Photo

Jean-Luc's High Res Textures: Trilogy Edition

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

JeanLuc761

JeanLuc761
  • Members
  • 6,480 posts
Since most of the activity on this board is now concentrated around Mass Effect 3, it makes very little sense to continue posting in my Mass Effect 2 version of this thread so here's something a little more all-encompassing. For those of you not familiar with my Mass Effect 2 texture mods, you can still find the original thread right here as well as all the currently released mods for Mass Effect 2 (and some for Mass Effect 1).  Effectively, this mod is aimed at providing higher resolution textures in key areas throughout the entire Mass Effect trilogy, with a heavy focus on characters.

In order to use any of these mods, you're going to need to use a program called Texmod, which can be found here.

For instructions on how to use it, see below.

Retail (Disc):
1. Extract Texmod to a separate folder on your hard drive (ex: C:\\Program Files\\Texmod)
2. Create a sub-folder inside your Texmod folder called "Modifications" (or anything else you'd like, this is just for organizing.
3. To save time in the future, create a shortcut to Texmod's EXE on your desktop.
4. Open Texmod, and click on the folder at the top of the interface.  When it prompts, select masseffect.exe or masseffect2.exe for ME1 and ME2 respectively.  This tells Texmod what game to replace textures for.
5. To load a modification (or several), make sure Texmod is on the "Package Mode" tab, then click on the small folder icon in the center of the interface (directly to the left of "Created By...). 
6. Choose what mod(s) you wish to use, then click "Open."
7. Click "Run" and you're ready to go!

Steam Users:
The process is very similar to Retail users, but there a couple steps you'll need to take in order to trick Steam into properly using Texmod. MAKE SURESTEAM ISN'T RUNNING FIRST. The steps below will be the trick itself; for the rest, use the steps outlined above:
1. Locate your masseffect2.exe (ex: C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\mass effect 2\\Binaries)
2. Create a back-up of the exe and place it in a separate folder, just in case anything goes wrong.
3. Rename masseffect2.exe in "Binaries" to something like "masseffect2texmod.exe" or whatever you prefer.
4. Create a copy of texmod.exe in the ME2 Binaries folder, then rename it to masseffect2.exe so Steam recognizes it when loading the game.
5. Open Steam, then load Mass Effect 2. Texmod should come up, and you can follow the same steps outlined for "Retail (Disc)" in order to load the mods you want.

Those steps apply to both Mass Effect 1 and 2.  For Mass Effect 3, you can follow the instructions in this PDF.  

That said, let's get to the mods.  I will do my absolute best to keep this up to date and organized, so if you folks have any problems please don't hesitate to let me know!

File hosting kindly provided by LordProtector.

MASS EFFECT 1

Garrus Vakarian Low-Res Face Fix: Download Here.
Dr. Chakwas Lab Coat (2048x2048): Download Here.
Default Shepard Face (2048x2048): Download Here.
Liara T'soni LOTSB Face (2048x2048): Download Here.

MASS EFFECT 2

Tali (4096x4096): Download Here.
Jacob (4096x4096): Download Here.
Miranda (4096x4096): Download Here.
Legion (4096x4096): Download Here.
Garrus (4096x4096): Download Here.
Jack (4096x4096): Download Here.
Thane (4096x4096): Download Here.
Samara (4096x4096): Download Here.
Grunt (4096x4096): Download Here.
Mordin (4096x4096): Download Here.
Kasumi (4096x4096): Download Here.
Zaeed (4096x4096): Download Here.

Default Male Shepard Face (2048x2084): Download Here.

MASS EFFECT 3

Tali Default (4096x4096): Download Here.
Liara Default (4096x4096): Download Here.
Legion (4096x4096): Download Here.
Miranda (4096x4096): Download Here.
Miranda ALT OUTFIT (4096x4096): Download Here.
Mordin (4096x4096): Download Here.
Grunt (4096x4096): Download Here.
Samara: Download Here.
Ashley "Restoration" Patch: Download Here.
EDI Default (4096x4096): Download Here.

I will be updating this post with appropriate screenshots once I figure out how to display them without clutter.  For now, enjoy these select screenshots from Mass Effect 2 and 3.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by JeanLuc761, 27 June 2013 - 08:17 PM.

• CourtneyKay likes this

MACharlie1

MACharlie1
  • Members
  • 2,977 posts
Not letting this thread get buried. ;)

Has Tali's ME2 texture been updated to ME3 canon?

Abraham_uk

Abraham_uk
  • Members
  • 8,598 posts
Pretty good stuff. All amazing improvements with one exception.

Thane. His textures particularly his eyes and clothes have actually been reduced in quality in my opinion.

But fantastic stuff. Keep up the good work. You still have my support.

