

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts

javierabegazo wrote...

Pwener2313 wrote...

Lol, there we go, last change, honest :)

Posted Image

88mphSlayer

88mphSlayer
  • Members
  • 2,124 posts

ItsFreakinJesus wrote...

If DICE is giving pointers in weapon audio, then this is a benefit for everyone. They have the best gunshots in the industry.

fixed

earthbornFemShep

earthbornFemShep
  • Members
  • 488 posts
too funny...

Vez04

Vez04
  • Members
  • 4,134 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Rob Blake wrote...

Just to clarify, DICE aren't working on ME3 audio. We had some chats with them about how they approach their weapon audio design and we've done some asset and knowledge sharing. They've been super helpful and are great guys, but it's inaccurate to state that they're working on the audio content in any way.

We make incredible different games and our discussions really highlighted those differences. However, it's been really interesting speaking to different studios to see how they approach combat audio and we've already done considerable work to make the game sound much better :) I'm super excited about how the end result will sound!

Thanks!

Cheers for the clarification on it rob :)

ItsFreakinJesus

ItsFreakinJesus
  • Members
  • 2,289 posts

88mphSlayer wrote...

ItsFreakinJesus wrote...

If DICE is giving pointers in weapon audio, then this is a benefit for everyone. They have the best gunshots in the industry.

fixed

I was trying to give other developers the benefit of the doubt!   Though seriously, DICE has some of the best audio period.  The Faultline trailer for Battlefield 3 is a sure enough sign.

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts
what was wrong with ME2's gun sounds? I thought they were great!

javierabegazo

javierabegazo
  • Members
  • 6,232 posts
[quote]ItsFreakinJesus wrote...

[/quote]I was trying to give other developers the benefit of the doubt!   Though seriously, DICE has some of the best audio period.  The Faultline trailer for Battlefield 3 is a sure enough sign.
[/quote]

I can't remember how many times I've watched that video. It's just beautiful, and I've watched it twice with my eyes closed, it's really incredible. Even the ambient noise is beautiful.

javierabegazo

javierabegazo
  • Members
  • 6,232 posts

Pwener2313 wrote...

what was wrong with ME2's gun sounds? I thought they were great!

I think most of them sounded good as well as different from eachother, but I felt that certain guns didn't have enough "weight" to their Audio effects as they should have had. I mean, granted our concept of how guns "should" sound based on Real Life weapons, and the explosive propellant of gunpowder, VS the mass effect drives in the guns are probably very different.

bald man in a boat

bald man in a boat
  • Members
  • 428 posts
Bioware: We've been checkin' out some of DICE's stuff... talkin' a bit about sound.
Forumites: DICE is doing audio for ME3!
Bioware: *facepalm* ffs...

Nashiktal

Nashiktal
  • Members
  • 5,565 posts
Audio really is an important part of any video game. I mean... Audio can pull me into immersion much better and deeper than any sort of visual can.

It is also MUCH more jarring to face an audio glitch (Like that cutoff glitch at the end of sentences in ME2) than say the texture popping that was present ME1.

Edited by Nashiktal, 26 April 2011 - 04:27 AM.

Pwener2313

Pwener2313
  • Members
  • 3,560 posts

Nashiktal wrote...

It is also MUCH more jarring to face an audio glitch (Like that cutoff glitch at the end of sentences in ME2) than say the texture popping that was present ME1.

Shepard (LOTSB): The one that stole my body from the Sha-

Posted Image