Photo

Geth Pulse Rifle - Terrible

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

IAmASpaceship

IAmASpaceship
  • Members
  • 14 posts
Anyone else unluck this monstrosity?  I'm hoping someone has this thing upgraded a ton and tells me it gets better, because this weapon seems like it was never playtested at all.  Worst 60000 points reward ever.

Su37

Su37
  • Members
  • 1,147 posts
It's only practical against shields, and is virtually useless against health and armor. I like it for taking down an enemies shields, and then finishing them with a more hard hitting weapon.

Edited by SU37, 11 March 2012 - 04:08 PM.

DA Trap Star

DA Trap Star
  • Members
  • 498 posts
I agree , worse gun in the game. I cringe when I see a teammate using it.
It shoots 50 shots and does no damage.

raist747

raist747
  • Members
  • 165 posts
There are not as many enemies with shields or barriers like there was in ME2. It really shines when everyone has at the very least shielding.

Father Alvito

Father Alvito
  • Members
  • 622 posts
Shields and barriers are easily pulled if people brought good classes to the table.

The only way to make it even remotely practical is to take it on a Turian Soldier with Marksman, which permits you to reliably headshot at range with it. Even then it takes way too long to make things die, and you'd be better off with a Revenant (which isn't great either).

ZeroDivision

ZeroDivision
  • Members
  • 293 posts

IAmASpaceship wrote...

Anyone else unluck this monstrosity?  I'm hoping someone has this thing upgraded a ton and tells me it gets better, because this weapon seems like it was never playtested at all.  Worst 60000 points reward ever.

Have you seen it on a Turian Soldier running Marksman Spec, damage barrel, and piercing? It solo-burns down Geth Primes in 5-6 seconds on gold in the hands of the aforementioned setup.

I'll admit that on anything else it's OK at best, but pit it in the hands of said Turian Soldier and it becomes amazing.

Edited by ZeroDivision, 11 March 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Selandros

Selandros
  • Members
  • 50 posts
I was going to say, I use this with a Quarian infiltrator (mainly to boggle the mind) and it works great. The key is to single or burst fire the gun at the head. In addition to ruining shields, it can kill unarmed enemies in a few quick hits. It's not amazing from the word go or anything, but it is a good gun still. The arc pistol or any smg is arguably much worse.

Killmoves37

Killmoves37
  • Members
  • 171 posts
Geth Plasma Shotgun = Amazing Weapon capable of sniping.

VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex
  • Members
  • 953 posts
I don't think it's that bad. It is very accurate and has 0 recoil, large clip, and lots of spare ammo. I just wish it was lighter. But I definitely don't hate it.

Reddemon159

Reddemon159
  • Members
  • 167 posts

VirtualAlex wrote...

I don't think it's that bad. It is very accurate and has 0 recoil, large clip, and lots of spare ammo. I just wish it was lighter. But I definitely don't hate it.

I agree it's not bad, just aim for the head, and have the %20 bonus head shot damage. And also use a combo of biotics to deal more damage.

SilentCO1

SilentCO1
  • Members
  • 818 posts
The shotgun is beast. You can use it like a sniper, and it homes in on the target if the reticule is red when you shoot. Sad to hear the rifle is terrible though, just unlocked it.

crymzenassassin

crymzenassassin
  • Members
  • 137 posts
this was my go to weapon in SP..combined with Incendiary ammo its a pretty decent weapon, have yet to unlock it in MP though

mysticforce42

mysticforce42
  • Members
  • 298 posts
I've unlocked it, but haven't been using it - been trying out other weapons and busy farming. I can say that so far everyone I've seen using it stay at the bottom of the scoreboard, usually with a ton of assists but not much of anything else.

I suspect it can be good if you use ammo power, but needs further testing.

mysticforce42

mysticforce42
  • Members
  • 298 posts
I just tested the Geth Pulse Rifle II with armor piercing ammo III, on a max Marksman Turian Soldier.

It. Was. Ridiculously. Horrible.

On Silver, vs Geth, it took a full clip of 80 to strip a Prime's shields... then 4 clips - 320 bullets - to take down the Prime's armor.  This entire time you have to be out of cover, like an idiot, with the scope zoomed in, and pray it doesn't shoot back.

It takes 30 bullets.  30.  To stagger a regular trooper.  It can take upwards of 50 to stagger a pyro, which means if you see one close and Concusive Shot isn't up (because you used Marksman earlier just to kill a trooper) instead of shooting it like any sane person would do on any other class with any other weapon, you have to run away or you die.

See a rocket trooper at mid range?  Be prepared to eat at least two rockets if you engage, because there's no hope to stagger it before it fires AND the rocket staggers you, so it will buy itself enough time to fire again before it does.

During wave 10, hacking, I had to resort to using rockets because there's no way to prevent mobs from coming into the room - the thing has no stopping power, and if incoming fire keeps you in cover, you are completely useless to the team.  To be fair, the rest of the team did not exactly have a lot of firepower either - mostly it's a vanguard running around going Nova happy, which is completely useless when trying to defend a room.

During wave 11, again I had to use rockets just to keep things off me.  Thank god I carry 6 of them now >.>

Drummernate

Drummernate
  • Members
  • 5,356 posts
Read the description.

"It is less useful Vs. armor"

Equip even a level 1 incendiary round and it becomes epic. Also it is primarily for headshots, if you aim for the knee then of course it does less damage... it doesn't shoot arrows!

I personally love ALL the Geth weapons, they all have very high accuracy and are deadly in the hands of a master.

Jestina

Jestina
  • Members
  • 2,254 posts
That's the reason the geth lost, because their basic infantry weapon sucked. :D

TexasToast712

TexasToast712
  • Members
  • 4,349 posts
Mag plus heavy barrel makes it awesome.

mysticforce42

mysticforce42
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Drummernate wrote...

Read the description.

"It is less useful Vs. armor"

Equip even a level 1 incendiary round and it becomes epic. Also it is primarily for headshots, if you aim for the knee then of course it does less damage... it doesn't shoot arrows!

I personally love ALL the Geth weapons, they all have very high accuracy and are deadly in the hands of a master.

Did you miss the part where I was using Armor Piercing Ammo III?

It's still bad.  I was aiming at the head.  It still took 400 rounds, at an average about 12-15 seconds to take down a Prime.  All the while I had to stand on the open eating incoming fire.

I wish it could be useful, that's why I tested with the best ammo to augment its shield stripping abilities...but it's just terrible.  Perhaps at rank X it might be slightly more useful if the rest of your team is providing stopping power, but as it stands I don't see it being useful outside of Bronze.

Drummernate

Drummernate
  • Members
  • 5,356 posts
Armor Piercing ammo doesn't help when the gun is not meant to be used against the type of target.

Kinda like using a Pull on a brute, it just doesn't work no matter how many times you do it.

The damage modifier is set at like 1.15x instead of 1.35-50 of most AR's. Combined with the already "Low" damage, this makes it as effective as a SMG against armor. (Which is not much.)

Edited by Drummernate, 13 March 2012 - 04:23 AM.