Photo

Information from the ME3 article in "GameStar" (may be a little spoilerish)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

Ieldra

Ieldra
  • Members
  • 21,358 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
"GameStar" is a German games magazine, one of the reputable ones. The February issue which I have just gotten has a long article about Mass Effect 3. I don't know how much of this is already known. Here are a few snippets:

(1) On Mars, Shepard will be looking for a Prothean secret weapon which may be useful against the Reapers. Casey Hudson is quoted with saying that this doesn't mean the story is about THE McGuffin what will win the war, but more about "searching the whole galaxy for pieces of useful knowledge and war assets".

(2) At the start, people on the Citadel will believe that the war isn't their problem. This will drastically change in the course of the story.

(3) War assets can be all kinds of things from fleets to single people. Their contribution will of course be of drastically different sizes.

(4) If you enter Reaper-controlled territory, there's a chance the Reapers will try to hunt you down and you must do something to avoid them. That's referred to as a minigame.

(5) Reaper-controlled territory will change as the story progresses, but only main plot decisions trigger these changes. You'll have all the time you need for sidequests.

(6) Some missions are mutually exclusive. Which one you choose from a set of options might affect the fate of civilizations and the loyalty of NPCs.

(7) Some optional missions may become unavailable if you don't finish them before certain story events happen. That might adversely affect your campaign.

(8) Re-found snippet. There will be a krogan on board the Normandy. (I had removed this entry because I couldn't find the quote anymore, but Casey Hudson was indeed quoted as saying this, as an example of that there will always be an NPC around personally affected by Shepard's story decisions. In the same sentence, he also said there will be a quarian on board, but that's hardly news, LOL. Note that this does not necessarily mean that any of those "characters from everywhere" (CH) will be a member of Shepard's team.

(9) All missions may influence your reputation with NPCs (unclear whether this only refers to team members). That in turn may influence your interaction with them in future. NPCs differ in what they prefer, some may be more impressed by Renegade decisions, some more by Paragon decisions, but all will be influenced by decisions affecting their species.

(10) If old team members are dead, different things may happen depending on the character. Sometimes a story arc will be completely lost, sometimes there will be a replacement character, sometimes the story will develop in a totally different way.

(11) There will be no "Reapers win" scenario, based on the reasoning that such an ending is unsatisfying for players and would lead to re-loading a saved game anyway. There will, however, be endings where whole species become extinct and many worlds are destroyed, including Earth.

(12) The Collector base decision will become important at some point, but whatever you did with it will not have any negative repercussions (How they'll manage that and make it still be important I'm curious to see).
Update - translated quote from the article "At the end of the game, everything can happen. Then even the big decision you had to make at the end of Mass Effect 2 will have an effect." The follow-up that it will have a big and meaninful consequence appears to be more speculation by the writer of the article than real information.

(13) How the war progresses will also affect the Normandy somehow.

(14) The Citadel will be bigger than ever before and you'll meet many characters you know from the first two games. Many loose ends from the first games will be tied up, including the mystery of the Keepers. (I hope I'll meet Chorban again).

(15) Casey Hudson is quoted as saying that it is "a good idea to stick to your principles" with regard to your style of action, i.e. Paragon/Renegade. :sick: And I hoped we wouldn't be railroaded onto one path this time.... Though the context suggests that this might be NPC-specific, i.e. you should stick to your principles with regard to decisions affecting one character or species. I would like some clarification on this.

Update 2012/11/22:

(16) Liara will join Shepard's team on Mars.

(17) Shepard will not command fleets or move around armies.

(18) EVERYTHING Shepard does will affect the war. Story missions, sidequests and even exploration minigames.

(19) There will be a menu listing everyone's contributions to the war assets. Casey Hudson: "For example, there may be an entry for the quarian fleet, which is worth a crazy amount of points, and an entry for a single guy you've met in a bar and convinced to join the army, who is possibly worth a single point."

Edited by Ieldra2, 22 January 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Guest_The PLC_*

Guest_The PLC_*
  • Guests
I really hope we will visit more planets, than just the alien home worlds. That's what made planets like Ilos so sweet. It was mysterious!

ElitePinecone

ElitePinecone
  • Members
  • 10,790 posts
Thanks, some interesting tidbits there.

ttchip

ttchip
  • Members
  • 1,160 posts

Ieldra2 wrote...
(4) If you enter Reaper-controlled territory, there's a chance the Reapers will try to hunt you down and you must do something to avoid them. That's referred to as a minigame.

what i'm curious about is what'll happen if you fail at that minigame. will you die? i'd certainly hope it'll be possible to die because of a minigame :D

Nero Narmeril

Nero Narmeril
  • Members
  • 1,474 posts

(12) The Collector base decision will become important at some point, but whatever you did with it will not have any negative repercussions (How they'll manage that and make it still be important I'm curious to see).

Yeah, whatever (laughing at it)

LGTX

LGTX
  • Members
  • 2,590 posts
Nice info, curious on that mini-game regarding Reaper-controlled territories. Thanks!

CroGamer002

CroGamer002
  • Members
  • 20,466 posts

Ieldra2 wrote...

(2) At the start, people on the Citadel will believe that the war isn't their problem. This will drastically change in the course of the story.

Oh, f*ck those bastards!

If it wouldn't doom entire galaxy, I would let Reaper take over Citadel.

Welsh Inferno

Welsh Inferno
  • Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3

Ieldra2 wrote...