JeanLuc761

JeanLuc761
  • Members
  • 6,480 posts

MACharlie1 wrote...

Not yet.  The ME3 version accurately reflects her "canon" appearance, but I haven't updated the ME2 version.  I'll make sure to do that soon!

Abraham_uk wrote...

Thane. His textures particularly his eyes and clothes have actually been reduced in quality in my opinion.

Fair enough; I have to admit, Thane looks a lot more...flat, for some reason.  I'll be revising the texture soon.

Edited by JeanLuc761, 01 August 2012 - 10:56 PM.

MACharlie1

MACharlie1
  • Members
  • 2,977 posts

JeanLuc761 wrote...

MACharlie1 wrote...

Not yet.  The ME3 version accurately reflects her "canon" appearance, but I haven't updated the ME2 version.  I'll make sure to do that soon!

Abraham_uk wrote...

Fair enough; I have to admit, Thane looks a lot more...flat, for some reason.  I'll be revising the texture soon.

Needs a new norm map. :whistle:

I've been playing around with some normmap generators for that texture with mixed results. But it'd be awesome if the hexagons had the same effect that Miranda has on her suit. Jacob's suit could also use a new norm map like that on his hexagon areas. 

Edited by MACharlie1, 01 August 2012 - 11:14 PM.

DJepic112

DJepic112
  • Members
  • 483 posts
You're just now working on ME3?

JeanLuc761

JeanLuc761
  • Members
  • 6,480 posts

DJepic112 wrote...

You're just now working on ME3?

I've been busy with school and work.  :unsure:

Spartanburger

Spartanburger
  • Members
  • 1,405 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy.

This thread makes me happy.

Fredvdp

Fredvdp
  • Members
  • 5,803 posts
I'd like to point out that Garrus' face in ME1 can be fixed with an ini tweak. It's probably not as high res as the Texmod, but it's handy for those who don't want to use Texmod at all.

http://social.biowar...1/index/7738642

Edited by Fredvdp, 02 August 2012 - 02:09 PM.

Alienmorph

Alienmorph
  • Members
  • 2,428 posts
Man, you're going to make me return to play the whole trilogy, and ME3 in particular, much more than the EC did... thanks :D

Can I ask you a couple of relatively easy thingies? Can you manage to have Liara's LOSB face in ME1, and somenthing to replace Ash Williams' bimbo face in ME3 with her original one? The face model's itself has been altered too much?

Anyway, thank you again for your hardwork... especially for HD Tali, off course :D

Edited by Alienmorph, 02 August 2012 - 07:27 PM.

Didact2401

Didact2401
  • Members
  • 212 posts
Awesome! Been waiting for you to get back in the game! Loved your ME2 textures and can't wait to see what you do for ME3!

Shpashe Moween

Shpashe Moween
  • Members
  • 49 posts
Thanks for your, JeanLuc. May I ask if you'll be coordinating your mods with those published in the thread established by smarteck (http://social.biowar...index/9735492/1)?

Didact2401

Didact2401
  • Members
  • 212 posts
Best if they do their own thing IMHO because the style of each individual varies.

SliPaladin

SliPaladin
  • Members
  • 578 posts
YEEEEES you're back!!!

ZackG312

ZackG312
  • Members
  • 643 posts
The king has returned

I loved your mods for ME2

CrazyRah

CrazyRah
  • Members
  • 5,022 posts
Oh man i'm eagerly awaiting all mods that will come out of this thread. So much pretty <3

Shpashe Moween

Shpashe Moween
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Didact2401 wrote...

Best if they do their own thing IMHO because the style of each individual varies.

Wondering because it seems that the modders working with smarteck are going to focus solely on the textures for multiplayer although there are still many unmodified single-player armor textures.

JeanLuc761

JeanLuc761
  • Members
  • 6,480 posts

Alienmorph wrote...

Man, you're going to make me return to play the whole trilogy, and ME3 in particular, much more than the EC did... thanks :D

Can I ask you a couple of relatively easy thingies? Can you manage to have Liara's LOSB face in ME1, and somenthing to replace Ash Williams' bimbo face in ME3 with her original one? The face model's itself has been altered too much?

Anyway, thank you again for your hardwork... especially for HD Tali, off course :D

That was easy.

Posted Image

http://www.gamefront...1.rar ]Download here.[/url]

Ashley's "old" appearance (so far as I can make it) will be uploaded tomorrow (well, later today).
Posted Image
Default is on the left, her "old" appearance is on the right.

Also, Miranda's redesign should be arriving soon as well.

Edited by JeanLuc761, 03 August 2012 - 04:54 AM.

Jesse

Jesse
  • Members
  • 296 posts

JeanLuc761 wrote...

