Photo

Mass Effect 3 is a rushed and incomplete game...

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Mvin

Mvin
  • Members
  • 83 posts
...and that's probably one of the hardest things I have ever said. I really wanted to love this  game. The Mass Effect series always had a special place in my heart, and and while this won't change for ME1 + 2, ME3 has severely disappointed  me to a point where I think it should be considerably patched or even  revamped. Not the amazing parts of course: I absolutely loved the fights against the Ground-Reapers, the Geth-Hacking-scene or the  Cerberus-attack at the citadel, but it becomes obvious at so many other  points in the game that it was rushed (EA's fault?) and did not get the  same polish as its predecessors. Some examples:

[*]The Ending. Do not get me started on that, extensive lecture can  easily be found in other posts. The basic point is: Nobody is satisfied  with it. Holy **** Bioware... get it sorted, asap.[*]The journal is absolutely useless now. Relevant clusters are not  named and quest objectives do not update. This either leads to the  irritating sweeping of star systems or Google.[*]There is now only one Hub - the Citadel - which sharply contrasts ME2's hubs Omega, Tuchanka, Illium AND the citadel in ME2, which led to much more mission and environmental variety.[*]New companions are basically non-existent, fewer companions overall, no  proper personal side quests, less ship dialogue. Meh. Made the game far  less interesting to me. So much potential wasted...[*]Side quests are a joke. Even worse than the state of  side quests in ME1. I really did enjoy the diverse recruitment and  loyalty missions that led me all around the galaxy, freeing prisoners,  fighting my way up skyscrapers or infiltrating night clubs. All that is  left in ME3 are the main missions. And while they sort of replace all of the old crew missions, they simply do not live up to their sheer number and quality.[*]Dialogue and humor is inferior to ME2. There are no "Reach and  flexibilty"- or "This is my favorite store on the citadel"-lines  anymore. ME3 simply lacks the many notable, small Mass Effect moments  that can be found in every corner of the game. Besides, everyone in the  game is so depressed that it confers to my own state of mind while playing. A little bit of fun and hope here and there would have made the game so much better.[*]ME 3 does not come up with new ideas, instead it rehashes old  ones and does not bring anything new to the table. There are too many  referenced jokes and simply not enough interesting new plot or character ideas. [*]Many decisions from ME1 and ME2 only have minimal or no  ramifications at all for ME3. (Councillor Udina, Rachni, Cerberus Base). Bioware just streamlines many plot  points which absolutely devalues to time and effort put in the previous  two games.[*]Many elements are recycled from ME1+2: Music, Animations, models, clothing (most old squadmates). Not gamebreaking, but it seems like they wouldn't want to bother creating new stuff.[*]You cannot import the face of your Shepard if he/she was created  in ME1. Now, in all politeness: How do break a key aspect of the trilogy, Bioware?[*]You can't holster your weapon. OK, this may be more of a personal issue, but for me, it ruins the immersion and symbolizes the overall  lack of polish in Mass Effect 3, as the stated reason was that consoles  did not posess the necessary hardware requirements. I doubt it would  have been to hard to correct that with some proper programming. The  thing is, ME3 just didn't get this kind of polish.[/list]
Obviously, the list goes on and on. I'm sure everybody who has played the game has his own couple of points to add to it. The basic outline  is that Mass Effect 3 is still a good game, but disappointing on many  levels (the ending being the most severe issue). Most of the flaws give  the impressions that Bioware had to work with limited resources, likely  in consequence to pressure, and had to make due/improvise on  their own concepts for the final game. If that is that case, then I feel sorry for Bioware and hope that the amount of criticism from the fans puts things into perspective.

Therefore, in my opinion, the game should be re-released in a sort of enhanced edition (similar to the first Witcher) or at least patched  with a satisfying ending that does not feel like an absolute kick in the face. Because right now, Mass Effect 3 just feels like a bad dream that has crushed all my hopes for the series. And I still hope to wake up  from it to make it all undone.

PS: Thank you for reading this, this has been therapy for me.

Edited by Mvin, 12 March 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts
Shortly- I do agree with You. Totally. Until I've finished ME3 I didn't even noticed. But at the end all of that has fallen on me. Allies reduced to numbers, decisions doesn't have any impact and so on... It looks like just... Incomplete...

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts
Bump. Come on everybody! Can't You see it? Not only ending is bad. Look how few are side quests how much things are cut off!!

Unit-Alpha

Unit-Alpha
  • Members
  • 4,015 posts
The middle section feels so good, like they really took the time to make it right. The final sections, however, do feel rushed out the door.

clonedoriginzero

clonedoriginzero
  • Members
  • 618 posts
it was not rushed at all, it was even delayed for months.
just because you don't like the results doesn't mean it was rushed.

aside from the endings it was better in every way than ME2. dialogue, humor, ect.

