Photo

Mass Effect 3: Final Hours [Pictures removed due to Copyright]

2730 replies to this topic

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts
Hey guys,
So Geoff Keighley (the guy who is the host of Spike Tv's GTTV) released an iPad app called Mass Effect 3: The Final Hours (which you can find here:  http://t.co/6GvlZqQg). 

Here's the official website: ME3 The Final Hours

It supposedly has insider information on scrapped parts of the game, interviews with bioware staff over some of the moments in the game, and never before seen art work (which was also scrapped). I just bought the app and hope to update you guys later on, with any interesting news from the app. 

Also a Windows/Mac version will be out later, presumably through steam (its the same as the final hours for portal 2).

The cost is $2.99

Interesting Quotes: (Please note, some of these I'm transcribing from Video's. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. Will try rewatching the videos later and updating then.)

Mac Walters on the Star Child/Reapers
"Originally, with the catalyst, the star child at the end of the game, I had written that much more in the guise of a investigative style conversation, where there is something he tells you but then, you get to ask a bunch of questions and you get your questions answered. But then me and Casey talked and decided, lets keep the conversation "High level". Give you the details that you need to know, but don't get into the stuff that you don't need to know. Like "How long have they been reaping?" You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe. So we intentionally left those out"

Casey on after Mass Effect 3
"Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after"

On delaying the game  
In march 2011, he also faced a roomful of Mass Effect developers who expressed concern about hitting the promised holiday release date... New release date set for March 2012. After much deliberation, the CAT mission (or rather, the Prothean mission) had to be removed from the set of tasks. The missions would later be completed as post-release content"

Casey on the End Boss
'We had the final fight with the Illusive man in the game, but it just felt very Video Gamey. It didnt fit in with the themes. And really, is there a point of the end boss if only for the sake of an end boss?'

The article also states 'Although art was created for this sequence, it was ultimately dropped because it felt too predictable to end the series on a massive boss battle.'

On Tali's Face
We eventually decided that she gives you a memento of her pictures, but the team was throwing around a lot of pictures and designs until we decided on something and said "Yup, that's her".

On Deciding the End of the Game
The illusive man boss fight had been scrapped... but there was still much debate. 'One night walters scribbled down some thought on various ways the game could end with the line "Lots of speculation for Everyone!" at the bottom of the page.'

In truth the final bits of dialogue were debated right up until the end of 2011. Martin sheen's voice-over session for the illusive man, originally scheduled for August, was delayed until mid-November so the writers would have more time to finesse the ending.

And even in November the gameplay team was still experimenting with an endgame sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's movement and fall under full reaper control. (This sequence was dropped because the gaemplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement alongside dialogue choices).

Deleted Scenes Videos:
- Liara and Garrus are running behind sheppard in the run for the conduit. Garrus falls over and Liara tries to pick him up. As he gets up, the two run and are hit by a laser as sheppard watches on without hope. In the final version (which is shown beside the deleted scenes video.) the body of your team mates are on the floor dead instead. 

Edit: Sorry, those images can't be posted here due to copy right. Please do not post them on these forums. :devil: - Chris

Kay so the images were taken down, just wanted to let everyone know, Keep the discussion civil. Also if you question the authenticity of any of the things being posted here, buy the app for yourself or wait for the PC version and buy it there. I think the APP is very much worth it with all the info it has... 

Some notes
- DO NOT POST THE PICTURES. 
- Be civil
- If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will not be sending the pictures to anyone... buy the app your self if you would like to do that. 
- Keep in mind the money for this app goes towards development costs of the App. There's a lot to the app, and I personally feel it was worth $3, it had loads of information and was a rewarding read. That is all. :)

Edited by Abisco, 15 March 2012 - 09:33 PM.

squee365

squee365
  • Members
  • 1,536 posts
thank you

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts
Check out some of the stuff I added :)

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts
Kay so added a bunch of stuff about the ending of the game!

Penguins

Penguins
  • Members
  • 152 posts
Woow. I just can't fathom how no one in development saw this coming.

