Photo

Retake Mass Effect - Petition and Child's Play Donation Drive

7246 replies to this topic

UniqueName001

UniqueName001
  • Members
  • 323 posts
Hello everyone,

As of today, I have set an end goal for our fundraiser at $80,000.

The very idea that we would even be able to reach that goal was a fever dream only a week ago.  I don't believe anyone can or should consider this effort to have been anything but spectacularly successful.  As evidenced by the statement from Dr. Myzuka yesterday, we have made our voices heard.  Those of you here have taken special care to be heard in a polite, positive manner, and I believe that this is a major contributor to that success.

We have shown our sincerity and passion.  We have brought positive attention to the Retake Mass Effect movement.

Make no mistake.  This effort has been victorious.

I have been in contact with a manager at Child's Play.  First, he wanted to stress how grateful they were for our efforts here, and the huge impact it will have in helping the charity.  However, he pointed out that several sources are incorrectly assuming a link between the charity and the petition, or outright support of the petition by the charity.  This has been a source of difficulty for them, and it has been requested that we wind this effort down.  Again, I want to stress that the charity is not unhappy with our work, they are exceptionally pleased with what we have accomplished.

There will be conspiracy theorys regarding this.  Many of the public statements by Penny Arcade have been dismissive or outright derogatory of our effort.  I believe this is a failure on their part to understand our issues, but they are entitled to their opinion.  Regardless, I want to stress that I do not believe for one second that this is an attempt by anyone at Penny Arcade to silence this movement.

I also want you all to know I am acting unilaterally in this decision.  I have been provided many eloquent arguments against winding down the drive and I appreciate them.  In the end, however, I believe that now is the time for this phase of the process to come to an close.

Retake Mass Effect is not over by any means; Dr. Myzuka's statement was welcome, but did not directly address our concerns.  You have been heard.  Now it is time to make sure they get the details right :)

I will be taking a break from BSN for a time.  My sincerest thanks to everyone who has supported this effort whether through donations, publicity, or kind words.  Special thanks to the core group here who kept this thread polite, positive, and on track.

I hope to soon have an archive of the comments made on the ChipIn page located at www.wewillholdtheline.org.

To everyone here - my thanks, and I salute you.

Sincerely,

Robb

-----

The donation site is here:

http://retakemasseff...ect-childs-play

The Facebook page for Retake Mass Effect is here:

http://www.facebook....ngToMassEffect3

-----

Questions that have been brought up that I would like to address here:

When does the donated money go to Child's Play?

Right when you donate. All of the money raised goes directly to Child's Play. You are basically making a direct Paypal transaction with donate@childsplaycharity.org. The only thing that ChipIn does is to track how many people have donated and how much. There is no "goal" amount, there is no turning back. Regardless of the outcome of the petition, your donations are going to the charity.

How can I verify that this is legitimate?

Jaime Dillion, project manager at Child's Play, has graciously agreed to answer any concerns you have in terms of donations reaching Child's Play. Contact at jdillion@childsplaycharity.org.

-----

This thread is to discuss a donation drive to the Child's Play charity in order to bring positive attention to our respectful requests for an alternate ending to the Mass Effect series.

Child's Play is a charity which provides game hardware and software to Children's Hospitals around the world.  It was created by gamers and for gamers.

We are coordinating donations via the ChipIn service which acts as a neutral party to ensure all donations make it directly to the Child's Play charity.  ChipIn is the service officially recognized by Child's Play for coordination of online donation drives.  It also ensures that the donations are in the name of the cause and not any other party.  Donations can be made via Paypal.

Regardless of the outcome of this petition, we are proud to be fans of Mass Effect, and to support Child's Play.

This has leaped far beyond what I ever thought it might.  Thank you all who have supported this thread, regardless of your donation status.

Thank you.

Information about the charity and the donation processor:

Child's Play Charity
ChipIn

Edited by UniqueName001, 22 March 2012 - 08:36 PM.

UniqueName001

UniqueName001
  • Members
  • 323 posts
A Petition for Alternate Endings to the Mass Effect Trilogy

We, the undersigned, respectfully request the consideration of the following petition.

