Photo

Ask-A-BioWare - Older game Q&A?

374 replies to this topic

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I wonder how many other folks like myself have lingering questions that either don't have answers or don't know where to find them regarding the design and writing of BioWare's older games like Baldur's Gate or Knights of the Old Republic.

I also wonder if BioWare folks would have any interest in spending some of their forum free time in answering them.

For example, one of mine would be, "Who wrote Jolee Bindo in KOTOR?"

Edited by Upsettingshorts, 14 June 2011 - 08:00 PM.

Vez04

Vez04
  • Members
  • 4,148 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
(Althrough everyone is just gonna ignore my response i'm gonna say it)

Pro-Tip. Dev's only answers the ''Good'' Questions, and those are about luck.

Edited by Vez04, 14 June 2011 - 07:18 PM.

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts

Upsettingshorts wrote...
For example, one of mine would be, "Who wrote Jolee Bindo in KOTOR?"

I believe that was Lukas Kristjanson. Anytime you see a conversation that contains a terrible, terrible pun or joke (such as "I did it all for the wookiees." "the wookiees?" "The wookiees."), it's likely to be Luke. Luke was also responsible for Komad Fortuna on Tatooine, whose conversation contained the immortal "Look, i have your fodder." line.
  • Laamaa likes this

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts
I do not need "pro tips" on how to have a discussion with BioWare folk. They're just people.

In any case, this thread is about old games whose merits they have no immediate financial motivations in defending or holding the company line for, such as DA2 or whatever.

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts

Stanley Woo wrote...

I believe that was Lukas Kristjanson. Anytime you see a conversation that contains a terrible, terrible pun or joke (such as "I did it all for the wookiees." "the wookiees?" "The wookiees."), it's likely to be Luke. Luke was also responsible for Komad Fortuna on Tatooine, whose conversation contained the immortal "Look, i have your fodder." line.

Thanks for that info, Jolee's one of my favorite characters ever - replaying KOTOR now and just recruited him, and I'm enjoying giving him crap for being old and hearing his reaction.

I mean, I could run down the whole list of KOTOR characters (or other game characters) but I don't wanna monopolize the thread with my questions.  

ipgd

ipgd
  • Members
  • 3,110 posts
Why is the great Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom not in every game?
  • Laamaa likes this

LTD

LTD
  • Members
  • 1,356 posts
On scale 9001 to 9005, how much does Bioware regret they never made a trilogy of games build around adventures of  Xzar?

Edited by LTD, 14 June 2011 - 07:48 PM.

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts

ipgd wrote...

It wouldn't make sense because not all of our games share the same universe. Sir Roderick is pretty awesome, though, almost as awesome as Lord/Arl Foreshadow.

Xewaka

Xewaka
  • Members
  • 3,739 posts
Why create amazing settings full of vibrant, new, and intriguing sentient species then deny us the chance to explore said setting as one of them?

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts

LTD wrote...

On scale 9001 to 9005, how much does Bioware regret not making a trilogy of games build around adventures of  Xzar?

I don't know that we've ever considered creating an entire game around a specific Baldur's Gate character, let alone a trilogy of games.

ipgd

ipgd
  • Members
  • 3,110 posts

Stanley Woo wrote...

ipgd wrote...

It wouldn't make sense because not all of our games share the same universe. Sir Roderick is pretty awesome, though, almost as awesome as Lord/Arl Foreshadow.

Does that really matter? Why can't he be a trans-dimensional time traveler?

hoorayforicecream

hoorayforicecream
  • Members
  • 3,419 posts
Who came up with the idea of Biff the Understudy, Noober and Neeber?

Mr.House

Mr.House
  • Members
  • 15,916 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins
Who wrote Ordo in KOTOR?

Edited by Mr.House, 14 June 2011 - 07:52 PM.

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts

Xewaka wrote...
Why create amazing settings full of vibrant, new, and intriguing sentient species then deny us the chance to explore said setting as one of them?

Scope management. Permitting play as a different species would necessitate dialogue options to reflect different attitudes and options. This does not always fit within the scope of the game we have chosen to make.

Guest_Alistairlover94_*

Guest_Alistairlover94_*
  • Guests
Will Minsc & Boo be referenced in all of your future games somehow?

Khayness

Khayness
  • Members
  • 6,754 posts

Stanley Woo wrote...

So he must have been behind the old couple in Jade Empire who only speak in double entendres.

That was creepy and hillarious at the same time.

Master Shiori

Master Shiori
  • Members
  • 3,270 posts

Alistairlover94 wrote...

Will Minsc & Boo be referenced in all of your future games somehow?

Boo was referenced in Mass Effect 2 when Shepard could buy a miniature space hamster as a pet. Also, When directing her drone in battle, Tali would yell "Go for the optics <insert drone name here>!!", which is a reference to Minsc's battlecry "Go for the eyes Boo!".

Xewaka

Xewaka
  • Members
  • 3,739 posts

Master Shiori wrote...
Boo was referenced in Mass Effect 2 when Shepard could buy a miniature space hamster as a pet. Also, When directing her drone in battle, Tali would yell "Go for the optics <insert drone name here>!!", which is a reference to Minsc's battlecry "Go for the eyes Boo!".

The drone was Chikkttita vas'paws, itself a reference to Aerie deity's pet Chikkittaka fastpaws
Spelling is probably all mangled up.

Edited by Xewaka, 14 June 2011 - 08:51 PM.

Seagloom

Seagloom
  • Members
  • 6,994 posts
Lukas Kristjanson puzzles me. I love every character I can connect to him except for Minsc. Yet Minsc is his most famous character. O.o

I wish I had a fun question to ask. I got nada.

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts
Nah Jacob is his most famous character. He's all over Youtube :)

leggywillow

leggywillow
  • Members
  • 2,829 posts

Stanley Woo wrote...

In light of this information, I would also like to know who in the office groans and tries to beat up Lukas every time he comes up with these jokes.  I would also like to know who laughs and WORSHIPS HIM AS A GOD.

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts

leggywillow wrote...
I would also like to know who in the office groans and tries to beat up Lukas every time he comes up with these jokes.

Likely the other writers with whom he works. They're all a little wonky over there.

I would also like to know who laughs and WORSHIPS HIM AS A GOD.

Everyone else. :)

Blastback

Blastback
  • Members
  • 2,723 posts
Awesome thread Shorts!

If Bioware had been able to use Vima Sunrider, how diffrent would she have been from Bastila?

Eurypterid

Eurypterid
  • English Community Moderators
  • 4,667 posts
There must be characters that aren't used/get cut from games during development. Do any of these get picked up in other titles? If so, are they radically changed from their original concept (obviously the setting will have some effect on this)? Or are they just left to wither and die...?

Stanley Woo

Stanley Woo
  • BioWare Employees
  • 8,368 posts
As I can't answer some of the story- or character-based questions on older games, I've been trying to get one of our long-time writers to visit the thread.