Photo

Mass Effect: Deception Discussion Thread (Updated 2/2/2012) *Now with 30% more links!*

11391 replies to this topic

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 11,665 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Holy cow, we landed on a Penny Arcade comic. Rock the heck on, people.

Quick Link: The Now-Famous Google Document On All The Errors In "Deception": (Routinely Updated!)
Errors In Mass Effect: Deception

See why joystiq.com is calling the latest tie-in 'a shipload of errors'!

And Another Quick Link: Free Excerpt For The Book!
Deception Excerpt

Foreword:

It's been a long week. Several days ago eager fans of the Mass Effect franchise got their hands on a lengthy excerpt of the latest in a series of tie-in novels, "Deception". A few of us even got legit copies before the street date. What we found was pretty depressing -- a novel rife with errors. I've no interest in taking personal potshots at any fellow human being, but the inarguable truth here is that author William C. Dietz, taking up the reins after Drew Karpyshyn moved over to development of Star Wars: The Old Republic, seemingly made little effort to verify any of his writing with BioWare, nor did the editing process do much to correct his mistakes.

We aren't talking small-time either. I know some of us are going to get irate over the tiniest detail, and I can respect that but I tend to let a reasonable measure of continuity errors slide when enjoying a piece of entertainment. In this book's case, however, some rather unsettling mistakes were made, including but by no means limited to a disrespectful elimination of autism within a teenage girl for no apparent reason (the girl, by the way, was artificially aged several years on top of that) and the alteration of the series' only completely gay male character thus far into a heterosexual. These are pretty touchy issues that strike some serious chords with plenty of gamers.

One major goal of this discussion thread as well as the now-famous Google document detailing the dozens upon dozens of errors found in the book, and indeed a major goal for every contributing member here, is to make fandom well-aware of the troubles of "Deception". That said, I personally encourage all manner of discussion over this novel, seeing as how this is indeed a thread on its existence. As such, positive comments are totally welcome here, but be advised that there is an overwhelming opposition to the book's storyline, treatment of characters, setting mishaps and such so you may be hard-pressed to find support.

Despite that, let's be civil. Let's be shining examples of civilized individuals coming together to discuss a book and let's not be mean-spirited. It's taken a tie-in disaster to unite us; I'd rather we remain courteous and respectful so as not to send the world the wrong message about Mass Effect and its fans. We're devoted to upholding a degree of integrity within a franchise we enjoy. We aren't asking much.

Media Coverage On "Deception" And Its Negative Fan Backlash:
IGN: "Mass Effect Tie-In Novel Filled With Errors"
EuroGamer: "Fans Pick Apart Canonical Errors In Mass Effect Deception"
Escapist Magazine: "Fans Tear New Mass Effect Book To Shreds"
Joystiq: "Fans Find Shipload Of Errors In New Mass Effect Novel"Kotaku: "[...] Find Ton Of Errors"
N4G: "[...] Find Ton Of Mistakes"
Game Banshee: "Deception Mistakes Anger Fans
Game Revolution: "Fans Document Huge List Of Errors"
Game Bandits: "Hardcore Fans Inspect Novel For Facts And Errors"
Machinima: "Coverage On Deception"
Capsule Computers: "Errors Abound In New Mass Effect Novel"
GMRFM: "Fans Catalogue Mass Effect Novel Inaccuracies
Technology Tell: "William C. Dietz Messed up Mass Effect Deception"
Penny Arcade: "Transposition"

Twitter Feed For "Mass Effect Deception":
Mass Effect Deception

Open Letters To BioWare:
The Mass Effect Wikia Team
An Anonymous Fan

Can't Get Enough Discussion? Join The Official Group By Lady Amell:
Mass Effect Deception Discussion Group

The Amazing Ever-Expanding List Of Credits:

