Photo

If DA has separate studio, why delay DA3 for SW:TOR Content?

23 replies to this topic

RussianSpy27

RussianSpy27
  • Members
  • 424 posts
 http://gamerant.com/dragon-age-3-delayed-the-old-republic-cj-147982/

This is old news, but why delay DA3, which is developed by a unique team in Canada over SW:TOR content being developed in Texas?

What are they gonna do - put David Gaider on a SW:TOR plot?

DarthChicken

DarthChicken
  • Members
  • 85 posts
I think if I were you, I'd put a little less stock in what analysts say Bioware is doing.

Edited by DarthChicken, 12 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

AkiKishi

AkiKishi
  • Members
  • 10,898 posts
They transfered the old writer of ME3 to TOR so it's possible. TOR is life or death it's more important than anything else.

Leoroc

Leoroc
  • Members
  • 396 posts
I really think it is more likely that DA3 isn't delayed, if anything it got moved up a little bit. Canceling Exalted March though just makes the stretch between look longer. Instead of spending resources on what would have just been a band-aid in the eyes of many to DA2 they decided to go full force into working on DA3 with more time to do it.

Mary Kirby

Mary Kirby
  • BioWare Employees
  • 722 posts

RussianSpy27 wrote...

This is old news, but why delay DA3, which is developed by a unique team in Canada over SW:TOR content being developed in Texas?

This particular idea always makes me laugh. Jennifer Hepler and I both finished work on SWTOR before any work on DA2 even started. Unless a time machine is involved, SWTOR can't cause any delays for our future projects. 

Maclimes

Maclimes
  • Members
  • 2,374 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Mary Kirby wrote...

RussianSpy27 wrote...

This particular idea always makes me laugh. Jennifer Hepler and I both finished work on SWTOR before any work on DA2 even started. Unless a time machine is involved, SWTOR can't cause any delays for our future projects. 

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Bioware employs time machines to distrupt their own projects! :whistle:

thats1evildude

thats1evildude
  • Members
  • 5,782 posts

Mary Kirby wrote...

Of course you'd make such a claim. You'll say anything your Reptilian overlords make you say. :alien:

Edited by thats1evildude, 12 July 2012 - 11:08 PM.

RussianSpy27

RussianSpy27
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Mary Kirby wrote...

RussianSpy27 wrote...

Thanks for repying, Ms. Kirby.

I think the author of gamerant's article means that going forward, there may be plans to allocate time to future improvements to SWTOR, but I believe your reply clarifies that the author is mistaken as to BioWare's plans in this respect.

lx_theo

lx_theo
  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

Mary Kirby wrote...

RussianSpy27 wrote...

And now my 99% likeliness of total speculation has been upgraded to 100%.

Thank you.

Arthur Cousland

Arthur Cousland
  • Members
  • 3,238 posts
After Awakening and DA2, I don't mind DA3 delays.

Yrkoon

Yrkoon
  • Members
  • 4,718 posts

Mary Kirby wrote...

So...  what do they have you two working on now?

Gotholhorakh

Gotholhorakh
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts

Arthur Cousland wrote...

this++

Chiramu

Chiramu
  • Members
  • 1,502 posts

Gotholhorakh wrote...

Arthur Cousland wrote...

this++

I think it would depend on how much work was done on DA3 during those delays to make the delays worthwhile. If the game is delayed from release and no work was able to be done on it it's not a good thing :<.

Cimeas

Cimeas
  • Members
  • 772 posts
Awakening was pretty good value for £20, imho.

Arthur Cousland

Arthur Cousland
  • Members
  • 3,238 posts

Chiramu wrote...

Gotholhorakh wrote...

Arthur Cousland wrote...

this++

I think it would depend on how much work was done on DA3 during those delays to make the delays worthwhile. If the game is delayed from release and no work was able to be done on it it's not a good thing :<.

Of course.  I've just seen enough rushed content from Bioware that I don't mind seeing them push back release dates, hoping that they're using the extra time productively.

AkiKishi

AkiKishi
  • Members
  • 10,898 posts
That extra delay did the ME3 ending a lot of good....

thats1evildude

thats1evildude
  • Members
  • 5,782 posts

BobSmith101 wrote...

That's because they spent that extra time watching Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs and decided that vague, confusing endings were the greatest thing ever.

Gotholhorakh

Gotholhorakh
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts

Arthur Cousland wrote...

Chiramu wrote...

Gotholhorakh wrote...

Arthur Cousland wrote...

this++

Of course.  I've just seen enough rushed content from Bioware that I don't mind seeing them push back release dates, hoping that they're using the extra time productively.

Yes, I suppose we'd hope for a relaxed schedule rather than actual delays - I'd think that aiming for DA3 to be the same size as, or larger than DA:O would be the ideal, but there's a snowball's chance in hell of that. :crying:

Kidd

Kidd
  • Members
  • 3,493 posts

Maclimes wrote...

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Bioware employs time machines to distrupt their own projects! :whistle:

Yeah, that's it. Now I'm angry. Time to bring out the green-shimmering pitchforks. Uh, you know, green shimmer from Braid - things immune to time travel...?

Yeah 'twas a bad joke =(

Yrkoon wrote...

So...  what do they have you two working on now?

Smoooooth ;)

BobSmith101 wrote...

Considering no ending at all was written back at the original release date, I'd say it did. Now can we please not make this another ME3 ending topic?

Androme

Androme
  • Members
  • 753 posts

Mary Kirby wrote...

RussianSpy27 wrote...

Am I the only one who is alarmed by this?

Yrkoon

Yrkoon
  • Members
  • 4,718 posts

Androme wrote...

Mary Kirby wrote...

RussianSpy27 wrote...

Am I the only one who is alarmed by this?

You mean, that it almost sounds like SWTOR is currently void of writers?  Yeah, I wouldn't be too alarmed.  It's not.   The IP has its own writing staff.  Some of the DA crew  have simply contributed to it in the past.

Anyway, I'd still like to know (for just my own  curiosity as a huge fan of Kirby's and Hepler's work) what they're currently working on.   Don't need anything profoundly specific, just, you know, what sort of project.   I don't think that's something  they're  prohibited from talking about.  Mike Laidlaw, for example,  has already  flat out publically stated a few months ago that he's currently working on the next Dragon Age project.

Edited by Yrkoon, 17 July 2012 - 01:27 PM.

dns19

dns19
  • Members
  • 5 posts
i trust them.They listen to the fans. They did it in DA 2 DLC ( i loved DA 2 to be fair and was sad the expansion was cancelled ) . They also saw what happened in ME 3 ( i hope they evolve it into future DLC, especially in romance options ) and they wouldnt risk any ..backlash again.

Dragon Age will fuse both DA:O and DA 2 . It's gonna be epic.And i believe it will come to us late 2013 probably.I guess we ll know by December.!!
My only wish is they bring back Morrigan,Flemmeth and Leliana as i want to see them evolve in their greatest potential.Whether evil or good.They had hinted us Morrigan in future DA 2 DLC , so i still hope they are still on board with her character.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 24,486 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
I hacked into BioWare's supercomputers (it involved feeding the gerbils fresh strawberries) and discovered that Mary and Jennifer are assigned to Stuff™ and Things™.

I hope this helps.

ianvillan

ianvillan
  • Members
  • 906 posts

Maria Caliban wrote...

I hacked into BioWare's supercomputers (it involved feeding the gerbils fresh strawberries) and discovered that Mary and Jennifer are assigned to Stuff™ and Things™.

I hope this helps.

No it doesn't help why aren't they working on This and That instead.