Photo

Recieved large amount of credits in multiplayer mode.

260 replies to this topic

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
I recieved a large amount of credits (millions) after a multiplayer
match. After checking it out it seems other people have had the same
thing, It's probably from when the host has modified their game files.

Any way, I made the mistake of spending said credits just to see what sort of stuff you get out of spectre boxes. I bought a lot, like, loads.

Anyway tried to play the game again today, 'this account is invalid'. Contacted EA support it turns out my account is banned because of 'suspected credit hacking'.

Now, I wouldn't mind if I can't play the multiplayer anymore, it's my own stupid fault for spending said credits.

However
this also means I can't access any of my single player DLC, I had
already recruited the DLC character, I was wearing DLC weapons. It's effectively screwed up my game.

It's so frustrating, I barely even play multiplayer games, to me mass effect is a single player series, I was only playing multiplayer to get galactic readiness to 100% so that I could feel my single player game was 'perfect'.

Anyway, consider yourselves warned.

hangmans tree

hangmans tree
  • Members
  • 2,111 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Damn, is this for real? So playing with a host whose files are modded can get you banned? O_O

BIOWAREEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Sherana

Sherana
  • Members
  • 283 posts
Standard operating procedure for EA- ban first, fail to ask questions later.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
I actually had no notification that this was what had happened either - I sent an email and went through live chat twice (first time they hung up on me before i could type anything) - before they could tell me why my DLC wasn't working anymore.

Anyway they've 'escalated' my problem to their senior team, hopefully I can at least get access to my DLC back. I don't even care about playing multiplayer, it's repetitive and boring, I was only playing it for galactic readiness.

hangmans tree

hangmans tree
  • Members
  • 2,111 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
This is serious, it cant be this way that innocent players suffer for a reason they do not have control of. How are we to know whos hosting the game and will it affect our stats/credits? It can cause paranoia, I for one may chose not to play MP because of that.

What did suport say? Are they looking into it? are they checking as to lift the ban off your account?

Guest_Aotearas_*

Guest_Aotearas_*
  • Guests
That's why every important data belongs on the server, not on the local computer to have people screw with it.

I hope this gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction, because obviously, banning one user for spending the credits he got because another player hacked the game is plain wrong.

That said, the punishment for those users that actually mod their games and use it in MP, be it simply modifications or the malignent hacks as you experienced it, should increase by orders of magnitude for them drawing innocent others into this issue, getting them banned even though they aren't responsible.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Seriously, I hope they do fix it.

I've been a devout bioware fan for years, ever since KOTOR and Jade Empire. Have bought every game they have released and pretty much all the DLC aswell for the recent ones.

But this has left a really sour taste in my mouth, and if I cannot access the digital deluxe content I paid for, this is the last bioware game I'm buying. By trying to appeal to a wider audience by tacking on an untested, unsecure, buggy multiplayer mode they have effectively ruined my single player experience for the time being.

snfonseka

snfonseka
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts
This is really bad, but this is the typical way EAs' customer support works.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
The funny thing is I even bought a couple of spectre boxes with bioware points before this happened, to try and give myself a head start in multiplayer. Guess that's bioware points down the pan, hah.

snfonseka

snfonseka
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts
^ Don't spend your real money on a buggy system like this. At least wait until they patch the game properly.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Regardless of the rest of it, I think getting banned from multiplayer servers causing you to lose access to your DLC brings up a whole bunch of legal issues.

Do people get refunds for the DLC?

dw99027

dw99027
  • Members
  • 600 posts
So you got banned for e-fencing? Jeez. That's a first.

snfonseka

snfonseka
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts
One thing I don't understand, if the MP related info is in client side instead of server side why BW didn't use a proper encryption mechanism?

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Oh it's so ironic, I could be playing ME3 right now with the DLC if I was willing to pirate it and modify some files.

I've always tried to stay legit and support publishers I like though.

