Photo

Mass Effect 3 Beta/Story Leaks Update (NO SPOILERS)

999 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
Hi everyone

After some investigation, we are able to provide further information regarding the Mass Effect 3 leaks this weekend:

Following the accidental public release of the internal beta, some information was extracted from game files that was then released on the internet.  That information was found in test entries in our database which represent rough notes on mission summaries from early story drafts.  These story outlines do not form the actual game script, and since most of these entries are from first-draft story documents, many of the elements will be different in the final game.  These simplified entries also do not represent the actual dialog, non-linearity, or interactive choices in the actual game.  In fact, the team is still hard at work writing and implementing final versions of storylines and dialog.

It should go without saying however that reading leaked Mass Effect 3 files - however out of date they may be - will likely spoil your experience in the game.  We ask that you join with us in keeping the BioWare Social Network spoiler-free, so that as many players as possible can discover the surprises and revelations of Mass Effect 3 in the game itself.

:devil:

Original Post from Jesse Houston:
"Hello everyone!

As most of you know by now, this evening an accidental leak occurred of some early Mass Effect 3 beta code.  Microsoft has advised us that through human error at their end, content which was meant for internal beta testing was flagged incorrectly and released to individuals who had signed up for the beta of the Xbox Live dashboard update.  It has since been taken down and deactivated.

We’d like to stress that the leaked code is in a rough, unfinished state and was not meant for public release. The content is not final, and is not reflective of the quality of the finished, polished game due for release on March 6, 2012 (March 9 in Europe).

One feature that was present in this early build is a set of game play modes that are in development. In the beta code they are referred to as “action mode”, “story mode” and “RPG mode”. We want to stress that these features are still in the early stages of development and will receive considerable iteration and refinement. These modes are designed to give players an even finer degree of control over their game experience than ever before.  Whether it be someone who finds the combat difficult but wants to experience the amazing story, someone who wants to focus on the action and combat game play, or fans who want the rich, story-driven RPG Mass Effect experience they’ve come to love – Mass Effect 3 will support all of these options.  We’ll have more info in the days ahead!"

Edited by Chris Priestly, 12 November 2011 - 06:10 AM.

morrie23

morrie23
  • Members
  • 1,231 posts
Thanks for the update, Chris.

aridor1570

aridor1570
  • Members
  • 1,063 posts
Thanks for the clear update.

And I'm going to guarantee you that people are still going to call this BS and continue whining.

hawat333

hawat333
  • Members
  • 2,974 posts
Good to know, now it's time to avoid any ME forums entirely, or to go there wearing blindfolds, just to be sure. :)

don-mika

don-mika
  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3
perpetrators punished?

LilyasAvalon

LilyasAvalon
  • Members
  • 4,874 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Thanks for the update.

I'm still surprised there isn't a spoiler thread yet.

Edited by LilyasAvalon, 08 November 2011 - 04:44 PM.

Night Wraith

Night Wraith
  • Members
  • 396 posts
Thanks for keeping the community in the know/

PnXMarcin1PL

PnXMarcin1PL
  • Members
  • 3,027 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Good to know Chris. Many ppl may call it blind optimism, but I'm really waiting for ME3.

Cthulhu42

Cthulhu42
  • Members
  • 12,234 posts
Thanks for the update, but isn't this stuff we already knew?

Geth_Prime

Geth_Prime
  • Members
  • 907 posts
Thanks for the update Chris. Glad you cleared things up for everyone.

And once again, sorry for linking the spoilers. But hey, hype for the game just skyrocketed.

FoxHound109

FoxHound109
  • Members
  • 1,654 posts
This leak isn't so bad. It's a rough draft so it gives us a general idea of where the story could be going, but doesn't spoil much because it's so old. Kind of liking it...

IanPolaris

IanPolaris
  • Members
  • 9,238 posts

aridor1570 wrote...

And I'm going to guarantee you that people are still going to call this BS and continue whining.

Yep. I don't believe you. For that matter neither does Game Informer or many others out there.

I will be ready to say "I told you so" on 7 March.

-Polaris

IanPolaris

IanPolaris
  • Members
  • 9,238 posts
[dp]

Edited by IanPolaris, 08 November 2011 - 04:45 PM.

aridor1570

aridor1570
  • Members
  • 1,063 posts

Cthulhu42 wrote...

Thanks for the update, but isn't this stuff we already knew?

Yes, but people wanted to know MOAR.

shepskisaac

shepskisaac
  • Members
  • 15,675 posts
Thx for update Chris!

Of course some people will think "yeah right nothing will change this is obviously final story!!!11one" even though it's obvious these were early rough notes on the general plot ideas, but there's nothing that could convince complainers otherwise until they actually play the game. Ohh well...

LilyasAvalon wrote...

Thanks for the update.

I'm still surprised there isn't a spoiler thread yet.

There's the spoiler group to discuss/speculate: social.bioware.com/group/5245/

Edited by IsaacShep, 08 November 2011 - 04:47 PM.

PnXMarcin1PL

PnXMarcin1PL
  • Members
  • 3,027 posts

IanPolaris wrote...

aridor1570 wrote...

Yep. I don't believe you. For that matter neither does Game Informer or many others out there.

I will be ready to say "I told you so" on 7 March.

-Polaris

And I will be ready to say I dont care as far as I enjoy the game.

ElitePinecone

ElitePinecone
  • Members
  • 10,595 posts
Thanks for the update Chris!

onelifecrisis

onelifecrisis
  • Members
  • 2,829 posts
So it's all out of date, and yet it contains spoilers which we shouldn't discuss. And you won't make a spoiler forum, because they're not really spoilers, except that they are really spoilers, so we shouldn't talk about the spoilers that aren't spoilers in the non-spoiler forum.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. Awesome work.

Ohei

Ohei
  • Members
  • 845 posts
Woohoo.

shepskisaac

shepskisaac
  • Members
  • 15,675 posts

IanPolaris wrote...

For that matter neither does Game Informer or many others out there.

And what did Game Informer say hmmmm?

Eudaemonium

Eudaemonium
  • Members
  • 2,865 posts
Thanks for the update, Chris. I thought the script looked like draft notes (since it reminded me a lot of my own draft notes for writing stories: lots of ideas and possible scenarios in a jumbled mess). I look forward to seeing where ME3 takes us when it is released!

Still, looking forward to the demo in January.

Sebbe1337o

Sebbe1337o
  • Members
  • 1,353 posts
Thanks! Really nice of you to confirm what every smart user has suspected since yesterday. Everyone who didn't expect this were just idiots tbh :)

• Members
  • 3,758 posts

onelifecrisis wrote...

So it's all out of date,
and yet it contains spoilers which we shouldn't discuss. And you won't make a spoiler forum, because they're not really spoilers, except that they are really spoilers, so we shouldn't talk about the spoilers that aren't spoilers in the non-spoiler forum.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. Awesome work.

He never said that. Re-read the OP.

IanPolaris

IanPolaris
  • Members
  • 9,238 posts

IsaacShep wrote...

IanPolaris wrote...

For that matter neither does Game Informer or many others out there.

And what did Game Informer say hmmmm?

Essentially what I and others already said in the now locked thread.  There were too many choices and it was too long and far too detailed and released for too late in the Dev cycle for the leaked files (at least the TLK files on Bioware.ru) to be anything other than largely accurate and genuine.  I note in passing that Bioware's own response has been consistant with that as well (including the denial of the same).

-Polaris

Geth_Prime

Geth_Prime
  • Members
  • 907 posts
It's obvious they don't want to create a spoiler section. They want as few people as possible to know about the story information.