Photo

So we can't get the ending we want after all?

101107 replies to this topic

DaftArbiter

DaftArbiter
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts
So BW has told us that it'd be hard to get the best possible endings, but they always let us do with this game something that was unprecedented: if we made the right decisions, we could get the outcome we want. Huge spoilers ahead, you've been warned:

Current information states that regardless of which ending you choose, regardless of whether or not Shep lives or dies, the Normandy crew gets stranded on some random world without tech, Shepard will never see them again, and the galaxy by and large is completely boned for the next 200k years or so without any kind of good spacefaring tech.

To which I just want to say...why? After so many years of giving us control, why jerk it away from us at the last second just to force us to get a "bittersweet" ending. Not that I mind there being one present, and I'd use one in a playthrough, but not ALL my playthroughs.

SonofOrion

SonofOrion
  • Members
  • 25 posts
You said it.

Aurora313

Aurora313
  • Members
  • 4,612 posts
Damn right.

LilyasAvalon

LilyasAvalon
  • Members
  • 4,766 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
We are not amused Bioware, not amused at all.

NovemEnuma

NovemEnuma
  • Members
  • 110 posts
The price...of surviving/defeating once and for all an extinction cycle that been happening for millions of years; a bittersweet ending.

Edited by NovemEnuma, 28 February 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Aramintai

Aramintai
  • Members
  • 428 posts
I agree. The "best" ending is no better than worse ones. And you really have to work hard to get it, to boot.
That Shepard will get screwed in every option sucks BIG time - I've enjoyed Shep's personal problems in ME more that those on the galactic scale. And those on the galactic scale - well, sure Reapers will be destroyed..along all their tech like Mass Relays. Which I can't say is better considering that without them many planets won't be able to sustain themselves, so how is this a better ending than the rest I cannot fathom.
Pointless and dissatisfying to say the least...

Edited by Aramintai, 28 February 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Fault Girl

Fault Girl
  • Members
  • 2,137 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
pretty much :(

DaftArbiter

DaftArbiter
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts

NovemEnuma wrote...

The price...of surviving/defeating once and for all an extinction cycle that been happening for millions of years; a bittersweet ending.

In a fictional game that lets us pick our own endings.

OH WAIT NOW YOU CAN'T BECAUSE WE WANT TO FORCE SOMETHING ON YOU :D

I'm not saying "preorder canceled" but this royally sucks the fun out of the game for me. Everything about making our own destiny...down the drain. Fallout 3 all over again!

CptData

CptData
  • Members
  • 8,637 posts
Pretty much what you said, OP.

In short:

BW told us, the endings won't make everybody happy.
Truth is: the endings will make everybody sad.

And that, fellow fans, is the only truth here. Lets shove that down their throat.

Edited by CptData, 28 February 2012 - 01:11 PM.

AlphaJarmel

AlphaJarmel
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
I would pay for Happy Ending DLC. No joke.

JosephDucreux

JosephDucreux
  • Members
  • 852 posts
I work my ass off in ME1 and 2 only to get f*cked over and my envisioned ending wrenched away from me in ME3 just for the sakes of 't3h DDRUMAS' and a 'bittersweet ending'?

I'll gladly give Mac Walters something bittersweet alright. It's called my fist in his face.

Vergil5

Vergil5
  • Members
  • 22 posts
The dominoes are starting to fall. Gonna hate to see this place next week.

SonofOrion

SonofOrion
  • Members
  • 25 posts
Looks like Manuel was right all along. Night is falling, the darkness of Eternity. :/

Xayoz

Xayoz
  • Members
  • 122 posts
Agreeage!
I wanted an ending where I marry TIM and make at least 6 blue-eyed babies!

Preorder. Cancelled.

DaftArbiter

DaftArbiter
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts
The best we can hope for, in the vein of Fallout 3, is a "fix" DLC that ends the problem present here. That's why I made this thread. To warn people if it's a gamebreaker for them, and beyond that, to get change for this game's sake from BW if they want to throw their loyal fans a bone, rather than boning the fans.

JosephDucreux

JosephDucreux
  • Members
  • 852 posts

AlphaJarmel wrote...