Tossska

Tossska
  • Members
  • 122 posts
No Karpyshyn - no ME

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts
I've finished ME3 in 20 hours. It's horribly short in comparison with previous parts. And I've done most of side quests (only main quest left at the end).

Edited by Mixxer5, 12 March 2012 - 06:58 PM.

Korhiann

Korhiann
  • Members
  • 404 posts

clonedoriginzero wrote...

aside from the endings it was better in every way than ME2. dialogue, humor, ect.

I agree. Personally I think they perfected the formula.
As to there only being one hub, well they explained that reasonably well... Which is to say there is probably going to be some DLC which deals with that (Omega).
I do feel like they rushed some things like Tali's face and the ending.
Incomplete? I am really starting to hate that word. The game was most certainly complete, although whether or not the ashes DLC was actually part of the core content originally is still up in the air.

Edited by Korhiann, 12 March 2012 - 07:01 PM.

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts

And how does this relate to Mvin post? I agree completely with him. I can be wrong... But don't You see how poor is it in comparison to previous ME?

Necroscope

Necroscope
  • Members
  • 494 posts
ASIDE from the endings, I liked ME3 more than ME2 (ME1 is still my favourite though). It's the end that ruined everything for me...

I think that ME3's method of storytelling suits the saga much better than arcade missions from ME2.

Yeah, there are some aspect of the game that feel lazy, but it was the case sine the first ME. Also note that they removed many time consuming mini-games (which were simply annoying to me anyway).

Edited by Necroscope, 12 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

WarBaby2

WarBaby2
  • Members
  • 1,019 posts

No question where the merits of the game lie... and they mostly make up for the flaws.

On the other hand it sadly has much in common with DA2... put those stones away!

All I mean is, there are many similarities in the overall execution of the game... due to design choices or lack of time, I cannot tell:

- Reduced party customization (no armor changes, only certain weapons can be used because the weight system does not apply). It's more then ME 2 had, but still.
- There is only one hub, that gadually opens up/changes over the course of the game.
- There are many small fetch quests (I found something that belongs to you)
- Many dialogues are not handled in coregraphed cutscenes, but ingame
- Some cutscenes are prerendered, some are rendered ingame (extremly obvious when you look at the weapons... EDI with an Avanger Assult rifle)
- NPCs and environments are largely static setpieces

Also, there is only one ME2 character that doesn't look like she was directly importet from the prequel: Jack.

That may be nitpicking... but...

Edited by WarBaby2, 12 March 2012 - 07:19 PM.

MammaenDin

MammaenDin
  • Members
  • 6 posts
I actually have to agree.

ME1 &ME2 seemed more alive compared to ME3. Citadel feels small and lifeless. A lot of the conversations between people was just looped etc. Less quests, not so interesting quests. Also feel the story itself was much more vague and illogical. The longer I got into the game, the less I liked the "solution" to the reaper. Building such a big weapon in such a short time just seemed unrealistic, and having the whole story based on a hope that some vague plan found in a prothean archive, which was found just in the right moment, would save the galaxy seemed a bit stupid IMO.

Also the game was much more buggy than the first two. Never in the first two did I ever notice such big bugs as whole models just disappearing in the middle of cutscenes (this happened a lot in ME3)...

And then there is the endings...

Yes they delayed the game, it still does not seem remotely as complete as the first two. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, just not as much as the first two...

Bendok

Bendok
  • Members
  • 554 posts
I disagree besides the ending. I thought the game was so great except for the end.

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Necroscope wrote...

ASIDE from the endings, I liked ME3 more than ME2 (ME1 is still my favourite though). It's the end that ruined everything for me...

I think that ME3's method of storytelling suits the saga much better than arcade missions from ME2.

Yeah, there are some aspect of the game that feel lazy, but it was the case sine the first ME. Also note that they removed many time consuming mini-games (which were simply annoying to me anyway).

Yeah it's shorter now without mini- games. But ME2 as well as ME1 (my favourite also) had more NPC, quests more different areas... It was nice to just walk around on Tuchanka and talk with some Krogans. Now even rescue missions are fly and scan. We don't even have to land on Elcor planet to help them. And most painfully- my decisions doesn't really count. Well... Former teammates live or not thanks to me but what about Collector base? Udina/Anderson councilor? Many smaller things that should have impact and was reduced to war assets points? Rachni queen was supposed to be something bigger. In ME2 they even come to talk with me on Illum. And here? 120 points, go on. Every ME1 and 2 plays was somehow different. Here- galaxy looks mostly the same. And not only because 3 almost identical endings. Previously our choices had some consequences- now they don't really matter.

John Locke N7

John Locke N7
  • Members
  • 856 posts
lol, i came here expecting to disagree with out, but your statement dint turn out to be general..... all your points are 100% true and anoying =0

only difference is i still love the game, and have found work arounds to most problems.