I mean hell, look at my DLC list for mass effect 2
http://www.genocidal...s.co.uk/me2.jpg

I'm not even angry or anything right now, I'm just sad and upset. I've been waiting for this game for so long and now my experience of it has been tainted because of multiplayer and EA, two things that should never have been part of the Mass Effect series T_T

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
At least I suppose I can get a full refund since I'm still within the seven day cooling off period under UK law. They legally have to refund me under the Distance Selling Regulations. I guess I'll give them till tomorrow to fix it, else I'll just pursue a refund under UK law.

Will be a shame not to play the last game in a series I loved so much, but this absurdness has to stop at some point :(

Conduit0

Conduit0
  • Members
  • 1,742 posts
Well, this is basicly the ban issue all over again. There was a big stink shortly after DA2 came out where people who got banned from the BSN lost access to their DLC content. I would think EA would have learned it lesson the last time, but apparently not.

All I can suggest is keep at it with customer support, eventually they'll cave and fix things, especially since they can't legally deny you access to single player content thats bought and paid for regardless of what their MP ToS is.

Also if hosts hacking their game is effecting other players and those players are getting banned for it, this will get real ugly, real quick.

hangmans tree

hangmans tree
  • Members
  • 2,111 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
From my experience you play almost every match with different people. Its like HIV, every 20 minutes 3 people get affected.So 9 people every hour by the same culprit. 9 bans an hour. I wonder how many gamers were affecte by now.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Oh yeah, I remember that whole Dragon Age 2 thing. It's not quit the same though, at least I've been banned for in game stuff rather than forum stuff.

Like I say, my own stupid fault for spending the credits. It was pretty obvious it was a glitch of some kind. I don't mind if I don't have access to multiplayer, but I would at least like access to the single player content I paid for.

I couldn't care less about multiplayer, really. Hell if it's anything like the demo it will be unbalanced as hell with people cheating everywhere anyway.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
And hangmans, I would expect that the perpetrator himself has already been banned by this time. Since he would be earning that many credits EVERY match :P

AkiKishi

AkiKishi
  • Members
  • 10,898 posts
I'll stick to MP solo I think. I would not be a happy bunny if they locked my linked account.

suliabryon

suliabryon
  • Members
  • 179 posts
Wow, this is a SERIOUS issue! Especially since there is a large percentage of people who are, or will be playing multiplayer (like me) who are RPGers who have never played this kind of online co-op game before, and there may be some legitimate confusion and misunderstanding when playing with other people who are, unbeknownst to them, cheating.

I mean, what are we supposed to do if we end up in a random MP match with someone hacking for credits, and we don't realize this until the end of the match when we get 1,000,000+ credits? If we spend them, we get banned, so suddenly no spending credits? No buying recruit/veteran/spectre packs? To be frank, that would suck. What, we report it to EA and hope for the best? IDK, maybe I don't have to worry as much about this issue as an Xbox player, but it certainly has me feeling some anxiety about the multiplayer now. And the funny thing is, I am actually really enjoying the multiplayer aspect of the game. I would like to be able to keep playing it without worrying that someone else's lack of scruples might get me banned.

I think a moderator should sticky this thread so people can know what's going on, and be updated as to how EA addresses it.

LordNige

LordNige
  • Members
  • 207 posts
Does PC not have punkbuster or other anti hacker software?

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
The cheats that people are using only work on the PC version as far as I'm aware sulia, It's not something console players need to be scared of.

And as far as I'm aware, no, Mass Effect 3 does not have punkbuster nor any kind of anti-cheat prevention. Like the single player game, you can simply edit coalesced. Remember in ME2 there were tutorials on how to edit coalesced to get any weapon you wanted, any skill you wanted, all that? People are doing that.

DOGGEH84

DOGGEH84
  • Members
  • 139 posts
Looks like for now I will only be playing multiplayer with friends.

suliabryon

suliabryon
  • Members
  • 179 posts
Still, while it doesn't effect me, I can just imagine how many people it can and will effect. I, for one, want to know how EA will end up handling this, and I still think this thread should be stickied. I'm very sorry to hear about your ban, Jack, and I hope EA lifts it from your account.