Photo

Banned for modding single player?

27 replies to this topic

New Display Name

New Display Name
  • Members
  • 644 posts
Hypothetically:
1. I use a modded coalesced file (not to play DLC that I haven't bought) while playing single player.
2. I switch to the default unmodded coalesced file while playing multiplayer.

Would Origin still take action?

Edited by HJF4, 15 March 2012 - 08:43 AM.

New Display Name

New Display Name
  • Members
  • 644 posts
Bump.

EAT1

EAT1
  • Members
  • 83 posts
can u mod the single player without affecting the multiplayer? i haven't even looked yet, but isn't it all under the same .ini file?

stullz84

stullz84
  • Members
  • 26 posts
I tried to mod the game by injecting FXAA anti-aliasing (like I did with the 2nd game, makes it look even smoother) did not work. Could be the game uses DX11 and therefore my current fxaa app is not compatible, but so far I've seen no mods that work.

New Display Name

New Display Name
  • Members
  • 644 posts

EAT1 wrote...

can u mod the single player without affecting the multiplayer? i haven't even looked yet, but isn't it all under the same .ini file?

It's .bin this time around, but yes. It's the same file.

What I'm asking is if we would get banned from origin/etc, if all we did was use a modded coalesced file for singleplayer - and when playing multiplayer, switched to the default unmodded coalesced file instead.

Sand0

Sand0
  • Members
  • 28 posts
I wish someone at Bioware gave an answer to that. It seems to concern a lot of people. But a lot of post about tweaking the .bin are still arround...

New Display Name

New Display Name
  • Members
  • 644 posts
I would like a straight answer.

Radious87

Radious87
  • Members
  • 25 posts
Modding colaesced file is here since me1 and me2. I see no reason why should be someone punished if its for sp purposes only. If player with changed coalesced file will not join mp server then it should be all ok.

Allison_Lightning

Allison_Lightning
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Sorry, wrong thread but I'd like an answer as well. 

Edited by Allison_Lightning, 15 March 2012 - 04:56 PM.

Flobulon

Flobulon
  • Members
  • 48 posts
Is it even possible to gain any tactical advantage in MP by modding coalesced?

New Display Name

New Display Name
  • Members
  • 644 posts

Flobulon wrote...

Yes.

New Display Name

New Display Name
  • Members
  • 644 posts
Bump

Cookiegobbler

Cookiegobbler
  • Members
  • 96 posts
You need not worry. I'm playing singleplayer with a modded Coalesced that resets my ammo everytime I reload, but it only effects singleplayer, not multiplayer (Cause those lines are in diffirent sections).

EA/BioWare/Origin will not ban you for cheating in SinglePlayer since it doesn't harm anyone else.
They will ban you for cheating in Multiplayer cause that can upset the balance or give you an unfair advantage towards others.

Flobulon wrote...

Well my guess is that you could be able to make buffs such as Adrenaline or Cloak last indiffinatly or give certain classes other abilities (like giving the Engineer Singularity).

Edited by Cookiegobbler, 16 March 2012 - 03:30 PM.

houldendub

houldendub
  • Members
  • 85 posts

stullz84 wrote...

I tried to mod the game by injecting FXAA anti-aliasing (like I did with the 2nd game, makes it look even smoother) did not work. Could be the game uses DX11 and therefore my current fxaa app is not compatible, but so far I've seen no mods that work.

Game uses DX9 (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa, in two thousand and ****ing twelve). Not even a sniff of DX10, Bioware was too lazy and cut 'n' paste onto a PC disk.

Sand0

Sand0
  • Members
  • 28 posts
Bump because it's serious business

Cookiegobbler wrote...

You need not worry. I'm playing singleplayer with a modded Coalesced that resets my ammo everytime I reload, but it only effects singleplayer, not multiplayer (Cause those lines are in diffirent sections).

EA/BioWare/Origin will not ban you for cheating in SinglePlayer since it doesn't harm anyone else.
They will ban you for cheating in Multiplayer cause that can upset the balance or give you an unfair advantage towards others.