That was easy.

*snip*

You trolling us with the messed up link JL??? haha, just joking, have fixed it up for you...:bandit:

Download here.

Edited by gilberto3001, 03 August 2012 - 06:19 AM.

Jesse

Jesse
  • Members
  • 296 posts
And great to see a fresh new thread for all your awesumness with the vastly improved textures for all the characters we love, thank you for coming to the ME3 texture party after all, glad you could make it :)

Alienmorph

Alienmorph
  • Members
  • 2,428 posts

JeanLuc761 wrote...

Alienmorph wrote...

That was easy.

Thankies. Since I have to deal with Ash for the first half of the game, at least now she looks more like her.

DimiBlue

DimiBlue
  • Members
  • 35 posts
for the Ashley and Liara me3 textures in me1 thing, I notice that all the texture mods involve painting out the extra lip skin that over flows; I might have a better solution that would involve remapping the UVs from the old placement to the new (averaging out any extra added UVs) and then using that data to re-render the new texture to the old UV layout.

the benefit of this system is once I do the ground work, It'll work both ways (old textures on me3 characters, or new textures on ME1 characters).

the other thing is that the actual models of Ashley and Liara have not been altered too much (Ashley has a lower neck line now as part of her facemesh, which is partly responsible for her UVs changing) so this should bring them in line with however a user wants them to look.
Source: http://www.lucasforu...&postcount=1554

I have 2 more months of Uni this year, I might give this method a try, with your permission JeanLuc, I'd like to use your Liara texture that you added enhancements to for LotSB for a version.

Another thing, if I might ask; what resolution are the textures your able to rip out of ME3? I as because smarteck's mod involves ripping them using Texmod at 1024, and then up scaling them to 4096. I'm not saying they don't look good, but that's a testament to smartecks texturing skill (I'd love to see his unflattened Photoshop files), not the quality of his ripps; subsequently you can see the distorsion from the upscaling on the faces of characters.

I read your guide on ripping the textures from ME2 at 4096, and would love to know if you can reproduce that at me3.

Edited by DimiBlue, 03 August 2012 - 01:43 PM.

JeanLuc761

JeanLuc761
  • Members
  • 6,480 posts

DimiBlue wrote...

for the Ashley and Liara me3 textures in me1 thing, I notice that all the texture mods involve painting out the extra lip skin that over flows; I might have a better solution that would involve remapping the UVs from the old placement to the new (averaging out any extra added UVs) and then using that data to re-render the new texture to the old UV layout.

the benefit of this system is once I do the ground work, It'll work both ways (old textures on me3 characters, or new textures on ME1 characters).

the other thing is that the actual models of Ashley and Liara have not been altered too much (Ashley has a lower neck line now as part of her facemesh, which is partly responsible for her UVs changing) so this should bring them in line with however a user wants them to look.

I have 2 more months of Uni this year, I might give this method a try, with your permission JeanLuc, I'd like to use your Liara texture that you added enhancements to for LotSB for a version.

Another thing, if I might ask; what resolution are the textures your able to rip out of ME3? I as because smarteck's mod involves ripping them using Texmod at 1024, and then up scaling them to 4096. I'm not saying they don't look good, but that's a testament to smartecks texturing skill (I'd love to see his unflattened Photoshop files), not the quality of his ripps; subsequently you can see the distorsion from the upscaling on the faces of characters.

I read your guide on ripping the textures from ME2 at 4096, and would love to know if you can reproduce that at me3.

I rip all the textures at their standard resolution, whether it be 512x512, 1024x1024, or 2048x2048 in rare cases.  I upscale them in photoshop to an appropriate resolution (usually 2048x2048 for faces, 4096x4096 for bodies), then completely paint over the texture with higher resolution brushes and detailed textures.  

MACharlie1

MACharlie1
  • Members
  • 2,977 posts

JeanLuc761 wrote...

Also, Miranda's redesign should be arriving soon as well.

:o Booyah. 

BTW, we ever going to get that NPC pack for ME 1/2? Please? :innocent:

I wish they just changed the textures for ME3 and didn't update the damn UV maps. 

Edited by MACharlie1, 03 August 2012 - 07:38 PM.

SliPaladin

SliPaladin
  • Members
  • 578 posts

JeanLuc761 wrote...

DimiBlue wrote...

I rip all the textures at their standard resolution, whether it be 512x512, 1024x1024, or 2048x2048 in rare cases.  I upscale them in photoshop to an appropriate resolution (usually 2048x2048 for faces, 4096x4096 for bodies), then completely paint over the texture with higher resolution brushes and detailed textures.  

A video guide would help a lot, it would also inspire other people to start working on textures.