Photo

Please Give Us Back the Original Ending

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

ReachEtaruN74

ReachEtaruN74
  • Members
  • 69 posts
I hate to be the jerk who criticizes all the hard work done and from the sidelines at that, but I don't know who decided that changed the overall story arc was a good idea, but you had the most brilliant ending dropped into your lap and you threw it away for an ending that in no way gives any sort of justice to the masterpiece you almost created -- the legacy you almost left.

Do something.

Bring back the original writers for an "Ilos," for a "suicide mission," and for a "take earth back."

Please. FIX THIS. I BEG YOU.

http://www.ign.com/b...lers.250066288/

EDIT: I don't care if you patch it, or DLC it. Do SOMETHING. Your fans deserve this.

EDIT: The fact that the script was leaked is incredibly unfortunate, but just because it was leaked, doesn't make a good story stop being good. Also, it is up to the individual whether or not they choose to read it. I didn't because I wanted it to be a surprise and I only recently did because I was so shocked by the current endings.

EDIT:
In order to justify the idea that the current ending needs replacing, here are a few issues:
Lore Inconsistencies
If the citadel is a self-aware entity and the keepers only respond to the citadel, the events of mass effect 1 should not have ever happened.
The Reapers are unknowable... but we explained them comprehensibly in the space of no more than 8 sentances.
A mass effect core "dispersing," "dissasembling," or "exploding" all produce the same result: the destruction of an entire cluster.

Philosophical Falacies
Let me get this straight. To *save* organics from the *inevitability* of being killed by synthetics (created by them), you created a race of synthetics to kill organics. To control the "chaos" of organic evolution (which seems oddly predictable if you can point to anything and call it the pinnacle or point to a guaranteed action/response...) you created the Reapers to wipe out all advanced civilizations. Then you say, it is to "protect" organics from creating synthetics that must rebel and commit genocide, you preemptively commit genocide using synthetics?
Which is it? Controlling chaos or protecting organics from genocide? Both fail on an internal philosophocal level and in the execution.
Conflict is *not* inevitable (as is demanded by the catalyst) as witnessed by the (paragon) option of the geth reuniting with the quarians.

Edited by ReachEtaruN74, 11 March 2012 - 07:43 PM.

DeathScepter

DeathScepter
  • Members
  • 3,837 posts
Argeed

Malachite73

Malachite73
  • Members
  • 45 posts
Amen... why would they throw out Drew Karpyshyn's ending. The Dark Energy idea is brilliant.

SandTrout

SandTrout
  • Members
  • 4,171 posts
Better than what we got.

Simply fading to black with Shepard and Anderson sitting next to each other, with some sort of epilogue would have been better than what we got, though.

DarkSpider88

DarkSpider88
  • Members
  • 1,504 posts
I like that better. So your telling me the original ending was changed because it leaked?

singing_pigs

singing_pigs
  • Members
  • 35 posts
Eh, the Reaper's motivation is embedded too much into the story of Mass Effect 3, if they tried to bring back this ending too much would have to change. And I don't think the concept is inherently better. The issue with the ending now is in the execution.

ReachEtaruN74

ReachEtaruN74
  • Members
  • 69 posts
The Reaper's motivation is hinted at throughout the entire series and to say that the ending must be changed because it was leaked by a hacker is poor logic. If you thought about it long enough, you could come to the conclusion that the hacker merely confirmed. Although the hacker should be strung out to dry, this is still partially bioware's fault for so abruptly changing the overall story arc for something that simply does not fit within the universe they created.

Edited by ReachEtaruN74, 10 March 2012 - 04:21 AM.

Militarized

Militarized
  • Members
  • 2,549 posts
Wow... even that with just 2 endings is HELLA more epic and a much harder choice then what we got. Singularity has been overdone and it's boring tripe.

Malachite73

Malachite73
  • Members
  • 45 posts
The execution did have a lot to do with it... it was all dropped on us at the last 10 minutes. Still, as a petty playwright, I think I could have given them a better new ending than what they have.

@DarkSpider88: It appears so... some stupid ass hacker is responsible for tainting the original ending... all though it doesn't help that the new ending was terribly written.

Sharkey1337

Sharkey1337
  • Members
  • 629 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Hm, idk I kinda prefer the current endings to the Dark Energy ending, simply as it stuck more closely to the theme of synthetics vs organics, which the Geth vs Quarian war embodied.

Spectre_Shepard

Spectre_Shepard
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts
Wow.... that sounds loads better. Exactly the kind of ending I would've hoped for. A TRUE paragon/renegade decision. Why'd they change?

