Photo

Steam yanks Dragon Age 2?

230 replies to this topic

Morroian

Morroian
  • Members
  • 5,709 posts
Seemingly due to Legacy violating the new Steam Terms of Service, I'm at work now hope I can still access DA2 on Steam: 

http://www.destructo...ed-207166.phtml

MeAndMySandvich

MeAndMySandvich
  • Members
  • 176 posts
That's pretty funny. Valve vs. EA is hilarious to watch.

Luke Barrett

Luke Barrett
  • BioWare Employees
  • 1,095 posts
I can't really comment on this topic other than to say that if you already had it purchased via steam before today you shouldn't have any issues.

erynnar

erynnar
  • Members
  • 3,010 posts
oh dear...

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,856 posts
Yup, just checked on Steam and DA2 is no where to be seen.

*sigh*
I won't be surprised in the least to see most other EA games totally gone from Steam by the end of the year. Way to go EA- keep on fighting the good fight for those consumers and giving them more choice!

Lord Advent

Lord Advent
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Can I purchase DLC and use it on steam still?

PARAGON87

PARAGON87
  • Members
  • 1,848 posts
This is starting to get ridiculous. If Steam yanked DA2 off because of the in-game store, why is Mass Effect 2 still on there? You can download the ME2 DLC right from the game, and go ahead and play.

Seriously this stuff is getting out of hand. Pretty soon every single publisher will have their own download client other than EA and Valve, and who ends up getting screwed? Us, the gamers.

EDIT: Dragon Age: Origins you can download through the game too!  There is another force at work here.

Edited by PARAGON87, 27 July 2011 - 02:48 AM.

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,856 posts

PARAGON87 wrote...

This is starting to get ridiculous. If Steam yanked DA2 off because of the in-game store, why is Mass Effect 2 still on there? You can download the ME2 DLC right from the game, and go ahead and play.

Seriously this stuff is getting out of hand. Pretty soon every single publisher will have their own download client other than EA and Valve, and who ends up getting screwed? Us, the gamers.

EDIT: Dragon Age: Origins you can download through the game too!  There is another force at work here.

Games like DAO and ME2 likely got grandfathered in and its only new EA games currently releasing new content and DLC which are violating whetever new terms of service Valve put forward.

But I just have the feeling EA isn't even bothering to try and work this out, considering they're trying to cram Origin down everyone's throat.

daemon1129

daemon1129
  • Members
  • 412 posts
I genuinely don't understand whats wrong. You don't have to buy it through Steam. You don't have to play the game through Steam, you don't need Steam to play DA2. So sorry, am I missing something here?

Morroian

Morroian
  • Members
  • 5,709 posts

Lord Advent wrote...

Can I purchase DLC and use it on steam still?

So long as we still have access to the game as Luke says we do I assume so.

Lord Advent

Lord Advent
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I just don't wanna buy the DLC and have in have conflicts with steam.

PARAGON87

PARAGON87
  • Members
  • 1,848 posts

Lord Advent wrote...

I just don't wanna buy the DLC and have in have conflicts with steam.

You won't, you buy DLC the same way for ME2 on Steam and there are no problems.

Lord Advent

Lord Advent
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Ok, thanks.

SicoWolf-

SicoWolf-
  • Members
  • 61 posts

daemon1129 wrote...

I genuinely don't understand whats wrong. You don't have to buy it through Steam. You don't have to play the game through Steam, you don't need Steam to play DA2. So sorry, am I missing something here?

Are you intentionally ignoring the obvious or are you just dense?

The issue here is that Steam is an extremely popular digital distribution service. Now, assumingly, to purchase the game digitally (and future BioWare/EA games) you'll have to go through EA's own client, Origin. That means your games will no longer be all in one place (more software clients to run, fragmented community, etc). No more awesome Steam sales. EA's own DRM. etc

Fortunately, some publishers have stated they love Steam. However, imagine having to load up a separate client for every publisher any time you want to play/purchase one of their games. What a PITA. 

talon0226

talon0226
  • Members
  • 3 posts

daemon1129 wrote...

It's simple, some of us use steam as our source of games and had bought this game through it, since EA and Valve have to fight over every little cent it’s the end user that pays for it, Origin seems to be what EA feels all users of their products should have to use where a product like Steam isn't restricted to one publisher, yes I'm all sure we all understand that Valve makes money off other publishers products sold through Steam but let’s be honest, who is paying to host, support, deliver and update all those products? It's Value and yes you could say EA will do that for their own games they don't give room to other developers and frankly I've dealt with "support" from both companies, at least the people from Valve don't come from a country where they don't understand some basic English questions and reply with standard pre typed out stuff then give you the same answer for ANY question you ask, that’s what EA does. EA's cheapness and lack of caring for their products or users of their products insults both the customer and the publishers you love like Bioware. The fact they make you buy "points" to buy any of their DLC is a spit in your face and they know it. Valve is just as much to blame throwing out a game over new rules on DLC but then again maybe they also agree that you having to buy points to get your DLC is an insult as well.

