Photo

Dragon Age Discovery & Learning Blog

1027 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts
Hi Everyone

Please check out the new BioWare Blog. This entry kicks off a new monthly series of questions from the Dragon Age development team that seeks input from you as to where you want to see the Dragon Age franchise should go. These questions and your answers will help the team better create games, novels, comics, etc within the Dragon Age franchise.

The question lasts 1 week. You will have the week to post your thoughts, desires, and hopes before we close the thread for review. Moderators and developers will pop into the thread to chat every now and again, so keep an eye out and come back often.

BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka has mentioned that we’d like to open up more in future Dragon Age titles, so now we turn to you: What kinds of things would you like to learn more about? Antivan weddings? Orlesian balls? The remnants of the Tevinter empire? Burial customs among the Chaisind?

What kinds of things would you like to discover and learn about the Dragon Age world?

We look forward to hearing from you. :)

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 14 May 2012 - 05:54 PM.

Melissa Russell

Melissa Russell
  • Members
  • 180 posts
I want to hear more about the Primeval Thaig and the red lyrium. :3

thebatmanreborn

thebatmanreborn
  • Members
  • 390 posts
Obviously, who Flemeth really is, where Morrigan went to, and the status of the god-child. Less obvious: where did this hatred of mages come from exactly? What happened to the dragons that caused people to think they were extinct and why are they coming back? What is up with the prophecy given towards the end of DA2? How did the Chantry get so powerful and how did they become so intertwined with the Templar?

I would love to discover entire elf cities that have never been touched by man so that the hatred wouldn't exist. I would also love to discover a new race or two and see how they fit into the world. I want to see more diversity in culture. And I would like to know a lot more about the Tevinter Empire. But even the little details, like Antivan weddings and Orlesian balls, are interesting to me. The more backstory, the better!

Jessica Merizan

Jessica Merizan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 423 posts
As a last bit of housekeeping, the purpose of these exercises isn’t crowd sourcing or soliciting your game dev concepts (keep those close in case you want to make a game someday!). This should remain a discussion between BioWare and fans about what you loved about Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2—what this franchise means to you.

Each monthly question is also not meant to be a debate so please keep things open enough for everyone to contribute their thoughts.

Edited by Jessica Merizan, 14 May 2012 - 05:56 PM.

EricHVela

EricHVela
  • Members
  • 3,980 posts
The Black City in the Fade

Graye

Graye
  • Members
  • 9 posts
In order of interest:

1) I'd like to see what a slave society led by mages, such as Tevinter, looks like. I imagine it's brutal and mean. I would enjoy punching mages and freeing slaves.
2) I want to know more about the origin and fates of the originak darkspawn, those mages that went into the eternal city and turned it into the black city, and learn more about what is going onin the black city in the Fade. Is there a darkspawn still hanging out there?
3) I want to know a lot more about the OTHER dwarven city in the deep roads. They sound like bastards.
4) I would like to take a trip the Warden HQ, where they're all supposedly jerky and the climate has really taken a turn for the worst due to all the blights

SirOccam

SirOccam
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts
Definitely Orlais. I've been dying to see it ever since Leliana first described it. I also really liked the taste of political intrigue we got in Awakening; it could be a lot of fun to have that turned up to 11.

PanamaRed

PanamaRed
  • Members
  • 11 posts
I'd like to see a more open ended world much like the Elder Scrolls series.

Barneyk

Barneyk
  • Members
  • 1,425 posts
I wanna see more of what happened with the Grey Warden, Flemeth, Morrigan and stuff from the first game.
Flemeths apperance in DA2 was great, I wanna see where that goes!
I had a child with Morrigan, what comes of that?

Besides that, I just wanna explore the world more and discover more parts of it, not in an open world kind of thing like the elder scrolls game, but more in meating interesting, well written characters and groups.

And I wanna see more of our champion as well!

Edited by Barneyk, 14 May 2012 - 06:05 PM.

mr_luga

mr_luga
  • Members
  • 666 posts
Man I want to be able to properly learn everything that was in the DLC for dragon age 2 becouse I didnt buy any of that. I burned myself buying DA2, I didnt want to put more money in there.

So a way to learn what happend there so I dont miss out would be great without having to play through it.. I guess I could just go to a wiki or a play through though but.. Would be nice to learn more about it "Properly" I think Id just want to learn more about countries and the people in it as well, get a better "Game of thrones" feel if you will, where you know alot of diffrent perspectives from diffrent people. Origins did this pretty well

EDIT, oh yeah as someone said, less paid for DLC would be nice. Somehow someone like CD Red project can give us massive updates for free, yet Bioware and huge EA can not? .... Errrr

Edited by mr_luga, 14 May 2012 - 06:06 PM.

Dragoonlordz

Dragoonlordz
  • Members
  • 9,919 posts
Sweet, totally love those sort of discussions/threads.

Direct ones, focused on specific elements for structured and well maintained constructive feedback.