(8) There is a krogan on board the SR2. Either a known or an unknown one depending on who survived in previous games.

Wat. :o

Guest_The PLC_*

Guest_The PLC_*
  • Guests
That minigame sounds... interesting. Hmmm..

Someone With Mass

Someone With Mass
  • Members
  • 34,867 posts

Ieldra2 wrote...

(11) There will be no "Reapers win" scenario, based on the reasoning that such an ending is unsatisfying for players and would lead to re-loading a saved game anyway. There will, however, be endings where whole species become extinct and many worlds are destroyed, including Earth.

Some people would call that a "Reapers win" scenario.

Tazzmission

Tazzmission
  • Members
  • 10,619 posts
very juicy info!

CptData

CptData
  • Members
  • 8,643 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Thanks Ieldra2.

I'm a bit sad we won't see a "total destruction & defeat" scenario since that also reduces the chances for a "perfect ending". *cough* spoilers *cough*

CroGamer002

CroGamer002
  • Members
  • 20,466 posts

Someone With Mass wrote...

Ieldra2 wrote...

Reapers don't seek to destroy, they seek to survive and "evolve" other species.

nightcobra

nightcobra
  • Members
  • 6,152 posts
hoping the minigame is controlling the normandy to shoot at reapers and evade them long enough to lose them out of sight.

krogan on the normandy- both wrex and grunt survived for me so i'm fine either way.

Tazzmission

Tazzmission
  • Members
  • 10,619 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3

nightcobra8928 wrote...

hoping the minigame is controlling the normandy to shoot at reapers and evade them long enough to lose them out of sight.

are you asking for a real time shooting with that? because id hate that and im not trying to be a douche or anything but i despise rts

nightcobra

nightcobra
  • Members
  • 6,152 posts

Mesina2 wrote...

Ieldra2 wrote...

Reapers don't seek to destroy, they seek to survive and "evolve" other species.

and then integrating them into their own society as new reapers, resulting in the loss of that species civilization.

Ieldra

Ieldra
  • Members
  • 21,358 posts

Welsh Inferno wrote...

Ieldra2 wrote...

(8) There is a krogan on board the SR2. Either a known or an unknown one depending on who survived in previous games.

Wat. :o

Sorry I have misread that. At least I can't find the place again where I thought I read this. It's only said that we're working together with a krogan, who is either a known or an unknown quantity.

Ieldra

Ieldra
  • Members
  • 21,358 posts

Ieldra2 wrote...

If the Reapers are defeated to the point that they can't harvest civilizations anymore, and some organic civilizations of the galaxy have survived, I'd call that a victory. A costly one, but still a victory.

nightcobra

nightcobra
  • Members
  • 6,152 posts

Tazzmission wrote...

nightcobra8928 wrote...

are you asking for a real time shooting with that? because id hate that and im not trying to be a douche or anything but i despise rts

i'm imagining more of a "the old republic" kind of space battles, i'd be fine with that but i'll wait and see what they got in store for us.

Armass81

Armass81
  • Members
  • 2,642 posts
Heres a "reapers win" ending for you:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3cPEq2PGOc

Icinix

Icinix
  • Members
  • 8,064 posts
Too. Much. Awesome.

Brings a tear to my eye this much awesomeness.

Khran1505

Khran1505
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Ieldra2 wrote...

You'll forgive me if I call BS on this. It's clear that the Reapers can win in this war, forget that such an ending is "unsatisfying", that's just further incentive to not mess up your save. Not to mention it's a very realistic turn on war with an omnicidal near-invincible race of bio-organic machines. That and the talk of endings where "whole species and worlds can be destroyed, Earth included" is pretty much (as a user already stated) a Reaper-Win-Scenario. Getting rid of such an ending only means you can win this no matter what, there are just heavier losses on certain grounds. No, the Reapers definately have a shot at winning, that's what makes the dread of losing hope all that more powerful and it really drives us as players to make the right decisions and save our galaxy from the Reapers.

Other than that, loving these pieces of info, very inspiring.

Candidate 88766

Candidate 88766
  • Members
  • 3,422 posts
Some of that stuff sounds really interesting.

I really like the fact that we'll have to sometimes choose between certain missions, and that sometimes you can miss the opportunity to do missions.

I also like the sound of Reaper controlled space being dangerous.

nightcobra

nightcobra
  • Members
  • 6,152 posts

Khran1505 wrote...

Ieldra2 wrote...

You'll forgive me if I call BS on this. It's clear that the Reapers can win in this war, forget that such an ending is "unsatisfying", that's just further incentive to not mess up your save. Not to mention it's a very realistic turn on war with an omnicidal near-invincible race of bio-organic machines. That and the talk of endings where "whole species and worlds can be destroyed, Earth included" is pretty much (as a user already stated) a Reaper-Win-Scenario. Getting rid of such an ending only means you can win this no matter what, there are just heavier losses on certain grounds. No, the Reapers definately have a shot at winning, that's what makes the dread of losing hope all that more powerful and it really drives us as players to make the right decisions and save our galaxy from the Reapers.

Other than that, loving these pieces of info, very inspiring.

the reapers can win, but we call that a game over screen since that's what i'm guessing will happen.

Adhin

Adhin
  • Members
  • 2,468 posts
That's Wrex probably. Which is partially same way as it was in ME2. Wrex was either alive, and you saw him as Krogan chief or king or whatever. Or he was dead and some distant brother of his took over and was happy you killed him as it gave him the opportunity to take over.