Photo

Origin and Mass Effect 3

3659 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)
Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?

Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.  We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware.  Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines.  In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder.   This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
The German Origin EULA has been updated.  For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?
Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails.  Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

9)Can I install Origin, install Mass Effect 3 and then uninstall Origin and keep playing Mass Effect 3? Even if I only want to play the Single Player Game?
Mass Effect 3 requires Origin to be played, so you cannot play Mass Effect 3 without Origin being installed. This applies to both the single player and multiplayer games.

10) If I have uninstalled Mass Effect 3 or Origin, do I need to reinstall Origin to reinstall Mass Effect 3?

You must have Origin installed to play Mass Effect 3. You would need to reinstall Origin and Mass Effect 3.

11)If I have installed Mass Effect 3 and Origin, do I need to keep the install/gameplay disc in the disc drive to play?
Once you have installed Mass Effect 3 and Origin, you do not have to keep the disc in the tray

I appreciate everyone's patience on this topic. Please continue to ask questions about Mass Effect 3 and Origin and I will continue to try to get the answers for you.

Edit: Added questions/answers #9 #10 #11.

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 17 January 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
Please use this thread to continue to ask your questions about Mass Effect 3 and Origin.

Please remember:[list=1][*]Mass Effect 3 WILL require Origin for all PC editions, both physical and digital. This will not change.[*]Mass Effect 3 is not currently available on Steam. This may change in the future, but complaining to BioWare/EA that it is not on Steam will not help. We continue to work with Steam/Valve to make Mass Effect 3 available on Steam.
[/list:o]
The previous version of this thread and responses can be seen HERE. It was closed to help gather outstanding questions on Mass Efffect 3 and Origin, if anyone has a collected list, please let me know so I do not miss any. Please use this thread to continue the discussion. Thanks.

Edited by Chris Priestly, 16 January 2012 - 07:38 PM.

Emoking

Emoking
  • Members
  • 447 posts
Fair enough reason to lock it, I suppose.

I think people will continue to complain here about no ME3 on Steam, since the majority of users believe EA to be at fault about this. Is there a better place that we could complain, though? (And I don't think anyone will accept complaining to Steam, for the reasons above). Is there a customer complaints email for EA?

Edit: Also, as stated on the previous thread: Can this be stickied? This is just as important as pre-order bonuses, just in a different way.

Edited by Emoking, 16 January 2012 - 07:47 PM.

CroGamer002

CroGamer002
  • Members
  • 20,507 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3
From IsaacShep:

To Chris Priestly

1) If we do not intend to use multiplayer, can we uninstall Origin after completing one time single authorization for the single player game?

2) Also, will I have to install Origin EVERY TIME I install Mass Effect 3, or after one time single authorization I will no longer have to install Origin ever again?

Edited by Mesina2, 16 January 2012 - 07:54 PM.

chance52

chance52
  • Members
  • 380 posts
Origin itself is very problematic to start with and has been for some time.

There are a million and one problems with keeping DLC authorized when running an install from Origin as opposed to the physical DVD. Never ran into that issue? Take a moment to search all the BioWare tech help forums with people running into that issue and how many variations there are on this problem and how more often than not it's from an EADM/Origin DD.

What about those who have fast connection speeds yet somehow the DD still goes way too slow? The backup issue alone drives me mad! I have the DA:O Ultimate edition and that is a 27GB download, when I call tech support to find a way to back up the file they say it has to be re-downloaded every install and when others claim to have found a way to avoid it often these turn out to have problems of their own.

These are all basic features of the service they are mandating so shouldn't it, you know, actually be functioning properly before cementing it to BioWare's biggest release of 2012?

So will any of these issues be fixed before March 6th? Are they even a priority?

Lumikki

Lumikki
  • Members
  • 4,239 posts
My question:

Is it possible uninstall Origin client after single authorization for the single player game in ME3 and still play ME3?

Edited by Lumikki, 16 January 2012 - 08:02 PM.

Ryzaki

Ryzaki
  • Members
  • 30,860 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Will not change?

Well there goes my hope.

I'm not installing more bloatware BW. I'm not. I hope you're happy that I'm stuck buying it on Xbox now. Grrr.

Unless I can install Origin, authorize ME3 and then uninstall it and keep playing ME3 (single player of course).

Edited by Ryzaki, 16 January 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts

Emoking wrote...

Is there a customer complaints email for EA?

Yes, if you wish to complain to EA, you can reach them here.

Edited by Chris Priestly, 16 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Alpha Bootis

Alpha Bootis
  • Members
  • 37 posts
Still. What i don't understand is why not just release the game as-is outside of origin and make it optional. I would be able te reinstate my pre-order, EA avoids a lot of flak and everybody who feels origin has any sort of value can go right ahead using it on a voluntarily basis.

Dragoonlordz

Dragoonlordz
  • Members
  • 9,772 posts
On top of being about 220 pages long the old thread got a bit much so starting fresh is good. At least Chris has linked on page one here the other thread if wish to view it so there is no harm done in this regard.