StrikeSaber47

StrikeSaber47
  • Members
  • 401 posts
Well there goes their marbles. That kind of stuff is what irks people like us. Bad developmental decisions.

I would not mind a Director's Cut Edition some point later like how The Witcher 1 and 2 in regards have.

2484Stryker

2484Stryker
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts
I'm probably alone in this (or not), but it seems to me that most of the stuff they cut out...I actually LIKED...

Anderson's final dialogue with Shepard included...

Giskler

Giskler
  • Members
  • 278 posts
Hopes crushed. They actually thought this godchild thing was a good idea.

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts

2484Stryker wrote...

I'm probably alone in this (or not), but it seems to me that most of the stuff they cut out...I actually LIKED...

Anderson's final dialogue with Shepard included...

They discuss the dialogue for anderson they cut as well. Everyone on their team liked it but Casey said it was "too long for the moment". 

Devil Mingy

Devil Mingy
  • Members
  • 431 posts
What the hell is finaling? Damn industry buzzwords.

Edited by Devil Mingy, 15 March 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Giskler wrote...

Hopes crushed. They actually thought this godchild thing was a good idea.

And yeah... it looks as though this is evidence to disprove the indoctrination theory... 

Lawliet89

Lawliet89
  • Members
  • 248 posts
I think this pretty much kills the Truth DLC rumour. Disappointed that they decided to end it this way.

And how are my team mates DEAD when I brought Liara along with me and then she steps out of Normandy at the end? Aong with Joker and Javik. (Surprisingly, the game thinks I got along with Javik better than the rest. Hmm)

Edited by Lawliet89, 15 March 2012 - 06:40 PM.

TudorWolf

TudorWolf
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts
They willfully cut out all the catalyst's dialogue reasoning that it wasn't "need to know"? That is just beyond ludicrous...

Flashlegend

Flashlegend
  • Members
  • 436 posts
Well there you have it folks. They really are this <insert terrible terrible things that should never be said about other human beings>

Troll on bioware, troll on.

Edited by Flashlegend, 15 March 2012 - 09:25 PM.

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts

TudorWolf wrote...

They willfully cut out all the catalyst's dialogue reasoning that it wasn't "need to know"? That is just beyond ludicrous...

Yeah. If I could post the video I would... I just wrote this all down from the video. 

IronSabbath88

IronSabbath88
  • Members
  • 1,810 posts
Those notes sound an awful lot like he's planning something later...

Just saying.

Kenthen

Kenthen
  • Members
  • 541 posts
So it's an intentionally ****ty ending so there'd be "lots of speculation"? Am I reading that correctly?

Penguins

Penguins
  • Members
  • 152 posts
It physically pains me to think they thought it was a good idea. I just have no words.

Also they might want to have put the kabosh on this exposé, considering the backlash.

v0rt3x22

v0rt3x22
  • Members
  • 2,301 posts
hahah I love "Lots of speculation from everyone" - see I told you guys! it was planned!

Lankist

Lankist
  • Members
  • 501 posts
I don't see how you can use the words "speculation" and "closure" to describe the same thing. They're sort of contradictory to one another.

Abisco

Abisco
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Penguins wrote...

It physically pains me to think they thought it was a good idea. I just have no words.

Also they might want to have put the kabosh on this exposé, considering the backlash.

Geoff is going to be releasing it for PC soon, so the videos can probably be easily extracted that way... they cant shut this up now... its gone live. 

kunzite

kunzite
  • Members
  • 205 posts
I went onto my Ipad to grab this app. Then I saw the $2.99 price tag. Nope. Sorry. Bioware hasnt regained access to my wallet yet. And from what I'm seeing posted in this thread, I'm not feeling wrong.

Visserian99

Visserian99
  • Members
  • 296 posts
I hate to say it, but isn't this pretty much the nail in the coffin for Indoctrination Theory?

Guest_Prince_Valiant_*

Guest_Prince_Valiant_*
  • Guests
Sad thing. I can't understand this decision. :(

Shadowace15617

Shadowace15617
  • Members
  • 52 posts
It dumfounds me that everyone who saw the ending and said "ya that seem pretty legit", there was no way they could have thought this would go over well with fans