Whereas:

* Mass Effect is an interactive video game providing a detailed framework within which the player may create a unique story

* A major concept of the Mass Effect games is that your choices significantly affect the outcome of the story

* Another major concept of the Mass Effect games is success in the face of seemingly impossible odds

We believe:

* That it is the right of the writers and developers of the Mass Effect series to end that series however they see fit

However, we also believe that the currently available endings to the series:

* Do not provide the wide range of possible outcomes that we have come to expect from a Mass Effect game

* Do not provide a sense of succeeding against impossible odds

* Do not provide a sense of closure with regard to the universe and characters we have become attached to

* Do not provide an explanation of events up to the ending which maintains consistency with the overall story

We therefore respectfully request additional endings be added to the game which provide:

* A more complete explanation of the story events

* An explaination of the outcome of the decisions made, especially with regard to the planets, races, and companions detailed throughout the series

* A heroic ending which provides a better sense of accomplishment

To this end, we donate to the "Retake Mass Effect 3" Child's Play Charity drive in lieu of our signature to this petition, in order to establish our sincerity, our love for these games, and for the Mass Effect universe.

We thank you for your consideration.

Edited by UniqueName001, 13 March 2012 - 03:28 AM.

UniqueName001

UniqueName001
  • Members
  • 323 posts
The donation page is live at this address:

http://retakemasseff...ect-childs-play

PLEASE NOTE that the "item being purchased" notification on Paypal will show my email address, and not that of Child's Play (donate@childsplaycharity.org).  This is based on how ChipIn works.  You can verify that "Child's Play" appears in the upper left corner as the charity name when you reach the Paypal site.

The final receipt on your Paypal account (mat take a few minutes to process) does correctly indicate the recipient ("Payment Sent To:") is the Child's Play charity.  The email receipt from Paypal will indicate the correct destination as well.

If anyone has any concerns about the legitimacy of this donation drive, Jamie Dillion (project manager at Child's Play) has graciously offered to confirm - contact email is jdillion@childsplaycharity.org (also available from the Child's Play website).

Thank you all again for your support.

-----

A quote from the official Child's Play Fundraising Guide:

If you’re running purely as an Internet based fundraiser, it is absolutely imperative that you link directly to the Child’s Play PayPal account though ChipIn. ChipIn allows you to collect metrics on how much your fundraiser collected without having to “touch” the money. By "touching" the money, you are technically accepting money privately and then deciding to contribute the funds to Child's Play.

Any money donated never touches any third parties, including myself - it is going directly to Child's Play.  ChipIn is merely a method to track the amount of donations and donators.

Please post here or PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by UniqueName001, 14 March 2012 - 05:09 PM.

UniqueName001

UniqueName001
  • Members
  • 323 posts
Media links - discussion of the endings, the reaction, and us:

Dave Thier, Contributor, Forbes.com - Why Fans Are So Angry About the Mass Effect 3 Ending

Erik Kain, Contributor, Forbes.com - Mass Effect 3 And The Pernicious Myth Of Gamer 'Entitlement'

Jeremy Jahns, www.jeremyjahns.com/youtube.com - Mass Effect 3 Ending and Why We Hate It!

Chris Matyskiel, Robot Geek - Why the 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Movement is Making History

Ross Lincoln, Game Front - Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right

Susan Schreck, Neoseeker - 'Retake Mass Effect' movement earns over $30k for Child's Play Charity in 24 hours

Alex Cranz, FemPop Magazine - Yes, The Ending Of Mass Effect 3 Can Be Kind Of Perfect

Cody Franklin, The Daily Aztec - 'Mass Effect 3' finale massively disappoints

Ethan Powers, Attack of the Fanboy - If the Mass Effect 3 Ending is truly not what it seems, it still sucks

Crosscade, youtube.com - Ending Movie Comparison - All The Colors

Erik Kain, Contributor, Forbes - Paragons of Protest: Retake Mass Effect Raises Money For Kids

Jeff Schille, Game Rant - Retake ‘Mass Effect 3′ Petition Raises Money For Child’s Play

Chris Matyskiel, Robot Geek - Editorial: Killing Them With Kindness

stacy71477, youtube.com - Mass Effect 3 Ending - Parody

felix.seth.1, The Metagames - Why you enjoy art and the one problem with Mass Effect 3

Mark Butler, FMV Magazine - BioWare's Biggest Mistake

Becky Chambers, The Mary Sue - Everything You Need to Know About the Mass Effect 3 Ending Controversy, as Spoiler Free as Possible

To Bioware:

Thank you for making these games that we have grown so attached to, and especially for allowing this thread to continue, I imagine it is not your normal policy to allow a donation drive to be coordinated through your forum, and we appreciate it.