Edited by Dragoonlordz, 16 January 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Aaleel

Aaleel
  • Members
  • 4,116 posts
OK, I asked it multiple times in the last thread never saw an answer.

After you activate the game for SP, do you need to keep Origin on your PC? Basically does Origin have to be running to play the single player portion of the game?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Fredvdp

Fredvdp
  • Members
  • 6,057 posts
I also want to know that. I don't want to launch Origin every time I want to play like with Battlefield 3.

I also want to know why Origin is a requirement. Mass Effect 2 could authenticate your copy without it and as far as I can tell Origin will add literally nothing to the experience.

casadechrisso

casadechrisso
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...Please remember:[list=1][*]Mass Effect 3 WILL require Origin for all PC editions, both physical and digital. This will not change.

Let's see about that, shall we... Repeating it won't make it better...<_<

Edited by casadechrisso, 16 January 2012 - 07:52 PM.

elitecom

elitecom
  • Members
  • 579 posts
Got a couple of questions, some which are recurring ones::

After you've verified your copy of the game through Origin, can you uninstal Origin and remove it from the computer?

Or will it be needed for patching and DLC downloading?

Or will the game depend upon Origin being in the computer at all times?

outlaw1109

outlaw1109
  • Members
  • 319 posts
As far as things go, I really think you're wasting your time on the STEAM issue. EA and valve seem to be in a standoff about specific terms. If what I've heard is true, I don't blame EA for standing their ground, but I think its a bit silly for two companys to have a disagreement about something like that....

Emoking

Emoking
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Emoking wrote...

Yes, if you wish to complain to EA, you can reach them here.

That site asks me for my log-in, then redirects to the generic EA storefront. (Edit: It takes me here http://www.ea.com/ )

Is there
somewhere specific I should go after that?

Edited by Emoking, 16 January 2012 - 07:51 PM.

photographerleia

photographerleia
  • Members
  • 102 posts
Chris,

What reason can we be given for *why* retail copies of ME3 will require Origin for single-player campaigns? Multi-player I understand. Games purchased from the Origin store I understand. Retail single-player though? I see absolutely no reason for it. Not requiring an always-on connection is not the same as not having to install a third party client just to run a game locally.

I genuinely feel that it is in EA/Bioware's best interest to address this issue as a large number of individuals are cancelling/have cancelled/refused to pre-order because of this issue. I myself will not be pre-ordering (despite the fact that I would love to own the CE ... it would have been the first CE I had every ordered), and will not buy the game for as long as it requires Origin.

The call for making Origin optional for retail/SP is at the conversation in the last thread.

Edited by photographerleia, 16 January 2012 - 08:01 PM.

abaris

abaris
  • Members
  • 1,617 posts

Alpha Bootis wrote...

Still. What i don't understand is why not just release the game as-is outside of origin and make it optional. I would be able te reinstate my pre-order, EA avoids a lot of flak and everybody who feels origin has any sort of value can go right ahead using it on a voluntarily basis.

Because they want to promote their client. Simple as that.

Fredvdp

Fredvdp
  • Members
  • 6,057 posts

Emoking wrote...

I used the form on support.ea.com under 'Mass Effect 3' to complain and referred to the now closed Origin thread.

Edited by Fredvdp, 16 January 2012 - 07:53 PM.

Emoking

Emoking
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Fredvdp wrote...

Emoking wrote...

I used the form on support.ea.com under Mass Effect 3' to complain and referred to the now closed Origin thread.

Oh, thanks muchly. :)

TedoM

TedoM
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Mesina2 wrote...

From IsaacShep:

To Chris Priestly

1) If we do not intend to use multiplayer, can we uninstall Origin after completing one time single authorization for the single player game?

2) Also, will I have to install Origin EVERY TIME I install Mass Effect 3, or after one time single authorization I will no longer have to install Origin ever again?

I never really saw an answer to this questions.
P.S. I am still buying ME3 CE no matter what.

Forsythia

Forsythia
  • Members
  • 931 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Will we have to buy DLC through this website, or can we do that from within Origin? (which could be much user-friendlier: no more different installer files ftw!)

Alpha Bootis

Alpha Bootis
  • Members
  • 37 posts

abaris wrote...

Alpha Bootis wrote...

Because they want to promote their client. Simple as that.

And goodwill is best served by force-feeding it to your customers? I have serious doubts about that as i am right now boycotting everything that comes from EA's stables requiring Origin.

Tenryu7

Tenryu7
  • Members
  • 10 posts
I have heard nothing but bad things about Origin from my friends who have used it for BF3 and I would really like for my Mass Effect games to be on the same service considering I already have 1 & 2 on Steam.

Best of luck working with Steam to put Mass Effect 3 on it. I will wait patiently for that day.

Emoking

Emoking
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Forsythia wrote...

Will we have to buy DLC through this website, or can we do that from within Origin? (which could be much user-friendlier: no more different installer files ftw!)

Seconding that question.