Edited by talon0226, 27 July 2011 - 03:40 AM.

adneate

adneate
  • Members
  • 2,970 posts
So in a couple months most EA games will be pulled from Steam and we'll all have to suffer through EA's garbage servers and DRM ridden nonsense while we call people in God-knows-where to beg them to let us install the games we paid for one more time. Goody.

. . . all so EA can fight a war that Microsoft, D2D and Stardock already lost years ago. But EA is the king of throwing good money after bad, nobody pisses away millions with total disregard for their customers or the hard reality of the market. Hey EA instead of wasting millions of dollars trying to fight Valve you could use that money to make sure your subsidiary studios have the time and money to produce games that aren't rushed pieces of garbage.

Or does that make too much sense?

PARAGON87

PARAGON87
  • Members
  • 1,848 posts

SicoWolf- wrote...

The issue here is that Steam is an extremely popular digital distribution service. Now, assumingly, to purchase the game digitally (and future BioWare/EA games) you'll have to go through EA's own client, Origin. That means your games will no longer be all in one place (more software clients to run, fragmented community, etc). No more awesome Steam sales. EA's own DRM. etc

Fortunately, some publishers have stated they love Steam. However, imagine having to load up a separate client for every publisher any time you want to play/purchase one of their games. What a PITA. 

If it comes to a point that we have to load 15 seperate clients to play 16 games, it will kill PC gaming as we know it and all publishers will go back to CDs.

Because no one will want to download games anymore.

Edited by PARAGON87, 27 July 2011 - 03:20 AM.

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,856 posts

adneate wrote...

So in a couple months most EA games will be pulled from Steam and we'll all have to suffer through EA's garbage servers and DRM ridden nonsense while we call people in God-knows-where to beg them to let us install the games we paid for one more time. Goody.

. . . all so EA can fight a war that Microsoft, D2D and Stardock already lost years ago. But EA is the king of throwing good money after bad, nobody pisses away millions with total disregard for their customers or the hard reality of the market. Hey EA instead of wasting millions of dollars trying to fight Valve you could use that money to make sure your subsidiary studios have the time and money to produce games that aren't rushed pieces of garbage.

Posted Image

And I'll even admit that Valve isn't blameless in this, but Valve and Steam are what has kept PC gaming alive for the past 6 or 7 years and a big reason indie games are doing well and digital downloads are more prevalent than ever. And now that there is money to be made in DD, EA wants to force Origin on everyone by cutting out support for the biggest DD platform for PC gaming.

When it comes down to it, I trust Valve more than I trust EA.

Savber100

Savber100
  • Members
  • 2,967 posts
Valve vs. EA?

My money is on Valve. ;P

OdanUrr

OdanUrr
  • Members
  • 9,305 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Luke Barrett wrote...

I can't really comment on this topic other than to say that if you already had it purchased via steam before today you shouldn't have any issues.

Silence is sometimes the better answer.B)

PARAGON87

PARAGON87
  • Members
  • 1,848 posts

adneate wrote...

But EA is the king of throwing good money after bad, nobody pisses away millions with total disregard for their customers or the hard reality of the market. Hey EA instead of wasting millions of dollars trying to fight
Valve you could use that money to make sure your subsidiary studios have
the time and money to produce games that
aren't rushed pieces of
garbage

QFFT (Yes, that's two F's).  Although EA has improved with their quality over the last 5-10 years, to their credit.

Edited by PARAGON87, 27 July 2011 - 03:44 AM.

PinkDiamondstl

PinkDiamondstl
  • Members
  • 1,099 posts
This thread is a Troll thread .
http://austrianecono...a5170970c-800wi

Savber100

Savber100
  • Members
  • 2,967 posts

PinkDiamondstl wrote...

This thread is a Troll thread .

In posting that image, you're no better. :)

addiction21

addiction21
  • Members
  • 6,050 posts

Brockololly wrote...

But I just have the feeling EA isn't even bothering to try and work this out, considering they're trying to cram Origin down everyone's throat.

That road goes both ways. I would rather see them all duke it out other then steam craming their virtual monopoly of digital distribuition down everyones throat.
Kudos for Valve getting the head start way back when they bundeled steam with Half-Life 2 and Counterstrike. Good for them.
Now you are seeing the desperation that the rest of the publishers wanting in on that business model.

And what a shock your knee jerk reaction is to "feel" it is all on EA (by proxy BioWare". It is not like you have made your bias known on a regular basis for many many months now that it is always EA's fault and could be no other way. Even tho you alway lack any evidence to prove these claims.

PinkDiamondstl wrote...
snip

Please just go away.

DTKT

DTKT
  • Members
  • 1,650 posts
Why the hell are they removing it god dammit.

It's using the same exact content distribution ME2 is using. Is that next?