On the topic and question of where or what 'place' I would like to see, Orlais is top of my list. Tevinter however I have a large desire to also explore in much more detail the history and also more importantly the difference of pro mage setting vs anti mage of past two titles but that comes second place to Orlais which due to similarity to the idea of the renaissance will remain top of list. Elements that would also be important is the obvious templar and mage war plus also would like to know much more about golden city (which became black city), the old gods, forgotten ones and the maker. Flemmeth and Sandal are of keen interest to me finding out more too which includes obviously the OGB and Morrigan, whatever happened to them.

I do not mind so much about the Warden (aka Hero of Ferelden) from Dragon Age Origins as I felt for the most part his/her story was done well enough to deserve a break/ended with maybe a suggestion that gets a mention in a following title given for the two main characters from the last two titles, the same applies to Hawke as in I do not want either to be the main protaganist in the next one but could do with a mention. The point is while I do not desire to play the Warden again from Dragon Age Origins or Hawke from Dragon age 2, I do wish to know more about the Wardens and the future of them plus finding out more about the Seekers too... and like to see gryphons make a return.

Overall however I am hoping for a more renaissance feel to Dragon Age 3 and would love it if was set in Orlais (high society setting such like MotA went in the right direction) however I am doubtful of getting such due to the way Dragon Age 2 ended and war raging. If cannot have that sort then Tevinter would be nice enough, a complete twist and turn of tables from Kirkwall and Ferelden in which both places were very much anti-mage controlled by the chantry and templars oppressing mages; switching to a society ran by mages would be an interesting title to play.

Edited by Dragoonlordz, 14 May 2012 - 07:25 PM.

ERH47

ERH47
  • Members
  • 11 posts
It would be really cool to visit the Qunari homeland in Par Vollen.

cogsandcurls

cogsandcurls
  • Members
  • 663 posts
1) I'd love to discover more about Tevinter. We've had reports from people who lived there, obviously, but it's usually from ex-slaves - it sounds like a rich, exciting place and I'd love to get more varied perpectives and experiences from it. Likewise I'm really interested in seeing how the Tevinter Chantry differs from the Chantry we know about, since there's been a split between the two. I understand we might be seeing Tevinter in the new comics, so I'm very happy about that!

2) I'd love to hear more about the Black City. What Corypheus said about it in Legacy really intrigued me.

3) I'd love to know more about Seheron and the Fog Warriors. We know so little about them, but they sound so interesting.

4) I'd like to learn what the Wardens were up to in DA2 :P

5) I'd love to learn more about aspects of Qunari daily life. We've met soldiers, priests, mages and Tal-Vashoth, but I'm quite interested in learning what life is like for your average commoner in Par Vollen.

And yes, I'd LOVE to see an Orlesian Ball! Masks essential ;D

Darth Krytie

Darth Krytie
  • Members
  • 2,097 posts
I'd like to learn more about the politics of Dragon Age. I'd like to meet more badass and fierce women in charge. I'd like to understand more about the Old Gods. I'd like to see more a connection between the player character and the settings. At times, both Hawke and the Warden seemed to just be reacting. I'd like maybe a scenario in which the player character could be more deeply involved in whatever plot's upcoming. Not just thrust into it...very willingly embroiling herself in it.Especially if the ways in which to complete quests have a more divergent impact on the storyline.

Zolt51

Zolt51
  • Members
  • 1,262 posts
Hi Chris

First off, did you say future Dragon Age games? Did I get that right?

I assume that "Tell Us The Whole Truth About The Blight Now" does not count as a valid question? Let me try again then.

Since Orlais is a rumoured setting for the next DA game, that's definitely the place I'd like to hear about. Plus everyone speaks with a French accent, which is awesome. Balls are not really my area of interest I'm afraid. How about the economy of the place? Main industries, trade roads, great fortunes and the like? Orlais is supposed to be one of the powerhouses of the setting, so what kind of people keep it running?

Edited by Zolt51, 14 May 2012 - 06:19 PM.

Setzer Daven

Setzer Daven
  • Members
  • 82 posts
Gameplay Mechanics Question: With games like The Witcher 2 implementing a slowed time mechanic in the thick of combat to keep things rolling while making choices, do you think we'll see anything like that in the upcoming Dragon Age game?

Story Question: What happened to Morrigan and the child my Warden helped her create at the end of Dragon Age: Origins?

Edited by Setzer Daven, 14 May 2012 - 06:20 PM.

andraip

andraip
  • Members
  • 452 posts
What I would like most to see would be kossith females :D and since they're mostly in Qunari controlled lands a trip to Par Vollen wouldn't hurt :)

I'd like to know more about the past of those giants, I mean there appeared out of nowhere and started an invasion, was it all planned out or where there just desperatly fleeting something and happy to see unoccupied lands (except for some weaklings running around). And why there were Ogres in the Blights far before kossith were known to exist.

Oh, and I want to know if Sten is the new Arishok if you killed the old one :D

deuce985

deuce985
  • Members
  • 3,516 posts
-Flemeth and Morrigan's plot resolved. What exactly is both scheming and what is their role in the Mage vs. Templar conflict? Is Flemeth really a god? The Dallish implied so. What about Morrigan's child?

