I like this game a lot but I have a little bone to pick with an issue of copying voices and faces of people without telling them

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests
So this game is great, but about one month ago I posted that I recognized Bherats voice (the karta head dwarf commoner quest) and somebody said it was a famous voice over actor.

Well, I watched a Blockbuster original terrible film a few months back that had a novice cast... but, I suffered through the movie because I was bored.

I realized a few days ago that is where I heard Bherats voice from. Some no-name wannabe actor in a movie called: Pirates of the great salt lake.

That was the first thing I had a little bit of an issue with. Next, I noticed that the face of the main cult bad guy in the temple was the face of the guy that goes, "this is sparta" in 300.

Those two things popped out for me. there were a few other small ones. did anyone else notice this or other things like this?

Edited by Legacy_QuEsT, 17 December 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Viglin

Viglin
  • Members
  • 836 posts
You must fun to take to a movie.

ct1615

ct1615
  • Members
  • 146 posts
1) its "plagiarism"

2) you do realize C&D list actors supplant their incomes with voice over for video games, commercials, TV cartoons, etc?

3) i think everyone realizes gerald bulter/leonidas was used as the model for the dragon cult leader.

4) the only plagiarism was the entire story being a rip-off from LoTR

ct1615

ct1615
  • Members
  • 146 posts
5) oh the the whole grey warden thing would be self-plagiarism

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests
I doubt that actor knows that Bherat is a copy of his voice

ct1615

ct1615
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Legacy_QuEsT wrote...

I doubt that actor knows that Bherat is a copy of his voice

im sure the check from Bioware for voice over services rendered gave him a hint

Viglin

Viglin
  • Members
  • 836 posts

ct1615 wrote...

1) its "plagiarism"

2) you do realize C&D list actors supplant their incomes with voice over for video games, commercials, TV cartoons, etc?

3) i think everyone realizes gerald bulter/leonidas was used as the model for the dragon cult leader.

4) the only plagiarism was the entire story being a rip-off from LoTR

We should rush out and call the makers of The Last Crusade...oh and Joan of Arc....and...well you get the idea.

Op-Worry less, enjoy more.

Daveyboy154

Daveyboy154
  • Members
  • 130 posts
It isn't exactly plagiarism to use an actor that has acted before, in something else. It isn't even plagiarism to have a character that looks like someone else. Hell, they publicly announced the models that Leliana and Morrigan were based on!

interesting03

interesting03
  • Members
  • 223 posts
Bherat is voiced by Pat Fraley who is actually quite famous, I'd assume this movie you're speaking of is plagiarising his voice, rather than the other way around.

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests
if somebodies voice is used they should get paid for it. that actor probably doesn't even know his voice is being copied and used by a voice over professional

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests

interesting03 wrote...

Bherat is voiced by Pat Fraley who is actually quite famous, I'd assume this movie you're speaking of is plagiarising his voice, rather than the other way around.

pat fraley is a voice teacher. He has many many voices. but why did he have to copy some unknown actors voice without telling him.

ct1615

ct1615
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Legacy_QuEsT wrote...

if somebodies voice is used they should get paid for it. that actor probably doesn't even know his voice is being copied and used by a voice over professional

it's more the likely the exact same person...actors can work as voice over talent (most do)...there is no law against it

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests

ct1615 wrote...

Legacy_QuEsT wrote...

it's more the likely the exact same person...actors can work as voice over talent (most do)...there is no law against it

dude! pat fraley played the voice for Bherat. He makes voices for cartoons and other stuff. famous guy. His voice for Bherat was a copy of some no-name actor from an unknown movie.

that's not fair unless u tell the guy ur copying his voice and @ least pay him something.

Viglin

Viglin
  • Members
  • 836 posts

Legacy_QuEsT wrote...

interesting03 wrote...

pat fraley is a voice teacher. He has many many voices. but why did he have to copy some unknown actors voice without telling him.

If your going to die from this, ld suggest going to IMDB[Internet Movie Data Base], put in the name of the movie, the actor, whatever...and cross index with the voice work of the actor.

Seriously, lve seen some complaing threads on here...but wow.

Unless your the unknown voice actor....

AiyanaLindari

AiyanaLindari
  • Members
  • 150 posts
People can have similar voices you know.

Daveyboy154

Daveyboy154
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Viglin wrote...

Bingo

kevinwastaken

kevinwastaken
  • Members
  • 621 posts
This thread is weird, even for these forums.

Tonya777

Tonya777
  • Members
  • 1,452 posts
Yeah sure and its plagerism too because

Alistair kind of looks like Chris Jericho

Wynne looks like your grandma

Loghain looks like your grandpa

The dog resembles that dog from that one movie

Sten looks like Will Smith 40 years in the future

Zevran looks like Link from Zelda

Lelianna looks like my little sisters friends mom

Shale looks like that pile of rocks in your front yard

Ogrehn looks like Mario Batali

ITS ALL PLAGERISM THEN! (GASP!)

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests

Viglin wrote...

Legacy_QuEsT wrote...

interesting03 wrote...

If your going to die from this, ld suggest going to IMDB[Internet Movie Data Base], put in the name of the movie, the actor, whatever...and cross index with the voice work of the actor.

Seriously, lve seen some complaing threads on here...but wow.

his name is Larry Bagby

and in the IMDB it does not mention Dragon Age, which means he did not get paid or know about his voice being copied

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz
  • Members
  • 2,710 posts
You are presuming that the VA even knew of the existence of this guy from this film you saw let alone deliberately copied his voice. You do not know this and for all you know the guy from the film copied someone else that you don't know of.

Tonya777

Tonya777
  • Members
  • 1,452 posts
Kolgrims hair and beards ****in brown and 300 dudes was black though so wtf?

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*

Guest_Legacy_QuEsT_*
  • Guests

FlintlockJazz wrote...

You are presuming that the VA even knew of the existence of this guy from this film you saw let alone deliberately copied his voice. You do not know this and for all you know the guy from the film copied someone else that you don't know of.

somebodies voice belongs to them, a VA makes or copies voices, that is his job. The actor has his own voice.

TheGreenLion

TheGreenLion
  • Members
  • 437 posts
If you're dead certain there's plagiarism, why are you posting on these forums and not getting ready for court?

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz
  • Members
  • 2,710 posts

Legacy_QuEsT wrote...

FlintlockJazz wrote...

somebodies voice belongs to them, a VA makes or copies voices, that is his job. The actor has his own voice.

So because it just happened by coincidence that he used a voice similar to this other guy then they owe him money?  And how do you know that the actor used his own voice?  You're grasping at straws mate, and I seriously question why you care, since it's blatantly obvious that they didn't plagiarise the voice, if you believe otherwise go let this other actor know, and he can go and try and sue and fail and lose what little money he has.

Tonya777

Tonya777
  • Members
  • 1,452 posts
Can someone even sue on behalf of someone they don't even freaking know? lol