To be frank, several of these remarkable individuals have done far more than I to keep the momentum going in a goal-driven, passionate way both here in the thread and of course by constantly updating the Google document. My time is limited; without the support of everyone mentioned here as well as plenty of folks I've no doubt forgotten, the fan criticisms of "Deception" may well have been no more than a blip of any average fellow's radar. Instead we've drawn the attention of numerous news outlets and we've made countless fans more actively aware. I thank you sincerely.

didymos1120;
Yuoaman;
izmirtheastarch;
AVPen;
implodinggoat;
TheCrimsonSpire;
Arcadian Legend;
Iohanna;
LPPrince;
ElitePinecone;
IsaacShep;
Anacronian Stryx;
The PLC;
Someone With Mass;
Mesina2;
Random Jerkface;
HelloMan;
Eski.Moe;
JamesFaith;
ZLurps;
ediskrad327;
Abe;
makenzieshepard;
Zandercode;
Leeroi;
Armass81;
MasterEcabob;
Death by Smiley;
Chewin3;
AwesomeName;
ddv.rsa;
AresXX7;
Relix28;
CDRSkyShepard;
Lady Amell;
MJvasNormandy;
and everyone at the Mass Effect Wiki!

Edited by JeffZero, 03 February 2012 - 08:29 AM.

Cheesy Blue

Cheesy Blue
  • Members
  • 1,381 posts
It's horrible...

Yuoaman

Yuoaman
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts
There is also a larger preview available at Google Books:

Edit: Link removed, posted banned 24 hours. We do not allow people to circumvent copyright here. :devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 25 January 2012 - 09:50 PM.

What a Succulent Ass

What a Succulent Ass
  • Banned
  • 5,568 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Edit: Post removed as per site rule #2. :devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 25 January 2012 - 09:51 PM.

AshleyPicLover

AshleyPicLover
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Do not use the Google books link it can get you banned.

Guest_Hello Man_*

Guest_Hello Man_*
  • Guests
I'm curious about the age of Gillian and Nick so far, their both 18. Some people think it messes with the timeline but after brainstorming we don't exactly know when Retribution starts or for that mater Deception. And so far it kinda does make it acceptable. Thought 17 would be more accurate IMO.

Anyone have their theories beside Dietz being wrong.

andy69156915

andy69156915
  • Members
  • 3,988 posts
No talking about being able to read it for free anywhere, and this topic should be okay. Which is good, because that last topic on this was way too funny to die is such a pathetic way.

CroGamer002

CroGamer002
  • Members
  • 20,389 posts

Random Jerkface wrote...

You better watch out, you better watch out
Kai Leng is coming to town, Kai Leng is coming to town
He will steal your cereals and then he will eat them

Edited by Chris Priestly, 25 January 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Eski.Moe

Eski.Moe
  • Members
  • 919 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3
lol, I think they were itching to lock that thread. Still, let's keep that naughty stuff out of here. I'm of course referring to things against the site's TOS and not Deitz's scene with Nick dreaming about Barla Von. :)
Still, it will be interesting to see this book's wider reception once it gets released. I know novels based on vidya games tend to fly relatively under the radar but I'm talking from a financial perspective. It's obviously going to be panned from a critic's perspective (unless PCGamer and Escapist have opened book sections ;] ) but we'll see if any of ME3's hype magic has rubbed off on it.

Yuoaman

Yuoaman
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

AshleyPicLover wrote...

Do not use the Google books link it can get you banned.

I'm pretty sure that the Google Books preview is there officially.

And cereal is my favorite character.

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 11,665 posts

Eski.Moe wrote...

lol, I think they were itching to lock that thread. Still, let's keep that naughty stuff out of here. I'm of course referring to things against the site's TOS and not Deitz's scene with Nick dreaming about Barla Von. :)
Still, it will be interesting to see this book's wider reception once it gets released. I know novels based on vidya games tend to fly relatively under the radar but I'm talking from a financial perspective. It's obviously going to be panned from a critic's perspective (unless PCGamer and Escapist have opened book sections ;] ) but we'll see if any of ME3's hype magic has rubbed off on it.