Acknowledgements:

Thank you to Rosery99 for coordinating between threads here on BSN, and for encouraging me to start this one.
Thank you to SoHARDCORE for coordinating with the other Retake efforts.
Thank you to DrowVampyre for the Kirrahe poster and custom signature graphics.
Thank you to SirCroft for the Child's Play ribbon banner signature graphic.
Thank you to Sl4sh3r for the War Asset fleet signatures and the combined retake/child's play signature.

Special thanks:

Thanks to everyone who is supporting this idea!

Edited by UniqueName001, 20 March 2012 - 06:17 PM.

XyleJKH

XyleJKH
  • Members
  • 1,127 posts
Sounds good. Count me in

Spectre 117

Spectre 117
  • Members
  • 804 posts
This sounds like a good idea, perhaps we could manage to get the dlc "free" to everyone by doing this. Outside of topic, how can I get that emblem of the American Fleet?

Guest_Amdnro_*

Guest_Amdnro_*
  • Guests
I'm In :)

TheAsphodel

TheAsphodel
  • Members
  • 178 posts
This is a great idea. It's an official and well-intentioned plan that will show people that it isn't merely 12-year old whiny, entitled, fanboys. It's also a different way we can get our voice out there. And if all else fails, we still help those in need.

AxisEvolve

AxisEvolve
  • Members
  • 2,738 posts
I will gladly donate.

chibilombax

chibilombax
  • Members
  • 625 posts
Probably the only reason I would pay for a fixed game. If it went to something good. Not bioware.

MelancholyV

MelancholyV
  • Members
  • 92 posts
Child's Play is a great charity. I'd love to participate in this if the plan goes through.

McBeath

McBeath
  • Members
  • 337 posts

Spectre 117 wrote...

This sounds like a good idea, perhaps we could manage to get the dlc "free" to everyone by doing this. Outside of topic, how can I get that emblem of the American Fleet?

http://i5.photobucke...ricanfleet1.jpg

Mev186

Mev186
  • Members
  • 532 posts
Good idea, I support this!

zarnk567

zarnk567
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts
This is a great charity so kudos to you OP, I will also donate as well

Spectre 117

Spectre 117
  • Members
  • 804 posts

McBeath wrote...

Spectre 117 wrote...

http://i5.photobucke...ricanfleet1.jpg

Thanks a lot :lol:

Dartbeast54q

Dartbeast54q
  • Members
  • 466 posts
This sounds good. Never heard of this ChipIn thing though, I assume I can just use my paypal to donate to it or how does it work?

vigna

vigna
  • Members
  • 1,947 posts
keep us updated...

Eirileth

Eirileth
  • Members
  • 288 posts
Seems good to me.

Will Kenni

Will Kenni
  • Members
  • 7 posts
An ingenious and worthy cause. The paragon in me is smiling at this. You can count on a donation from me.

theManic

theManic
  • Members
  • 50 posts
I would donate in a heartbeat.

UniqueName001

UniqueName001
  • Members
  • 323 posts

Spectre 117 wrote...

I got it from this thread.  They are also mobilizing war assets, which I love the idea of.

I don't want to make this about money, although I certainly would be happy if it wound up being a free DLC.  But that's definitely not one of our stated goals. I'd like to keep this as neutral as possible in that regard.

Rosery99

Rosery99
  • Members
  • 347 posts
You have my full support but you know this already, Unique. I am glad to see so many other people jumped right into this immediatly, we will have our ending guys and we will help those in need. We win two battles with one stone, Hold The Line!

Yes don't make this about the money, it isn't. This is about supporting a worthy charity and showing we aren't petulant selfish whiners, not about denying Bioware anything. Were doing this for a good cause too.

Edited by Rosery99, 13 March 2012 - 02:43 AM.

Darkspazztic

Darkspazztic
  • Members
  • 254 posts
I'm so there.

Alamandorious

Alamandorious
  • Members
  • 512 posts
I'm in.

WQFNHJNHNFNFNFBFNFN

WQFNHJNHNFNFNFBFNFN
  • Members
  • 113 posts
Brilliant idea. Not only will this mean supporting a great cause, but it will also cast the whole movement in a positive light. Even if we don't succeed, we'll be doing good.