Tweak coalesced.bin = banned?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts
Now that Origin is required to play ME3 I was wondering something:

Do we get banned if we play that game with a tweak coalesced file?

Do we need to stay offline then?

Thanks for your responses.

stu_

stu_
  • Members
  • 352 posts
social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-General-Discussion-No-ME3-Spoilers-allowed/Recieved-large-amount-of-credits-in-multiplayer-mode-9689886-1.html

That post should give you a rough idea.

Semtex Jack

Semtex Jack
  • Members
  • 89 posts
I think vario is referring to single player only, in which case, since all the data is stored on your computer, how would they know?

If they're monitoring what people do in SINGLE player games it will really set a new precedent. I don't think anyone has been banned for altering a single player PC game before.

OdanUrr

OdanUrr
  • Members
  • 8,879 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I think that as long as it's SP you're good.

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts

Semtex Jack wrote...

I think vario is referring to single player only, in which case, since all the data is stored on your computer, how would they know?

If they're monitoring what people do in SINGLE player games it will really set a new precedent. I don't think anyone has been banned for altering a single player PC game before.

But I'm still online even when I play SP. They can still look at my game files.

And when I play offline what happens to my DLCs? Are they still available?

OdanUrr

OdanUrr
  • Members
  • 8,879 posts

variobunz wrote...

Semtex Jack wrote...

I believe you cannot play DLCs offline, but I could be wrong.

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts
If I download the DLCs, they are on my hard drive, right?

So it shouldn't be a problem to play offline, right?

Zeratul20

Zeratul20
  • Members
  • 699 posts

variobunz wrote...

If I download the DLCs, they are on my hard drive, right?

So it shouldn't be a problem to play offline, right?

Unless if they require constant authentication, instead of a one shot activation. But it would be weird if that was the case. (I don't know, though.)

Dungeoness

Dungeoness
  • Members
  • 26 posts
I don't even see a coalesced.ini file anywhere in ME3's folders.

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts
Well, I guess I'll try. If the DLCs are available in the offline mode I'll stay there with my c.bin file.

Thanks to all you guys :)

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts

Dungeoness wrote...

I don't even see a coalesced.ini file anywhere in ME3's folders.

It's a bin file now.

Arcadian Legend

Arcadian Legend
  • Members
  • 8,686 posts

OdanUrr wrote...

variobunz wrote...

Semtex Jack wrote...

I believe you cannot play DLCs offline, but I could be wrong.

I know you can play DLC's on consoles offline, but PC's? No idea.

DieVarieties

DieVarieties
  • Members
  • 73 posts
PC player here. Yes, you can play the DLC in offline mode. I'm up to about 3/4 through the game and I had no problems with the DLC.

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts

DieVarieties wrote...

PC player here. Yes, you can play the DLC in offline mode. I'm up to about 3/4 through the game and I had no problems with the DLC.

Thanks. Good to hear.

Spectre-61

Spectre-61
  • Members
  • 854 posts
BTW: Why does EA bother to bann people because they or their host have a tweaked c.bin?

I mean this isn't a versus MP. It's co-op. Other players are not in any disadvantage if your team mate has minor modifications in his/her file.

But that's just me.

BanditGR

BanditGR
  • Members
  • 715 posts
Why does EA bother to ban people for using tweaks ? Simple. If those tweaks provide access to credits (that are being used to buy packs) or even worse gear, they will ban them outright, since their purpose is to make people want to purchase the packs, for real money/Bioware points.

Killjoy Cutter

Killjoy Cutter
  • Members
  • 6,005 posts
This was my concern when the MP cram-on was first announced, and again when forced Origin was announced.

EA comes across as being pretty hostile to modding to begin with.

Without modding, replay value goes way down, to the point that the game isn't worth the initial purchase price.

Edited by Killjoy Cutter, 08 March 2012 - 02:58 PM.

jelf rs

jelf rs
  • Members
  • 230 posts

BanditGR wrote...

Why does EA bother to ban people for using tweaks ? Simple. If those tweaks provide access to credits (that are being used to buy packs) or even worse gear, they will ban them outright, since their purpose is to make people want to purchase the packs, for real money/Bioware points.

Yea probably this.

Tbh I don't think they'll bother banning people if they didn't come up with the idea of selling the packs for real money first.

And there are people who actually really buy those packs with real money. So they have to ban someone to frighten people from hacking the credits so that people will keeping buying those with real money.

Killjoy Cutter

Killjoy Cutter
  • Members
  • 6,005 posts
I understand why they wouldn't want people modding MP.

The problem is they're very unlikely to differentiate or care if someone who never plays MP mods the game to improve their SP experience -- the "punishment" is likely to be identical.

Edited by Killjoy Cutter, 08 March 2012 - 07:52 PM.

PerfectLife

PerfectLife
  • Members
  • 92 posts
Why do they do this? Because they're control freaks. If you don't like it, don't do business with them because complaining on the internet about it isn't going to help you.

marstor05

marstor05
  • Members
  • 708 posts
simple answer. don't cheat.

Alien1099

Alien1099
  • Members
  • 383 posts
Apparently they have gone with a half assed approach to multiplayer if altering your SP files affects MP gameplay. It is stupid if they ban you for altering something with the intention of changing your single player experience. That is literally one of the STUPIDEST things I've ever heard about in the history of gaming.

DieVarieties

DieVarieties
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Killjoy Cutter wrote...

The problem is they're very unlikely to differentiate or care if someone who never plays MP mods the game to improve their SP experience -- the "punishment" is likely to be identical.

Yep, that's it.  Remember that long thread in the Tech forum about coalesced.bin and it got deleted with no warning whatsoever?  That told us what was coming.  As someone says... "here's your sign!"  And now, here we are.

chimpdaddy121

chimpdaddy121
  • Members
  • 57 posts
its best for you guys to check the crysis 2 forums cause the exact same scenario occurred where surprise surprise another EA dev could not create separate files for modding sp and mp.

Killjoy Cutter

Killjoy Cutter
  • Members
  • 6,005 posts

marstor05 wrote...

simple answer. don't cheat.

Modding a single-player game IS NOT CHEATING.

Modding with no intent to play in the MP mode IS NOT CHEATING.