Indeed, I'm also interested. I felt as though Drew Karpyshyn's tie-in novels generally got better and better, and then in stepped Dietz and this is definitely worse than "Revelation" by a good bit.

hotdogbsg

hotdogbsg
  • Members
  • 650 posts
Can someone fill me in about the cereal?

Apparently the bad guy eats some that doesn't belong to him?

Eski.Moe

Eski.Moe
  • Members
  • 919 posts
Kai Leng breaks into Anderson's apartment and eats his cereal. It's basically his way marking his territory. One step above urine.

Heimdall

Heimdall
  • Members
  • 7,273 posts

Hello Man wrote...

I'm curious about the age of Gillian and Nick so far, their both 18. Some people think it messes with the timeline but after brainstorming we don't exactly know when Retribution starts or for that mater Deception. And so far it kinda does make it acceptable. Thought 17 would be more accurate IMO.

We know they both occur before ME3, which is two months after Arrival, which is about the time of ME2.  They were twelve or so in Ascension, which was a few months after the game two years prior to ME2.  forteen or fifteem, at the most.

Yuoaman

Yuoaman
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

hotdogbsg wrote...

While leaving cameras and listening devices in Anderson's apartment he hangs back a while to eat some of his cereal for cheap thrills.

Guest_Hello Man_*

Guest_Hello Man_*
  • Guests

Lord Aesir wrote...

Hello Man wrote...

We know they both occur before ME3, which is two months after Arrival, which is about the time of ME2.  They were twelve or so in Ascension, which was a few months after the game two years prior to ME2.  forteen or fifteem, at the most.

They were 15 in Retribution. Mass Effect 2 took almost a year and a couple months.

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 11,665 posts

Eski.Moe wrote...

Kai Leng breaks into Anderson's apartment and eats his cereal. It's basically his way marking his territory. One step above urine.

I shouldn't have named his young male kitten I recently rescued Garrus. I definitely should have named him Kai Leng.

Guest_Hello Man_*

Guest_Hello Man_*
  • Guests

Yuoaman wrote...

hotdogbsg wrote...

While leaving cameras and listening devices in Anderson's apartment he hangs back a while to eat some of his cereal for cheap thrills.

Hey I would too. Lol. "Hey whats this guy have in his fridge".

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 11,665 posts

Hello Man wrote...

Lord Aesir wrote...

Hello Man wrote...

They were 15 in Retribution. Mass Effect 2 took almost a year and a couple months.

1.) "Retribution" is set after ME2.
2.) ME2 did not take a year and change from opening to suicide mission. If you're discussing opening to "Arrival" the line gets murkier, but I'm not sure where you're going.

Klijpope

Klijpope
  • Members
  • 591 posts

Eski.Moe wrote...

That would at least have been more interesting...

Yuoaman

Yuoaman
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

JeffZero wrote...

Eski.Moe wrote...

I shouldn't have named his young male kitten I recently rescued Garrus. I definitely should have named him Kai Leng.

But then he'd always be stealing your Cheerios, and no one wants that.

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 11,665 posts

Yuoaman wrote...

JeffZero wrote...

Eski.Moe wrote...

But then he'd always be stealing your Cheerios, and no one wants that.

Fair point.

Guest_Hello Man_*

Guest_Hello Man_*
  • Guests

JeffZero wrote...

Hello Man wrote...

Lord Aesir wrote...

Hello Man wrote...

1.) "Retribution" is set after ME2.
2.) ME2 did not take a year and change from opening to suicide mission. If you're discussing opening to "Arrival" the line gets murkier, but I'm not sure where you're going.

Well see thats the thing I don't really know. Does any one know? The only thing I know is it started a couple months after 2183 the jumped to 2185. I'm only suggesting a year because of cerberus network news.

Edited by Hello Man, 25 January 2012 - 09:35 PM.

StephanieBengal

StephanieBengal
  • Members
  • 824 posts
The whole eating cereal thing is just funny and I don't think that's a good thing.

dtmoss

dtmoss
  • Members
  • 131 posts
Haha, I think Kai is my new favorite character.