I would pay for Happy Ending DLC. No joke.

And that's probably what EAWare was counting on to boost profits. F*ckers.

k-baggs

k-baggs
  • Members
  • 200 posts
Really not looking forward to my favorite characters getting Quantum Leaped.

Candidate 88766

Candidate 88766
  • Members
  • 3,422 posts
Ships can still travel without Relays. Galactic trade would be impossible, but systems and small clusters would do okay.

Stranding the Normandy so they can found a new colony is terrible though imo. A disappointing sendoff for the characters.

NovemEnuma

NovemEnuma
  • Members
  • 110 posts

DaftArbiter wrote...

NovemEnuma wrote...

In a fictional game that lets us pick our own endings.

OH WAIT NOW YOU CAN'T BECAUSE WE WANT TO FORCE SOMETHING ON YOU :D

I'm not saying "preorder canceled" but this royally sucks the fun out of the game for me. Everything about making our own destiny...down the drain. Fallout 3 all over again!

BioWare said the ending(s) would make some people upset. The Mass Effect series is a dark sci-fi series, the best you can expect for almost anything in it is bittersweet. I mean...each Mass Effect game had a heroic, yet bittersweet ending. The "happiest" one would be Mass Effect 1, and even then, you knew impending doom was coming.

Edited by NovemEnuma, 28 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

SonofOrion

SonofOrion
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Candidate 88766 wrote...

Ships can still travel without Relays. Galactic trade would be impossible, but systems and small clusters would do okay.

Stranding the Normandy so they can found a new colony is terrible though imo. A disappointing sendoff for the characters.

You can't even sustain a gene pool with those numbers. They're doomed.

DaftArbiter

DaftArbiter
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts
And a DLC is exactly what I want. This is not "CURZE YOU, BIOWARE, A THOUSAND POX UPON YOUR SOX!" but rather a request for them to make ONE final gesture to the benefit of fans who followed this game and took it every bit as seriously as they did, to make it all possible.

Aurora313

Aurora313
  • Members
  • 4,612 posts
What about the people who wanted a happily ever after with the LI! Come on!

I wanted Shepard to live a broken/diminished existance for the rest of his days with his LI.

I'm sorry, but it's a huge let down. ME1 and ME2 had these huge, monumental endings that made you feel like you were a god, accomplishing everything to perfection. But I gotta say, I'm highly disappointed.

Edited by Aurora313, 28 February 2012 - 01:19 PM.

erosinda

erosinda
  • Members
  • 163 posts
How about you jump to your conclusions on the ending once the game is released and not based on a script leak that is months old? Personally, bioWare would be shooting itself in the foot if there was no "happy" ending.

It should be difficult as heck to get, because you're fighting Reapers, not your kittens. If it's too easy to get (like "No one left behind, got it on my first run through") then it's pointless. Bittersweet? I would accept that.

Adds a replayability to it if you want your perfect ending. There has to be some consequences somewhere, this game is based on choices, options and morality. If you cut corners and expect the perfect ending, you're in for a surprise.

If there is no happy ending, I'm sure BioWare is expecting a trove of hate from the fans and maybe a huge drop in their profits because no one is going to keep buying their games if they emotionally invest players for 8+ years just to troll them. Would be a bad business move.

I need my happy ending, but I expect to work for it and I hope I'm not disapointed on how to obtain it. Even if I have to replay the damned game over and over and suffer through horrid heartbreak until I find the ending I'm happy with.

NovemEnuma

NovemEnuma
  • Members
  • 110 posts
 Just wait for the surprise ending, the one you get for beating New Game+. Maybe it will be...happier.

Big I

Big I
  • Members
  • 1,914 posts
I was prepared to be forced to see Shepard have to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the galaxy. I wouldn't have liked it but I was prepared for it. I was even prepared to see the Normandy and crew die, or Earth be a devastated ruin. I wasn't prepared for what they did to the galactic civilization.

The ending makes me feel like everything Shepard and co. did, all they sacrificed, was for nothing. These endings don't count as victory. It's just trading one horrible fate (the Reapers) for another one (the collapse of civilization)