Since it's the same file, if the anticheat measure is to check if the .bin has been modified you screwed.

Tleining

Tleining
  • Members
  • 1,394 posts
@ Sand0
judging from a few complaints there aren't any scans like that. Modifications only become obvious when people start firing 20 shots from their widows without reloading once.
Of course, if you want to be on the safe side: Make a backup of the coalesced and restore it before starting a multiplayer game.

stullz84

stullz84
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Game uses DX9
(hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa, in two thousand and ****ing twelve).
Not even a sniff of DX10, Bioware was too lazy and cut 'n' paste onto a
PC disk.

Thanks for confirming it is dx9. That's what I thought . Somehow though... fxaa stil doesnt work. (wish it did, as then I could enhance the lighting a little more to my tastes, like I did in 2)

edit had the wrong quote

Edited by stullz84, 17 March 2012 - 12:55 AM.

Sorileus

Sorileus
  • Members
  • 96 posts
I tried using ENB like I did with ME2, it Works But you can't use it in MP, this was also during the demo so I donno if you'd get banned or not, I mean its one thing to adjust GFX etc etc and another if your cheating. I think to be safe I'd stay away from editing anything until more is known.

Sand0

Sand0
  • Members
  • 28 posts
@Tleining  Thanks for the answer. My main concern is the FOV (normal pc stuff). I know that if they're banning for such changes there would be a ton of threads about it. But without an official statement (statement that we'll never have)... nothing says that they will never ban for changing the .bin.
I don't want to be part of the panaroid/septic atmosphere which state that "origin is watching you" but it will be so easy for them to ban everyone and say "guy we just banned 8000 cheaters, the MP should be safe now" (I mean as easy as add a fov slider or separate the differents .ini) that I don't really enjoy the game atm (and the mp fov doesn't help). But I don't think they ban on suspicion either (it's bioware damn it!)

Edited by Sand0, 16 March 2012 - 10:42 PM.

Pandaman102

Pandaman102
  • Members
  • 1,103 posts
You shouldn't. Bioware claims they're only monitoring performance numbers (I'm guessing reward/games played ratio) and if they consistently see wildly high numbers they'll bring down the banhammer. So as long as your tweaks are only for the single player campaign, that shouldn't reflect anything in your MP numbers.

Scylla Costa

Scylla Costa
  • BioWare Employees
  • 41 posts

HJF4 wrote...

EAT1 wrote...

It's .bin this time around, but yes. It's the same file.

What I'm asking is if we would get banned from origin/etc, if all we did was use a modded coalesced file for singleplayer - and when playing multiplayer, switched to the default unmodded coalesced file instead.

Hi HJF4,

We are only taking action against players who modify their multiplayer game to gain unfair progression, unfair advantage, or affect the experience of other players.

Examples are (but not limited to):
- Increase leaderboard rating.
- Increase amount of credits received on a match.
- Increase/modify weapon/power stats.

Sand0

Sand0
  • Members
  • 28 posts
Thank you very much for the clarification. I can stop ranting and enjoying this amazing game :)

Sorileus

Sorileus
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Good to here! Now I can see if I can get ENB working in ME3 would be nice as it added a really nice look in ME2. :D

AgamenonAtreides

AgamenonAtreides
  • Members
  • 228 posts
One question? why the hell u want "cheat" on SP?, i mean in the case of the ammo someone said... c´mon every enemy you kill normally drop a magazine, and you have boxes with ammo ever 50 meters..

Allison_Lightning

Allison_Lightning
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
The EMS score affecting the game's full capacity to what meagre endings there are and the impossibility of a normal playthrough getting the score. It would be like if it was virtually impossible to get the resources they need to enhance their ship to save their teammates from death in the second game.

And before you say anything- I have a fast internet connection but my ISP has a lot of technical difficulties, and some people have internet that's so slow they can't connect and so on. Multiplayer should not be a prerequisite, it's supposed to be a bonus freebie for game owners who buy new as a bonus, not a mechanism to cripple a singleplayer experience.

Edited by Allison_Lightning, 17 March 2012 - 08:50 AM.