Rhayth

Rhayth
  • Members
  • 509 posts
I dunno a choice between process humans or put faith in humans...I can't see not choosing putting my faith. Still probably would have had more replayability then what I got. I won't say I liked the original idea either.

Refara

Refara
  • Members
  • 758 posts
Wow, the dark energy plot makes MUCH more sense.

Bendok

Bendok
  • Members
  • 554 posts

DarkSpider88 wrote...

I like that better. So your telling me the original ending was changed because it leaked?

No I think it was more like when Drew Karpyshyn was in charge during ME1 he had this in mind for the end of the trilogy. He left to do SWTOR mid-ME2 though and no longer had any creative control.

QuirkyGroundhog

QuirkyGroundhog
  • Members
  • 87 posts
I like both of those endings, but I can't say which I prefer.

Militarized

Militarized
  • Members
  • 2,549 posts
The Geth vs Quarians were a ****ing SUBPLOT *facepalm*, it was not something major that was brought up. This is enforced with ME2 where Legion is all "That is a minority of Geth who sided with Sovereign" essentially. I mean... that really doesn't show that synthetics will kill us all, it shows a foreign synthetic told the other ones that it's a good idea to kill them organics!

The dark energy thing I can see throwing out, and it's way to late to put that back in... unless the catalyst then explains the dark energy **** and the crucible fixes it.. then fine. Anyway, I really just think they should stick to the idea that I got from Mass Effect 3... which is you against impossible odds and your potential varying degrees of success against those odds ala ME2.

ReachEtaruN74

ReachEtaruN74
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Sharkey1337 wrote...

Hm, idk I kinda prefer the current endings to the Dark Energy ending, simply as it stuck more closely to the theme of synthetics vs organics, which the Geth vs Quarian war embodied.

The story line of the geth vs. quarians only proves that peace is possible. I do not see how the geth/quarian struggle supports your argument at all. The geth's self determination and (at least my paragon playthrough) co-existence proves that the argument that conflict is inevitable is moot.

Texhnolyze101

Texhnolyze101
  • Members
  • 2,992 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Malachite73 wrote...

Amen... why would they throw out Drew Karpyshyn's ending. The Dark Energy idea is brilliant.

Because the current lead writer thinks hes such a boss but hes not.

Sashimi_taco

Sashimi_taco
  • Members
  • 2,001 posts
The dark energy is way better, also you don't have to DIE or Kill the geth that proved themselves trustworthy.

Malachite73

Malachite73
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Sharkey1337 wrote...

But the fact you can get the Geth and Quarians to work together means that the current endings are bogus.  Besides, can you honesly tell me the Reapers are so "unknowable" when thier intentions are actually almost too simple?  The Dark Energy ending at least gives the Reapers that continued Lovecraftian feeling.

Malachite73

Malachite73
  • Members
  • 45 posts

101ezylonhxeT wrote...

Malachite73 wrote...

Because the current lead writer thinks hes such a boss but hes not.

hahahaha :D

QuirkyGroundhog

QuirkyGroundhog
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Malachite73 wrote...

Sharkey1337 wrote...

But the fact you can get the Geth and Quarians to work together means that the current endings are bogus.  Besides, can you honesly tell me the Reapers are so "unknowable" when thier intentions are actually almost too simple?  The Dark Energy ending at least gives the Reapers that continued Lovecraftian feeling.

Not everyone makes lasting peace. It's very possible for a Shepard who fails at making peace to believe that conflict is inevitable. Metagaming I know that there are best possible outcomes but the character doesn't necesarily.

Davnort

Davnort
  • Members
  • 503 posts
about that whole dark energy ending.
i dont really get it.
organics cause dark energy so thats why the are formed into reapers?

TeamLexana

TeamLexana
  • Members
  • 2,484 posts
My only problem with the ending is my crew gets stranded. I've played enough ME to know that's a BAD thing. They don't deserve that crap. SAVE THE NORMANDY CREW.

Thunder AI

Thunder AI
  • Members
  • 47 posts
Neah, I think both are bad. I'd always assumed it was the Reapers wanting to control the galaxy by removing any threat to their existence. Its that simple. They already have a leader in Harbinger, there really wasn't a need to complicate it with skykid. In fact Skykid makes the entire control thing odd by saying that synthedic lifeforms can live with other sythedic lifeforms, but not with organics but then saves some of them for some reason? that's just stupid.

The plot didn't have to get complicated, just get resolved.