Hey if can put up with wierd ass menu stuff, how could i have ever beaten ME1?

WarBaby2

WarBaby2
  • Members
  • 1,019 posts

John Locke N7 wrote...
only difference is i still love the game, and have found work arounds to most problems.

I do too... and i also know that it would be quite simple to fix some of these issues... which is quite annoying... ^^

UnbornLeviathan

UnbornLeviathan
  • Members
  • 782 posts
It's been nearly proven that ME 3's staff rewrote the ending after the script got leaked. So that, coupled with EA's shorter development cycles, makes it a given the ending was rushed.

Ricvenart

Ricvenart
  • Members
  • 711 posts
I agree for the most part, Crew missions should have stay and for his cost Javik should have had at least one mission post recruitment, so a little more revealing and in depth then the various arguements he has with crew members.

But the Ending for me is one of the worst "sins" a Developer can do, a rushed gappy ending over having it be full up to a point and with the possiblitity to add to it later.
The Second worst is also in the game too, They spent time to make new journal menus yet it's worse then both the ones before it. A complete mess and I got so sick of scrolling up to the top from the Power grid mission...can't even work out why it done that. Along with other features they spent time remaking and making them worse.

Edit Just to Clarify what I mean but the First one, I'd rather have bought a game that Ended at say London but the whole london bit was longer, maybe more suited to the slogan of Take back the Earth, then have a DLC to End the series at the citidel but a damn long one, over the remote chance of a "fix" now being sold and slid in between content already there.

Edited by Ricvenart, 12 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Sesshomaru47

Sesshomaru47
  • Members
  • 1,455 posts
You forgot buggy and glitchy.

Turran

Turran
  • Members
  • 534 posts
Rushed?! How can you say it was rushed?!

I feel that people who throw these claims about did not actually take the time to play the game to its most full potential.
Sure the ending was bad, but it was not rushed.
The dialogue, story and characters through-out the game were amazing. There were jokes that made me laugh and a LOT of scenes which made me feel upset.
It was a brilliant game, it fully delivered an amazing experience and just sheer amazement.

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts
I'm not saying ME3 is fundamentally bad... It's just incomplete. Like they've make half of it and stopped because of some reason. It looks like it was supposed to be much bigger give us true choices... Form galaxy as we like it or at least truly change it. And later they ripped it off and left us with just few things. Painful is fact that in last game of this great series we're doing missions without landing on planets. Why bother than? Let's just send a probe on Citadel, that'll do all job for us. If that's end I'd like to explore Thessia, not only see it burning, visit Palaven and not watch it from moon see how Elcors fight using their strange weapons... It's last chance, galaxy is burning and we're just flying from system to system scanning planets...

Mixxer5

Mixxer5
  • Members
  • 540 posts

UnbornLeviathan wrote...

It's been nearly proven that ME 3's staff rewrote the ending after the script got leaked. So that, coupled with EA's shorter development cycles, makes it a given the ending was rushed.

It seems like "cycles" are worst thing in Mass Effect ;)

Turran wrote...

Rushed?! How can you say it was rushed?!

I feel that people who throw these claims about did not actually take the time to play the game to its most full potential. 
Sure the ending was bad, but it was not rushed.
The dialogue, story and characters through-out the game were amazing. There were jokes that made me laugh and a LOT of scenes which made me feel upset.
It was a brilliant game, it fully delivered an amazing experience and just sheer amazement.

If finishing ME3 took them so much time and yet- everything Mvin states is right... Well that's bad isn't it? I'd prefer to wait few more months if game would be better thanks to that. It was supposed to be best part. Not most disappointing...

Edited by Mixxer5, 12 March 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Doomhams

Doomhams
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Sesshomaru47 wrote...

You forgot buggy and glitchy.

There was one point, think it was after I beat Kai Lang, where my shepherds eyeballs clipped through his eye lids. THAT was weird as hell to watch.

skyworkeralan

skyworkeralan
  • Members
  • 12 posts
I think the op got a point here. The overarching main quest is fine and there are many emotional moments carried on since the first game. However decisions does not weigh in properly in this game in many occasions as the op mentioned. I struggled a lot at the end of ME 2 whether to destroy the collector base or not and decided to destroy it because the games major theme is that reaper's tech is the shackle of galactic potentials and we cannot follow their trail in order to achieve the ultimate victory (of course I made other saves just in case). But apparently in ME 3, it doesn't really matter if u destroyed it or not...plot goes on. The changes might be subtle (as indicated by ems?) but I did not feel the impacts of my decisions well. And the dreadful ending...I admit I got really depressed on it to be the least

Laughing Man

Laughing Man
  • Members
  • 134 posts
I noticed most of the points you bring up, but I felt they were acceptable sacrifices to bring together the whole game... until the endings. That killed it, I'm still recovering.