-I want to explore Tevinter Imperium. I want to see how their society is so different from the rest of Thedas. They're very open to Mages--even using blood magic. How does their society survive? Does all blood magic lead to avenues of evil and corruption? Is there no good in it at all? Surely not everybody in Tevinter Imperium is corrupted. If all blood magic was bad, how would TI's society survive? I want to see how different their verse and views of the Chantry are. Will they use the rising conflict in Thedas as a opportunity to spread the Imperial Chantry throughout Thedas again and weaken White Divine and Orlais? What is the Black Divine like?

-What is up with the Primeval Thaig and the red lyrium within DA2? We never fully understood that or the inhabitants...

-True origins of the Blight? How does Mages relate and what is the nature of the corruption? What about the Old Gods?

-Where does the Eluvian lead to?

-What happened to the Elven gods?

-What really happened to Kal Shurak?

-What happened to Hawke and the Warden? Why does so many important figures in the DA universe just disappear?

-I want to explore Qunari society(non-military) and see how they live amongst themselves. Tallis mentioned it's potentially chaotic?

-The band of the three in DA2 implied Kirkwall was made out of magic symbols and a giant city for blood sacrifices. Tevinter Imperium was weakening the Veil for a blood ritual. What was the ritual for? The forbidden ones? Something worse?

Edited by deuce985, 14 May 2012 - 06:41 PM.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts

Zolt51 wrote...

Hi Chris

Yep. If you read the blog we refer to potential computer games, P&P games, Facebook games, etc. Lots of possibilities for the future all still to be explored.

Lianaar

Lianaar
  • Members
  • 762 posts
I am curious about witches. They do not seem to fit into the generally acknowledged and known magic system, they are different and enigmatic. Very few is known of them, and I wonder if the name witch has something in common, or if they are all different and or unique and we just name any magically gifted woman we don't know a witch?

For some reason I am very curious about Antiva. It seems to be a rather controversial place with way more chances of intrigue as Orlais (to me). Nothing appears to be what it seems to be in Antiva, while people believe the appearances. None believes in appearances in Orlais. I might have a wrong comprehension of it of course.

There was a building in the Dalish origin, where the architecture was strange and there was some hint about a time when the relation of elves and humans were different then that described in "contemporary" history. While I didn't see every lore, I didn't see reference to this at later points.

More about the differences of fade creatures. Aka, is Wynne to become a second Anders? Are there other Wynne like cooperations and where does it lead?

Story wise, I felt that DA2 is the beggining of a situation, and that situation had so many wonderful possibilities for surprise and involvement, that I would very much hate to see it go to waste. I personally would prefer to see it from Hawke's perspective most of all, but regardless, seeing where the chaos that started to boil leads is very much in my focus.

Edited by Lianaar, 14 May 2012 - 06:41 PM.

falloutkitten

falloutkitten
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Where did ser-pounce-a-lot go? Would like to see Tevinter, mages/slaves like where fenris came from. (and more fenris!)

Brockololly

Brockololly
  • Members
  • 8,993 posts
The Hero of Ferelden, Morrigan, Old God Baby and Eluvian Land. Whats the deal with all that?

And more about Weisshaupt, the Anderfels, the Uncharted territory south of the Korcari Wilds and the south west corner of the Thedas map because that territory just sounds interesting:
Posted Image

Edited by Brockololly, 14 May 2012 - 06:39 PM.

Dragoonlordz

Dragoonlordz
  • Members
  • 9,919 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Zolt51 wrote...

Hi Chris

Yep. If you read the blog we refer to potential computer games, P&P games, Facebook games, etc. Lots of possibilities for the future all still to be explored.

While I addressed what would like to see myself regarding setting for DA3 here in this very thread above.

With regards to new products I have mentioned time and again my desire to maybe see Bioware plushies of the members of team which like pokemon we can collect them all and have our own Bioware team on shelves. On more serious note one thing I seriously cannot stress enough I would love to see is a format of book much loved and I am sure played a part in the concept of the titles Bioware makes to begin with... I am talking about choose own adventure books but with Dragon Age in the format of 'choose your own adventure' style of which I grew up loving and even today still vastly enjoy. Akin to the types Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston used to create (fighting fantasy as an example).

Edited by Dragoonlordz, 14 May 2012 - 06:44 PM.

Master of U

Master of U
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Gonna keep things short for a change: obviously we need more Leliana. Orlais seems like a perfect setting for that too. Oh and Alistair

samuraislider3

samuraislider3
  • Members
  • 3 posts
From a technical point of view, I'd like to see a new engine. I think the fans would gladly wait for an engine that could handle a thriving city full of people. When I wandered around Kirkwall, I wanted to be brushing past the people, like Ezio in Asassin s Creed. It felt empty, and I felt alone; for a city that was supposed to be overcrowded.

From a story point of view, I would love to see the Black City in the Fade. I remember wandering the Fade, and looking out into the expanse, and wondering if I could get out there and see it. Take me there in Dragon Age 3!