Photo

Free to Play MMO tease - possibly Jade Empire?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Ponendus

Ponendus
  • Members
  • 1,073 posts
Hi guys,

I remembered reading this a few days ago, and meant to post it here in case some of you die-hard JE fans didn't see it! In an interview with the Doctors, it appears they let slip about a free to play something on its way about to be announced.

Quote:
"We have some other stuff we haven't announced yet coming from our
play-for-free team that I'm really excited about. It's gonna bring back
some IP that people have a lot of fond memories around."

The Joystiq crew are betting on Jade Empire. Who knows? Time will tell I guess!

Here's a link to the full article. Have a good day. :)

www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera/

AngryFrozenWater

AngryFrozenWater
  • Members
  • 8,387 posts
Thanks for the heads up. :) I wouldn't mind a new Jade Empire at all. But I do hope they get rid of the mini game with the aircraft. ;) It would be great to see what BW would dream up with that franchise today, even though I only played it twice.

Seagloom

Seagloom
  • Members
  • 6,994 posts
It likely is Jade Empire based on that response. Neither BioWare or EA have D&D license rights to suggest a reemergence of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. It doesn't sound like this will necessarily be an MMO however. It could be a Facebook or other flash based game just as easily.

AxecObl

AxecObl
  • Members
  • 175 posts
Although I'd prefer a full retail sequel, this could be promising as well.

Had-to-say

Had-to-say
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts
I wish I had known about this game back then. I would have played it. I hope we see this game make a return.

AxecObl

AxecObl
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Had-to-say wrote...

I wish I had known about this game back then. I would have played it. I hope we see this game make a return.

Well, you could still play it now.

PattyMbuty

PattyMbuty
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Well something is better than nothing, so I would take this in a positive way. I enjoyed wile play. I promise this is not that much bad…..

cutter0

cutter0
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Sorry, I realize this is pretty much a dead thread, but when I found it I figured it was worth a look, and I noticed two things from the article.
"It's gonna bring back some IP that people have a lot of fond memories around."
Now there's a couple ways I see this, namely Baldur's Gate being a bigger candidate than Jade Empire due to the length of the series and the fact that Bioware likes to put at least one reference every so often (I'd say per game lately, but I haven't play ME3 and I don't remember one in DA2), but that's just a guess. The second is something I think was missed by every one, or at least I missed anyone else noticing it.
"SOME IP"
Now, I'm no linguistics major, but some usually means more than one, right? In other words we may be seeing Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire (Neverwinter Nights isn't something I personally know enough about to say if Bioware owns the rights, which is to say I know nothing about it, but still) coming out with a play-for-free game within the year. This is purely speculation, and even if they are working on it, the whole thing can be scrapped before we know it.....Hell even if they announced it tomorrow and every news source with minimal interest in it reported on it for three days afterwords it could be scrapped.

AxecObl

AxecObl
  • Members
  • 175 posts

cutter0 wrote...

Sorry, I realize this is pretty much a dead thread, but when I found it I figured it was worth a look, and I noticed two things from the article.
Now there's a couple ways I see this, namely Baldur's Gate being a bigger candidate than Jade Empire due to the length of the series and the fact that Bioware likes to put at least one reference every so often (I'd say per game lately, but I haven't play ME3 and I don't remember one in DA2), but that's just a guess. The second is something I think was missed by every one, or at least I missed anyone else noticing it.
"SOME IP"
Now, I'm no linguistics major, but some usually means more than one, right? In other words we may be seeing Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire (Neverwinter Nights isn't something I personally know enough about to say if Bioware owns the rights, which is to say I know nothing about it, but still) coming out with a play-for-free game within the year. This is purely speculation, and even if they are working on it, the whole thing can be scrapped before we know it.....Hell even if they announced it tomorrow and every news source with minimal interest in it reported on it for three days afterwords it could be scrapped.

Wouldn't that be IPs then if it was ment to be plural?
Also, I think Atari owns the rights to Neverwinter Nights, don't they?

cutter0

cutter0
  • Members
  • 4 posts

AxecObl wrote...

cutter0 wrote...

"SOME IP"

Wouldn't that be IPs then if it was ment to be plural?
Also, I think Atari owns the rights to Neverwinter Nights, don't they?

to both I give a I don't know, but to the former IPs seemed a bit wierd to type at the time.

Tocquevillain

Tocquevillain
  • Members
  • 507 posts
It's gonna be Baldur's Gate, a gaming website had an article within the last month or so stating that there was a new section to Bioware's website associated with Baldur's Gate, but with no real content other than the term on the page.